PDA

View Full Version : Good thing Ron Paul didn't pick Iphone...

No Free Beer
06-16-2011, 07:19 AM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3641676/Apple-to-ban-iPhone-gig-filming.html

Travlyr
06-16-2011, 07:27 AM
The leading computer company plans to build a system that will sense when people are trying to video live events — and turn off their cameras.
Police activity is a live event. Damn. :(

PastaRocket848
06-16-2011, 07:34 AM
i don't really disagree with that to be honest. it's a matter of property rights. if people who run these venues don't want filming taking place that is within their rights, and they should be able to use whatever tech they want to help enforce their rules, so long as they dont infringe on the rights of the consumers. fact is, you don't have a right to break the rules, regardless of whether or not you agree with said rule. just my .02 on that one...

Brandon Todd Carr
06-16-2011, 07:34 AM
LOL. Wow. I hope they do this real quick so a boycott starts.

acptulsa
06-16-2011, 07:42 AM
Recording Grateful Dead concerts was allowed and even encouraged by the band. Capturing political rallies is encouraged. No one is going to get rich off of a recording of your kid's recital.

But, hey. What's a little public inconvenience and only a little loss of liberty in the face of the grand ideal of preserving corporate profits?

No Free Beer
06-16-2011, 07:42 AM
Pasta Rocket, Although I agree with your property rights opinion, I disagree with your reasoning. How does an outside company have the right to determine what is what? Maybe that property owner doesn't mind, or actually likes the publicity, shouldn't it be up them? Anyway, to me that is beside the point, it's the basic principle of what seems to be coming with technology. Apple has the right to do it, because you are voluntarily using a private company (Apple's) service, but this just goes too far. I posted this article, half seriously, but it still scares me. I don't trust Apple. Therefore, I will not buy their products...

sailingaway
06-16-2011, 07:49 AM
i don't really disagree with that to be honest. it's a matter of property rights. if people who run these venues don't want filming taking place that is within their rights, and they should be able to use whatever tech they want to help enforce their rules, so long as they dont infringe on the rights of the consumers. fact is, you don't have a right to break the rules, regardless of whether or not you agree with said rule. just my .02 on that one...

So if you go with friends to a game, you can't video tape anything that happens there, your friends with the foam fingers, the others with cheese on their heads.... people won't buy the cameras.

musicmax
06-16-2011, 07:53 AM
Will be disabled by the jailbreak community within days.

tangent4ronpaul
06-16-2011, 08:15 AM
It's supposed to pick up a signal broadcast by the venue - like a movie theater or concert hall and shut off. That traffic stop or your kids softball game won't be effected. This is being pushed by the IP people as part of their war on piracy.

PaleoForPaul
06-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Haha, good way to push users to android.

ItsTime
06-16-2011, 08:42 AM
So you can only record non-live events? Im confused.

specsaregood
06-16-2011, 08:42 AM
It's supposed to pick up a signal broadcast by the venue - like a movie theater or concert hall and shut off. That traffic stop or your kids softball game won't be effected.
Oh yeah? you think it is out of the realm of possibilities that police get the ability to broadcast that same signal? Even if only used sparingly to produce a camera "malfunction"?

tangent4ronpaul
06-16-2011, 08:52 AM
Oh yeah? you think it is out of the realm of possibilities that police get the ability to broadcast that same signal? Even if only used sparingly to produce a camera "malfunction"?

Yeah - it's feasible...

Stop giving them ideas!

ClayTrainor
06-16-2011, 08:57 AM
Will be disabled by the jailbreak community within days.

Lol yup. The effort is futile.

PastaRocket848
06-16-2011, 09:00 AM
now that's just conspiratorial. you really think police are going to be running around with ir blasters shutting down cameras at kids soccer games?

and we seem to forget that this system is entirely optional on the part of the venue's owner. its not any sort of requirement. just simply a new technology to help business owners protect their profits and property rights. if they don't want you filming they have ever right to take any step necessary to enforce it, so long as they don't violate your rights.

and considering the alternative to apple is google, it's hard to argue that apple is the worse choice. not only from a personal privacy, security, and user experience point of view, but in terms of who you are giving money to and what they support.

i find it funny that people argue "apple is playing big brother, good thing i got my phone from an obama-supporting bilderberger" lol

xRedfoxx
06-16-2011, 09:11 AM
A venue should be able to do whatever they want. If they want folks to film, then so be it. If they don't, they don't allow filming devices into the venue. Some hotels block cel phones so you have to use their phone service. That is private ownership. If you don't like someone's rules, you never go back. You are always free to set up your own venue and film free all day long.