PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I'll do it. I'll be Ron Paul's debate coach

AJ Antimony
06-15-2011, 03:08 AM
Let me first say that I really enjoyed Ron's answers and I thought he did pretty darn good.

What annoys me, especially after watching some MSM "analysis," is that there is no freaking reason Ron can't make some minor changes which could turn his answers from 'pretty darn good' to 'mind-blowingly good.'

Looking over the many MSM responses to the debate, it seems the following can be concluded regarding the MSM and typical voters:

1. The MSM wanted to see some blood. They didn't want to see all the candidates getting along. For example, many were oh so disappointed that Pawlenty didn't attack Romney over Romneycare.

2. Nobody significantly stood out. I love how ironic this is. Everyone sounded like Ron Paul! They all talked about stuff like low taxes and low spending, no Obamacare, and no troops in Libya. Wow.

3. Nobody mentioned the Tea Party. In other words, could a political novice watching the debate tell which of the 7 candidates represents the Tea Party? In my opinion, I don't think so.

4. People like clarity. Ron Paul stood out in one way, he spoke too fast and jumbled words.

5. Ron Paul still isn't seen as a serious candidate.

6. Ron Paul comes off "negatively" to too many people. In other words, you get the feeling that a significant number of voters, rather than saying "oh wow look at Ron Paul, so grandfatherly, wise, and endearing," say "oh great here's crazy uncle Ron Paul about to rant about something"

7. Everyone is attacking Obama rather than proposing solutions.

8. Nobody talked about the Constitution.

With these conclusions, I would coach Dr. Paul to do the following:

1. Attack.
The media wants to see some action and not get bored to death. Obviously you'd want to attack appropriately, so if you're asked a question about Obamacare, make sure to mention Romneycare signed by Mandate Mitt. Make it clear Romney signed a smaller version of Obamacare. Make it clear he supported the individual mandate as governor of Massachusetts. Also, when appropriate talk about Cap and Tim Pawlenty. These are the media-picked GOP candidates so attack their liberal records. This doesn't have to be in-depth and harsh. Just as Ron Paul clarified "I'm the commander and chief..." he could say something like "I didn't sign a health mandate as governor..." So, you don't need an entire response to attack. A strong one-liner at the end of the response will suffice.

2. If all the candidates are moving more in your direction, then you don't stand out as much anymore. Viewers didn't see 6 fiscal moderates and 1 fiscal conservative. They saw 7 fiscal conservatives. The similarity of the candidates can be seen especially regarding Bachmann. To someone who doesn't know the candidates, how is Ron Paul any different than Bachmann? The Federal Res..omething? If everyone on the stage is a perceived fiscal conservative, the only good card in your hand is proof that you actually have the record to SHOW that you are a fiscal conservative. In a debate, where you get 30 seconds to answer, spend less time on how bubbles are formed and more time on your incredible record. Your record is completely useless if you don't tell voters about it. Candidates like Bachmann and Romney would sell their souls for your fiscal record. Rub it in their faces.

3. Talk about the Tea Party. Was I the only one who didn't really hear any mention or praise of the Tea Party in the debate? This goes along with the last point. If no other candidate is coming out and adamantly claiming to be THE Tea Party candidate, and knowing that the Tea Party clearly wins elections, then I'd mention my strong relationship with the Tea Party if I were Ron Paul. I'd rub it in that I helped create the successful voting block that was able to make a certain son go from eye surgeon to US Senator. Also, along the last point, Ron Paul can claim some credit as a Tea Party founder. If you had Tea Party rallies in 2007, before they were popular, then let the voters know! Again, Romney would LOVE to be a father, godfather, or whatever of the Tea Party. The biggest Tea Party challenge will be with Bachmann, who somehow thinks she is the Tea Party God. Explain how she created her Tea Party Caucus AFTER the Tea Parties became cool and that you Tea Partied YEARS BEFORE they were cool. Bachmann isn't the Tea Party candidate. You are. Act like it!

4. Speak like a presidential candidate. Can anyone name the last US President who simply talked like Ron Paul in a debate? Not me. Obama, W, Clinton, HW, Reagan... all of them talked slower and clearer than Ron Paul. People like 'great communicators,' so there is NO reason Dr. Paul can't work on his delivery. ESPECIALLY since this doesn't require compromising on the issues at all. Practice. Practice. Practice. Prepare a go-to answer for any topic. Don't feel forced to explain the entire Austrian theory in 30 seconds. Save the long answers for when you have 1-2 minutes to answer. For 30 second responses, have ready short and sweet answers. This is just so ridiculous to ignore, and for a number of reasons. When you talk fast and jumble words you come off as NOT SERIOUS because you couldn't take the time to be clear to voters. Voters know these debates are critical to winning the nomination so you bet they're going to be turned off if you appear to suggest that the debates aren't worth your time to prepare. Another way to see the importance of this point: No other candidate misspoke like Dr. Paul. There's a good reason for that. I'm not suggesting Dr. Paul needs to take off 3 weeks to prepare for each debate. Hell, I think he doesn't need more than 15 minutes to prepare for a debate. All I'm really suggesting is to be logical. Is talking fast and jumbling words a good thing? No? Then work on it before the debate.

5. Show that you are a serious candidate. Step 1: Find out WHY people don't view you as a serious candidate in the first place. Do they not know you're doing a great job raising money? Do they not know of your big endorsements and campaign staffers? Do they not think you're putting in the time necessary to become President? Make it clear during the debate that you're a real candidate. To do this, just drop in every now and then examples of how you are a real candidate. For example: "...I know I'm on the right side of the issue of health care because a couple weeks ago our campaign was able to raise over $1 mil on a single day attacking the health mandate, specifically the one passed in Massachusetts..." Or: "I think I understand New Hampshire voters better than the other candidates because I've visited voters here in NH more than any other candidate..."

6. This is similar to #4. Start with the facts: You are the old guy. You do and will talk about issues people have never heard of or considered. Thus, odds are, you WILL come off to a significant number of people as the cranky old conspiracy guy. Therefore you must shape answers to be as un-cranky as possible. You must take advantage of being the old grandfather. The old grandfather is supposed to be wise, experienced, confident, logical, and VERY moral. You need to make the other candidates wish they were you. This means no fast talking, no word jumbling, and no ranting about a topic (for example the Fed) for every economy question. Some examples of how to appear as the kick ass grandfather: "... I have X grandchildren and X great-grandchildren. I'm so concerned about our debt... there is no way I can let this debt ruin their lives. For my family, I cannot fail. For all our families, I cannot fail. We need to get our fiscal house in order immediately!" Also, stories are always good. Maybe you have an example where you can say "I was gardening with some of my grandkids the other day, and the youngest asked me 'Grandpa, why is the debt so important?'" Let me be clear, I'm NOT saying to make stuff up. I'm just saying these are examples of how to take advantage of the grandfather image.

7. Make some simple yet powerful policy proposals. The other candidates did not have ANY policy ideas. All they said was that Obama sucks and to cut taxes and spending. Think up of some thought provoking ideas and suggest them. Think about the 'suspend the income tax for 3 years' and 'nothing but a 10% income tax for no benefits' ideas except better. You don't need to sit down and propose your own budget, but when the other candidates offer no specific ideas, you MUST show the audience that you have conservative and constitutional ideas. Get people thinking. Another example: a constitutional amendment that says for every year there is a budget deficit, Congress, the President, and their staffs don't get paid.

8. "Constitution" is the Tea Party key word. It was RARELY used during the debate, even by Dr. Paul. Try to incorporate it into every answer. If you say it enough, people might associate you as 'the constitution guy.' In 2012, I think that might be a good thing. Dr. Paul had the chance regarding Libya to say how unconstitutional it is. He didn't. Every candidate said, using Mr. Mackey's voice from South Park, "Don't support Obamacare. Obamacare's bad. Don't support the mandate. The mandate's bad." Nobody came out and explained WHY it's bad, especially constitutionally. Incorporate the Constitution in your answers and you'll be golden.

So to summarize what I'd coach Dr. Paul to do for future debates:
-Attack
-Stand out
-Be the Tea Party candidate
-Speak calmer, slower, and clearer
-Make it clear to doubters that you are a dead serious candidate
-Do your best at being the wise grandfather
-Propose your own thought-provoking solutions
-Indicate in your responses that you are the champion of the Constitution.

Do these things and you can win hearts and voters without compromising on your issues and principles at all.

Let me clarify the assumptions I'm working with here to hopefully prevent some angry responses:
-Ron Paul wants to win.
-Ron Paul's debate responses now need to cater to typical GOP voters and not his hardcore supporters.
-Again, as a Ron Paul supporter, I thought he did great. But non-supporters, the people he needs to win, may have thought otherwise.
-The MSM highly influences typical voters and thus Dr. Paul needs to work on impressing the MSM.
-Ron Paul is capable of impressing the MSM without changing his message
-These minor coaching suggestions can actually work and win votes.
-I know Ron Paul won't do some of these suggestions, and that's fine. There are some very good arguments in favor of an educational campaign over a competitive campaign. The purpose of this post isn't to dis Ron Paul. The purpose of this post is simply to point out some minor changes that I think can do wonderful things all without compromising on any issues or principles.

Thoughts?

AceNZ
06-15-2011, 03:20 AM
Nice work. Well thought out.

I would add: use emotion in addition to reason. Many voters respond at a gut level, so develop and refine a simple message, focused on principals.

emazur
06-15-2011, 03:47 AM
Seems like a good analysis. What I think would be a good strategy would be if Ron Paul combined #1 (attack) and #2 (tout his record). Example:

"I'm the only candidate standing here that predicted the financial crisis and have repeatedly been the lone candidate that introduced legislation to abolish the Federal Reserve, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. The Federal Reserve fueled the housing bubble by providing artificially low interest rates too low for too long, and the the GSEs bought up the mortgages from banks which meant that banks had no incentive to verify home buyers' ability to pay. The market should determine what the interest rate should be, and the market, not government, should determine individuals' credit worthiness."

This accomplishes the following:
1) Ron Paul can attack everyone without sounding like a personal attack, which isn't his style
2) Gives Paul a chance to advertise his positions
3) centers the ENTIRE DEBATE around Ron Paul. Paul makes a statement, moderator issues the challenge to the others to defend against Paul's "attack". Pundits have the opportunity to discuss whether Paul's claims are true (more exposure).
4) It's a tactic Paul can repeatedly use - think of all the "I'm the only candidate standing here who..." scenarios he can use (feel free to post them if you like!).

MelissaWV
06-15-2011, 04:52 AM
If you believe no one talked about the Constitution, you might have missed some of the debate.

thedude
06-15-2011, 04:56 AM
Your entire argument is summed up in one correction...

5. Ron Paul still isn't seen as a serious candidate.

1. Ron Paul is seen as a threat

Welcome to 2007/2008...

The rest is invalid, I suggest watching the debate again.

What the MSM reported... your list.

What actually happened:

1. Plenty of digs were taken on fellow candidates
2. The anointed ones didn't do anything significant
3. The tea party was mentioned, but remember Paul isn't tea party as the MSM knows the tea party
4. Paul jumbled one answer
5. See my above summation
6. Paul uses big words people refuse to understand, and we're failing to help them
7. Somebody here demonized Paul for not taking pot-shots at Obama, so we can't have it both ways
8. See MelissaWV's post above

-Attack -this is just stupid, nobody likes it when those attack ads are spread around. it just makes for good ratings, which they get whenever Paul is mentioned because we're always there.

-Stand out -The good doctor was actually mentioned by other candidates and given credit for having good ideas they agreed with. When the field gets smaller, and we keep Paul in the race with our donations, the guy that sounded like everybody else stands out as a representative of the field.

-Be the Tea Party candidate -No. Ron Paul is not the tea party candidate. The tea party was hijacked by Palin and Bachman, who toss around the constitution because people like to hear it. I want Ron Paul to be the freedom candidate, the restore our liberties candidate, the free market candidate, etc.

-Speak calmer, slower, and clearer -Your suggestion lacks originality. Everybody has suggested this at least twice... The horse has beaten so much it may just rise from the dead to kick back.

-Make it clear to doubters that you are a dead serious candidate - The MSM will never give him the respect he deserves, so turn off your TV. Everybody else knows he is a serious candidate.

-Do your best at being the wise grandfather -He is. But you demonize him for being educated because the average person doesn't understand what he is talking about. Some want him to dumb down, you want him to wise-up. There is a reason our elders are considered as such, and it has nothing to do with age.

-Propose your own thought-provoking solutions -Ron Paul is the champion and first assailant of the Federal Reserve, everything he says is HIS own thought-provoking solution... hence why we're all here. We heard something he once said and were provoked to think for ourselves.

-Indicate in your responses that you are the champion of the Constitution. -What? Like in the debate in 2008 when he said just this? Then you would be proclaiming he wasn't being original. If Ron Paul still needs to proclaim this in the debate, on top of saying it everywhere else and being referred to it by everybody else, then there is no pleasing you.

Thank god you're not the coach... Ron Paul would come out sounding like a creepy faux pawlenty/bachman/palin mixed creature. No thanks.

speciallyblend
06-15-2011, 05:49 AM
no need to your fired, ron paul is doing fine . it is the gop that is electing obama!!

pcosmar
06-15-2011, 06:08 AM
Thoughts?

Yes, I have thoughts.
:(
Get to know Ron Paul.
Understand the Media (propaganda)

Ron changed the focus of the Debates in the first debate.
He changed it to Principles, and no one can touch him there.

acptulsa
06-15-2011, 07:01 AM
That's an incredibly kind offer, but if the man won't use the excellent sound bites we've contributed through this forum over the years, I don't know why he'd pay you to say things he won't listen to.

1. People are sick of mudslinging. For example, Romney's 'not the old guys' snark, if properly exploited (and I think we'll exploit it as much as possible) is going to cost him very dearly. The only attacks our gentleman statesman needs to be making will all fit this form: 'I was saying [that] when you were still in favor of [the opposite].

2. You're right and wrong all at once. Yes, his record will help him stand out as they try to usurp his positions. But only if people understand why it's so good. If they don't understand that inflation means their money is shrinking like wool in a hot dryer, they can review his record all day and get nothing out of it.

3. The Tea Party os overexposed, hijacked, maligned and misunderstood. The American unfamiliarity with history means it's no more likely to be associated with Boston Harbor than the Mad Hatter. I think he's better off showing why he inspired the movement than spending precious debate time trying to defend it--which is what he'd have to do.

4. Agreed. But fifteen minutes or three weeks won't help if he doesn't have someone around him who can make him laugh. What I mean by this is he needs to spend his prep time with someone good at spin. We loved his 'I'm the C in C' line, but most loved him saying that naming something good Obama did for the economy was a difficult question. If he would only add someone to his staff solely for the purpose of interjecting succinct and humorous summaries of issues into his conversations, he'll remember the best ones in the heat of the moment. That and a tailor will make all the difference in the world.

5. At this point the only people--the only people--who don't take him seriously are the ones who get all their information from 'traditional' sources. In other words, the ones with blinders on. These people don't need to hear what hoops he has jumped through. These people need to learn that just because the media says he's not in the horse race doesn't mean he's not in the horse race. Thanks to the 'net and us, he's now the official 'ringer' in the horse race, and old folks do have enough sense to vote on a 'ringer'--if they can just be made to believe the 'inside information' that he is indeed a contender.

6. Meh. Two or three '...my beloved wife of fifty-four years, Carol...' references is worth sixteen dozen forced, awkward and convoluted references to grandchildren.

7. Yes, but much of what he wants to do is repeal, not legislate. The trick is to make this non-action, ar anti-action, sound proactive. Concrete examples of how the federal government stands in the way of enterprise, or tilts the field in favor of the fat, inefficient corporations, are just the ticket, imo. Again, having the right person around him to drop these things into his conversations may be the best way to help him remember them when the time comes. Many people dismiss campaign factory visits as meaningless photo ops, but Ron Paul is a good listener, and should spend more time talking to small business owners and manufacturing managers. This would be a source of valuable anecdotes he can use to illustrate his points about overregulation and make his 'get the government out of the way' stance seem extremely proactive.

8. Being 'The Constitution Guy' is worthless unless and until people understand why that's good. He has answered a great many questions with, 'I wouldn't do that because there's no authority in the Constitution for a president to do it,' and 'I would do that because the Constitution says to.' But he needs to insert the idea that our problem is we have a class of people in positions of power and influence who think--like Nixon--that they're above the law. Well, Nixon found out different and it's time all of them found out different. Again, he needs to get more concrete. 'The Constitution should prevent this by _________ but some people think the Constitution doesn't apply to them.' People will vote for the candidate who can make their lives better. Obviously, both he and we need to redouble our efforts to explain why this is the case.

If I had a magic wand, I'd wave it and give him a movie star delivery, a folksy tilt of the head and a pompous brown pompadour and turn him into Reagan--at least in looks and manner. But I don't have one of those. Fortunately, he doesn't need all of that. He just needs to hang with a humorous spinmeister, pick up some sound bites, and really set his mind to telling people how his principles can make their lives better in practice. That's all.

Wish I could go on a bike ride with him every morning...

cheapseats
06-15-2011, 08:30 AM
...ron paul is doing fine...

Do Ron Paul supporters on Ron Paul Forums generally agree that Ron Paul is doing "fine"?

speciallyblend
06-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Do Ron Paul supporters on Ron Paul Forums generally agree that Ron Paul is doing "fine"?

when you apply it to the problem , the corrupt gop , yes he is doing fine! it amazes me that you and others want to attack the messenger and not the problem, the gop! that is exactly how it sounds to me.

cheapseats
06-15-2011, 08:43 AM
...ron paul is doing fine...

when you apply it to the problem , the corrupt gop , yes he is doing fine! it amazes me that you and others want to attack the messenger and not the problem, the gop! that is exactly how it sounds to me.

Insofar as YOU are the one who asserted the "fineness" of his performance to date, you are hardly objective as the affirming chorus.

"When you apply it to the problem, the corrupt GOP, yes he is doing fine!" What does that even MEAN?

That he is REFORMING the party? Niet.

That he is DEFYING the party by running Independent or Libertarian? Niet.

That he is CARRYING the party? Niet.

Maybe we should define FINE?

cheapseats
06-15-2011, 08:49 AM

I attack the GOP all the time.

I'M the one who cautioned that, if Ron Paul would stick with scheming, unprincipled Republicans, y'all would end up spending precious time and money trying to clarify for the Voters that you yourselves call stoopid which are the "bad" Republicans and which are the "good" Republicans.

Not to say drawing a distinction between "good" politicians and "bad" politicians wouldn't be valuable EDUCATIONAL SERVICE.

cheapseats
06-15-2011, 08:57 AM
3. The tea party was mentioned, but remember Paul isn't tea party as the MSM knows the tea party

Certainly I never forget that.

Ron Paul isn't the Tea Party as y'all "know" the Tea Party, either. That'd be why each time a Republican contender fizzles, MSM asks: WHO WILL BE THE TEA PARTY CANDIDATE?

cheapseats
06-15-2011, 09:09 AM
1. People are sick of mudslinging. For example, Romney's 'not the old guys' snark, if properly exploited (and I think we'll exploit it as much as possible) is going to cost him very dearly. The only attacks our gentleman statesman needs to be making will all fit this form: 'I was saying [that] when you were still in favor of [the opposite].

You wish. People NEVER tire of mud, or Mainstream Media wouldn't roll the way it rolls. I give you Dickhead Weiner.

Albeit inconsistently, therefore unpredictably, people DO sometimes reject Mudslingers. That's why "The Pros" have OTHERS do their mudslinging for them. Just like they have others do their OTHER killing for them.

acptulsa
06-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Albeit inconsistently, therefore unpredictably, people DO sometimes reject Mudslingers. That's why "The Pros" have OTHERS do their mudslinging for them. Just like they have others do their OTHER killing for them.

That would be our job and our advantage. No one can deny that grass roots have access to plenty of mud.

JS4Pat
06-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Fantastic Analysis/Suggestions AJ. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Jake Ralston
06-15-2011, 09:28 AM
1. Attack.
The media wants to see some action and not get bored to death. Obviously you'd want to attack appropriately, so if you're asked a question about Obamacare, make sure to mention Romneycare signed by Mandate Mitt. Make it clear Romney signed a smaller version of Obamacare. Make it clear he supported the individual mandate as governor of Massachusetts. Also, when appropriate talk about Cap and Tim Pawlenty. These are the media-picked GOP candidates so attack their liberal records. This doesn't have to be in-depth and harsh. Just as Ron Paul clarified "I'm the commander and chief..." he could say something like "I didn't sign a health mandate as governor..." So, you don't need an entire response to attack. A strong one-liner at the end of the response will suffice.

Your right, he needs to attack. Mudsling and political cheapshots are not necessary. However, an intelligent and well timed attack on another candidates position or (even better) voting record could be instrumental in gaining more MSM attention. More publicity. Attacking another candidates voting record also simultaneously allows Ron to mention his own near perfect voting record.

Right now Ron is having a little trouble standing out of the crowd. Of course we know why, it's the blackout. But, if he could attack a little, in essence ... give the MSM some bait, they are sure to take it. As long as the attack is legit, and well timed, they shouldn't be able to put a bad spin on it.

I hope we can see this next debate.

acptulsa
06-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Accuse me of arguing semantics if you like, but what I think I see people saying isn't that he should 'attack', but rather that he should 'contrast'. As in, he should point out the differences between them and himself.

And if they suffer in the comparison, well...?

pcosmar
06-15-2011, 09:35 AM

Can't speak for all. but I do.

He is directing the debate away from issues and back to Principles. Then taking those Principles and applying them to the issues.
Since he is the only one that has any Principles, he is owning them all.

Jake Ralston
06-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Accuse me of arguing semantics if you like, but what I think I see people saying isn't that he should 'attack', but rather that he should 'contrast'. As in, he should point out the differences between them and himself.

And if they suffer in the comparison, well...?

Great point. You just translated what were saying into "politically correct" terms. Semantics aside, he does need to contrast himself with other candidates. Thanks for clearing that up.

libertybrewcity
06-15-2011, 11:24 AM
email this to the campaign

AJ Antimony
06-15-2011, 01:07 PM
Oh my god, I just had a huge reply typed and the browser crashed

My main point: Some of you need to go back and realize my list of conclusions are those of the MSM and typical GOP voters, NOT us.

BUSHLIED
06-15-2011, 01:43 PM

Ron Paul is running a mediocre campaign relative to last time around. In other words, there is improvement but not enough. In terms of the debate performances, Ron is simply not consistent..sometimes he hits a "homerun" and other times he "strikes out." He missing opportunities to distinguish himself from the rest of the field. Bachmann and Cain are the two candidates that do a better job at articulating the "tea-party" message. This should be Ron Paul's time to shine...he is letting others steal the spotlight. The best answer he gave was in response to Romney on Libya. I am the Commander in Chief...that show strength and resolve...and in effect putting down Romney indirectly. That was good.

I think what ever one is talking about can be boiled down to "strategy." Despite talking fast and not finishing his words, the main critique seems to be how can Ron position himself in the debates to demonstrate why he is better than the other candidates, he is going to have to do something different...Bachmann did a good job of this at the debate. She emphasized her credentials in the beginning of her answer. People expect the candidates to blow their own horns...Ron needs to do that more often and concisely.

Ron did this one time in 08 when talked about getting the most donations from the troops...

AJ Antimony
08-01-2011, 11:24 PM
10 days before next debate BUMP

libertybrewcity
08-01-2011, 11:33 PM
people like facts. RP needs to bust out some cold hard emotion-drawing facts.

BUSHLIED
08-02-2011, 01:47 AM
That would be our job and our advantage. No one can deny that grass roots have access to plenty of mud.

While we collectively have access to plenty of mud, the MSM controls who slings the mud and how dirty the mud is...we have knowledge without power...that is the problem. How to give people access to the "mud" to make a difference in their perception of the candidates.

AJ Antimony
08-02-2011, 11:23 AM
people like facts. RP needs to bust out some cold hard emotion-drawing facts.

What do you mean?

Feeding the Abscess
08-02-2011, 11:29 AM
The problem is that the official campaign is portraying Ron freaking Paul as a politician; he's an agitator and revolutionary, and needs to be showcased as such. Many of the press releases and the ad about the debt ceiling could have been released by Bachmann.

Tom Woods should have been brought into the campaign to write press releases. Personally, I can't wait to see what the Revolution PAC cooks up.

angrydragon
08-02-2011, 11:47 AM
I think the criticisms are worth noting. Nothing wrong with getting your message out in a clearer fashion.

Working Poor
08-02-2011, 12:08 PM
I think he needs to have his brow done by a professional

willwash
08-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Practice. Practice. Practice. Prepare a go-to answer for any topic. Don't feel forced to explain the entire Austrian theory in 30 seconds. Save the long answers for when you have 1-2 minutes to answer. For 30 second responses, have ready short and sweet answers. This is just so ridiculous to ignore, and for a number of reasons.

I think you nailed Ron's biggest problem right here. The debate stage is not the place to try to explain the intricacies of Austrian economic theory. He needs to focus his attention in this area, coming up with a few catch phrases and buzzwords that make sense to people, like "printing money out of thin air," "borrowing from China to pay the deficit," and such things.

AGRP
08-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Dumb it down. Dumb it down. Dumb it down. Dumb it down. Dumb it down. Dumb it down. Dumb it down. Dumb it down.

The "I am the commander in chief..." line is the only part that stood out during his last debate for me. Its the only part thats memorable and worth watching during the entire debate. He needs to have 5 moments like that during every debate and cater each line/moment to every major topic. Everything else is frosting.

bolidew
08-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Also he may need to stand a bit more straight on the stage.

virgil47
08-02-2011, 05:16 PM

virgil47
08-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Yes he is doing fine. Losing as usual!

virgil47
08-02-2011, 05:18 PM

virgil47
08-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Ron Paul is the GOP for all intents and purposes. If he truly wants to win and change the direction of the country he "must" speak in a manner that will get him elected! However, if he just wants to pretend to run and in reality just educate the masses then he's doing fine.

AJ Antimony
08-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Ron Paul is the GOP for all intents and purposes. If he truly wants to win and change the direction of the country he "must" speak in a manner that will get him elected! However, if he just wants to pretend to run and in reality just educate the masses then he's doing fine.

The issue of perfecting his delivery doesn't really have anything to do with being competitive or educational. Perfecting his delivery would both make him look more competitive and make him better able to educate people.

Perfecting delivery doesn't have to involve tweaking the message.

KramerDSP
08-02-2011, 06:24 PM
I've been praying that Tom Woods and Jack Hunter have been working with Ron and practicing talking points for the GOP debate. We know the debt ceiling is an issue that will come up, dividing Huntsman from the rest. Ron Paul needs to use the lamborghini/mercedes/honda quote and clearly state he has said this all along while the rest of them are trying to sound like him. If RP comes out sounding like Tom Woods, It's On!!!

PaulConventionWV
08-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Your entire argument is summed up in one correction...

1. Ron Paul is seen as a threat

Welcome to 2007/2008...

The rest is invalid, I suggest watching the debate again.

What the MSM reported... your list.

What actually happened:

1. Plenty of digs were taken on fellow candidates
2. The anointed ones didn't do anything significant
4. Paul jumbled one answer
5. See my above summation
6. Paul uses big words people refuse to understand, and we're failing to help them
7. Somebody here demonized Paul for not taking pot-shots at Obama, so we can't have it both ways
8. See MelissaWV's post above

Thank god you're not the coach... Ron Paul would come out sounding like a creepy faux pawlenty/bachman/palin mixed creature. No thanks.

Right.

When I hear Bachmann speak, I cringe. Then, I realize that some people WANT RON TO SOUND LIKE THAT... then I cringe even harder.

PaulConventionWV
08-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Dumb it down. Dumb it down. Dumb it down. Dumb it down. Dumb it down. Dumb it down. Dumb it down. Dumb it down.

The "I am the commander in chief..." line is the only part that stood out during his last debate for me. Its the only part thats memorable and worth watching during the entire debate. He needs to have 5 moments like that during every debate and cater each line/moment to every major topic. Everything else is frosting.

Wow, I thought people would actually try to avoid calling these modifications "Dumbing it down." Nope, that's absolutely what should happen, we say. Sickening.

Do we really want Ron to start sounding like everyone else? I can't believe this.

virgil47
08-02-2011, 08:01 PM
The issue of perfecting his delivery doesn't really have anything to do with being competitive or educational. Perfecting his delivery would both make him look more competitive and make him better able to educate people.

Perfecting delivery doesn't have to involve tweaking the message.

Actually perfecting his delivery has everything to do with being more competitive. Also using language that the common man can readily understand would dramatically increase his chances of being elected.

AJ Antimony
08-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Actually perfecting his delivery has everything to do with being more competitive. Also using language that the common man can readily understand would dramatically increase his chances of being elected.

I didn't mean to say that perfecting delivery has nothing to do with being competitive. Your post seemed like it was saying delivery perfection can only be useful if one was trying to be competitive and that it wouldn't have an effect on an educational message. I was just trying to say that perfecting delivery can help with both competition and education.

AJ Antimony
08-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Right.

When I hear Bachmann speak, I cringe. Then, I realize that some people WANT RON TO SOUND LIKE THAT... then I cringe even harder.

Sound like what?

Oh, by the way Bachmann is polling higher than Paul. Just thought you should be aware of that.

AGRP
08-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Wow, I thought people would actually try to avoid calling these modifications "Dumbing it down." Nope, that's absolutely what should happen, we say. Sickening.

Do we really want Ron to start sounding like everyone else? I can't believe this.

Do we really want Ron to give a 20 minute detailed speech on Austrian Economics?

Feeding the Abscess
08-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Sound like what?

Oh, by the way Bachmann is polling higher than Paul. Just thought you should be aware of that.

And so did Trump! Perhaps Ron should suggest Obama wasn't born in the country.

Romney is a socialist and is polling higher than Ron. Perhaps Ron should introduce legislation for a single payer health care system.

Huckabee did better than Ron last go-round. Ron should amend the Constitution so that it's in God's standards.

McCain won the nomination in 2008. Ron should immediately call for bombing Iran and increasing troop levels all around the world.

AJ Antimony
08-03-2011, 01:41 AM
And so did Trump! Perhaps Ron should suggest Obama wasn't born in the country.

Romney is a socialist and is polling higher than Ron. Perhaps Ron should introduce legislation for a single payer health care system.

Huckabee did better than Ron last go-round. Ron should amend the Constitution so that it's in God's standards.

McCain won the nomination in 2008. Ron should immediately call for bombing Iran and increasing troop levels all around the world.

Too bad the thread is about delivering the message, not changing it.