PDA

View Full Version : Did you guys hear the story about ATF selling guns to Mexican

wgadget
06-15-2011, 04:15 PM
drug lords? Whistleblowers were told to tow the line.

This should be a HUGE story.

wgadget
06-15-2011, 04:40 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/15/us-usa-mexico-guns-idUSTRE75E49N20110615

dannno
06-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Ya it was a huge story a couple months ago, but mainstream news only glazed over it. The narrative the news stations told made it seem harmless.

They emphasized that they were using the sales to help get to the cartel centers to destroy them.

Dr.3D
06-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Ya it was a huge story a couple months ago, but mainstream news only glazed over it. The narrative the news stations told made it seem harmless.

They emphasized that they were using the sales to help get to the cartel centers to destroy them.

LOL, that might have worked if they had placed GPS transmitters in the guns.

wgadget
06-15-2011, 04:49 PM
They were having hearings in Congress today, and some of those questioners were pretty pissed...Asking who was at the top of the food chain.

Looks to me like it was GWBush. Makes sense as it fits right in with how he "secured the border."

wgadget
06-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Here's a better link:

http://blogs.ajc.com/jamie-dupree-washington-insider/2011/06/15/fast-and-furious/

Pericles
06-15-2011, 05:00 PM
LOL, that might have worked if they had placed GPS transmitters in the guns.

Or, if there was some way the ATF could arrest people in Mexico ...:rolleyes:

Otherwise, it was obviously for political purposes - we need more gun control!:mad:

Dr.3D
06-15-2011, 05:02 PM
Or, if there was some way the ATF could arrest people in Mexico ...:rolleyes:

Otherwise, it was obviously for political purposes - we need more gun control!:mad:

Since when did the U.S. government care about arresting people in other countries? They would just bomb them with a drone.

I do agree though, it's more about gun control than anything else.

wgadget
06-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Since when did the U.S. government care about arresting people in other countries? They would just bomb them with a drone.

I do agree though, it's more about gun control than anything else.

Looks like it may have backfired. (Pun intended)

Chester Copperpot
06-15-2011, 05:04 PM
they called it operation fast and furious.. though i thought it was originally called operation gunrunner.. unless theyre 2 different operations?

grill the mothers... shut down the atf

FreedomProsperityPeace
06-15-2011, 05:05 PM
It was Operation Fast and Furious. I heard they did it so they could see where the guns would go. One of those guns was used to kill that border agent. This should be a huge scandal, but of course the liberal media is protecting Obama yet again. :rolleyes:

wgadget
06-15-2011, 05:10 PM
It was Operation Fast and Furious. I heard they did it so they could see where the guns would go. One of those guns was used to kill that border agent. This should be a huge scandal, but of course the liberal media is protecting Obama yet again. :rolleyes:

It's on Drudge, which is a good sign. Sometimes the MSM is just a little slow.

FreedomProsperityPeace
06-15-2011, 05:13 PM
It's on Drudge, which is a good sign. Sometimes the MSM is just a little slow.If it was Bush or another Republican, CNN, MSNBC, and the networks would've hopped all over this and blown it up into a big deal immediately.

JK/SEA
06-15-2011, 05:26 PM
AC360 looks like he's doing a story on this tomorrow.

wgadget
06-15-2011, 05:26 PM
If it was Bush or another Republican, CNN, MSNBC, and the networks would've hopped all over this and blown it up into a big deal immediately.

Um...IT IS BUSH. It happened first in the Bush administration (2007, I believe).

FreedomProsperityPeace
06-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Um...IT IS BUSH. It happened first in the Bush administration (2007, I believe).I haven't heard anything about that. All the information I've seen says it has been under the Obama administration. Regardless, Obama is the one who was conducting it until recently, so he is the one who has to answer for it.

The program came to a crashing halt in January with the death of U.S. Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry.

In a March 2010 memo, ATF says it allowed gun smugglers to buy 359 guns while 958 people died in Mexico the same month.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/06/15/house-panel-slams-fast-and-furious-gun-operation-tied-to-border-agents-death/

flightlesskiwi
06-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Um...IT IS BUSH. It happened first in the Bush administration (2007, I believe).

i have a vague memory about the US being accused of supplying weapons to MX drug cartels back in 2008-- something about military-grade weapons with their serial numbers removed. maybe i'm just crazy. pretty sure whoever was doing the accusing was being called a conspiracy theorist.

FrankRep
06-15-2011, 06:59 PM
drug lords? Whistleblowers were told to tow the line.

This should be a HUGE story.

Yep.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/images/stories2011/08aMay/2711-cs-gun.jpg (http://www.shopjbs.org/index.php/tna/subscriptions/1-year-standard-subscription.html)

In Project Gunrunner, the ATF purposely allowed over a thousand guns, perhaps many thousands, to be sold to Mexico drug cartels.

Project Gunrunner (http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/crime/7599-project-gunrunner)

Andy Ramirez | The New American (http://www.thenewamerican.com/)
26 May 2011

wgadget
06-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Fast and Furious

1:52 pm June 15, 2011, by Jamie Dupree

The investigation of a U.S. Government operation that allowed guns to be sold to buyers who then funneled those weapons to Mexican drug organizations took a huge step forward today in Congress, as three federal agents said they warned superiors to stop those plans as early as 2007.

"There have been grave mistakes made in this case," said Peter J. Forcelli, a Supervisory Special Agent with Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) in Phoenix, who first raised the issue with his superiors four years ago.

"Allowing firearms to be trafficked to criminals is a dangerous and deadly strategy," Forcelli told a House Committee.

That was obvious to lawmakers, as the family members of slain Border Patrol agent Bryan Terry sat at the same witness table as Forcelli and two other ATF agents.

"I have never heard an explanation from anyone involved in Operation Fast and Furious that I believe would justice what we did," said ATF agent John Dodson.

The story painted by the three agents made clear that this gun sales operation began in the Bush Administration and then continued in the Obama Administration, until these whistleblowers began telling their story outside of the Justice Department.

ATF agent Olindo James Casa detailed how he had raised concerns in late 2009 about the undercover gun sales, but was rebuked by superiors, who then sent out what is known as the "Schism" email.

"In essence, the e-mail was a direct threat to the Special Agents who were not in agreement" with the operation to keep their mouths shut, Casa told the House Oversight Committee.

After the agents testified, lawmakers got their chance to blast a Justice Department official over the Obama Administration's reluctance to turn over documents about the matter.

"Who authorized this program in Washington, D.C.?" asked Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA), his voice rising as he demonstrated his frustration by waving around fully-blacked out documents turned over by the Justice Department.

"We've had to subpeona again and again," said a visibly frustrated Issa.

oyarde
06-16-2011, 10:40 AM
abolish the atf

thehighwaymanq
06-16-2011, 11:02 AM
This is just incredible.

What a government we have!