PDA

View Full Version : Picking a GOP message for 2012: Not easy (interesting re: SRLC speakers)

sailingaway
06-18-2011, 07:16 AM
And then there is Rep. Ron Paul. A few minutes before taking the stage, the empty spaces in the ballroom were filled up with young, sign-wielding followers. ... Knowing the Paul was due to speak next, the men in blazers and women with elaborate pins trickled out of the VIP section.

The hall, which had already been pretty lively, erupted into a roar. "End the Fed!" was the first loud chant, but it was hard to keep track as the message of personal freedom and liberty excited his crowd. (They applaud with a practiced enthusiasm that could pulverize a walnut). Paul was a roving abolitionist, singling out for elimination government regulations on milk, hemp, drugs, and abortion. He got a little wound up. Federal bureaucrats even "get involved in education," he said. "The TSA tells you what your kids can do. "

The VIP section grew very still while he talked about drug legalization and a highly limited U.S. foreign policy. When he cited Reagan to support his argument that U.S. foreign policy should be based on the simple rule that we wouldn't do anything to another country we wouldn't want done to us, it was almost too much for them.

After two days filled with talk of freedom, Paul seemed like the pure form of the argument. Quoting from Samuel Adams, he defined his cause and followers as the "irate tireless minority willing to start the brushfires of freedom in the minds of man." Then he noted with a wry smile that "others who are running for leadership are starting to use our language." As if to prove his point, when DeMint took the stage he couldn't help but comment on Paul's speech. "I used to think you were crazy, Ron," he said. "But I'm starting to think I'm a little crazy myself."

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20072175-503544.html#ixzz1PdJQAq6H

:D:D

I really disagree with their statement that Ron singled out for elimination government regulation on.....abortion. He said he'd overturn Roe v Wade, which I suppose could be tortured into a 'regulation' of abortion....but I don't think that is how people usually see it.