PDA

View Full Version : 'America, This is Just Too Much'

dannno
06-15-2011, 12:44 PM
KFC will donate $1 to The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) if you buy a "Mega Jug" of diabetes causing high fructose corn syrup.

http://fastcache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2011/06/megajugpepsi.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/5812175/america-this-is-just-too-much

heavenlyboy34
06-15-2011, 12:49 PM
lolz @ irony :)

belian78
06-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Do I laugh, do I cry, do I kick the cat...

Just more ammo for when I start my stand up comedy I guess.

buck000
06-15-2011, 01:01 PM
"Help us find a cure"

Here's a thought: don't buy the mega-jug...

sheesh.

squarepusher
06-15-2011, 01:10 PM
well, juvenile

keh10
06-15-2011, 01:12 PM
"Help us find a cure"

Here's a thought: don't buy the mega-jug...

sheesh.

But why take measures to prevent diabetes when we can simply let KFC donate money to the pharmaceutical research companies to find a cure for us. :rolleyes:

emazur
06-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Isn't the 'too much sugar/corn syrup gives you diabetes' stance just a myth? From what I read you'll have to fatten yourself up pretty good. Sweets can help with that, but if you stay a healthy weight I don't see the problem
http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-myths/

Myth: Eating too much sugar causes diabetes.

Fact: No, it does not. Type 1 diabetes is caused by genetics and unknown factors that trigger the onset of the disease; type 2 diabetes is caused by genetics and lifestyle factors. Being overweight does increase your risk for developing type 2 diabetes, and a diet high in calories, whether from sugar or from fat, can contribute to weight gain. If you have a history of diabetes in your family, eating a healthy meal plan and regular exercise are recommended to manage your weight.

Cutlerzzz
06-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Someone gets a product they want, KFC sells a product they want to sell, and a charity gets money. Sounds good to me.

pacelli
06-15-2011, 01:59 PM
That's absolutely hilarious.

Buy a pack of cigarettes and we'll donate a dollar to the national cancer foundation.

Maximus
06-15-2011, 02:04 PM
They did the same thing with a bucket of chicken a breast cancer some months ago. Gotta love it.

dannno
06-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Isn't the 'too much sugar/corn syrup gives you diabetes' stance just a myth? From what I read you'll have to fatten yourself up pretty good. Sweets can help with that, but if you stay a healthy weight I don't see the problem

For how come you say sugar doesn't cause diabetes then post something that says sugar does cause diabetes :confused:

Acala
06-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Sugar and other carbs cause an insulin spike in your body. When this happens chronically, it begins a chain of metabolic evil including progressive insulin resistance culminating in diabetes.

emazur
06-15-2011, 02:57 PM
For how come you say sugar doesn't cause diabetes then post something that says sugar does cause diabetes :confused:

B/c it doesn't say sugar causes diabetes. It says being overweight can contribute to diabetes. The cause of being overweight can be sugar, but doesn't have to be.

You can eat lots of sugar (as I do) and still maintain a healthy weight through exercise.

amy31416
06-15-2011, 03:12 PM
B/c it doesn't say sugar causes diabetes. It says being overweight can contribute to diabetes. The cause of being overweight can be sugar, but doesn't have to be.

You can eat lots of sugar (as I do) and still maintain a healthy weight through exercise.

Thin people can develop diabetes.

dannno
06-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Does anybody else get the odd feeling that Glenn Beck wrote the title to the article?

MelissaWV
06-15-2011, 05:25 PM

Yeah but I don't think the soda on its own is the culprit there. Of course, the fatty ridiculous chicken, the overprocessed sides, and the degree of laziness it takes to get your food in mega containers and buckets, might have a lot more to do with it.

Your skinny genes won't help you enough to overcome that kind of habit.

amy31416
06-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Yeah but I don't think the soda on its own is the culprit there. Of course, the fatty ridiculous chicken, the overprocessed sides, and the degree of laziness it takes to get your food in mega containers and buckets, might have a lot more to do with it.

Your skinny genes won't help you enough to overcome that kind of habit.

Nope. When I briefly had gestational diabetes, there was a thin Indian woman in a class I took on it. She rarely ate much fast food...so I have a hunch there might be something else going on too, although many vegetarians ingest lots of carbs & fats too. Often more than meat eaters if they aren't careful.

Bodhi
06-15-2011, 05:52 PM
That is just so absurd that you want it to be a joke, sadly it is not.

emazur
06-15-2011, 08:05 PM

the link i posted said type 1 diabetes is due to genetics so you're right, but it said type 2 is influenced by being overweight, be it from sugar or fat.

amy31416
06-15-2011, 08:09 PM
the link i posted said type 1 diabetes is due to genetics so you're right, but it said type 2 is influenced by being overweight, be it from sugar or fat.

Let me clarify: Thin people can develop type 2 diabetes. Do you need me to google it for you?

Golding
06-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Nope. When I briefly had gestational diabetes, there was a thin Indian woman in a class I took on it. She rarely ate much fast food...so I have a hunch there might be something else going on too, although many vegetarians ingest lots of carbs & fats too. Often more than meat eaters if they aren't careful.Gestational diabetes is rather different than Diabetes. While many of the risk factors are the same, and people with Gestational Diabetes are considered more likely to one day become Diabetic, they are not the same disease.

What is considered the most significant risk factor for Diabetes Type 2 (which is highlighted by decreased response to insulin) is "central adiposity". Fat tissue around the core of the body. Generally, we see a large density of central adiposity in completely overweight people. That, coupled with the layman understanding that Diabetes is a disease involving sugar, led to the dogma that sugary foods and drinks lead to Diabetes. In part it's true because those that consume jumbo sizes of soda probably don't have a very healthy diet in general, but it's a more indirect relationship than most people believe.

Indeed, the Indian woman you saw in your class was exceptional to the idea that Type 2 Diabetics are obese. The likelihood is that she has thick deposits of adipose around the core, whether it shows from the outside or not.

As mentioned, Diabetes Type 1 has little to do with jumbo sized sodas. It's more of an autoimmune process leading to decreased insulin production from the pancreas. More often than not, these types of diabetics are quite thin. But like the idea that Type 2 Diabetics are obese, it's not universally so.

Chester Copperpot
06-15-2011, 10:57 PM

I disagree wholeheartedly with that analysis.... Saying ones weight is the cause of diabetes is like saying a skid mark is the cause of a car accident...

For Type II diabetes its all about diet and exercise. Anybody with Type 2 can reverse it in a relatively short time. Anybody that tells you otherwise is trying to sell you something IMO

notsure
06-15-2011, 11:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NstQnUkU0dw

Brought to you by Carls Jr.

AGRP
06-15-2011, 11:56 PM
To find a cure, there must be funds and demand. Maybe they're onto something.

acptulsa
06-15-2011, 11:58 PM
Just a Monsanto plot to scare people into trying Diet Pepsi (yuk).

PaulConventionWV
06-16-2011, 12:04 AM
Someone gets a product they want, KFC sells a product they want to sell, and a charity gets money. Sounds good to me.

Charity, huh? Is that what you think pharmaceutical research is doing?

headhawg7
06-16-2011, 02:18 AM
I was going to bring this up the other day but got sidetracked. Have you guys noticed that since the price of corn has skyrocketed that many food corps have reverted back to using sugar? Notice it in ketchup and soft drinks and whats really funny is that they are slapping labels all over their products claiming "Not made with high fructose corn syrup" like they are just now realizing that this stuff is bad for you. It took the price of corn rising before they realized that its not healthy. Just thought it was kinda funny.

amy31416
06-16-2011, 03:29 AM
Gestational diabetes is rather different than Diabetes. While many of the risk factors are the same, and people with Gestational Diabetes are considered more likely to one day become Diabetic, they are not the same disease.

What is considered the most significant risk factor for Diabetes Type 2 (which is highlighted by decreased response to insulin) is "central adiposity". Fat tissue around the core of the body. Generally, we see a large density of central adiposity in completely overweight people. That, coupled with the layman understanding that Diabetes is a disease involving sugar, led to the dogma that sugary foods and drinks lead to Diabetes. In part it's true because those that consume jumbo sizes of soda probably don't have a very healthy diet in general, but it's a more indirect relationship than most people believe.

Indeed, the Indian woman you saw in your class was exceptional to the idea that Type 2 Diabetics are obese. The likelihood is that she has thick deposits of adipose around the core, whether it shows from the outside or not.

As mentioned, Diabetes Type 1 has little to do with jumbo sized sodas. It's more of an autoimmune process leading to decreased insulin production from the pancreas. More often than not, these types of diabetics are quite thin. But like the idea that Type 2 Diabetics are obese, it's not universally so.

She had straight-up type 2 diabetes, she wasn't pregnant. But yeah, like many Indian women, she didn't have a very curvy shape, she was (for a thin woman) thick in the waist. And, from what I understand, diabetes is becoming a pretty big problem in India.

amy31416
06-16-2011, 03:30 AM
Gestational diabetes is rather different than Diabetes. While many of the risk factors are the same, and people with Gestational Diabetes are considered more likely to one day become Diabetic, they are not the same disease.

She had straight-up type 2 diabetes, she wasn't pregnant. But yeah, like many Indian women, she didn't have a very curvy shape, she was (for a thin woman) thick in the waist. And, from what I understand, diabetes is becoming a pretty big problem in India.

acptulsa
06-16-2011, 04:45 AM
...slapping labels all over their products claiming "Not made with high fructose corn syrup" like they are just now realizing that this stuff is bad for you. It took the price of corn rising before they realized that its not healthy. Just thought it was kinda funny.

Yeah, it's kind of funny. But not quite as simple as you let on. Smaller makers from Tulsa's tiny Weber's Root Beer to Seattles fast-growing Jones brand have been eroding market share away from them for some time. That's why Pepsi introduced the Throwback products back before corn went up. All the rising corn prices have done is remove the incentive to make an inferior product.

You just can't completely kill the free market no matter how hard you try.

pcosmar
06-16-2011, 06:47 AM
if you buy a "Mega Jug" of diabetes causing high fructose corn syrup.

Sorry but NO.

Myth: Eating too much sugar causes diabetes.

Fact: No, it does not. Type 1 diabetes is caused by genetics and unknown factors that trigger the onset of the disease; type 2 diabetes is caused by genetics and lifestyle factors. Being overweight does increase your risk for developing type 2 diabetes, and a diet high in calories, whether from sugar or from fat, can contribute to weight gain. If you have a history of diabetes in your family, eating a healthy meal plan and regular exercise are recommended to manage your weight.

Sugar in any form Does NOT Cause Diabetes. Regardless of the form of sugar, and regardless of how much is consumed.

Please stop spreading this stupid shit just because you dislike some forms of sugar.

It has to do with Insulin. (or lack thereof)