PDA

View Full Version : How would adoption work without the state?

Mahkato
06-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Could a mother who wants to give up her child just post it on Craigslist and give it away to whomever she wishes?

Could anyone adopt, regardless of their circumstances?

What other difficulties might arise with no state involvement in the adoption process. I'm sure it would be much cheaper and easier, but it does raise some tough questions.

low preference guy
06-17-2011, 02:18 PM
without a state there is omnipresent chaos and destruction and theft and murder. luxuries like adoption won't be even considered.

mport1
06-17-2011, 02:23 PM
I would think the majority of adoption would occur through agencies. Both mothers and these agencies would likely not want just anybody to be able to adopt their children.

This should also be posted in the philosophy subforum. The mods don't like talk of anarchy on the main areas of the site.

inibo
06-17-2011, 02:32 PM
without a state there is omnipresent chaos and destruction and theft and murder. luxuries like adoption won't be even considered.

"The Shakers (Shaking Quakers) provided much of the adoption in the 1700s and 1800s in the US because Shakers, while living together in beautiful and innovative communities, did not cohabit and did not have children. In order to stock the faith with believers, the Shakers adopted children and took them into their vast, cloistered, New England farms. Upon reaching the age of 18, the children were given the option of going, if they wished. Many left, sooner or later. Some stayed.

"Whether they eventually left or remained, the children were educated, fed and housed in a nurturing, spiritual environment. But eventually the US government began to mandate that orphans reside in orphanages and the Shakers ability to provide shelter to homeless children was much affected; it contributed eventually to the end of the religion and the emptying out of Shaker communities. Instead of growing up in these self-sufficient villages, orphans were remanded to US-operated orphanages with a gamut (as can be imagined) of grim consequences."

http://www.thedailybell.com/2507/Ann-Coulter-Bashes-Libertarians

Whether one is an anarchist or not things like adoption have been, can be and should be free of state control.

Wesker1982
06-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Could a mother who wants to give up her child just post it on Craigslist and give it away to whomever she wishes?

Could anyone adopt, regardless of their circumstances?

What other difficulties might arise with no state involvement in the adoption process. I'm sure it would be much cheaper and easier, but it does raise some tough questions.

The question is too vague, imo.

Stateless society A could have different laws and customs than stateless society B, etc.

I don't think he was serious. Interesting post, though.

This should also be posted in the philosophy subforum. The mods don't like talk of anarchy on the main areas of the site.

+1

Philhelm
06-17-2011, 02:40 PM

Haha! I'm out of rep or else I'd give some to you.

AGRP
06-17-2011, 02:41 PM
A simple contract should work?

sailingaway
06-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Catholic Charities has done it forever. Now they have government regulation, but they didn't always.

heavenlyboy34
06-17-2011, 03:29 PM
There's no need for the State's existence for adoption agencies to exist.

heavenlyboy34
06-17-2011, 03:30 PM
lolz

AlexMerced
06-17-2011, 03:32 PM
I explain how this would work in the second half of this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvq81WRxJZY

Live_Free_Or_Die
06-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Without the state kids would not have access to food, health care, loving parents, education, etc. Kids would be forced to work all day long in slave labor on the family farm. If the state did not exist people would not even reproduce because what sane person would subject kids to such doom and gloom? Without the state humanity would cease to exist and the few remaining survivors might as well be back in the stone ages...

My head is starting to hurt with all of this without the state talk... I can't take it. Can we get back to talking about something important like why theft is good and how we can improve our own lives by letting people steal from us?

inibo
06-17-2011, 04:19 PM
This is why we can't have any nice things.

Philhelm
06-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Without the state kids would not have access to food, health care, loving parents, education, etc. Kids would be forced to work all day long in slave labor on the family farm. If the state did not exist people would not even reproduce because what sane person would subject kids to such doom and gloom? Without the state humanity would cease to exist and the few remaining survivors might as well be back in the stone ages...

My head is starting to hurt with all of this without the state talk... I can't take it. Can we get back to talking about something important like why theft is good and how we can improve our own lives by letting people steal from us?

Another winner. +2012