PDA

View Full Version : O-Bomb-ya: Missiles and drones do not constitute "hostilities".

Anti Federalist
06-16-2011, 11:51 AM
That's what I'm getting from this.

White House Defends Continuing U.S. Role in Libya Operation

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/16/us/politics/16powers.html

By CHARLIE SAVAGE and MARK LANDLER
Published: June 15, 2011

WASHINGTON — The White House, pushing hard against criticism in Congress over the deepening air war in Libya, asserted Wednesday that President Obama had the authority to continue the military campaign without Congressional approval because American involvement fell short of full-blown hostilities.

In a 38-page report sent to lawmakers describing and defending the NATO-led operation, the White House said the mission was prying loose Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi’s grip on power.

In contending that the limited American role did not oblige the administration to ask for authorization under the War Powers Resolution, the report asserted that “U.S. operations do not involve sustained fighting or active exchanges of fire with hostile forces, nor do they involve U.S. ground troops.” Still, the White House acknowledged, the operation has cost the Pentagon $716 million in its first two months and will have cost $1.1 billion by September at the current scale of operations.

The report came one day after the House Speaker, John A. Boehner, Republican of Ohio, had sent a letter to Mr. Obama warning him that he appeared to be out of time under the Vietnam-era law that says presidents must terminate a mission 60 or 90 days after notifying Congress that troops have been deployed into hostilities, unless lawmakers authorize the operation to continue.

Mr. Boehner had demanded that Mr. Obama explain his legal justification for passing the deadline. On Wednesday, Brendan Buck, a spokesman for Mr. Boehner, said he was still reviewing the documents, adding that “the creative arguments made by the White House raise a number of questions that must be further explored.”

The escalating confrontation with Congress reflects the radically altered political landscape in Washington: a Democratic president asserting sweeping executive powers to deploy American forces overseas, while Republicans call for stricter oversight and voice fears about executive-branch power getting the United States bogged down in a foreign war.

(LoL - and just watch how it all changes back around under the next GOP puppet, sickening, actually. - AF)

ItsTime
06-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Asking me to log in to view the article

mconder
06-16-2011, 11:52 AM
It depends on what the meaning of the work is, is.

Anti Federalist
06-16-2011, 11:53 AM

Huh...I'm looking right at it...stand by, RightHaven's been shut down...

Brian4Liberty
06-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Complete bullshit from the Obombya "legal" team. Bombing is an act of war.

Dr.3D
06-16-2011, 11:54 AM
I guess that would depend on who was using those missiles and drones.
If it was Canada or Mexico using them on the United States, would Obama feel the same way? LOL

ItsTime

PLEASE LOG IN

Log in to manage your products and services from The New York Times and the International Herald Tribune.

Don't have an account yet?
Create an account »

E-Mail or Member ID
Password
Forgot Password?

flightlesskiwi
http://www.mercurynews.com/politics-government/ci_18282975?nclick_check=1

another way to find it.

Brian4Liberty
06-16-2011, 11:55 AM

You must have already been logged in. If you cleared your cookies it would probably ask you to log in.

Austrian Econ Disciple
06-16-2011, 11:55 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/16/us/politics/16powers.html?_r=4

So then Al-Qaeda never levied hostilities against us. Obviously they never had boots on the ground.

123tim
06-16-2011, 11:57 AM

Same here.
Is this the same article (without the sign-up) A.F.? :

Anti Federalist
06-16-2011, 11:58 AM
You must have already been logged in. If you cleared your cookies it would probably ask you to log in.

AFAIK I never registered with the NYT...maybe Mrs. AF did...

Anti Federalist
06-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Same here.
Is this the same article (without the sign-up) A.F.? :

Yes, that's it...fixing OP, thanks

JK/SEA
06-16-2011, 11:59 AM
//

flightlesskiwi
06-16-2011, 11:59 AM
it's kenetic military action!! a military exercise. think kung fu or p90x.

Dr.3D
06-16-2011, 12:12 PM
“The administration’s theory implies that the president can wage war with drones and all manner of offshore missiles without having to bother with the War Powers Resolution’s time limits,” Mr. Goldsmith said.
Does that mean the President can order a nuclear strike without authorization from Congress?

steph3n
06-16-2011, 12:13 PM

By CHARLIE SAVAGE and MARK LANDLER
Published: June 15, 2011

WASHINGTON — The White House, pushing hard against criticism in Congress over the deepening air war in Libya, asserted Wednesday that President Obama had the authority to continue the military campaign without Congressional approval because American involvement fell short of full-blown hostilities.

In a 38-page report sent to lawmakers describing and defending the NATO-led operation, the White House said the mission was prying loose Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi’s grip on power.

In contending that the limited American role did not oblige the administration to ask for authorization under the War Powers Resolution, the report asserted that “U.S. operations do not involve sustained fighting or active exchanges of fire with hostile forces, nor do they involve U.S. ground troops.” Still, the White House acknowledged, the operation has cost the Pentagon $716 million in its first two months and will have cost $1.1 billion by September at the current scale of operations.

The report came one day after the House Speaker, John A. Boehner, Republican of Ohio, had sent a letter to Mr. Obama warning him that he appeared to be out of time under the Vietnam-era law that says presidents must terminate a mission 60 or 90 days after notifying Congress that troops have been deployed into hostilities, unless lawmakers authorize the operation to continue.

Mr. Boehner had demanded that Mr. Obama explain his legal justification for passing the deadline. On Wednesday, Brendan Buck, a spokesman for Mr. Boehner, said he was still reviewing the documents, adding that “the creative arguments made by the White House raise a number of questions that must be further explored.”

The escalating confrontation with Congress reflects the radically altered political landscape in Washington: a Democratic president asserting sweeping executive powers to deploy American forces overseas, while Republicans call for stricter oversight and voice fears about executive-branch power getting the United States bogged down in a foreign war.

(LoL - and just watch how it all changes back around under the next GOP puppet, sickening, actually. - AF)

so launching a DoS attack against the DoD is an act of war, but an when it is us actual act of war like dropping bombs is just shits and giggles. nice double standard!

buck000
06-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Regardless of the rhetoric, it's my opinion that if you send a B-2 bomber from Missouri to bomb Libya (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1368337/Libya-crisis-B2-stealth-bombers-25-hour-flight-Missouri-Tripoli.html), it's a war...

mport1
06-16-2011, 01:03 PM
War is peace...

Anti Federalist
06-16-2011, 03:01 PM
War is peace...

Silence, Mundane!

How dare you make our Glorious Leader appear foolish?!

Anti Federalist
06-16-2011, 03:02 PM
http://www.mercurynews.com/politics-government/ci_18282975?nclick_check=1

another way to find it.

Whoops, missed your post

Thanks.

CanadaBoy
06-16-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm with the administration on this one; it's not a war... it's an invasion.

klamath
06-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Japan never set boots on the ground at pearl Harbor, what the hell did we declare war on them for?
All I can say is the obama defenders are making Bush look like a constitutionalist. "this is the only just war and the republicans are stopping it.... Bush went to war without a vote of congress..... Quadaffi was comitting genocide!...... It is a NATO operation which means we are not at war! NATO is!....." Guess what then we are not at war in afganistan.

HOLLYWOOD
06-16-2011, 06:05 PM
This crap is outta control... LA Times today... OBAMA Breaks record on selling military Arms Overseas... almost $42 BILLION in weaponry sold, breaking last years record of $40 Billion.

Yet these same government bastards don't want any of "WE THE PEOPLE' to own arms here.

HYPOCRISY and TYRANNY!

U.S. Arms Makers Look Overseas As Domestic Demand Shrinks To Puppet Nations to Launder American Taxpayer Money To the US Military Industrial Complex there, I fixed it...;)
http://discussions.latimes.com/20/lanews/la-fi-weapon-exports-20110616/10

jct74
06-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Sen. Rand Paul responds:

"The Obama Administration has failed miserably in its attempt to justify their unconstitutional war in Libya. Their attempt yesterday to convince Congress that we are in fact not engaged in hostilities was breathtaking in its implications for both Libya and for future presidential war authority.

"The argument that our military is not engaged in hostilities because the Libyan military is unable to effectively retaliate has two major problems. First, according to the Administration's report, attacking Libyan air defense is one of the primary roles our military is playing. Of course they aren't shooting back well, we blew up their air defense system.

"If you take the Administration's logic to its natural, if extreme-sounding, conclusion, the bigger problem is this: Under their logic, the President could attack a country, even with nuclear weapons, and not consider it to be a war needing Congressional approval if the country is unable to retaliate. This policy completely violates his constitutional authority. It also sends a dangerous signal to rogue nations and schoolyard bullies alike: If we hit you hard enough that you can't hit back, it doesn't count as an attack."

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?298935-Press-release-Sen.-Paul-Responds-to-Obama’s-Mishandling-of-Libyan-War

Anti Federalist
06-17-2011, 12:30 AM
rogue nations = ones that fight back when we bomb the shit out of them.

"Stop resisting! BOOM Stop resisting! BOOM Stop resisting! BOOM"

Jandrsn21
06-17-2011, 03:16 AM
"Missiles and drones do not constitute "hostilities"."

When I read the headline, I, for a second, thought he actually said that! I was like :o is going on! 1984^1984th!

psi2941
06-17-2011, 03:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gscjkfDwv3w

show how much a joke the nobel peace prize is.

OBAMA = BUSH 2.0

Travlyr
06-17-2011, 03:49 AM
show how much a joke the nobel peace prize is.

War is Peace.

The Nobel War Prize

Hotchney
06-17-2011, 04:13 AM
Ha I just made an obama video with the same clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihBoSPSocKs

Travlyr
06-17-2011, 04:25 AM

Nice work!

Jandrsn21
06-17-2011, 05:59 AM

Very Nice!

Anti Federalist
06-17-2011, 01:31 PM
Bump for videos

Anti Federalist
06-17-2011, 01:33 PM
"Missiles and drones do not constitute "hostilities"."

When I read the headline, I, for a second, thought he actually said that! I was like :o is going on! 1984^1984th!

Pretty much:

"U.S. operations do not involve sustained fighting or active exchanges of fire with hostile forces, nor do they involve U.S. ground troops.”

"England Prevails!"

Dr.3D
06-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Japan never set boots on the ground at pearl Harbor, what the hell did we declare war on them for?
All I can say is the obama defenders are making Bush look like a constitutionalist. "this is the only just war and the republicans are stopping it.... Bush went to war without a vote of congress..... Quadaffi was comitting genocide!...... It is a NATO operation which means we are not at war! NATO is!....." Guess what then we are not at war in afganistan.

Probably because the U.S. considered it an act of war, and of course the fact that the Japanese declared war right after the attack. (Japan claims they had tried to declare just before the attack, but the typist was too slow.)

Regardless, the attack was an act of war, even without troops on the ground or a formal declaration of war.

klamath
06-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Probably because the U.S. considered it an act of war, and of course the fact that the Japanese declared war right after the attack. (Japan claims they had tried to declare just before the attack, but the typist was too slow.)

Regardless, the attack was an act of war, even without troops on the ground or a formal declaration of war.

actually it was sarcasm. If course it is considered an act of war. I am quit sure libya considers the US at war with them as well.

Dr.3D
06-18-2011, 07:06 AM
actually it was sarcasm. If course it is considered an act of war. I am quit sure libya considers the US at war with them as well.

I was just reinforcing your point.

flightlesskiwi
06-18-2011, 08:32 AM
found this on a forum on a site called baseops.net... primarily AF personnel participation (high population of meatheads-- i say that with no respect, btw)

Posted 23 April 2011 - 11:01 AM
On a lighter note...Libyan airspace is now a designated Hostile Fire Area. Look for the memo to filter down or PM me with your GAL email for a copy.

funny when matched with the title of the thread

flightlesskiwi
06-18-2011, 08:37 AM

absolutely brilliant video!!!