PDA

View Full Version : The campaign needs to write better press releases!

swissaustrian
06-20-2011, 11:57 AM
This press release is really poorly done:

A four-part statement on restoring fiscal discipline

Today, 2012 GOP presidential candidate Ron Paul issued a statement on what his budget priorities will be if elected. See statement below.

“As President, I will not be able to waive a magic wand and solve all of our problems overnight. I will have to work with Congress and build consensus from the American People.

“But, there are several things that I will do right away to strengthen the fight for Constitutional government.

“First, I will veto any spending bills that contribute to an unbalanced budget.

“During these tough times, the American people are tightening their belts and making sacrifices to make ends meet. So should government.

“Second, I will veto any spending bill that contains funding for Planned Parenthood, facilities that perform abortion and all government family planning schemes.

“Like millions of Americans, I believe that innocent life deserves protection and I am deeply offended by abortion. It is unconscionable to me that fellow Pro-Life Americans are forced to fund abortion through their tax dollars.

“As a Congressman, I’ve never voted for any budget that includes funding for Planned Parenthood. Instead, I’ve introduced the Taxpayers’ Freedom of Conscience Act to cut off all taxpayer funding of abortions, so-called “family planning” services and international abortionists.

“Third, I will direct my administration to cease any further implementation of ObamaCare.

“And fourth, I will on day one of my administration begin to repeal by Executive Order unconstitutional and burdensome regulations on American business. I will be the first President to shrink the size of the Federal Register. We must create a favorable regulatory environment for U.S. business. This cannot be stressed enough.”

- What about bringing the troops home as commander in chief? This would save a lot of money... Why doesn´t he mention that?

- The first point already contains the second, i.e. vetoing spending bills.

06-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Could be better written, sure, but the substance is fine.

Elwar
06-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Write some up and send them in when you see something happen.

Guitarzan
06-20-2011, 05:51 PM
Damn...really, I would assume that someone picked to write press releases has a good grasp of spelling and grammar.

Earlier today, I saw this same letter, and someone on the forum commented, incorrectly, that the "wave" (as it was spelled earlier) should have been been spelled "waive".

Now I see that it's been changed...to "waive", which is incorrect.

On the positive side, I guess maybe someone in the campaign is paying attention to the grassroots and our forums. lol?

Guitarzan
06-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Oops...my bad...they spelled "waive" incorrectly the first time...and it's still the same.

My point still stands...come on campaign...at least be professional enough to use proper grammar.

amonasro
06-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Oops...my bad...they spelled "waive" incorrectly the first time...and it's still the same.

My point still stands...come on campaign...at least be professional enough to use proper grammar.

I agree. "Waive" really? It's wave. I read it and did a mini facepalm.

PastaRocket848
06-20-2011, 06:06 PM
that was actually pretty good if you ask me. hit on all the arguments he can win on easily: deficit, abortion, obamacare, and, in a rather unclear manner, jobs.

that one wasn't for us. that was aimed at the old guard. he running to win this time, playing a little politics. i like it.

Maximus
06-20-2011, 06:07 PM

- What about bringing the troops home as commander in chief? This would save a lot of money... Why doesn´t he mention that?

We are running in the republican primary. This is the sort of stuff the primary base eats up.

dannno
06-20-2011, 06:09 PM

The target audience is Iowa.

truthdivides
06-20-2011, 06:09 PM
I thought this press release was excellent. Voters eat up 4 point plans like this.

The campaign did well with this. It needs to be spread far and wide. This is also something I don't remember seeing from the campaign in '08. People keep asking to see a better run campaign and this is one sign of it.

jon48958
06-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Completely ridiculous, and possible a fatal mistake, seeing as how he is the first to announce his budget plans. If it isn't fixed promptly he'll be mocked. I wonder if this isn't due to inexperienced staff.

mit26chell
06-20-2011, 06:14 PM
I was concerned about this press release as well. No mention of his biggest 'campaign promise' - beginning redeployment of US troops.

jon48958
06-20-2011, 06:26 PM
It will not matter if only a handful of Iowa voter see it though. Does the campaign have any plans to distribute this en-mass somehow?

musicmax
06-20-2011, 06:33 PM

Just to be clear, the correct word is wave.

WAVE - move back and forth through the air, as in "wave goodbye"
WAIVE - remove a requirement or entitlement, as in "the defendant waived his 5th amendment right to remain silent"

musicmax
06-20-2011, 06:38 PM
It will not matter if only a handful of Iowa voter see it though. Does the campaign have any plans to distribute this en-mass somehow?

Uh, that would be en masse. You wouldn't be Jesse Benton, would you?