PDA

View Full Version : Liberty candidate for special election in NY to replace Rep. Weiner?

realtonygoodwin
06-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Does anyone know if there are any potential candidates to take Anthony Weiner's seat that lean in a liberty-oriented direction?

tangent4ronpaul
06-16-2011, 12:46 PM
New York's 9th District, which Weiner has represented since 1998, comprises heavily white, ethnic neighborhoods in Queens and Brooklyn. It has elected the congressman with comfortable margins but has been trending Republican: In 2000 the Democratic presidential nominee, Al Gore, got 67 percent of the vote, but the margin dropped to 56 percent for the party's 2004 nominee, Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass. In 2008, Barack Obama won the district with 55 percent of the vote.

The most buzzed-about Republican contender is New York City Councilman Eric Ulrich, an up-and-comer who reportedly has the blessing of former Mayor Rudy Giuliani. Other Republicans mentioned as possible candidates: Bob Turner, the party's 2010 nominee, and New York State Judge Noach Dear, who ran against Weiner as a Democrat in 1998 and later switched parties to oppose him (again unsuccessfully) in the general election.

Democrats have been less forward about their ambitions, awaiting an announcement by Weiner. Names that have been floated include City Councilman Mark Weprin, and two ex-City Council members, Melinda Katz and Eric Gioia. A potential kingmaker could be Rep. Joseph Crowley, D-N.Y. Elected to the House the same year as Weiner from the neighboring 7th District, Crowley heads the Queens Democratic Party.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/who-might-replace-weiner--20110616

any of those look good?

tangent4ronpaul
06-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Committees

Committee on Energy and Commerce
Subcommittee on Health
Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations

AlexMerced
06-16-2011, 12:53 PM
if I had the resources and someone willing help me through the beginning stages, I would so run, I would love to have that seat.

Nate-ForLiberty
06-16-2011, 01:00 PM
if I had the resources and someone willing help me through the beginning stages, I would so run, I would love to have that seat.

Dude, do it. Get on that quick. Call whatever government office you need to to find out what you gotta do to get in the race. If you show you're serious about it, the support will come. Don't wait for it though.

tangent4ronpaul
06-16-2011, 01:03 PM

I smell a moneybomb....

Special election is supposed to be July 16th(?)

-t

ronpaulhawaii
06-16-2011, 01:27 PM
One of the guys here worked on a Bob Turner campaign, says he is alright... The scuttlebutt is that the seat will be redistricted out of existence and who ever gets it will be a caretaker...

One Last Battle!
06-16-2011, 01:58 PM

Do it! Do it!

realtonygoodwin
06-16-2011, 02:16 PM

I think you should go for it. Nothing to lose. Yeah, it would be just for a little bit until it gets redistricted, but it would be worth a shot, may jumpstart something big!

eduardo89
06-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Go for it Alex!!

eduardo89
06-16-2011, 02:23 PM
These are some details on the district: Textbook gerrymandering, look at that map!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/23/New_York_District_09_109th_US_Congress.png

71.0% White
4.4% Black
14.6% Asian
13.6% Hispanic
0.2% Native American
2.2% other

The district includes large Jewish, Italian, and Irish populations.

Cook PVI: Democrat+5

K466
06-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Alex Merced for Congress!

realtonygoodwin
06-16-2011, 02:57 PM

+Rep. This is what we need, liberty candidates in every race.

silentshout
06-16-2011, 05:27 PM

Go for it!

Teaser Rate
06-16-2011, 06:33 PM
I don’t want to sound negative, but there’s pretty much no way a libertarian candidate is ever going to win that district. The only thing that can be gained by campaigning there is experience.

I'd rather the movement focus its resources on races which have a possible chance of success.

cindy25
06-16-2011, 07:26 PM
spec election has to be 80-90 days after the gov calls it (if he calls it); you would need 3,000 signatures gathered in about 30 days to run 3rd party; no primary-the bosses pick the Rep , Dem and minor party candidates. (who need 1200 signatures or 5% of their party members , which ever less)

wgadget
06-16-2011, 07:27 PM
It will be Mrs. Weiner's election to lose.

Watch and see.

cindy25
06-16-2011, 07:37 PM
It will be Mrs. Weiner's election to lose.

Watch and see.

I was thinking that also, but would a Jewish district elect a Muslim? would even non-Jews in 911City vote for a Muslim?

AlexMerced
06-16-2011, 08:21 PM
If anyone can help guide me through the process, sure I guess I'll do it, but I'll definetley need some grassroots help cause I got to keep my day job, lol

Nate-ForLiberty
06-16-2011, 08:25 PM
If anyone can help guide me through the process, sure I guess I'll do it, but I'll definetley need some grassroots help cause I got to keep my day job, lol

Alex, with respect, that's not the kind of attitude that will garner support. If you're going to do it. Then do it. If you are unsure and don't think it is something you can handle, then don't do it.

I think if you tried, you'd be surprised at how much you can get done, while keeping your day job.

There will be risk, so is it worth it to you?

AlexMerced
If anyone can point me in the right direction as to where I file the paperwork, I'll start this weekend

AlexMerced
Alex, with respect, that's not the kind of attitude that will garner support. If you're going to do it. Then do it. If you are unsure and don't think it is something you can handle, then don't do it.

I think if you tried, you'd be surprised at how much you can get done, while keeping your day job.

lol, good point, I'll do it

randolphfuller
06-16-2011, 08:27 PM
no time to waste!!Get Started on campaign now!

AlexMerced
06-16-2011, 08:27 PM
I have to be a citizen of NYS for 7 years I've been here since 2008, does anyone know if they are usually pretty strict about that?

http://www.elections.state.ny.us/RunningOffice.html

Nate-ForLiberty
06-16-2011, 08:29 PM
If anyone can point me in the right direction as to where I file the paperwork, I'll start this weekend

I have no idea where to file the paperwork, but if you start asking people who are involved with Federal politics I bet you'll find out. Have you asked Glen Bradley what he had to do? Although he's a state rep, he may be able to point you in the right direction.

Think of yourself as a boat captain. You are in Spain and your job is to get to New York. You have no map, just a ship, the sun, moon, and stars. Get in your boat and go "that way"! :D You'll figure it out!

What about calling up Rand Paul's office and talking with one of his staffers?

Nate-ForLiberty
06-16-2011, 08:31 PM
I have to be a citizen of NYS for 7 years I've been here since 2008, does anyone know if they are usually pretty strict about that?

http://www.elections.state.ny.us/RunningOffice.html

For a mundane like you, of course!!! :D For a future president from Kenya...eeeeehhhh not so much.... lol

*well I guess that answers that question.
United States Constitution Article 1 Section 2.

AlexMerced
06-16-2011, 08:52 PM
OH, it's seven years a citizen of the united states, I was born here so then I'm good, I thought it meant a resident of NYC

Vessol
06-16-2011, 08:56 PM
Go for it Alex, you're smart and well-spoken. We have to throw a moneybomb for you like we did for Glenn if you decide to run.

Tom in NYC
06-16-2011, 08:58 PM
Hey Alex - there are plenty of folks here in NYC like myself who will help you out. I'm in Maloney's district, but we should get in touch and make this happen.

One Last Battle!
06-16-2011, 09:00 PM
I believe in you, Alex!

AlexMerced
06-16-2011, 09:02 PM
I might to do some petitioning on saturday, can't quite get a lock down on how much petitions I need to collect, it seems I need to get 500 for each assembly district in NY09 which I can't figure out.

Just so happens my girlfriend is a member of NY09 so theirs my first signature

Aratus
06-16-2011, 09:17 PM
good luck alex! when hillary clinton was in the senate,
she and bill had only recently bought a house in NY...i
was under the impression the regs were rather loose!!!

cindy25
06-16-2011, 09:29 PM
I might to do some petitioning on saturday, can't quite get a lock down on how much petitions I need to collect, it seems I need to get 500 for each assembly district in NY09 which I can't figure out.

Just so happens my girlfriend is a member of NY09 so theirs my first signature

you can't gather signatures until the time period is defined. there are official forms you need to use; make sure its blue or black ink, no felt tips. signatures need to be exact as on the voters list (you buy these from the county election board) .

they can also help with assembly districts. you have 40 days. get the signatures early as soon as the election is declared, as someone can only sign once and the first one is the one that counts.

think of a good party name (I would pick dog lover, with a puppy as your symbol)

Peace&Freedom
06-16-2011, 10:37 PM
I am county Chair of the LP of Queens County (LPQC), and have already PMed Alex with the following message about this. Local Queens supporters of Ron Paul are invited to come down to the county LP meeting in July (7/9), where we will be meeting with Tea Party and Queens CFL people to endorse a coalition liberty candidate to run in the special election for the seat vacated by Rep. Weiner. It's a 75% Democratic and Jewish district, so it's going to be a tough but quick campaign. If anybody has the funding and the workers to do a summer campaign for Congress, you are invited to make your case, and you may just end up getting the endorsement! PM me for details if interested.

ForLibertyFight
06-16-2011, 11:12 PM
Good luck Alex.

Esoteric
06-16-2011, 11:42 PM
Merced for Congress!!!!!!!!

t0rnado
06-16-2011, 11:43 PM
You'll have to become a Jew, visit Israel, attend an AIPAC conference, and apologize to the ADL for not being born a Jew before you have any chance of winning that seat.

Esoteric
06-16-2011, 11:49 PM
Alex, you'd have to delete all the youtube videos you have where you claim you're essentially an anarchist. They will use whatever they can to paint you as an extremist.

Aratus
don't alarm him about how uphill climb it is! he won't know until he tries.
john dennis took on nancy pelosi and lost, however 'frisco
may be worse than brooklyn + queens!

Vessol
You'll have to become a Jew, visit Israel, attend an AIPAC conference, and apologize to the ADL for not being born a Jew before you have any chance of winning that seat.

That's what moneybombs are for :cool:.

cindy25
06-16-2011, 11:58 PM
the Dems may nominate a Muslim (Huma); anything could happen if the vote is divided enough; there are no run offs. But it is a hard district to win. Harder than San Francisco (SF is at least anti-war)

Eric21ND
06-17-2011, 03:47 AM
There was a very well spoken, young, black lady from NY that was involved with CFL? She's been on the media before and the Glenn Beck program. I think her name was Angela?? Do any of you know whom I'm speaking of? I think we should entice her to run.

AlexMerced
06-17-2011, 04:06 AM
Well, I'll show up to the LP meeting and make my case, I know it's an uphill battle, I've thought of how people may respond to my videos and I'm well prepared on how to respond to that. Trust me, I spend plenty of time thinking about all the controversy that could possibly surround a run.

BamaAla
06-17-2011, 04:54 AM
I'm a long way from NYC, but I'll send money!

Peace&Freedom
06-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Expenses associated with a petition drive alone will come to $7,000-$10,000. Perhaps Alex should set up a page with a chipin for the petitioning effort. I will say that the person who attends with the soundest liberty platform, most cash available and supporters to vote for them will be in the best position to get nominated. Others in the NYC area who want to come to the July LPQC meeting to see Alex's and other contenders' pitch, here is the meetup:

http://www.meetup.com/libertarian-326/events/18605731/