PDA

View Full Version : How to peacefully destroy the middleast.

werdd
10-30-2007, 08:28 AM
I happened to hear to Newt Gingrich last night and i think he has a pretty level head on this idea. He was basicly saying, that over the next 10 years we are going to have a projected 850% increase in Bio-fuels efficiency. Once we take away the oil they have nothing else, except for sand. And im pretty comfortable with the thought that the middleast could hold a monopoly on glass production.

I do think the goverment should fund science, its one of the most underfunded industries right now. The more we fund science the closer we get to eliminating foreign dependency on oil. The day we achieve fusion power is the day that most everyone could agree that foreign inteventionism is completely unnecessary.

I know i sound like a big goverment guy saying this, but unlike everything else, i have a "for the common good" feel for science.

When RP becomes president and we eventually phase out the IRS, and stop our save the world to feel good actions, and cut the rest of the pork, i would think that he could still see science as essential for our national defense.

I know that he is ideologically opposed to something of this sort, but once you get the science = defense equation in the mix, i think its every bit as important as our military.

fluoridatedbrainsoup
10-30-2007, 08:34 AM
"I do think the government should fund science, its one of the most underfunded industries right now. The more we fund science the closer we get to eliminating foreign dependency on oil."

When science is funded by the government it is OFTEN for a self-serving purpose. They've been dumping money into global warming studies for years in order to justify further restrictions and a carbon tax. NASA is where high masons go to design golden toilet seats, at this point (we've had alternative means of space craft for over half a century, but to release it into the market would constitute a threat to overthrow the U.S. monetary system.

Interests are far too vested for anything new or special to come out of government funding. Ease restrictions and allow the free market to move science, that's my say.

Oh and I heard science was just another word for 'control' and it makes an awful lot of sense the way the powers that be have been subordinating God with it.

werdd
10-30-2007, 08:38 AM
"I do think the government should fund science, its one of the most underfunded industries right now. The more we fund science the closer we get to eliminating foreign dependency on oil."

When science is funded by the government it is OFTEN for a self-serving purpose. They've been dumping money into global warming studies for years in order to justify further restrictions and a carbon tax. NASA is where high masons go to design golden toilet seats, at this point (we've had alternative means of space craft for over half a century, but to release it into the market would constitute a threat to overthrow the U.S. monetary system.

Interests are far too vested for anything new or special to come out of government funding. Ease restrictions and allow the free market to move science, that's my say.

Oh and I heard science was just another word for 'control' and it makes an awful lot of sense the way the powers that be have been subordinating God with it.

So the goverment paying private contractors would be propping up the free-market right?

I see what your saying, but i have doubts as to whether anyone will really take up the slack with science were the goverment out of the picture.

steph3n
10-30-2007, 08:51 AM
Let me put this bluntly, the problem with science IS THE GOVERNMENT!

We have nearly no scientist these days, US companies that want educated scientist have to go to Israel, India, Pakistan, China and Japan! There they actually educate people, instead of teach them how to pass a test.

It all starts from the young age, we have destroyed a generation of minds through dumbing down our education. There are some bright ones that still excel, but we are FAR BELOW other countries now in terms of scientist output from our education system.

noxagol
10-30-2007, 09:03 AM
science should not be funded by the government at all. If I am getting paid by the government to research Thing, and they pay me a lot of money, why ever complete it? That would cut off my money. I will do just enough to make it look like I'm makign progress, but never finish because then I stop getting money.

However, if I am a company and want to research Thing, I will get it done faster, better, and cheaper because I am footing the bill, not someone else.

werdd
10-30-2007, 09:10 AM
science should not be funded by the government at all. If I am getting paid by the government to research Thing, and they pay me a lot of money, why ever complete it? That would cut off my money. I will do just enough to make it look like I'm makign progress, but never finish because then I stop getting money.

However, if I am a company and want to research Thing, I will get it done faster, better, and cheaper because I am footing the bill, not someone else.

Yeah, but what if we just took bids like in WWII?

What im saying is if we don't want it or show any interest for science, you cant be dissappointed when there is none.

And if we are arguing competition, i completely agree with you there should be competition via bids, and not guaranteed salaries.

but i do think the goverment has to show interest in science for it to be a commodity, otherwise they might as well compete in Robot Arena.

Mesogen
10-30-2007, 10:03 AM
How can you peacefully DESTROY anything?

Mesogen
10-30-2007, 10:11 AM

That's not the way it works. You submit a proposal in competition with other people for a grant. The grant is for a certain amount of research. It pays for salaries and supplies and if the principle investigator pays himself from the grant, that has to be budgeted. The funding agency then requires some sort of progress. If they are not satisfied with the progress, then you don't get the next phase of funding. In a lot of cases there is no next phase anyway. Once the money is gone, it's gone.

But if you don't produce anything, then you won't gain any reputation for good research and it'll be much harder to get funding for the next proposal. And in a lot of cases, especially with military funding agencies, if you didn't meet their mark, their expextations (say, they wanted 200% improvement of X and you only improved it 100%) they won't keep funding you.

People that fund research, even the government, won't just keep funding a research group if they aren't producing results.

klamath
10-30-2007, 10:20 AM
The profit incentive is huge. All it would take is for someone to invent a battery that has the energy density of liquid petroleum and the entire amount of money in the liquid petroleum industry would be his.

kylejack
10-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Dubai's not going to be left behind. They're making full use of that oil money and building one hell of a tourism draw. I'm sure they'll get on board with alternative fuels too. They know the oil will run out soon.

RickSp
10-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Why would we want to destroy the Middle East? Why not merely stop being the imperial bully and start acting like good trading partners?

Yes, there are lots of energy alternatives which need to be developed. Our best bet is to stop subsidizing big oil and set the market free to develop them. $90 dollar a barrel oil is a great incentive.

Malakai0
10-30-2007, 12:36 PM
The entire mid east 'terrorism' situation is so blown out of proportion it's not even funny.

If we weren't in the middle east the price of oil on the market would be so so much lower. I know peak oil is coming, but had we delt with it civilly with the rest of the world, we could have figured something out besides bombing any country with oil to kingdom come then coming in to clean up the mess and let haliburton have all the oil.

Even growing scarce it still would have been a million times cheaper to just buy it and not waste billions upon billions of barrels to wage these wars in the first place. America used to be a wealthy country, we could have afforded it till we found something better.

constituent
10-30-2007, 12:45 PM
. NASA is where high masons go to design golden toilet seats, at this point (we've had alternative means of space craft for over half a century, but to release it into the market would constitute a threat to overthrow the U.S. monetary system.

funny, i've heard that straight from the horse's mouth once.

werdd
10-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Because the last thing they want us to do is go home, and not buy their oil. Without oil profits, they have no money to develop a nuclear weapon. It is the one all for everyones interest.

If you think about it, Iran and surrounding countries are playing it really smart right now. They want us to beleive that if we leave they will take over, because this war is so profitable for them. So we will stay, and continue to purchase their oil. Win/win situation for them.

I agree peaceful trade is the way to go for now with these countries, but i think there are many out there that beleive we should be working tirelessly to acheive Energy/fossil fuel sovereignty via science and offshore drilling.

F3d
10-30-2007, 12:53 PM

evadmurd
10-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Let me put this bluntly, the problem with science IS THE GOVERNMENT!

Amen!

werdd
10-30-2007, 12:57 PM
He's talking out of his arse if he was actually saying that. lol BUT, there is industrial hemp. Right now the government subsidizes ethanol from corn and hemp is illegal. Hemp is somewhat more efficient and it grows like a weed. There's also hydrogen boosted gasoline which should come soon. Not to mention, the lithium batteries could be used as they're more efficient and lighter than other batteries. Again, there's also hemp plastic. It's 30% lighter and just as strong as other plastics used on cars. Air powered cars could also be a good alternative in cities.

Yeah i agree hemp could be such a great asset, too bad most of the old beaurocrats still think hemp can get you high.

And yeah gingrich is just a talking head, hes trying to make his party look more progressive... as if his neo-con constitutuents werent doing a completely awesome job of that already.

But still its an idea i can warm up to.

drednot
10-30-2007, 03:43 PM
... He was basicly saying, that over the next 10 years we are going to have a projected 850% increase in Bio-fuels efficiency. ....

He must be talking about lighting his own flatulence, because taxpayers have been funding "alternative energy" since the Carter Administration and where has it gotten us?

Oh, but if we just fund it a little more we'll get an 850% increase in efficiency in ten years. Riiight......

fluoridatedbrainsoup
10-30-2007, 05:08 PM
How the U.S. Government Suppressed
the World’s First Civilian Spacecraft Industry
http://exopoliticsjournal.com/vol-2/vol-2-1-Salla.htm

The most dramatic part of Ring’s testimony concerns what happened two weeks after the successful test of the OTC-X1. He said that Carr's operation was closed down by the FBI and other government agencies in a secret raid involving seven or eight truckloads of armed government personnel. The FBI told Carr that his project was being closed “because of your threat to overthrow the monetary system of the United States of America.”