PDA

View Full Version : TX - Cops raid home on false call, sic dog on man - "These things happen."

Anti Federalist
06-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Even if you immediately submit and comply, you may still get attacked, regardless.

False accusation led to raid on home, 22 stitches

By MEGAN RYAN
HOUSTON CHRONICLE
June 17, 2011, 10:02PM

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7616023.html#ixzz1PgbYRfYQ

Brandwynne "Brandie" Prespentt finished work at 3 p.m. June 10 and ran some errands. On the other side of town, a dog assigned to a Precinct 4 constable's deputy was attacking her husband, Travis.

The incident, which led to an arm injury requiring 22 stitches, was the climax of a bizarre sequence of events that began when the couple's neighbor, Tamara Denise White*side, phoned in a false report accusing Travis Prespentt of pistol-whipping and strangling his wife and dumping her in the back of his car.

Now Whiteside is in jail, Brandie Prespentt is alive and well, and the Prespentts are threatening to sue the constable's office for what they call an unprovoked attack.

"If my children hadn't been with my mother-in-law, what would have happened?" Brandie Prespentt asked. "And they never even apologized."

Panic and confusion

While Travis Prespentt was cleaning his porch he noticed patrol cars downstairs, but he didn't think they had anything to do with him.

When he went in for a beer, police had knocked down his door and ordered him to put his hands up. Prespentt said he did as they said, but deputies still sicced a dog on him.

As the dog chewed on Prespentt's arm, he said, the officers demanded to know where "the female" was.

Prespentt, assuming they meant his dog, first tried to tell them that she was in a cage on the porch. Then he realized they were looking for his wife, and shouted that she was at the grocery store.

At one point his sister phoned the apartment. When officers answered, Prespentt's sister immediately called his wife and told her to call her husband. Again, police answered the phone.

'I was just freaking out'

After Brandie Prespentt explained who she was, an officer told her about the call they had gotten from her neighbor.

When she asked to talk to her husband, she said he was crying and screaming, "This dog chewed my arm off!"

"The dog threw me on the ground, and I just laid there watching the dog chew my arm," Travis said. "I was just freaking out."

Assistant Chief Deputy Mark Herman said deputies had to go to the apartment because of the serious nature of the neighbor's call.

When the deputies arrived, they identified themselves and warned that they had a dog, Herman said.

"If we hadn't gone, it would have been negligent," he said. "These things happen."

By the time Brandie Prespentt made it home, she said, her husband was covered in blood. He was taken to a hospital, where he received stitches on his arm and treatment for minor scratches.

Travis Prespentt said one of the deputy constables continuously accused him of punching the dog while he was being attacked. He has denied striking the dog, protesting that he is an animal lover.

(And what the fuck if he did? Is that where we are now, that you must just submit to dog attack and let a vicious animal chew on you until such time as the "officers" decide to call it off? - AF)

Whiteside was charged with giving a false report and failure to show identification.

Travis Prespentt has not been able to go to work for the past week, which has hampered his ability to provide for his family and pay their hospital bills, he said.

"They just went on a rumor, and I think that's uncalled-for," he said. "I've never experienced anything like this in my life."

flightlesskiwi
06-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Who was it that mentioned Bizzaro World??

They just went on a rumor, and I think that's uncalled-for," he said. "I've never experienced anything like this in my life."

Guess ya can't tell your neighbors "dont call the cops." Especially if they have a vendetta against you.

GunnyFreedom
06-19-2011, 01:09 AM
:mad:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Anti Federalist again.

pcosmar
06-19-2011, 07:27 AM
That would have been one dead dog.
While I am infringed and own no guns, I do have two arms and hands. While dog chomps on one, the other will rip his throat out.

And I rough house with a Rott mix daily. I know dogs.

flightlesskiwi
06-19-2011, 07:50 AM
That would have been one dead dog.
While I am infringed and own no guns, I do have two arms and hands. While dog chomps on one, the other will rip his throat out.

And I rough house with a Rott mix daily. I know dogs.

while i admire your fortitude, i must ask: have you ever been bitten by a dog that has been specifically trained to bite?? even the little 60 lb belgian malnois, really, especially those, they are trained to bite deep and hold on, even while being thrown around, hit, shot at, etc.

it's unfortunate, but, paired with the element of surprise, a well trained dog wins every time. (not to mention police dogs are considered police, so if you were to rip his throat out, the cops would probably shoot to kill).

not trying to discourage you, just pointing out we do live in a police state and it sucks.

pcosmar
06-19-2011, 08:25 AM
while i admire your fortitude, i must ask: have you ever been bitten by a dog that has been specifically trained to bite?? even the little 60 lb belgian malnois, really, especially those, they are trained to bite deep and hold on, even while being thrown around, hit, shot at, etc.

it's unfortunate, but, paired with the element of surprise, a well trained dog wins every time. (not to mention police dogs are considered police, so if you were to rip his throat out, the cops would probably shoot to kill).

not trying to discourage you, just pointing out we do live in a police state and it sucks.
I have been physical with several Large and trained dogs. Police trained, Guard trained and Attack trained.
they think I am just a funny looking dog. I do bite ears and tails and I play rough.
Yes, I have been bitten. (Husky) Had a serious "talk" with that dog and it never happened again.

And yes I would likely have to deal with bullets behind it. Of course any cop within reach would also have to deal with me in a very pissed off and adrenalin charged mood. And if there are cops in my home attacking me with a dog,,, Things are pretty much FUBAR anyway.
I like dogs, Having to harm one would piss me off.

flightlesskiwi
06-19-2011, 08:45 AM
And if there are cops in my home attacking me with a dog,,, Things are pretty much FUBAR anyway.
I like dogs, Having to harm one would piss me off.

agree with both.

it's coming to a town near you.

reality is now stranger than fiction.:(:mad:

Anti Federalist
06-19-2011, 09:27 AM
And if there are cops in my home attacking me with a dog,,, Things are pretty much FUBAR anyway.

No shit, FUBAR and SNAFU.

Jake Ralston
06-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Ok. I have a few (perhaps even silly :confused:) questions.

"Whiteside was charged with giving a false report and failure to show identification."

Fine. That's to be expected. But what were the Police charged with?

"Travis Prespentt has not been able to go to work for the past week, which has hampered his ability to provide for his family and pay their hospital bills, he said."

Why in the HELL is he paying for the hospital bills? Furthermore, since he is on a forced medical leave of absense, who is taking responsibility for his lost wages?

Gentlemen, i'm sorry to ask such "obvious" questions, and I don't expect you to have an accurate answer, but the damn article apparently doesn't feel the need to include the answers to these very pertinent questions.

Anti Federalist
06-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Ok. I have a few (perhaps even silly :confused:) questions.

"Whiteside was charged with giving a false report and failure to show identification."

Fine. That's to be expected. But what were the Police charged with?

Nothing, nor will they be. It's difficult to get criminal charges brought against a cop when it's felonious behavior, murder, mayhem or rape.

In a case like this, where they were responding to felony call, albeit a false report, that's all the cover they need. They'll state that everything was done "by the book" and "according to policy".

I'd be stunned if any criminal charges were brought.

"These things happen".

"Travis Prespentt has not been able to go to work for the past week, which has hampered his ability to provide for his family and pay their hospital bills, he said."

Why in the HELL is he paying for the hospital bills? Furthermore, since he is on a forced medical leave of absense, who is taking responsibility for his lost wages?

Gentlemen, i'm sorry to ask such "obvious" questions, and I don't expect you to have an accurate answer, but the damn article apparently doesn't feel the need to include the answers to these very pertinent questions.

You, Mundane, are on the hook for any injuries or loss caused by rampaging cops.

Your only recourse is to sue, civilly, for damages, and hope that in a couple of years the city, Houston in this case, settles with you.

In which case, you're still on the hook, since it's your taxes that will pay the settlement award or the increased insurance fees.

Jake Ralston
06-19-2011, 10:14 AM
I'm not one to advocate violence, and i'm certainly not doing so here. But I have a strictly hypothetical question.

What if a group of masked men were to break into a cop's house at night, beat the living hell out of him, and then loudly proclaim "oops, wrong guy! sorry dude!" and then run away.

A Boondock Saint's sort of group, traveling from town to town seeking justice. Repeated beatings, followed by repeated "Sorry wrong guy" announcements. With the media soon to follow, would this help raise awareness?

Travlyr
06-19-2011, 10:17 AM
We must persist in winning without resorting to violence.

But sitting down, shutting up, and listening is not working.

Loud voices for liberty will be heard.

flightlesskiwi
06-19-2011, 12:38 PM
You, Mundane, are on the hook for any injuries or loss caused by rampaging cops.

Your only recourse is to sue, civilly, for damages, and hope that in a couple of years the city, Houston in this case, settles with you.

In which case, you're still on the hook, since it's your taxes that will pay the settlement award or the increased insurance fees.

the irony.

on another note: i do believe the man would also have the ability to sue the neighbor who falsely accused him.
in my mind, i can see this (false accusations resulting in doors being broken down and mundanes being harmed) happening more and more often. especially if the potential harm inflicted on the falsely accused outweighs the penalty for the false accusation.

but, in this specific situation, i'm sure police see it as a good practice run.

Anti Federalist
06-19-2011, 04:04 PM
A Boondock Saint's sort of group, traveling from town to town seeking justice. Repeated beatings, followed by repeated "Sorry wrong guy" announcements. With the media soon to follow, would this help raise awareness?

Sure it would.

Tonight at 10 - Rampaging, violent, domestic terrorists assault another hero Officer.

(Cut to video clip of some cop Pooh Bah) "Rest assured, Mundanes of Metropolis, your ever vigilant Officers will not stop, we will leave no stone unturned, we will leave nothing to chance, in our fight to take out these vicious domestic terrorists. On that subject, I am here to announce that house to house sweeps for these bandits will begin tonight at 1900 hours. The Metropolis DA has obtained a special "blanket" search warrant for every domicile within city limits. Your cooperation is expected. Any person caught harboring terrorists will be dealt with in the harshest manner available and prosecuted to fullest extent of the law. That is all."

acptulsa
06-19-2011, 04:12 PM
You know, I could have sworn a bunch of people figured out that things like this could happen, and ratified a little thing to prevent injustices like this. And what's more, it used to not only save a lot of people from getting hassled by crazy neighbors, but it kept the cops doing things that actually needed to be done as well.

What was the name of that thing again? Oh, yeah, The Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution.

Amazing how good principles work out good, isn't it? Maybe we should put some thought into keeping what works, instead of how to get around it...

I can't help but think the cops had to walk right by that car on the way to the door, and probably could have looked to see if there was a beaten woman in it...

Danke
06-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Looks like I'll be getting these for my new pajamas:

http://www.guzer.com/pictures/dog_attack_training.jpg

flightlesskiwi
06-19-2011, 04:30 PM
What was the name of that thing again? Oh, yeah, The Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution.

Amazing how good principles work out good, isn't it? Maybe we should put some thought into keeping what works, instead of how to get around it...

I can't help but think the cops had to walk right by that car on the way to the door, and probably could have looked to see if there was a beaten woman in it...

psssshhh..... constitution? 4th amendment? principles? novelties! (/s) the cops clearly perceived danger. detective work is for detectives.

deeper down the hole we go.

apologies for my pessimism.

moostraks
06-19-2011, 05:12 PM
in my mind, i can see this (false accusations resulting in doors being broken down and mundanes being harmed) happening more and more often. especially if the potential harm inflicted on the falsely accused outweighs the penalty for the false accusation.

but, in this specific situation, i'm sure police see it as a good practice run.

I had neighbor problems in two separate areas where neighbors used government agencies to retaliate (both times had to do with the fact we own old english sheepdogs that the neighbors disliked). It is almost impossible (depending on the agency that they lie to) to get direct information unless they are stupid enough like the person in the article to file a false report with police. This then leaves you with no means to penalize the system abusers. We now live in the industrial section of a town and have had no problems with the neighbors.

iGGz
06-19-2011, 06:33 PM
Might be a little awkward living next to each other now

I really dislike cops btw

http://www.cd4.hctx.net/staff.php

payme_rick
06-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Might be a little awkward living next to each other now

I really dislike cops btw

http://www.cd4.hctx.net/staff.php

http://www.cd4.hctx.net/mailform.php?rcpt=mherman

Deputy Mark Herman:
http://www.cd4.hctx.net/mailform.php?rcpt=mherman

payme_rick
06-19-2011, 08:18 PM
"Hey Mark, how about you and your fellow officers pitch in to help pay for your fuck up... you know, Travis Prespentt's hospital bills maybe?"

All I felt I needed to send...

Anti Federalist
06-19-2011, 08:19 PM
"Hey Mark, how about you and your fellow officers pitch in to help pay for your fuck up... you know, Travis Prespentt's hospital bills maybe?"

All I felt I needed to send...

If possible, please post any replies.

Thanks.

payme_rick
06-20-2011, 05:49 AM
If possible, please post any replies.

Thanks.

I doubt I'll be getting a reply... But I'm thinking about trying again, in a more inviting manner to establish a dialogue with this guy... Make him think about it a little more...