PDA

View Full Version : Is character important?

Freedom 4 all
06-15-2011, 01:25 PM
This is largely a moot point as Ron Paul happens to be a man of exceptional moral character, but just out of curiosity, how important is a the character of a candidate compared to the issues to you? I love to laugh at the hypocrite Gingrich, but the fact of the matter is, even if he was a boy scout, he's still a complete tool on the issues and I would still oppose him. I guess my question is would you support a candidate of highly questionable personal character if he was a strict constitutionalist and defender of liberty with a good voting record?

BamaAla
06-15-2011, 01:35 PM
This is largely a moot point as Ron Paul happens to be a man of exceptional moral character, but just out of curiosity, how important is a the character of a candidate compared to the issues to you? I love to laugh at the hypocrite Gingrich, but the fact of the matter is, even if he was a boy scout, he's still a complete tool on the issues and I would still oppose him. I guess my question is would you support a candidate of highly questionable personal character if he was a strict constitutionalist and defender of liberty with a good voting record?

Its important to me, but it isn't the factor. I do take it into account, but I can't really elaborate how. For example: I think Jimmy Carter is a damn good man, but I would probably support Mark Sanford over him in a presidential race; meanwhile, I would be more likely to be friends with Jimmy because of those character issues.

ETA: fortunately with Ron Paul, we have both!

TheBlackPeterSchiff
06-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Character is the most important IMO.

fisharmor
06-15-2011, 01:51 PM
As society currently defines "character", no, I could care less. It doesn't make a bit of difference to me what a man smokes or who's greasing his pole, as long as it's all voluntary.

But now that you bring it up, I absolutely consider these to be marks of a bad character:
-supporting a financial system which loots the public
-turning a blind eye to the loss of property right
-taking money and/or property from individuals involuntarily and without just compensation
-supporting the further establishment of the police state
-encouraging the public's recognition of the official state religion (i.e. the military)
-support of the state's mandated youth indoctrination program
-callous indifference to the murder of brown people on the other side of the globe with the misfortune of getting in the way of the USA's imperial ambitions

Pericles
06-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Character is an indication of trustworthiness. Is it important to be able to trust those elected to office? While the electorate is ultimately responsible for oversight - given the scale and scope of current governments, temptations are great, and the better the moral character, the less likely to give in to temptation.