PDA

View Full Version : Alex Merced for New Yorks 9th Congressional District

AlexMerced
06-17-2011, 04:46 AM
I want to get on the ballot and make a run for Anthony Wieners seat and see if we can seat another Liberty Candidate. I will be making an appeal to the local Libertarian party next month and if not I need to be collecting signatures to get on independantly.

The 9th is a fairly big District, and if your wondering how many signatures I need to collect... http://www.elections.state.ny.us/NYSBOE/download/law/2008NYElectionLaw.pdf under rule 6-138.

If anyone would like to help out in any of the following ways...

- Creating a Website (I just bought MercedForCongress.com)

- Creating Graphics and Logos

- Promo Videos

- Flyers

Join the Facebook Group for this effort:
Alex Merced for New Yorks 9th Congressional District
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_194156030636171
(the more members, the easier I can make my case to the LPNY to nominate me)

Follow me on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/alexmerced

Like my facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/thealexmerced

BamaAla
06-17-2011, 04:56 AM
I wish I could help in some way, but I'm far away and can't make websites or videos. I'll certainly send you money when you get some way to accept it but tat's about all I can do. Godspeed sir!

AlexMerced
06-17-2011, 04:59 AM
I wish I could help in some way, but I'm far away and can't make websites or videos. I'll certainly send you money when you get some way to accept it but tat's about all I can do. Godspeed sir!

Join the facebook group, and keep posted, thanks!

One Last Battle!
06-17-2011, 05:24 AM
Out of curiosity, couldn't you steal the Republican nomination? I mean, they don't appear to have anyone running yet. If you run as a Libertarian, you might have problems being noticed.

Thomas
06-17-2011, 05:56 AM
i beg you, don't run as a Libertarian

cindy25
06-17-2011, 06:02 AM
I want to get on the ballot and make a run for Anthony Wieners seat and see if we can seat another Liberty Candidate. I will be making an appeal to the local Libertarian party next month and if not I need to be collecting signatures to get on independantly.

The 9th is a fairly big District, and if your wondering how many signatures I need to collect... http://www.elections.state.ny.us/NYSBOE/download/law/2008NYElectionLaw.pdf under rule 6-138.

If anyone would like to help out in any of the following ways...

- Creating a Website (I just bought MercedForCongress.com)

- Creating Graphics and Logos

- Promo Videos

- Flyers

Join the Facebook Group for this effort:
Alex Merced for New Yorks 9th Congressional District
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_194156030636171
(the more members, the easier I can make my case to the LPNY to nominate me)

Follow me on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/alexmerced

Like my facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/thealexmerced

even as LP candidate you will still need 3,000 signatures; even the candidates of the 6 official parties (those whose candidate for governor recd 50,000 votes) need 1,200

johnrocks
06-17-2011, 06:06 AM
My opinion is this and I expect to catch hell for it but here goes.....

Save the time,energy and money needed to get on the ballot as a Libertarian and run as a Republican, I hate the system but the rules are stacked against third party candidates, the LP had to get 16000 signatures to get a shot to be on the ballot in Arkansas back in May; http://arkansasnews.com/2011/05/18/libertarian-party-seeks-access-to-2012-ballot/ ; I support you and your ideas; I swear I do; add "legitimacy" to yourself and run as a Republican my friend, like I said; I hate it ; but until the playing field is level, it's one of the two major parties or not getting any attention and ;at best; 2-3% of the vote.

I wish you the best, I'll join your FB if you'll have me after this post ; I think ;based on your writing skills that's I've saw; you can have a bright future in politics; I mean that sincerely; but just discussing reality as I see it. Peace and best regards.

AlexMerced
06-17-2011, 06:16 AM
I would be fine with running as a republican, I just am not sure I can make my in roads quick enough to get it since this is a very short window before the election.

I'll contact the party and see what they, worse comes to worse I'll go in independent if I can't seal the republican or libertarian nomination.

Join the Facebook group and we'll see how this evolves either way I I can't win this I'll begin focusing of getting into an office more aggressively here on out.

freedom-maniac
06-17-2011, 06:40 AM
Alex, I hate the GOP, and from our agreements on other posts, I can understand your tendency towards the LP,

but, I must say, go for the GOP slot if you can get it.

AlexMerced
06-17-2011, 06:44 AM
Alex, I hate the GOP, and from our agreements on other posts, I can understand your tendency towards the LP,

but, I must say, go for the GOP slot if you can get it.

I'll go with whoever is willing to take me.

johnrocks
06-17-2011, 06:44 AM
You are an excellent voice for liberty bro. If this doesn't work out; don't give up; I think Babe Ruth had 10,000 strikeouts to go along with his once seemingly unbreakable home run record.

Your young, again;if this doesn't work out; aim a bit lower like city council or whatever.

AlexMerced
06-17-2011, 06:59 AM
Just emailed the Kings County GOP about the Nomination, so we'll see what they say

AlexMerced
06-17-2011, 06:59 AM
You are an excellent voice for liberty bro. If this doesn't work out; don't give up; I think Babe Ruth had 10,000 strikeouts to go along with his once seemingly unbreakable home run record.

Your young, again;if this doesn't work out; aim a bit lower like city council or whatever.

Yeah, I realize this is a longshot, it's a pretty blue district, but this race should get some media attention which will be a good introduction to the country for other races.

Working Poor
06-17-2011, 07:41 AM
I wish you the best Alex go get them tiger.

K466
06-17-2011, 07:59 AM
It would be exciting to have an RPF member in Congress.

Brett85
06-17-2011, 08:01 AM
The only chance you would have would be to run as a Republican. Why would you waste your time running as a Libertarian when they've never elected anybody for anything?

06-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Wish you the best of luck. Just a few considerations....

1. Have you considered running for local office? I know there are pockets in NYC where Republicans hold office on the council and in other local spots. It would be a great stepping stone to something bigger, if that is what you want to do.

2. You need to think in different terms of the "I will run with whoever will take me," as with that idea you may do yourself great harm. Run as a Republican in the Republican primary; whether or not you win the primary, you can attract great attention to yourself on a potentially national scale and though it would be difficult to win that district even as GOP nominee, you would be able to build up a fundraising base and name recognition in the area. Think about how John Dennis, even getting peanuts for votes against Pelosi, was about to build a national fundraising list and name recognition while raising a lot of money and spreading the ideas.

John Dennis is a great example of how to run a great campaign in a district you almost certainly cannot win, and make something positive of it. He sure has.

3. There is a very good chance that Weiner's district may be eliminated due to NY's loss of two congressional seats and his seat being the second-most GOP leaning in NYC proper. Will you still run in another district, or just for that one?

4. Have you any involvement with the local GOP?

Best of luck!

Southron
06-17-2011, 08:04 AM
Run Democrat. :)

The only bad thing about this race is the level of scrutiny you would receive.

pcosmar
06-17-2011, 08:04 AM
The only chance you would have would be to run as a Republican. Why would you waste your time running as a Libertarian when they've never elected anybody for anything?

Well that is simply untrue.
http://www.lp.org/candidates/elected-officials

Nationwide, there are 161 Libertarians holding elected office: 38 of them partisan offices, and 123 of them nonpartisan offices.

But best of luck in whichever party you chose.

Tom in NYC
06-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Before doing anything we have to see what the rules will be for this special - the Republicans in the area have already sent out emails asking for donations to try to nab the seat.

From http://www.politickerny.com/2011/06/16/republicans-already-raising-for-special-election/

Your voice was heard! It joined that of countless Republicans, Independents, and thoughtful Democrats throughout the 9th District, the state, and the country. Thank you, let’s keep up the volume!We know what comes next and we need to be ready. There will be a special election called, announcement of a liberal Big Government, pro-tax hike, pro-spending Democrat candidate, and a campaign filled with distortions, negative ads, and the standard “MediScare” slander.

Let’s be prepared. Anthony Weiner felt entitled to his seat, and this twisted tale is in no small part the fruits of that arrogance. His erstwhile masters & defenders eventually showed him the door since they share that very same feeling of entitlement: why, it’s a Democrat seat, after all, so let’s just get a less toxic, just as liberal, reliable Obama-Pelosi replacement for this scandal-ridden weakened self-destructor.

Your generous support -$25, $50, $100, or any amount- will send the message loud and clear: It’s not ex Rep Weiner’s seat, it’s not Nancy Pelosi’s seat- it’s the People’s seat and it is about time that the constituents of the 9th District get the high quality representative they deserve.

Other than Eric Ulrich, I haven't heard any names attached to the seat from non-Democrats.

From http://www.wnyc.org/articles/its-free-country/2011/jun/16/special-election-digital-photo-scandal-ny-dems-have-practice/

Two different scenarios could happen:

* If Weiner's resignation is effective before July 7, and Cuomo does not call a special election, candidates can collect petition signatures until July 14 to get on the primary ballot for the already-scheduled city election on September 13.
* If the governor calls a special election, there will be no primary, and the six major political parties select their candidate according to their own party rules. Both the Republican and Democratic parties allow for local county executives to vote, so in the 9th District, that decision would come down to the King and Queens county leaders.

cindy25
06-17-2011, 08:12 AM
in a special election there is no primary, candidates are picked by party leaders; and one has to be a registered Republican to run in the primary in any case.

Brett85
06-17-2011, 08:22 AM
Well that is simply untrue.
http://www.lp.org/candidates/elected-officials

But best of luck in whichever party you chose.

City council, judge, I get it. There's no members of the Libertarian Party in Congress.

AlexMerced
06-17-2011, 08:24 AM
Well, I might as well start building my support for this, and maybe this will catch the parties attention to nominate me if I can generate enough support. Also, I'm going to start organizing just get the ball going.

So I think I understand ballot access now, the next question is financing, how do I set up the ability for people to donate, does that have to be done throught eh FEC or do I do it through the local elections board?

AlexMerced
06-17-2011, 08:30 AM
in a special election there is no primary, candidates are picked by party leaders; and one has to be a registered Republican to run in the primary in any case.

I am registered republican

Brett85
06-17-2011, 08:34 AM
I am registered republican

Then why would you consider running as a Libertarian?

Bruno
06-17-2011, 08:36 AM

Additionally, Alex, consider the position Ron Paul has regarding running third party.

AlexMerced
06-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Additionally, Alex, consider the position Ron Paul has regarding running third party.

just to be clear, running third party isn't my first choice. I will try to run republican, either way I plan on being on that ballot.

pcosmar
06-17-2011, 08:56 AM

Because the "Republican" party has a piss poor image.
because the area is predominantly "Democrat" and people are FED UP with both parties. (or both factions of the SAME party)

There are several possible reasons. And some very good ones.
It is long past time to end the "two party" Monopoly.

But, any choice is as good as another.

AlexMerced
06-17-2011, 08:58 AM
let's ge the word out, there isn't many names floating around yet, so if we generate enough buzz before Cuomo announces a special election we can get some early media coverage.

Peace&Freedom
06-17-2011, 10:03 AM
A special election is non-partisan, so the party label of the candidates don't have to be emphasized. However, the politics and ethnicity of the district is still what it is (Democratic, Jewish) so it's still going to be tough. As I mentioned in another thread, we in the Queens area are making an attempt to get behind a unified LP/TP/CFL liberty candidate for the vacated seat, and will hold a nominating meeting the morning of July 9 to endorse one. So far the declared contenders are Alex and two local LP activists.

Expenses associated with a petition drive alone will come to $7,000-$10,000. Perhaps Alex should set up a page with a chipin for the petitioning effort. I will say that the person who attends with the soundest liberty platform, most cash available and supporters to vote for them will be in the best position to get nominated. Others in the NYC area who want to come to the July LPQC meeting to see Alex's and other contenders' pitch, here is the meetup:

http://www.meetup.com/libertarian-326/events/18605731/

AlexMerced
06-17-2011, 10:03 AM
Any advice on campaign finance?

freshjiva
06-17-2011, 10:18 AM

+1. This may be the best strategy considering the district you're running in.
Focus on being anti-war, anti-drug wars, anti-corporatism/bailouts, anti-Fed, and pro-tax cuts for the Middle Class.

Brian4Liberty
06-17-2011, 10:31 AM

Focus on being anti-war, anti-drug wars, anti-corporatism/bailouts, anti-Fed, and pro-tax cuts for the Middle Class.

+2. Register as a Democrat. Attend Democrat meetings.

AlexMerced
06-17-2011, 10:33 AM
A special election is non-partisan, so the party label of the candidates don't have to be emphasized. However, the politics and ethnicity of the district is still what it is (Democratic, Jewish) so it's still going to be tough. As I mentioned in another thread, we in the Queens area are making an attempt to get behind a unified LP/TP/CFL liberty candidate for the vacated seat, and will hold a nominating meeting the morning of July 9 to endorse one. So far the declared contenders are Alex and two local LP activists.

Expenses associated with a petition drive alone will come to $7,000-$10,000. Perhaps Alex should set up a page with a chipin for the petitioning effort. I will say that the person who attends with the soundest liberty platform, most cash available and supporters to vote for them will be in the best position to get nominated. Others in the NYC area who want to come to the July LPQC meeting to see Alex's and other contenders' pitch, here is the meetup:

http://www.meetup.com/libertarian-326/events/18605731/

I would definetley setup a chip in, but is that possible without violating cmapaign finance rules before filing any paperwork, any guidance on the legality of me setting up a chip in for petitioning would be appreciated.

AlexMerced
06-17-2011, 10:35 AM

I don't think the party will matter as much as ethinicity, my girlfriend lives in the district and it's extremely orthodox so I have to really be careful about how I frame Middle East issues.

Bern
06-17-2011, 10:55 AM
I'll go with whoever is willing to take me.

Sounds like you are a natural for the job.

j/k

Good luck. :)

libertybrewcity
06-17-2011, 11:04 AM
you should run as a democrat..anything else is a waste of time

JamesButabi
06-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Maybe you should reach out to LibertyPac for help in all of these areas. Isn't that the purpose?

Regarding a website, advertisement, promos, and whatever count me in to help.

Umbro2914
06-17-2011, 11:20 AM
have you considered the pros and cons of running for this seat, especially during this special election cycle? besides the fact that there is no incumbent, there is practically no other pros. The cons, however, are quite numerous, 1.) short time frame of action 2.) high publicity (ie probably lots of interest, contenders, etc. Cant really take seat by surprise 3.) frankly you have no organization structure, no name recognition, and i am not aware of any background regarding community involvement in the district so cannot comment on that.

Although I do not wish to discourage you from running, as you seem to be going full speed, it is best to take all this into consideration, instead of just appealing to your emotions. By winning more local races is how you get that name recognition, support structure, etc that would make a race like this possible and winnable. Right now, running a federal campaign just to "get out there" seems pointless. But good luck with whatever course of action you take.

AlexMerced
06-17-2011, 11:30 AM
Well, I'm going to give it a shot

I agree, I wish had more time prepare, but sometimes you just have to strike while the iron is hot.

ghengis86
06-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Any advice on campaign finance?

Yes. Contact someone that has run a campaign before. Check with local party members (Dem or Repub) and find out who has managed a campaign

Brett85
06-17-2011, 11:46 AM
You should try to find a way to contact Ron Paul and get him to endorse you early. That's the only way you could get any name recognition.

wormyguy
06-17-2011, 11:46 AM
NY has electoral fusion. Any reason you couldn't go for both the Republican and Libertarian ballot lines?

AlexMerced
06-17-2011, 12:02 PM
NY has electoral fusion. Any reason you couldn't go for both the Republican and Libertarian ballot lines?

We'll see, lots of things got to happen first, right now I'm just making heads or tails of the legal hoops I have to jump through, Weiner just resigned yesterday so the special election process hasn' been set in stone yet.

cindy25
06-17-2011, 12:41 PM
if there is a Republican primary then you could file for that , and also for the Libertarian line. signature gathering periods would be different. the endorsed Republican will likely also be the endorsed Conservative; but the Independent party might endorse you.

gerryb
06-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Are you a member of the NYC meetup?

http://www.meetup.com/campaignforlibertynyc/

Peace&Freedom
06-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Been busy today, but what I know from previous elections is that the petitioning has sometimes been handled by a group other than the candidate, in which case the candidate does not have to include it as a campaign expense. Does Alex have a friend who will set up a chipin through their Paypal? That might work. He should look up FEC rules on their site, and request their kit be mailed out. Then set up a campaign bank account (preferably a new one, or use an extra one he may have). Alex should also talk to the LP contacts I gave him in Brooklyn.

Cowlesy
06-17-2011, 02:14 PM
We are losing two seats to re-districting in NY and I think NY-09 will be history. Don't spend too much money on this until you're certain the seat is going to exist for 2012.

jonhowe
06-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Hi Alex,

I'm JUST outside of the district but have extensive experience running campaigns in the area. I'd be happy to help!

newyearsrevolution08
06-17-2011, 02:37 PM
SWEET MAN! I remember all your efforts back in the previous election cycles and you were wanting to run. I am glad you are sticking to your guns!!!

Keep up the fight

Rocco
06-17-2011, 03:16 PM
+rep to you mr merced! Keep fighting for our liberty, i admire your tenacity!

samforpaul
06-17-2011, 05:56 PM
To increase your chances of being elected I'd encourage you to ditch that photograph.

AlexMerced
06-17-2011, 06:01 PM
I'll patriotizing my online pressence over the weekend, as well as recording some "Alex Merced on the issues" which will be more policy oriented instead of philosophical like my usual rhetoric.

Basically i'm rand pauling my ron paulness

Sentient Void
06-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Good stuff. I do think it would be better to run as a democratic candidate inthat district - but it may be hard considering they will note how you've been a republican for at least the last couple election cycles.

On top of that, they may dig up that you are an 'anarchist' (oh noes!) and deem you a liability. Just some things to think about - tough hurdles on the road for yah bro. It may be a good place to start to run for more local offIce and build up a political resume with that.

BarryDonegan
06-17-2011, 10:46 PM
I served a full two terms as a duly elected county-wide officer in the GOP in the deep south, and I come from a little bit different of a social environment than the typical republican.

http://www.rlc.org/2011/05/16/a-punk-rock-libertarian-in-ronald-reagans-court/

I wrote that article to help people figure out how to effectively communicate with Republicans, so you might enjoy the read to get ready. Bear in mind my experience is in the deep south, so there are some other political undercurrents you probably don't have in NYC (e.g. the south has a natural reflexive hatred of Lincoln that a lot of people don't understand that I'm sure doesn't exist in NY hahaha), but I digress, you might find it useful.

White Bear Lake
06-17-2011, 11:18 PM
Good luck dude. I hope to start getting involved in elections in a few years once I'm out of college and old enough to start running for things. I'm already starting to make contacts in the MN GOP, helped with a '10 campaign, and have been volunteering as an aide for my state senator during the legislature session this spring. You need to start somewhere. A good run can only build your name recognition. Best wishes. I'll definitely consider chipping in if you get things rolling. Try getting the local tea party behind you.

AlexMerced
06-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Thanks, for all the good words if can't get this off the ground a more local spot will be my next goal but do far I'm Lear unhappy a about the process.

AlexMerced
06-18-2011, 12:47 PM
http://www.nyccfb.info/candidates/candidates/handbooks/2009_Handbook.pdf?sm=candidates_ha

That's the NEw York Cmapaign Finance Info, I'm reading right now, but the end of sunday I think I'll be well on my way to having all the info to make a final decision.