PDA

View Full Version : Some wierd Rasmussen polling results for Paul

Maestro232
06-16-2011, 08:26 AM
So Rasmussen has some wierd numbers here...

Seventy-five percent (75%) of primary voters describe Bachmann as at least somewhat conservative. That includes 55% who say she is Very Conservative...

Similarly, 63% say Paul is at least somewhat conservative, including 39% who think he is Very Conservative.

People think Bachmann is more conservative than Paul? What gives?

Full Article:
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2012/election_2012_presidential_election/romney_bachmann_cain_lead_the_pack_among_gop_prima ry_voters

ItsTime
06-16-2011, 08:27 AM
She likes war and the patriot act = conservative to the neo-cons.

kahless
06-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Neocons over the years would slam anyone that is against interventionist foreign policy as a liberal lefty. So I suspect that from all the Neocon propaganda against Ron that people may actually believe he is on the left or equate interventionism with Conservatism instead of Neoconservatism which is more closely aligned with the Progressive ideology.

Maestro232
06-16-2011, 08:47 AM
Neocons over the years would slam anyone that is against interventionist foreign policy as a liberal lefty. So I suspect that from all the Neocon propaganda against Ron that people may actually belief he is on the left or equate interventionism with Conservatism instead of Neoconservatism which is more closely aligned with the Progressive ideology.

In other words...the American people still don't get it. :(

Krugerrand
06-16-2011, 08:49 AM
I'd like to hear RP say something like "I don't think George Bush would have beat Al Gore had he not challenged Gore on nation building."

Maestro232
06-16-2011, 08:51 AM
I'd like to hear RP say something like "I don't think George Bush would have beat Al Gore had he not challenged Gore on nation building."

It's not just what he says either, but how he says it. He really came across as pessamistic curmudgeon during the recent debate as apposed to hopeful leader.

acptulsa
06-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Somehow things got twisted to the point where people think conserving the Bill of Rights is a liberal thing to do.

marc1888
06-16-2011, 08:53 AM
They are right but for the wrong reasons :)

sailingaway
06-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Some people think you have to be forcing their views on others, socially, to be conservative. But that isn't conservative, it is tyrannical. But they don't like that word.

FrankRep
06-16-2011, 09:07 AM
People think Bachmann is more conservative than Paul? What gives?

Legalizing Heroin and Prostitution aren't typically viewed as a Conservative positions.

Don Lapre
06-16-2011, 09:14 AM
It's not just what he says either, but how he says it. He really came across as pessamistic curmudgeon during the recent debate as apposed to hopeful leader.

I'm afraid this is probably true.

The old crank in the ill-fitting suit ---> who talks too fast and too negatively.

That's the perception that a large segment of the sheeple have formed.

I thought he did a good job with his answers in the debate.
His presentation could be better.

I think he always feels like he's walking into the lion's den, and it's just the normal human reaction (built up over many years) to try to fend off everyone mocking you by taking a defensive posture ---> rather than a hopeful, smiling posture.

The reality in this day-and-age is that you've got to make the folks feel GOOD when they look at you.
You've got give the people the visual that pleases them.
The visual where people say, "Yeah, I could see him as our president."

I'm not sure Ron gives off the vibe very well.

Maestro232
06-16-2011, 09:14 AM
Legalizing Heroin and Prostitution aren't typically viewed as a Conservative positions.

That's an excellent point. I think this also reveals a weak-point in RP's presentation that he'll need to think about. If the Rasmussen poll is correct about peoples' perception that RP isn't as conservative as we know him to be, and you are correct that it is these social issues that are the sticking point, RP needs to consider how to address this.

JK/SEA
06-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Yeah, Ron needs to be more of a sleazy salesman, than the Statesman he is now. Correct?

sailingaway
06-16-2011, 09:27 AM

Ron isn't for legalizing them, he is for leaving it to the states. He thinks addiction should be treated as a disease, though, as we do with alcoholism.

newyearsrevolution08
06-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Polls are fun to look at for sure.

Other than that they serve no purpose, at least in my head they don't.

I want to see early polls that actually led to that candidate winning. I swear every front runner gets screwed somehow lol.

FrankRep
06-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Ron isn't for legalizing them, he is for leaving it to the states. He thinks addiction should be treated as a disease, though, as we do with alcoholism.
I'm well aware, but I'm answering why Bachmann is viewed as more Conservative. I question if the public understands that Ron Paul wants it to be a State Issue.

Xenophage
06-16-2011, 09:46 AM
Does this depend on your view of what 'conservative' means? Paul may be more conservative than Bachmann in the Goldwater sense, but today's conservatives don't look much like Goldwater.

Ron is a libertarian.

sailingaway
06-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Does this depend on your view of what 'conservative' means? Paul may be more conservative than Bachmann in the Goldwater sense, but today's conservatives don't look much like Goldwater.

Ron is a libertarian.

people think that means libertine.

Ron is a Constitutional conservative and a paleoconservative. 'libertarian' is a word they use to marginalize him, and while our dictionary is better than theirs, I avoid it.

Did you see Bachmann calls herself a Constitutional Conservative? She is completely packaging herself on what worked for Rand. Except she kinda doesn't worry about the 4th amendment much. And thinks wars in the middle east are our duty, apparently.

oyarde
06-16-2011, 09:56 AM

Exactly , he is for liberty , not all of those things would be viewed typically conservative .

Austrian Econ Disciple
06-16-2011, 10:00 AM

Ron is a Constitutional conservative and a paleoconservative. 'libertarian' is a word they use to marginalize him, and while our dictionary is better than theirs, I avoid it.

Did you see Bachmann calls herself a Constitutional Conservative? She is completely packaging herself on what worked for Rand. Except she kinda doesn't worry about the 4th amendment much. And thinks wars in the middle east are our duty, apparently.

I'm not ready to stoop to FU Frank levels -- are you?

FrankRep
06-16-2011, 10:21 AM

Very true, in Ron Paul's case, "libertarian" is a derogatory term used to attack Ron Paul.

tpreitzel
06-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Whether he likes it or not, Ron must change his approach when appearing on media, e.g. debates. He must learn to speak clearly, coherently and concisely. Time is evaporating and his supporters have a lot invested in him. You owe it to your supporters, Ron. You don't need to change your answers to questions, just your method of delivery.

steph3n
06-16-2011, 11:00 AM

tell me where prostitution is illegal federally in the first place and we'll start talking...

Raudsarw
06-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Somehow things got twisted to the point where people think conserving the Bill of Rights is a liberal thing to do.

The constitution is a liberal document. We're the real liberals here.

kpitcher
06-16-2011, 01:36 PM
The constitution is a liberal document. We're the real liberals here.
Her anti-evolution, pro intelligent design stance probably makes her a darling for the religious right. Somehow religious ideologues are considered conservative. I mean Jesus was quite the liberal Jew ;)

RyanRSheets
06-16-2011, 01:42 PM
This one's easy.

con·serv·a·tive/kənˈsərvətiv/
Noun: A person who is averse to change and holds to traditional values and attitudes, typically in politics.

We're trying to steal the definition like they stole "Liberal".

gls
06-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Ron supports limited government. That is not a conservative position.

FrankRep
06-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Ron supports limited government. That is not a conservative position.
The problem is words like "conservative" and "liberal" have no real meaning in politics.