PDA

View Full Version : We are listening

Don
10-30-2007, 07:14 AM
I felt is was important to take a few moments and talk directly to all of you in light of the recent controversy over the first New Hampshire ad.

I understand, as the rest of the national staff does, how much energy, time, and hope all of you have put into this campaign, revolution, movement...

We understand because we are just like you. This is not just a campaign to us, it is the realization of our own dreams for a new start for our nation.

Just like you we have invested everything in this effort. This is not a job to us, it is a sacred trust. The trust that all of you have placed in us is not a cliche, it is our mission.

We are your employees just as much as we are Ron's. Please don't believe for a minute that we don't understand that. This does not mean that we will run the campaign by consensus or that we will always make decisions that all of you will agree with.

It does mean that we will listen, respect your views and do what we believe is best for the campaign while honoring the trust that you have placed in us.

Many were unsatisfied with the first ad. Some have threatened to withhold donations as a result. I think that would be a terrible mistake. I could rehash the defense of the ad and our strategy that I have posted elsewhere on these forums, but that really isn't the point.

The point is trust. I will never claim unerring judgment or perfect knowledge, but I will always swear unyielding commitment to be the best steward of your trust that I possibly can. I don't claim to speak for the entire staff, but I know they all feel this way as well.

Don Rasmussen
Special Assistant
Ron Paul 2008 PCC

DjLoTi
10-30-2007, 07:16 AM
I love the ad! The internet generation is a bit spoiled :) ... And we don't really watch much TV because we think it sucks ;) But by TV's standard, the ad was fine! Word, respect - DjLoTi

LibertyEagle
10-30-2007, 07:17 AM
Thanks, Don. I can't imagine asking for more.

kylejack
10-30-2007, 07:18 AM
Oh great, another thread about the ad. :rolleyes:

Haha, just kidding, Don! Frankly, I've liked both ads all along. I actually liked the first a little better because it covers more ground and addresses more objections to voting for Ron Paul, and frankly I've always found supporters more emotionally credible than the actual candidate, for some reason. You guys are doing a great job.

Don't worry about the dissenters. I think they have a hard time understanding that 8 minute Youtube videos don't compact well to 30 seconds, not to mention the intellectual property issues related to the music those videos use. Also, I think they have a hard time understanding that these commercials are for relatively apolitical people, not for we converted few.

ladyliberty
10-30-2007, 07:19 AM
Good Post, Don, THANK YOU! We believe in Ron Paul and we support his message!

(This message is not a paid political announcement.)

alien
10-30-2007, 07:22 AM
I knew you all had a reason for it. I think it has a purpose just like you had intended. Thanks for the hard work!

transistor
10-30-2007, 07:24 AM
I overreacted when I first saw the ad... I think it's fine now

maxmerkel
10-30-2007, 07:24 AM
this is great !

i still don't like the first ad: these are the reasons :

* unprofessional, they could have used an american flag/nature/constitution as the bluescreen behind ron paul in the beginning, not actually a, well, "blue screen"

* dr. paul could look a little less grim and angry (i know he can smile!)

* the supporters sound like actors (there are way better supporter interviews out there you could have used)

* maybe ONE person with another ethnic background should appear in the video ? not sure about this one...

other than that, the ad is ok and should work well on the demographics you made it for.

IowaSupport
10-30-2007, 07:25 AM
We <3 you too, Don.

walt
10-30-2007, 07:26 AM
I felt is was important to take a few moments and talk directly to all of you in light of the recent controversy over the first New Hampshire ad.

I understand, as the rest of the national staff does, how much energy, time, and hope all of you have put into this campaign, revolution, movement...

We understand because we are just like you. This is not just a campaign to us, it is the realization of our own dreams for a new start for our nation.

Just like you we have invested everything in this effort. This is not a job to us, it is a sacred trust. The trust that all of you have placed in us is not a cliche, it is our mission.

We are your employees just as much as we are Ron's. Please don't believe for a minute that we don't understand that. This does not mean that we will run the campaign by consensus or that we will always make decisions that all of you will agree with.

It does mean that we will listen, respect your views and do what we believe is best for the campaign while honoring the trust that you have placed in us.

Many were unsatisfied with the first ad. Some have threatened to withhold donations as a result. I think that would be a terrible mistake. I could rehash the defense of the ad and our strategy that I have posted elsewhere on these forums, but that really isn't the point.

The point is trust. I will never claim unerring judgment or perfect knowledge, but I will always swear unyielding commitment to be the best steward of your trust that I possibly can. I don't claim to speak for the entire staff, but I know they all feel this way as well.

Don Rasmussen
Special Assistant
Ron Paul 2008 PCC

You completely fail to acknowledge the real issue - what you will do differently going forward? I'm not one of them but why not hire some of the people that have made videos that have received hundreds of thousands of views on Youtube. I think people are upset that this commerical was not at all in our voice and up to our standards of passion. You're message indicates that you are still clueless about the real issue.

P.S. If ronpaul2008.com goes down after Leno tonight - I give up on you guys altogether.

Pride
10-30-2007, 07:27 AM
Thanks, all the best with the campaign. At least you are getting the word out and putting these ad's on television and I am sure the next few ad's will be great. The second one is really good. I hope the next lot will be even better!

maxmerkel
10-30-2007, 07:29 AM
forgot to say, we all believe in the campaign and please get dr. paul on the Ellen DeGeneres show ;)
(http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=327350&postcount=1)

kylejack
10-30-2007, 07:30 AM
You completely fail to acknowledge the real issue - what you will do differently going forward?
As he stated, they're not acknowledging any mistake was made (because none was made) and this is not a democracy, it is a RonPaul-ocracy. He's offering input into the process, and explanations of decisions. They know what they're doing, and what appeals to the forum is not the same as what appeals to the general uninformed public.

belian78
10-30-2007, 07:32 AM
You completely fail to acknowledge the real issue - what you will do differently going forward? I'm not one of them but why not hire some of the people that have made videos that have received hundreds of thousands of views on Youtube. I think people are upset that this commerical was not at all in our voice and up to our standards of passion. You're message indicates that you are still clueless about the real issue.

P.S. If ronpaul2008.com goes down after Leno tonight - I give up on you guys altogether.

seriously dude, check yourself. calm down, have some hot chocolate and it'll be ok. i promise. i'd really hate to see you leave because of a freakin commercial, dont you see how silly that would be? if you've truly been a member of this group and the grassroots movement as myself and others have, then just up and quitting over a damn tv ad seems pretty dumb. i really hope you dont, but if you do.. it'll be a lonley road for ya..

runningdiz
10-30-2007, 07:34 AM
Thanks! We stand behind you!

margomaps
10-30-2007, 07:36 AM
I overreacted when I first saw the ad... I think it's fine now

Ditto. I didn't like it at first (to put it mildly), but now I realize it's catching on, I'm tellin' 'ya!

kylejack
10-30-2007, 07:37 AM
Ditto. I didn't like it at first (to put it mildly), but now I realize it's catching on, I'm tellin' 'ya!

I gotta tell ya, its catching on!

unklejman
10-30-2007, 07:38 AM
Thank you for the response and positive words.

I still hold my opinion as a new media professional that the supporters in the commercial should have been more genuine and not trying to act.

DjLoTi
I'm tellin ya! ;)

rs3515
You completely fail to acknowledge the real issue - what you will do differently going forward?

Walt, take a look at this thread I've started to try to get the ball rolling on some future ad-related things ... http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=29856

amakris
10-30-2007, 07:39 AM
Thanks, Don. Keep up the good work.

Shiranu
10-30-2007, 07:42 AM
Its catchin' on!

BillyDkid
10-30-2007, 07:45 AM
People threatened to withhold donations??? That is absurd - like petulant school children. I do hope Don understands that the few who do that kind of thing do not represent the rest of us. I wasn't thrilled with the ad, but I was happy to be having something on the air.

Stealth4
10-30-2007, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the post Don and thanks for your efforts at the campaign.

Im hoping we can each gain energy by feeding off of each other as one group outdoes the other. We are in this with you to WIN!

born2drv
10-30-2007, 07:52 AM
I just wanted to say thank you for all your hard work... who ever came up with the new slim jims, thank you for those as well....

it would be great to get a few more themes of slim jims, like one for small business owners would be great.

keep up the good work!

walt
10-30-2007, 07:57 AM
seriously dude, check yourself. calm down, have some hot chocolate and it'll be ok. i promise. i'd really hate to see you leave because of a freakin commercial, dont you see how silly that would be? if you've truly been a member of this group and the grassroots movement as myself and others have, then just up and quitting over a damn tv ad seems pretty dumb. i really hope you dont, but if you do.. it'll be a lonley road for ya..

it's part of a pattern of top-down actions rather than bottom up that is disturbing - it brings EVERYTHING into question. Including how Ron would govern. Fix this attitude now or I don't care.

rs3515
10-30-2007, 07:59 AM
it's part of a pattern of top-down actions rather than bottom up that is disturbing - it brings EVERYTHING into question. Including how Ron would govern. Fix this attitude now or I don't care.

Walt, please check this out if you haven't already ... http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=29856

SwanMaiden
10-30-2007, 08:07 AM
In response to the issue of people threatening to withhold donations because of the ad. I saw posts to that affect in the YouTube feedback as well as some other places. Most of these posts were from brand new accounts, meaning they were most likely trolls and supporters of other candidates cleverly seizing an opportunity to stir up divisiveness, negativity, and doubt amongst the Ron Paul faithful. All I can say is, nice try. I believe that very few true RP supporters would be so vindictive and petty as to withhold desperately needed donations from the campaign and jeopardize Dr. Paul's chances over an ad they didn't like.:rolleyes:

DrNoZone
10-30-2007, 08:10 AM
Thank you Don! It's so nice to know for SURE that the campaign is listening to what goes on over here on the forums. We can be passionate, outspoken, loudmouths who throw fits sometimes, but don't take all of that too seriously. Just read between the lines and cull out the important stuff. :D

kylejack
10-30-2007, 08:23 AM

Ron Paul's running the most bottom up campaign perhaps in recent history. Obviously some things need to be administered top down. If you want to help, participate in the commercial contest, or donate to it.

RP08
10-30-2007, 08:31 AM
Wow... someone from the HQ of America's champion of the Constitution, posting on our humble forum. Nice.

Like that would ever happen with any of the other candidates *hah*.

I won't say what I think about the first ad. I think all that needs to be said already has.

stevedasbach
10-30-2007, 08:36 AM
Several independent groups and individuals have run and continue to run ads supporting Ron Paul. They don't ask permission from the campaign to run these ads nor do they let the campaign determine the content of the ads.

Likewise, the campaign needs to make decisions about the ads they run. If they were to let supporters determine the content of the ads (which we would never agree on) no ads would ever get run.

They should certainly listen to and consider feedback from supporters, but ultimately they have to make decisions that they believe are best for the campaign. We're not all going to agree with all those decisions (we don't all agree with all of Dr. Paul's positions either) but we should respect them and not try to undermine them.

kaleidoscope eyes
10-30-2007, 08:39 AM
Don thanks for the statement, very much appreciated and needed!
Keep doin' what you're doin' :)

margomaps
10-30-2007, 08:40 AM
I won't say what I think about the first ad. I think all that needs to be said already has..

You mean, that it's catching on? Yeah, I'm tellin' 'ya, it is. ;)

NinjaPirate
10-30-2007, 08:43 AM
I STILL think Ad #1 is cheesy as hell, but I have to admit, it is working. Look at all these goobers who keep quoting it: "He's catching on, I'm telling you!"

Ad #1 is a blessing in disguise! :D

kylejack
10-30-2007, 08:48 AM
Ninja, the ad is catching on, I'm telling you!

NinjaPirate
10-30-2007, 08:51 AM
Ninja, the ad is catching on, I'm telling you!

Lol, I rest my case!

I was never against the ad, my feelings towards it were "meh" at best, but it is indeed starting to prove its worth!

belian78
10-30-2007, 09:02 AM
In response to the issue of people threatening to withhold donations because of the ad. I saw posts to that affect in the YouTube feedback as well as some other places. Most of these posts were from brand new accounts, meaning they were most likely trolls and supporters of other candidates cleverly seizing an opportunity to stir up divisiveness, negativity, and doubt amongst the Ron Paul faithful. All I can say is, nice try. I believe that very few true RP supporters would be so vindictive and petty as to withhold desperately needed donations from the campaign and jeopardize Dr. Paul's chances over an ad they didn't like.:rolleyes:

those on google with new accounts are most likely trolls, however on forums like these what we'll have to look out for are people that have an established history all the sudden saying they're done supporting or donating because of this that or the other thing. we're already starting to see it on here, and it makes me very suspicious to say the least. I know that I've come this far, and made the efforts that I have, and to give up and quit because of something like flowers or a damn add is absolutely crazy. so be on the lookout for people all the sudden decenting and showing a new face, and the newer ones will start to agree, the newer ones will be a mix of trolls and undecideds. just stay on message and stay focused.

nathanielyao
10-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Great work Don! We are all working to get Ron into office! That is our common goal.

I agree with the trolls thing. I've been reading the board since end of May and registered in June. Mostly reading and not posting. There have been a lot of new people recently and a few old one who have been consistently negative recently. Just an observation.

Let's all do our best to get get Ron Paul elected.

Are you a scruncher or a folder? ...to each his own :)

csen
10-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Thanks, Don. As you know, this is a campaign with a lot of passionate, "high-touch" supporters who demand, rightly or wrongly, to be a part of the decision-making process. We also have more than a bit of an "us against the world" paranoid mentality, so if we're disappointed in a decision without an explanation we're going to freak out a bit. I still fervently believe in Dr. Paul and the rest of the campaign, but acknowledge that bumps in the road will happen from time to time. Here's to a successful NH result.

CasualApathy
10-30-2007, 09:54 AM

Bye bye then.

American
10-30-2007, 10:53 AM
I never had a problem with the ad, I dont know New Hampshire or the intended target audience. it was a bit cheesy but then again I also know I have been spoiled by all these other youtube video that have 5-8 mins of time so what you guys did in 30 seconds I am sure will do the job.

rrroae
10-30-2007, 11:13 AM
I'm a new RP supporter so if someone can direct me to these adds I'd really appreciate it.

Also, whether the adds are great or marginal, it seems recognition would be a top priority at this point so I don't think people should get too worked up one way or the other about the add content.

I must say I can really feel the electricity here and this grumpy neocon is starting to get swept up in it. Ya'all seem like a great asset to a deserving candidate.

Tidewise
10-30-2007, 11:36 AM
I didn't like the ad, but hey, that is why I have never watched much TV in my life. I simply don't have enough marketing experience or political experience to say what will work and what will not work. I trust the campaign AND the grassroots movement.

As to this kind of attitude:

If ronpaul2008.com goes down after Leno tonight - I give up on you guys altogether.

Fix this attitude now or I don't care.

Our forefathers gave their lives, fortunes and sacred honor to establish and preserve liberty, but this guy is going to give up if the server is slow? Weak!

leipo
10-30-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm a new RP supporter so if someone can direct me to these adds I'd really appreciate it.

Ron Paul TV Ad #1 for New Hampshire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30yxHqSUva8

Ron Paul TV Ad #2 for New Hampshire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay4vXZWxeuU

The first ad is the opposite of what Ron Paul is about, IMO.

Ron Paul: down-to-earth & sincere.
First ad: cheesy & insincere.

JMann
10-30-2007, 12:01 PM
'Maybe ONE person with another ethnic background should appear in the video ? not sure about this one...'

I do agree with this, I'm sick of Republican politicians using only overweight white people in their ads. Not necessary just this ad but in most Republican ads the supporters all seem to be fat. I know we live in a country where food is plentiful but for Buddha's sake do we really need to see fat people. They should stay in their homes because they are very disgusting and much more offensive than smokers.

kylejack
10-30-2007, 12:03 PM
'Maybe ONE person with another ethnic background should appear in the video ? not sure about this one...'

I do agree with this, I'm sick of Republican politicians using only overweight white people in their ads. Not necessary just this ad but in most Republican ads the supporters all seem to be fat. I know we live in a country where food is plentiful but for Buddha's sake do we really need to see fat people. They should stay in their homes because they are very disgusting and much more offensive than smokers.
If there's one thing you can say about New Hampshire, it would be that its really white.

White persons, percent, 2005 (a) 96.1%
Black persons, percent, 2005 (a) 1.0%
American Indian and Alaska Native persons, percent, 2005 (a) 0.2%
Asian persons, percent, 2005 (a) 1.7%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, percent, 2005 (a) 0.0%
Persons reporting two or more races, percent, 2005 1.0%
Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, percent, 2005 (b) 2.2%
White persons not Hispanic, percent, 2005 94.1%

walt
10-30-2007, 12:04 PM
I didn't like the ad, but hey, that is why I have never watched much TV in my life. I simply don't have enough marketing experience or political experience to say what will work and what will not work. I trust the campaign AND the grassroots movement.

As to this kind of attitude:

Our forefathers gave their lives, fortunes and sacred honor to establish and preserve liberty, but this guy is going to give up if the server is slow? Weak!

It's preventable and inexcusable.

Larofeticus
10-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Keep up the good work Don.

-bill from columbia SC

leipo
10-30-2007, 12:07 PM

You are the one who is disgusting & offensive.

margomaps

You might want to consider taking a more reasonable approach to this. Do you know how many Ron Paul supporters you may have just deeply offended by calling them disgusting? Not a classy move, my friend.

FWIW, I counted 2 overweight people in the first ad, and 8 who weren't (including Dr. Paul). This is a much lower ratio of overweight-to-not-overweight than the country as a whole. ;)

jgmaynard
Don Rasmussen?!?!?

With someone with a last name like Rasmussen on our campaign staff, shouldn't we be doing better in the "scientific polls?" LOL. jk. ;)

JM

spiteface
10-30-2007, 12:13 PM
I'm tellin' ya, the ad is a cult classic already!
It's got the most fun catchphrase of the campaign!

speciallyblend
10-30-2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks Don,keep up the great work,we are all watching Iowa/NH/SC/NV and of course im working hard in our CO MTNS;)

American
10-30-2007, 12:17 PM
It's preventable and inexcusable.

Move on troll, Osama inst going to get the election and you might as well come to grips with that now. Playing this role wont get you any traction here either, you must be getting used to failure by now. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the laugh though....

Don
10-30-2007, 12:22 PM
LOL - I was wondering when someone would notice my last name. Yea, Scott (the pollster) is my cousin, but he is exasperatingly incorruptible. ;) He is also a very honest guy. I just think traditional polling (his are all auto-dial) is becoming less meaningful for all of the reasons that have been articulated on the forums and elsewhere.

Duckman
10-30-2007, 12:30 PM
Don, THANKS for listening. I know we can be a rowdy, opinionated bunch.

We get this way because we CARE. Alot.

Tidewise
10-30-2007, 12:50 PM
I know we live in a country where food is plentiful but for Buddha's sake do we really need to see fat people.

Uhhh ... have you seen any Buddha statues lately?

KramerDSP
10-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Does anyone mind posting the 30 second transcript of the first ad so I can post it onto my blog where captioned videos are ? I can easily subtitle it. That is, after I understand what everyone said :) I have the second video up and subtitled. Thanks.

Tom29
10-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Don: Please hire (well paid) professional's for this job.
I can't understand: your campaign-website is slicker than slick and than this...

goldstandard
10-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the post. What can you say about ads #3, #4 and #5? Will you focus on different issues/other target audience?

uncle saddam
10-30-2007, 01:23 PM
I bet it's only because you hear the negatives more than anyone.

I totally loved the first ad and understand where you guys were coming from. Of course it's going to look 'silly' to all of us who know RP better than most.

Don't let the haters hamper the movement. I'm still 110%

Don
10-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the post. What can you say about ads #3, #4 and #5? Will you focus on different issues/other target audience?

On a public forum, I think I will keep our powder dry.

Eli
10-30-2007, 04:15 PM
thanks don, loved the ad! Definitely a good use of donation money (i couldn't IMAGINE why someone would threaten to hold back donations because they didn't approve of something..weird).

what we as the grassroots really really want to see is more appearances on tv shows...like jay leno. I know most at the campaign aren't too familiar with popular tv shows, but thus far they are a huge way to boost ron pauls name recognition and polling. I worked day and night trying to get ron paul on jay leno for nearly 8 months, it shouldn't of taken that long. I know every show imaginable has been getting massive emails for the same amount of time trying to get him on. I wish the campaign would make some phone calls and try to book some showings. A few ideas that i know the grassroots have been pulling really hard for and should be a pushover at this point if they could get a call from you guys:
ellen degenres
good morning america
regis and kelly
david letterman
conan obrien
60 minutes
larry king
oprah

kylejack
10-30-2007, 04:16 PM
Oprah's not going to happen. She's an Obama girl.

Eli
10-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Oprah's not going to happen. She's an Obama girl.

yeah probably not, thats why i put her on the bottom with no bold.

Benaiah
10-30-2007, 04:37 PM
You guys really need to get Ron Paul on Glenn Beck so that he will stop telling his audience that Ron won't go on his show.

Glenn's audience would LOVE Ron Paul.

I AM Glenn's audience.

michaelwise
10-30-2007, 04:45 PM
Thanks Don. We know you're working hard. I hope you've developed a stomach for the nasty responses that come out of this forum, and the good ones too. No one can bottle up the passion of this campaign.

M.Bellmore
10-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Don will there be any fulltime help for Michigan? We could use someone who has the time to talk at all the major colleges (even those waaay up north in the U.P.), and some planning to take us to January. While there are some bright spots (arab-american efforts, UofM crowd) we are somewhat disjoint and there is no overall plan for success.

Thanks for all the hard work!

James R
10-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Don, I think we have come to simply accept the ad. Not only that, but I think now most of us aren't particularly strong against it.