PDA

View Full Version : Alright this is kind of sad ... real Ron Paul SPAM

mkrfctr
10-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Ha, nothing like the internet...

In my inbox this morning (by name's not Scott by the way...)

Hello Scott,
Ron Paul is for the people, unless you want your children to have human implant RFID chips, a National ID card and create a North American Union and see an economic collapse far worse than the great depression. Vote for Ron Paul he speaks the truth and the media and government is afraid of him. This is the last honest politican left to bring this country out of this rut from the War Profiteers and bush Administration has created. Get motivated America, don't believe the lies of the media he has also WON the GOP Debate On Sunday! Value Freedom and Liberty instead of corporate lies and corruption. Bypass this media blackout they are doing to Ron Paul, tell your family and friends and get involved in a local group at meetup.com make your voice heard! He will end the War In Iraq immediately, He will eliminate the IRS and wasteful government spending, and eliminate the Federal Reserve and restore power to the people and the only person not a member on the CFR. Can any other runner make these claims or give Americans the true freedom we were all raised to believe? We are all economic slaves to the banks and the illegal federal Reserve. This is why our currency is worth nothing because of Hidden Inflation Tax and the IRS taking everything you make!
** RON PAUL WILL STOP THE IRAQ WAR IMMEDIATELY! **
He has NEVER voted: * to raise taxes * for an unbalanced budget * to raise congressional pay * for a federal restriction on gun ownership * to increase the power of the executive branch
He HAS voted: * against the Iraq war * against the inappropriately named USA PATRIOT act * against regulating the internet * against the Military Commissions Act
He will eliminate the IRS, Wasteful Government Spending & Stop The Iraq War Immediately!
Most importantly, he voted NO on anything in Congress that is not allowed by the Constitution. And he Despises any politican that does not do their job for the people and lives up to the constitution!
Google.com & Youtube.com Search: "Ron Paul" Join The Revolution!
*************************************** We Need A Real President That Will Restore And Protect Americans! Stop The War! Protect Our Borders! *********VOTE RON PAUL 2008************
sEGWgAk

DaronWestbrooke
10-30-2007, 08:35 AM
Cool.
This should hit a lot of people.

JoshLowry
10-30-2007, 08:39 AM
Spam = Not cool.

EvilEngineer
10-30-2007, 08:46 AM
Could be someone trying to smear the campaign by deliberately making crazy messages about RP and spamming them out.

Mort
10-30-2007, 08:48 AM
Let's be realistic. Most spam operators come out of Russia and China. Probably somebody there thinks they are "helping" by promoting Ron Paul. They're not.

ronpaulyourmom
10-30-2007, 08:50 AM
This was posted yesterday too, so its widespread apparently.

I just wish the guy had left his conspiracy stuff out. Spam is bad no matter what, but if he was really going to spam he could have been polite and respectful, and most importantly short and to the point.

Drknows
10-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Spam = Not cool.
Who ever is doing this better stop.

scroll down to Mon October 29, 2007

http://www.fark.com/politics/

"Ron Paul Spammers targeted by anti-spam team"

kylejack
10-30-2007, 08:51 AM
Mkrfctr, can you post full headers?

JPFromTally
10-30-2007, 08:51 AM
I actually got the same thing this morning. I was about to come here and post it when I saw your thread. I'm worried about this.

If it's an RP supporter it definetely has to stop. But I'm betting it's a spammer trying to smear him.

mavtek
10-30-2007, 08:58 AM
Believe it or not, most people often respond to spam as if it were something they should be listening to. Crazy as that may sound, stock spamming is actually a lucrative business because people go out and buy the stock, the price goes up and it's sold the next day.

Crazy, but true! With the advent of spam filtration most people don't realize that some spam is still spam even though it got through the filter. The conspiracy stuff is a little over the top, but if they read the name in the email then go about their daily lives it may not be such a bad thing.

kylejack
10-30-2007, 09:01 AM
Believe it or not, most people often respond to spam as if it were something they should be listening to. Crazy as that may sound, stock spamming is actually a lucrative business because people go out and buy the stock, the price goes up and it's sold the next day.

Crazy, but true! With the advent of spam filtration most people don't realize that some spam is still spam even though it got through the filter. The conspiracy stuff is a little over the top, but if they read the name in the email then go about their daily lives it may not be such a bad thing.

Spam might be good to sell widgets, because you can sell a bunch of widgets and bad reputation for spamming isn't really too big a deal, but its terrible for a political candidate. The negative media and the turned-off recipients hurts us.

mkrfctr
10-30-2007, 09:03 AM
Mkrfctr, can you post full headers?

From - Tue Oct 30 09:08:17 2007
X-Account-Key: account2
X-UIDL: 20071030085045a2100ek3qee00hcam
X-Mozilla-Status: 0001
X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
X-Mozilla-Keys:
Received: from imta25.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net ([76.96.30.63])
by alnrmxc21.comcast.net (alnrmxc21) with ESMTP
id <20071030085045a2100gq7jne>; Tue, 30 Oct 2007 08:50:45 +0000
X-Originating-IP: [76.96.30.63]
Received: from mail7.zoneedit.com ([63.251.171.168])
by IMTA25.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net with comcast
id 6YqS1Y03J3eM7aP0001700; Tue, 30 Oct 2007 08:50:47 +0000
X-Authority-Analysis: v=1.0 c=0 p=jdRPmzmUoK0wBBsWesQA:9 a=WKqiEAhMi8cA:15 a=KKD1GI5DnDHzBKCtaKde1w==:17
X-CAA-SPAM: 120
Received: from CPE-121-210-193-165.qld.bigpond.net.au (CPE-121-210-193-165.qld.bigpond.net.au [121.210.193.165])
by mail7.zoneedit.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 6883D57C468
for <myemailaddress-removed>; Sat, 27 Oct 2007 19:43:39 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from [121.210.193.165] by ns2.nokia.com; Sun, 28 Oct 2007 02:51:35 +0000
Message-ID: <000901c8190d$0208f4cc$53533b95@kgcvfb>
To: <myemailaddress-removed>
Subject: Government Wasteful Spending Eliminated By Ron Paul qZhzNg
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 01:04:13 +0000
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
format=flowed;
charset="iso-8859-1";
reply-type=original
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.3790.2663
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.2757

kylejack
10-30-2007, 09:04 AM
Came from a Comcast IP in New Jersey. Probably a zombie. Untraceable, I guess.

CustName: Comcast Cable Communications, Inc.
Address: 1800 Bishops Gate Blvd
City: Mt Laurel
StateProv: NJ
PostalCode: 08054
RegDate: 2007-04-17
Updated: 2007-04-17

NetRange: 76.96.0.0 - 76.96.127.255
CIDR: 76.96.0.0/17
NetName: COMCAST-1
NetHandle: NET-76-96-0-0-2
Parent: NET-76-96-0-0-1
NetType: Reassigned
Comment:
RegDate: 2007-04-17
Updated: 2007-04-17

RAbuseHandle: NAPO-ARIN
RAbuseName: Network Abuse and Policy Observance
RAbusePhone: +1-856-317-7272
RAbuseEmail: abuse@comcast.net

RTechHandle: IC161-ARIN
RTechName: Comcast Cable Communications Inc
RTechPhone: +1-856-317-7200
RTechEmail: CNIPEO-Ip-registration@cable.comcast.com

OrgAbuseHandle: NAPO-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: Network Abuse and Policy Observance
OrgAbusePhone: +1-856-317-7272
OrgAbuseEmail: abuse@comcast.net

OrgTechHandle: IC161-ARIN
OrgTechName: Comcast Cable Communications Inc
OrgTechPhone: +1-856-317-7200
OrgTechEmail: CNIPEO-Ip-registration@cable.comcast.com

mkrfctr
10-30-2007, 09:06 AM
Probably a zombie. Untraceable, I guess.

Usually are, felt like humoring you anyway, heh

Edit: Remove the head or destroy the brain. I repeat, remove the head or destroy the brain.

Who would have thought that the zombies we'd be fighting are security lax personal computers. How utterly disappointing...

brandon
10-30-2007, 09:11 AM
Could be someone trying to smear the campaign by deliberately making crazy messages about RP and spamming them out.

I agree x1000.

This type of shit is happening more and more. TBTB are very clever in the ways they try to attack us.

KewlRonduderules
11-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Hey, I found something. Let me know if this is relevant:

From:"History.com Classroom" <thc.classroom@newsletters.aetv.com>
To:youremailaddress@comcast.net
Subject:This Week's Educational Programming Update
Date:Monday, October 22, 2007 6:07:12 AM Received: from imta25.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net ([76.96.30.63])
by sccrmxc19.comcast.net (sccrmxc19) with ESMTP
id <20071022100712s19009fl7fe>; Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:07:12 +0000
X-Originating-IP: [76.96.30.63]
Received: from mta.newsletters.aetv.com ([198.31.62.43])
by IMTA25.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net with comcast
id 3N741Y0080vylTa0000500; Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:07:12 +0000
X-Authority-Analysis: v=1.0 c=1 a=wCqdmGCfAAAA:8 a=YqqRCNFCPChavvD9iS0A:9 a=c6KU8OoshUxwzxuDTrwA:7 a=qPSMlr93zQH4buiHrhkVwEjvDeIA:4 a=yuSGQi2lLVkA:10 a=XF7b4UCPwd8A:10 a=pQhkiSsupsyI5-kA4lQA:7 a=WqZC7zECCyTQizH_CJHULkGmHN8A:4 a=ECgGOEqig2oA:10 a=lEdcghPq0zIA:10 a=60Gs9D14l4EA:10 a=Sz-0p1zU2dQA:10
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 06:07:11 -0400 (EDT)
Message-Id: <Kilauea95533-5117-237737587-3-1015@flonetwork.com>
From: "History.com Classroom" <thc.classroom@newsletters.aetv.com>
Reply-To: "History.com Classroom " <thc.classroom-ctg0ieb7oaabouwq4k4wondry5soanka@newsletters.aetv. com>
To: youremailaddress@comcast.net
Subject: This Week's Educational Programming Update
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000"

------00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

The History Channel is pleased to bring you this week's educational
programming update:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The History Channel Announces "Take A Veteran to School Day," A New
National Initiative

Upcoming History Channel Classroom Programming:
Teddy Roosevelt: An American Lion (4 Parts), Monday through Thursday,
October 22nd-25th at 6am/5c

Dear Home: Letters from World War I, Friday, October 26th at 6am/5c

Explore Prologue Magazine, a Publication of the National Archives!

:confused:

TheEvilDetector
11-01-2007, 07:13 PM
CPE-121-210-193-165.qld.bigpond.net.au

Isn't the originator of this email a Queensland Customer of Bigpond ISP (Telstra) in Australia?

SeanEdwards
11-01-2007, 07:18 PM

Yep.

dircha
11-01-2007, 07:19 PM
This helps Ron Paul. If it weren't illegal I'd contribute to support it.

No one to who it would matter would mistake this for junk email from the official campaign.

Hurricane Bruiser
11-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Well this spam may not give us the best PR but I doubt it really is a big negative. I wouldn't waste too much time tracking it down.

ladyliberty
11-01-2007, 07:38 PM
I wonder if this sort of stuff ought to be reported to SNOPES? After all, Billary uses SNOPES and so does Barak Obama. A disclaimer to say these spams are not being generated by the official campaign perhaps - in case anyone wants to go to snopes ot check it out? Then the parts that are TRUE can be verified, but the parts that aren't true (spamming part ) can be discounted. We could do the same for some of the smear pieces that have been spread about Dr. Paul, and the fact that none of the text message polls are being spammed.

http://www.snopes.com/cgi-bin/comments/submit.asp

Eli
11-01-2007, 07:40 PM
if this spam was from a real ron paul supporter they wouldn't be ranting on about conspiracy theories and trying to convert through fear. There is seriously something odd about this. email spam pisses off the people on the internet. Does someone think if they can spam in ron pauls name they might kill his internet support?

On the bright side though it is a welcome change from my usual penis enlargement emails.

ladyliberty
11-01-2007, 07:47 PM
if this spam was from a real ron paul supporter they wouldn't be ranting on about conspiracy theories and trying to convert through fear. There is seriously something odd about this. email spam pisses off the people on the internet. Does someone think if they can spam in ron pauls name they might kill his internet support?

On the bright side though it is a welcome change from my usual penis enlargement emails.

Yeah all I get are offers to share a Nigerian bank account if I just send someone my name, ss # and savings account #! :D

spiteface
11-01-2007, 07:55 PM
I don't understand why this is even a story??? Today in my spam filter I have in the subject lines of various emails: Sony, Canon, Southwest Airlines, Apple, American Airlines, Delta Airlines, Hewlett Packard, Panasonic and Whole Foods. Am I to assume, as people would like us to with this Ron Paul spam stuff, that all these companies are spamming me or that they or their products are bad because I received a spam email. Give me a break.

fightfortruth
11-01-2007, 08:03 PM
WIRED magazine has just written an article about this:

'Criminal' Botnet Stumps for Ron Paul, Researchers Allege
By Sarah Lai Stirland

If Texas congressman Ron Paul is elected president in 2008, he may be the first leader of the free world put into power with the help of a global network of hacked PCs spewing spam, according to computer-security researchers who've analyzed a recent flurry of e-mail supporting the long-shot Republican candidate.

"This is clearly a criminal act in support of a campaign, which has been committed with or without their knowledge," says Gary Warner, the University of Alabama at Birmingham's director of research in computer forensics. "The question is, will we see more and more of this, or will this bring shame to the campaigns and will they make clear that this is not a form of acceptable behavior by their supporters?" Warner pointed to provisions of the federal Can-Spam Act.

Ron Paul spokesman Jesse Benton says the campaign has no knowledge of the scam. Warner himself says that he has no reason to believe that the Paul campaign had anything to do with these messages.

Some participants in the online political world have long suspected Paul's technically sophisticated fan base of manipulating online tools and polls to boost the appearance of a wide base of support. But the UAB analysis is the first to document any internet shenanigans.

The finding is significant, because Paul's online support -- as gauged by blog mentions, friends on social-networking sites such as MySpace and popularity in online polls -- has garnered him wide mainstream print and television coverage, despite his relatively poor performance in offline polling.

The spamming allegations are based on a slew of e-mails captured by contributors to the university's Spam Data Mining for Law Enforcement Applications project, a research venture that receives 2.5 million spam messages a day, and selects about 100,000 a week for analysis. The project receives its spam from other researchers with ties to ISPs, and in some cases from "trap" addresses that have never been used for any other purpose.

They were received by the lab following the latest televised Republican debate Sunday afternoon, and had 16 different subject lines, including "Ron Paul Wins GOP Debate! HMzjoqO" and "Ron Paul Exposes Federal Reserve! SBHBcSO." The random string of characters at the end is a common spammer's technique to circumvent bulk e-mail filtering.

The spam went to "several hundred" e-mail addresses harvested for the university project, says Warner.

The e-mails had phony names attached to real-looking e-mail addresses. When lab researchers examined the IP addresses of the computers from which the messages had been sent, it turned out that they were sprinkled around the globe in countries as far away from each other as South Korea, Japan, the United Kingdom, Nigeria and Brazil.

"The interesting thing was that we had the same subject line from the same IP address, and it claimed to be from different users from within the United States," Warner says.

One e-mail was designed to look as if it came from within a major Silicon Valley corporation, he notes. But when the researchers looked up the IP address, the computer from which the note was sent was actually in South Korea. Another e-mail that was designed to look as if it came from Houston was sent from Italy.

That pattern led Warner to conclude that the messages had been laundered through a botnet -- also a standard spammer practice, though a decidedly illegal one.

The body of a message examined by Wired News covered familiar Paul campaign themes, such as ending the war and eliminating the Internal Revenue Service and the Federal Reserve. It also read:

Ron Paul is for the people, unless you want your children to have human implant RFID chips, a National ID card and create a North American Union and see an economic collapse far worse than the great depression. Vote for Ron Paul he speaks the truth and the media and government is afraid of him.

Last week, the prominent conservative blog Redstate banned new Paul supporters from posting on its site because of their "shilling" for the candidate in conversations that had nothing to do with politics. Other sites have disabled their online polls, because they suspected that they were being gamed by Ron Paul supporters.

Notwithstanding such charges, Paul's third-quarter haul of $5 million in campaign contributions seems to show that he does have a larger base of support than offline polls indicate.

Dan Hubbard of security company Websense reviewed one of the messages captured by the university. He believes that there was some type of spam-laundering in use -- though not necessarily a botnet.

"I have not seen a malicious-code sample yet that is sending these mails, therefore I would say it's likely that either they are using a botnet, or they are using open relays," he says, referring to unsecured e-mail servers that will accept anonymous e-mail and forward it back out to the internet.

Paul spokesman Jesse Benton said in an e-mail, "This is the first I've heard about this situation."

"If it is true, it could be done by a well-intentioned yet misguided supporter or someone with bad intentions trying to embarrass the campaign," he wrote while ferrying his boss to tape an appearance on The Tonight Show. "Either way, this is independent work, and we have no connection."

This article has been modified to clarify that Warner has seen no evidence suggesting that the Paul campaign is responsible for the spam.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think someone that is not part of the campaign or a supporter is trying to damage Ron Paul somehow.

fightfortruth
11-01-2007, 08:05 PM
This article says that spamming is illegal. Since when. I get spammed all the time. Why are'nt these major companies getting in trouble?

Highmesa
11-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Look. This has nothing to do with Ron Paul. The article is a POS hit piece.

Spammers pick up on popular search terms and use those in the subject line. i.e. Paris, Britney, penis, mortgage, etc. Ron Paul is a popular search term.

Leslie Webb
11-01-2007, 08:32 PM
A native English speaker did not write the spam message. The message has too many grammatical and wording:

"and the media and government is afraid of him"
"This is the last honest politican left to bring this country out of this rut from the War Profiteers and bush Administration has created."
"He will eliminate the IRS and wasteful government spending, and eliminate the Federal Reserve and restore power to the people and the only person not a member on the CFR."
"Can any other runner make these claims or give Americans the true freedom we were all raised to believe?"
"This is why our currency is worth nothing because of Hidden Inflation Tax..."

The last error makes me suspect the writer is Chinese, Korean, or Japanese since these languages don't have any equivalents to our articles ("a" and "the") in English.

mrd
11-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Probably one of those stocks-spammers riding gold stocks