PDA

View Full Version : Demint Endorsement: Only if Ron signs the Cut/Cap/Balance Pledge!

eduardo89
06-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Jim Demint has started a website where Senators, Congressmen and candidates sign a pledge to cut, cap, and then balance the federal budget and pass a BBA. I think it's really important to get Ron to sign it. Not only will that exponentially increase the chances of a Demint endorsement (especially if Ron's the first presidential candidate to sign on), but it's great publicity with socons and fiscal conservatives.

Oh and Rand should sign on too! There are 4 Senators on the list:

Jim DeMint
Mike Lee
Jerry Moran
Marco Rubio

I'm surprised Rand isn't on!

Representatives that have signed on:
Jason Chaffetz
James Jordan

Here's the website: http://cutcapbalancepledge.com

THE PLEDGE

Cut - Substantial cuts in spending that will reduce the deficit next year and thereafter.
Cap - Enforceable spending caps that will put federal spending on a path to a balanced budget.
Balance - Congressional passage of a Balanced Budget Amendment to the U.S. Constitution -- but only if it includes both a spending limitation and a super-majority for raising taxes, in addition to balancing revenues and expenses.

sailingaway
06-17-2011, 07:17 PM
I think we'd better read exactly how it is written, specifically the Constitutional amendment. I mean, if he can oppose one he doesn't like. But I don't know that the president per se has a role beyond cheerleader for a Constitutional amendment.

the budget has to be voted on by congress, but I'm sure Ron will propose one stricter than De Mint would require. I guess I'd let Ron decide, but probably he'd sign that.

AuH20
06-17-2011, 07:19 PM
I like the supermajority clause on raising taxes. It's tough to even get a super majority on the color of the sky on a given day.

wormyguy
06-17-2011, 07:22 PM
"We believe the Republican Study Committee’s “Cut, Cap, Balance” plan for substantial spending cuts in FY 2012, a statutory spending cap, and the passage of a Balanced Budget Amendment to the Constitution is the minimum necessary precondition to raising the debt limit. The ultimate goal is to get us back to a point where increases in the debt limit are no longer necessary."

Beware wolves in sheep's clothing.

Agorism
06-17-2011, 07:23 PM
I'd prefer tax cuts to balanced budget though so I don't really agree with the stance although a balanced budget amendment might be something reasonable.

Austrian Econ Disciple
06-17-2011, 07:25 PM
I like the supermajority clause on raising taxes. It's tough to even get a super majority on the color of the sky on a given day.

I'd like to see a unanimous clause for spending. How's that one for ya! :p

eduardo89
06-17-2011, 07:26 PM
"We believe the Republican Study Committee’s “Cut, Cap, Balance” plan for substantial spending cuts in FY 2012, a statutory spending cap, and the passage of a Balanced Budget Amendment to the Constitution is the minimum necessary precondition to raising the debt limit. The ultimate goal is to get us back to a point where increases in the debt limit are no longer necessary."

I don't really see that as problematic. Demint says that at the very least he wants a BBA passed before he agrees to even consider voting to increase the debt ceiling. He could probably get many other concessions if he's able to get the BBA, such as SS/Medicare/Medicaid reform. If it takes another $2.5 trillion in raising the debt ceiling to get all those passed, I think it's a fair price. Over the long-run we'll be better off...Yes, we'll add $2.5 trillion more debt, but in 5 years we'll have a federal government that spends max 18% of GDP and we'll have fixed SS and Medicare in the long term, reducing our future liabilities.

sailingaway
06-17-2011, 07:48 PM

I didn't see that. I'm not sure Ron would agree to raise the debt limit.

eduardo89
06-17-2011, 07:52 PM
I didn't see that. I'm not sure Ron would agree to raise the debt limit.

He can sign the pledge, it doesn't mean he has to vote to increase the debt limit, which Ron won't vote to. It just means Ron pledges NOT to vote to increase the debt ceiling, unless, a BBA is passed and DEEP cuts are made (unlikely to happen). He never pledges to vote FOR an increase even if that does happen ;)