PDA

View Full Version : Texas smackdown: Ron Paul says Rick Perry is ‘status quo’ presidential contender who would

sailingaway
06-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Texas smackdown: Ron Paul says Rick Perry is ‘status quo’ presidential contender who would ‘dilute the establishment vote’

http://blog.chron.com/txpotomac/2011/06/texas-smackdown-ron-paul-says-rick-perry-is-status-quo-presidential-contender-who-would-dilute-the-establishment-vote/

in part:

The outspoken libertarian, who voted against Bush policies more frequently than any other Republican in the Texas congressional delegation, labeled Perry an establishment candidate for president. The Texas congressman suggested that his governor would help insurgents (like Paul) by competing for establishment support against candidates like former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty.

“He’s going to dilute the vote,” Paul said on the same Fox program Perry visited a day earlier. “But he’ll dilute the establishment vote. But the people who are sick and tired of what they’re getting in Washington, I don’t think he’s going to be that attractive to that group of people.”

CaptUSA
06-16-2011, 10:49 AM
I think I agree here, but I don't think diluting the establishment vote really helps. The only way this would help is if they destroy each other in ads. So much so that when one of them eventually drops out the other's supporters will go anywhere else but to the rival.

The problem with that idea though, is that the media will ignore every other contender because the head-to-head story is too good.

I think the best avenue we have is to have lots of anti-establishment candidates building their own support. Then, when the anti-establishment candidates begin to drop out, gain their endorsements. It should be too hard to do since their campaigns have been built against the establishment.

If it becomes a two man battle and both are establishment, it makes it too easy for the others to pick a side from the "big two". Just my opinion...