PDA

View Full Version : NJ - Boot licking columnist sez - "Stop whining about TSA pat downs"

Anti Federalist
06-20-2011, 12:44 PM
LoL, the next post from this bootlicking suburbanite that I'm going to post, will be him whining about all the hate mail he's getting since writing this suck ass column.

Stop whining about TSA pat downs
Sunday, May 8, 2011
By GREGORY RUMMO
COLUMNIST

http://www.northjersey.com/columnists/rummo_gregory/121480609_Stop_whining_about_TSA_pat_downs.html?pa ge=all

With all the media-induced complaining by air travelers that led to weeks of negative media coverage aimed at the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) for pat downs gone wild, I felt like a jilted lover during my security screening at Newark Airport on my way to Kansas City last week.

Not one squeeze. No touching. Not even a firm handshake.

All I got was casual eye contact and a forced smile.

I was on my way in less than 15 minutes from the time I presented my identification and boarding pass until I was gathering my belongings on the other side of the x-ray scanner.

Based on my past travels, this ho-hum nonchalant walk through security is actually a fairly common experience for me.

In fact I cannot remember one unpleasant encounter with any TSA official ever in any airport in the United States. And as a business traveler, I have been through quite a number of airports since Congress created the TSA during the Bush Administration shortly after 9/11.

Is it luck? My innocent baby face?

Maybe it's my attitude. Maybe it's because I don't go looking for trouble.

I have always treated the TSA screeners with great respect and admiration. I am grateful for what they do—unlike the geezer who was immediately in front of me in line.

After setting off the metal detector's alarm, he decided to start mouthing off to an otherwise cheerful screener after being told to remove his belt with the huge buckle and walk through again.

"If I take off my belt, my pants will fall down," he complained.

If you don't shut-up and take off your belt, you may have to remove more than your pants, I thought to myself.

He was actually very lucky that the screener was in a good mood. If you are unfortunate enough to set off the metal detector twice, you are a prime candidate for a pat down.

While there have been accusations of excessive fondling by overzealous security screeners, such incidents are few and far between given the number of airline passengers each year and given that the very nature of a legal pat-down is close enough to excessive fondling to begin with.

It's described as a two to four minute thorough going over of the human body, during which time the screener can search any area where a bomb might be concealed, including but not limited to bras, the groin area, and even underneath fat folds.

Given that description, and the fact that somewhere between a half billion and a billion people board planes in the U.S. every year, you'd think we'd be hearing daily reports of Roman-style orgies at security checkpoints across the country.

But just the opposite is true.

The initial furor from outraged journalists looking for bogeymen where none existed appears to be over.

At least until some overzealous screener's path crosses some poor old 80-year-old grandmother in a walker and some overzealous journalist decides to make hay with the story on a slow news day.

Notwithstanding, amidst all the celebration over Osama bin Laden's demise, let's remember how we got here in the first place:

On a picture-perfect day in the late summer of 2001, 19 Arab terrorists hijacked four airliners, dragged box cutters across the throats of the flight attendants and the flight crews, and then converted those airliners into fuel-laden missiles, murdering over 3,000 Americans, and forever changing the way we view the world.

Go ahead. Pat me down.

Kade
06-20-2011, 12:48 PM
"Notwithstanding, amidst all the celebration over Osama bin Laden's demise, let's remember how we got here in the first place:"

Certainly not from digitally strip searching people's wives and daughters.

Email is gjrummo@optonline.net

He's heard from me before, and he is getting another piece. I'm so tired of this shit.

Anti Federalist
06-20-2011, 12:51 PM
POV of somebody who is a "true believer".

Heat and light over TSA column
Sunday, June 19, 2011
By GREGORY RUMMO
COLUMNIST
Print | E-mail

http://www.northjersey.com/news/transportation/airports_aviation/124171003_Heat_and_light_over_TSA_column.html

My May 8 column written in praise of airport TSA officers generated both heat and light—so much so that I deemed the topic worthy for a follow-up piece, especially since I have subsequently passed through several more airports during recent travels to Colorado and California.

In all three airports including Newark, I continued an unbroken streak of smooth and problem-free encounters with TSA personnel who comported themselves like professionals.

The heat came largely from reader comments that appeared below the e-version of the column. One writer claimed I "wasn't doing my job," a silly comment since in fact, I was doing my job as a writer, "journaling" my travel experiences.

I also received several e-mails directly – one from a reader, who claimed he travels "a quarter of a million miles per year," which I politely pointed out amounted to 10 times around the world. He wrote that he could attest to the "retaliatory screening nature of the TSA [and] their incompetent and under-educated workforce." He also wanted to know how much the TSA paid me to write the piece. (I should be so fortunate.)

Another writer sent a letter to my home taking me to task, labeling me a "Neocon," and including a copy of the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights. He also invited me to attend a meeting of the John Birch Society at a local senior citizens center.

The light came from several TSA officers. The e-version of my column had been picked up by an industry newsletter and circulated around the country.

One who works at John Wayne Airport in Orange County, California, wrote: "We as TSA officers are constantly updated on the latest intelligence as to what threats are out there. Our screening procedures are developed to mitigate these threats. Though most of the public does not understand why we do what we do, there is a good reason behind it."

A supervisor writing from DFW in Dallas, Texas, wrote: "Most complaints come from the one time fliers, people who are late for their flight and can't check their bag (and now have too many liquids), or people looking to pick a fight."

I assume none of the TSA-critics would have a problem with a police force—a taxpayer funded, deputized group of people with law-enforcement authority meant to keep us safe from evil people intent on hurting us.

The John Bircher would probably say that a police force comes under "State's Rights."

But the preamble to the Constitution clearly defines maintaining "domestic tranquility" and "the common defense," as two general duties of the federal government. Terrorists with bombs in their shoes and their underwear attempting to board US airliners are very real threats to domestic tranquility.

We live in a largely free society, nonetheless, we rely on a willingness to enter into a "social contract" – a process of mutual consent, in which we all agree to abide by common rules and accept corresponding duties to protect one another from violence and other kinds of harm.

(Ummm - please point out to me where I consented to have my 4th Amendment rights waived. And don't even for one second say it gave it when I consented to fly. Bullshit. TSA is rolling out in locations other than airports all across the country - AF)

"As I walk through the baggage claim area and see all of the people greeting their loved ones with hugs and tears of joy, that is another flight that landed safely in part [due to] the dedicated and hard work of all of our TSA officers," the TSA officer who works at John Wayne Airport concluded.

The inconvenience we all must endure is a small price to pay to keep us safe.

heavenlyboy34
06-20-2011, 12:53 PM
http://xbradtc.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/facepalm.jpg

Anti Federalist
06-20-2011, 12:53 PM
"Notwithstanding, amidst all the celebration over Osama bin Laden's demise, let's remember how we got here in the first place:"

Certainly not from digitally strip searching people's wives and daughters.

Email is gjrummo@optonline.net

He's heard from me before, and he is getting another piece. I'm so tired of this shit.

Good to see you Kade, really.

Check out his follow up to hit on the points that he still doesn't seem to understand.

Pericles
06-20-2011, 01:01 PM
The only mention of safety that I can find in the Constitution is here:

The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.

Either the writer has a different Constitution than I do, or ascribes to it a different role for government than I find contained therein.

Chieppa1
06-20-2011, 01:25 PM
I'd share this with people, but I won't give the guy traffic. Maybe I'll see him at a deli or something. Then I can get my 2 cents in.

HOLLYWOOD
06-20-2011, 01:26 PM
h xxp://www.gregrummo.com/ (http://www.gregrummo.com/)

http://www.gregrummo.net/ViewLargeCoverforWeb.jpghttp://www.gregrummo.net/gregrummo/images/new_cover_VFTGRAL_sm.jpg

Tonewah
06-20-2011, 02:21 PM
I like how he didn't say, "I went through the x-ray scanner," but opted to just say, "gathering my belongings on the other side of the x-ray scanner". It was probably just the metal detector, anyway. If it WAS the x-ray scanner, he pretty much loses the argument because you either have the pat-down or the x-ray.

This is exactly why I don't fly anymore: Idiots like this 'writer'. I'd hate to be on a plane with someone so dumb. He might open the emergency door mid-flight or something.

You can't protect me from stupid, TSA, not with all the invasive, cavity-search-pat-downs in the world.

Bern
06-20-2011, 02:32 PM
"With all the media-induced complaining ..."

The unwashed masses are only complaining because the media made them? lol