PDA

View Full Version : Cannabis Prohibition

Esor
10-30-2007, 03:10 AM
I recently read an article by the "Real Women of Canada." It focused on the movement to decriminalize marijuana in Canada and highly condemned the thought of such an act. I wrote about it in my blog http://postapathy.blogspot.com/ and hope to get your thoughts and discussion about it. Besides the obvious libertarian view of "freedom to do as one pleases as long as it brings no direct harm upon someone else," where do you stand? Where did you stand before finding Ron Paul?
I've always been a marijuana reform advocate. Call me a pot-head, but I think this is a huge step to overcome in the direction of civil rights.

jones boy
10-30-2007, 04:46 AM
Esor
Thanks for the link. I voted for Ed Clark in 1980 because of the self ownership issues and the injustices I have seen against people for simple possession. Did not read the entire article as I've heard most of it before. The last estimate that I seen is that there are 20 to 25 million cannabis users in the US. I guess the actual number depends on who you talk to. The government has done an effective job of demonizing cannabis users. Most people think of the loser stoner, portrayed in countless movies. Most people who support ending the war on drugs do so from a political viewpoint, (self ownership)as oppoposed to being a user concerned with legalization. Massive support from this sub-culture would help his campaign. Other people have raised the question of blowback on this issue, although if I'm not mistaken, a slim majority of the American Public favor it's decrimalization. It is a tricky situation to court this particaular vote while avoiding the blowback from other potential supporters.