PDA

View Full Version : $9 for Subway Sandwich. No inflation

alaskaman
06-16-2011, 05:46 PM
I just had a footlong steak and cheese subway no drink, no chips, just a sandwich.

I remember when it was 6 bucks, then 7-8 bucks, now I paid 9 dollars and some small change. Since there is no inflation and I believe my government whey they say there is no inflation, I have to assume that Subway has become a greedy inhumane company and I won't be their customer anymore.

My list of greedy food companies and products is growing. Pretty soon I won't be able to shop anywhere because they are all just greedy since there is no inflation.

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-16-2011, 05:49 PM
my local shop sells 12" subs for 6 bucks and have twice the meat of subway subs.

MelissaWV
06-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Or you could make your own steak at home for that much, and have far better quality than Subway's.

t0rnado
06-16-2011, 05:50 PM
My fireworks cost a shitload more this year too.

low preference guy
06-16-2011, 05:52 PM
Or you could make your own steak at home for that much, and have far better quality than Subway's.

true, but they are probably more expensive than last year, which I think is the point of the OP

HOLLYWOOD
06-16-2011, 05:55 PM
The $5 Foot Long is now for the Bread only... everything else is a surcharge.

In Subway's latest announcement... Delta and United-Continental Airlines bought the sandwich maker.

Every Sandwich is a Surcharge! "I'll take the pastrami and cheddar with mayo and mustard surcharges please!"

J/K ;)

Oh easier jingle: "Nine.... $9 Foot Long... everyday"

Vessol
06-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Funny, I had a 12-inch Spicy Italian footlong at subway today for 5$ plus tax.

awake
06-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Shadow stats is saying 11 % - calculated the old way before the Amerikan central planners started cherry picking.

Vessol
06-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Shadow stats is saying 11 % - calculated the old way before the Amerikan central planners started cherry picking.

But food and energy are not calculated in the Fed's core inflation model! So if you don't eat or use energy there is no inflation!

ItsTime
06-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Some cheap pasta sauce we buy occasionally went from $1 to $1.19 this month. Ive seen some other things going up as well. But then again some items have gone down.

Kregisen
06-16-2011, 06:03 PM
I just had a footlong steak and cheese subway no drink, no chips, just a sandwich.

I remember when it was 6 bucks, then 7-8 bucks, now I paid 9 dollars and some small change. Since there is no inflation and I believe my government whey they say there is no inflation, I have to assume that Subway has become a greedy inhumane company and I won't be their customer anymore.

My list of greedy food companies and products is growing. Pretty soon I won't be able to shop anywhere because they are all just greedy since there is no inflation.

Maybe they charge that much because people like you pay that much? And maybe everything in Alaska is a lot more expensive since shipping is a lot more expensive?

juleswin
06-16-2011, 06:06 PM
I made myself a sub sandwich today and by my rough calculation, it only cost me about $3. But then again, the subway by my apt still sell their footlongs for $5. This is a really bad example to make your inflation case

MelissaWV
06-16-2011, 06:06 PM
true, but they are probably more expensive than last year, which I think is the point of the OP

I get his point, I guess. The things I buy (which are usually local and largely unprocessed) have not changed much. The things that have shot up the most are things which require processing, transportation, and combining multiple ingredients (convenience foods) which multiply the slight rise in cost all the way through the process.

Go to your butcher and ask for $9 worth of skirt steak, though :p or flank steak.

alaskaman
06-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Beef, Chicken, Pork Prices Soar

In February, the average retail price per pound for beef was $3.87, up 12.4% versus a year ago, according to market research firm FreshLook Data. The average retail price for a pound of chicken was up 3.9% in February versus a year ago, turkey was up 5.4%, veal up 6.7% and pork up 10%.

Among all meat production, beef producers typically incur some of the highest production costs. For example, costs for cattle farming are much higher than for poultry farming. Cattle farmers pay more for each animal, land for grazing, fertilizers, feed and processing systems versus poultry farmers.

Also the time it takes to prepare cattle for sale is much longer compared to other meats. It's just 46 days for chicken but can take a few years for beef. Now, on top of the already high costs of doing business, inflation is further driving up expenses. U.S. beef producers blame these higher production costs -- up 14% in the past year -- for the jump in consumer prices.

Read more.....

http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/31/markets/beef_price_increasing/index.htm

specsaregood
06-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Melissawv to a food thread is like dannno to a sex thread, you just know they will make an appearance.

Anybody paying $9 for a subway sandwich has way too much money to burn.

hard@work
06-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Switch to whole foods now. Get to know your local farms and where they have their own outlets.

2young2vote
06-16-2011, 06:56 PM
It depends on the sub. They have some foot longs for $5.00 while others are more expensive. I never go to Subway anyways. It isn't good. I prefer grinders even though they are more expensive. Especially the ones from Spicy Bob's. Wow, the chicken ranch grinders are some of the best food i have ever had. The problem is that they cost about $14 for a 14 inch grinder.

VanBummel
06-16-2011, 06:56 PM
My fireworks cost a shitload more this year too.

That's not inflation, that's the new Patriotism Tax. You wouldn't complain if you loved America. ;)

brandon
06-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Being from Philly, I've always informally tracked inflation by the price of a cheesesteak. Back about 10 years ago I could routinely get a footlong for about $4.50. Now the cheapest they come is about $6.50 and the average is probably around $7.50 That's about 75% inflation in a decade.

Koz
06-16-2011, 07:12 PM
Ssshhhh, Helicopter Ben says there is no inflation.

The real kicker that no one ever talks about is that in a free market prices natually come down because of competition and efficiency. So, we are being screwed both ways.

Enjoy your $9 Subway. In a month it will be $10.

RCA
06-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Each Subway franchise charges different amounts from one other. They can very a few dollars for the same product even within the same city. I was once charged $11 for a foot-long Turkey sub with double meat. I called the corporate headquarters and they said there's like a $3 range each franchise has to stay within. I never went back to that Subway.

oyarde
06-17-2011, 09:59 AM
I would not give three bucks for one of those. For 9 bucks , I can pick up a couple of steaks and throw on the grill ( did that 6/05 ). Last Sat , I stopped by my local grocery and bought eight pc.'s of pork rib and thirteen chicken legs for $7.82 total or about 26 cents per pc . Grilled the ribs , threw them in the freezer ( had some cold ones in the process ) , probably grill the chicken this coming weekend .

oyarde
06-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Being from Philly, I've always informally tracked inflation by the price of a cheesesteak. Back about 10 years ago I could routinely get a footlong for about $4.50. Now the cheapest they come is about $6.50 and the average is probably around $7.50 That's about 75% inflation in a decade.

Sounds about right .

oyarde
06-17-2011, 11:03 AM
For eight bucks , I can get a box of 25 .410 shells in # 6 shot and put 25 rabbits in the freezer.

Anti Federalist
06-17-2011, 01:26 PM
That's not inflation, that's the new Patriotism Tax. You wouldn't complain if you loved America. ;)

Let me be the first to welcome you with a +rep.

That made me LoL.