PDA

View Full Version : TX Sen. Expresses Outrage Over Spanish-Language Testimony Against Sanctuary Cities Bill

Zatch
06-15-2011, 02:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNKWISYPdZ4

A man who has been a citizen for 23 years gives Spanish-language testimony w/ a translator against the Texas sanctuary cities bill. Senator interrupts to express outrage.

Noob
06-15-2011, 02:43 PM
HB 41 has passed unanimously out of the Criminal Jurisprudence Committee.

http://rowletttexasteaparty.com/?p=390

thasre
06-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Typically I would side with the person speaking his or her native language. However, it's perfectly clear that he has no difficulties expressing himself in English and he isn't saying anything so profoundly beautiful in Spanish that his meaning could be lost or distorted by speaking in English..... so it does come across as deliberately insulting to the Senators and disrespectful of American culture to insist on Spanish, since he has no cause to do so.

In fact, it gives the impression that he is knowingly speaking "past" the Senators in order to stir up opposition to the bill outside the chamber he's addressing. If he wants to go out and campaign to the masses and address them in Spanish, more power to him. But if he wants to provide testimony to the Texas Senate, he should address them in the 'idioma' they use to conduct their own affairs.

LibertyEagle
06-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Typically I would side with the person speaking his or her native language. However, it's perfectly clear that he has no difficulties expressing himself in English and he isn't saying anything so profoundly beautiful in Spanish that his meaning could be lost or distorted by speaking in English..... so it does come across as deliberately insulting to the Senators and disrespectful of American culture to insist on Spanish, since he has no cause to do so.

In fact, it gives the impression that he is knowingly speaking "past" the Senators in order to stir up opposition to the bill outside the chamber he's addressing. If he wants to go out and campaign to the masses and address them in Spanish, more power to him. But if he wants to provide testimony to the Texas Senate, he should address them in the 'idioma' they use to conduct their own affairs.

Good for the Senator. I am sick of this shit. This isn't Mexico, damn it.

AZKing
06-15-2011, 03:48 PM
This isn't Mexico, damn it.

Used to be ._.

I'm used to it; always been living in a town close to the border. Best thing you can do is learn Spanish -- more job opportunities that way too. I figure I'm the winner in the whole ordeal because you can always find a job if you know Spanish and English.