PDA

View Full Version : HQ - Paul to compete in Ames!

Dave
06-12-2007, 10:10 AM
National campaign manager Lew Moore was at the Des Moines meetup last night, along with the new Iowa Coordinator Joe Seehusen (misspelled, I'm sure).

Their message is that Ron Paul WILL compete in the Aug. 11 Ames Straw Poll and the goal is to WIN!

It was exciting to hear the commitment. They indicated that plenty of money will be coming to Iowa soon and that we have to focus our efforts on spreading the word and finding Iowans to commit to going to Ames. They know we are behind the others and don't have as much money as some but we have the most important thing - something they don't have - passionate energy.

Ames is now ground zero. WE ONLY HAVE 60 DAYS. Other campaigns have been preparing for this event for months.

What can you do to help?

Please send donations to the campaign so they can direct funds toward this effort.
Please join a Meetup. Even if you can't attend all the meetings you will be in the loop with emails and message boards. The Meetup leaders ARE in contact with HQ so they are the best source of information and will be coordinating the efforts.
Come to Iowa. Get here if you can and just start hitting the streets – posting signs, passing out information, and knocking on doors.
Keep spreading information about Ron Paul in every way you can imagine - commit to do this AT LEAST one hour offline for every hour you spend online.I will continue posting updates in the 'News from Iowa' thread.

kylejack
06-12-2007, 10:13 AM
Frontrunners are skipping it, so its somewhat de-legitimized.

specsaregood
06-12-2007, 10:27 AM

Yes, the "Frontrunners" don't care what middle-america thinks or supports. This is an excellent opportunity for RP, news of this all-out support by the campaign is great.

Bison
06-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Yes, it will just go to show that Ron cares about the average American and the so called "top tier" does not. This can and should be exploited by the campaign.

AlexAmore
06-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Yes, it will just go to show that Ron cares about the average American and the so called "top tier" does not. This can and should be exploited by the campaign.

That's what I always thought too.

JoshLowry
06-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Yes, the "Frontrunners" don't care what middle-america thinks or supports. This is an excellent opportunity for RP, news of this all-out support by the campaign is great.

Well said. This is a very important state.

I might actually be able to make it from Houston. :)

G-khan
06-12-2007, 10:35 AM
If they thought they would win or benefit by being there they would. They most likely know Dr. Paul is going to be the winner and they can claim it was because they were not in it. They are out of it for good reason!

winston_blade
06-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Is it just me, or is it stupid for any candidate to skip an important state like Iowa?

kylejack
06-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Is it just me, or is it stupid for any candidate to skip an important state like Iowa?

Its just the straw poll. Technically it doesn't actually mean anything.

winston_blade
06-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Its just the straw poll. Technically it doesn't actually mean anything.

All the media attention one would get if they win in the straw poll does mean something though. Plus, Iowans won't vote for you if you don't even bother to participate.

Bradley in DC
06-12-2007, 11:23 AM

Whatever non-Iowans think, those not making a commitment to them are dissing them. Dr. Paul has a great opportunity to win some great goodwill here that should translate to caucus support.

MsDoodahs
06-12-2007, 12:11 PM
Perhaps this is a sign of things to come re: population shifts/demographics?

Here's that Barone piece on demographics and how that may alter the political landscape in the future...

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110010045

lucky
06-12-2007, 12:24 PM
Deligitiized my ass. If Ron Paul would have skipped Iowa I may have left him. Iowa is middle America and for any of the other candidates to have skipped it is a huge slap in the face. I don't want RP to just be on the ballot there but I want him to win.

I am with Josh also. I am from Houston and go through the area often and even have a terminal in Ames and Council Bluffs. I want to be there but just found out Texas is holding it's straw vote near that time and I WILL be there to push for my Candidate.

Iowa needs anything from us then we need to see that we do all we can to get it to them as well as NH and any state.

Thank you Ron Paul for not ignoring Middle America.

ChrisR
06-12-2007, 12:28 PM
For the benefit of those of us who don't have a complete understanding of this event, could someone please explain:

1) Exactly who are the people who are eligible for and will be voting in this poll?

2) Is there a way other than physical presence in Iowa to reach those who will be voting in this poll?

a) If so, how, and how may all of us participate?
b) If not, is there an organized effort to assemble teams on site for canvassing? If so, how do we get in touch with the organizers?

Thank you.

UCFGavin
06-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Dr. Paul is starting in a big hole against Romney. Hopefully he can at least make a large dent in his base and beat out all the other candidates by a decent margin.

beermotor
06-12-2007, 12:33 PM
All the media attention one would get if they win in the straw poll does mean something though. Plus, Iowans won't vote for you if you don't even bother to participate.

That's the idea anyway - gotta get that word out!

Blowback
06-12-2007, 12:55 PM
I've got a work conference in Chicago up until the 10th. I am considering making the drive/bus over for the straw poll. Would it help much even if I could only get there for the day of?

joenaab
06-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Just gave another $100.

I agree with all the posts here. This can only help the campaign. Sixty-days seems like forever these days.

ChicagoLawyer
06-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Blowback- I live in Chicago and plan on going to Iowa for the straw poll. We've got a huge meetup here, so I'm sure others will want to caravan with me. As for your questions about just being there for one day, I think it would still make a big difference, as there's all kind of logistics needed in making an event like this work.

That being said, Dave, do you know anything about volunteers needed for the event itself?

Dave
06-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Anyone with an Iowa drivers license can vote in the Ames Straw Poll. You don't have to be a Republican (though you do on caucus night in January).

To my knowledge there's no organized effort YET to assemble teams for working the streets. I think the organization will come from grassroots supporters. I'd encourage joining a Meetup and if your group wants to help in Iowa then have them contact the heads of the Iowa meetups.

I also don't know anything about specific plans for straw poll day in Ames - the efforts are just getting started.

What can you do from where you are to help turn out Iowans on Aug. 11? I suggested my ideas for action in my first post here. Maybe there will be an effort to have people nationwide call Iowa Repubs and independents. Donate, of course. Make signs at your meetup to be delivered to the Iowa meetups? Know anyone in Iowa? Belong to a work or hobby association that has members in Iowa you could contact as someone with common interests? Veterans groups? Truckers groups? Motorcycle groups? Spouses of Iowa servicemen/women? Go to your nearest airport and hand out brochures to people getting on flights that go to Iowa? I don't know...Brainstorm!

ARealConservative
06-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Anyone with an Iowa drivers license can vote in the Ames Straw Poll. You don't have to be a Republican (though you do on caucus night in January).

To my knowledge there's no organized effort YET to assemble teams for working the streets. I think the organization will come from grassroots supporters. I'd encourage joining a Meetup and if your group wants to help in Iowa then have them contact the heads of the Iowa meetups.

I also don't know anything about specific plans for straw poll day in Ames - the efforts are just getting started.

What can you do from where you are to help turn out Iowans on Aug. 11? I suggested my ideas for action in my first post here. Maybe there will be an effort to have people nationwide call Iowa Repubs and independents. Donate, of course. Make signs at your meetup to be delivered to the Iowa meetups? Know anyone in Iowa? Belong to a work or hobby association that has members in Iowa you could contact as someone with common interests? Veterans groups? Truckers groups? Motorcycle groups? Spouses of Iowa servicemen/women? Go to your nearest airport and hand out brochures to people getting on flights that go to Iowa? I don't know...Brainstorm!

Hi Dave, what were your thoughts on Joe Seehusen after the initial meetup? Does he seem organized? Optimistic? Charismatic?

dagnytaggart
06-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Isn't Joe Seehusen the former Exec Dir of the Libertarian Party? That name sounds awfully familiar. If so, it's great that he's on our side.

Dave
06-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Hi Dave, what were your thoughts on Joe Seehusen after the initial meetup? Does he seem organized? Optimistic? Charismatic?

Remember I just met him but he came off as very energized and very optimistic. I'm glad he and Lew had the attitude of "our goal is to WIN" instead of "we hope to pick up some support and try to make a statement by finishing higher than people think we will" or something weak like that.

Quantumystic
06-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Handing out materials to flights to Iowa?

GREAT IDEA! :D

ARealConservative
06-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Isn't Joe Seehusen the former Exec Dir of the Libertarian Party? That name sounds awfully familiar. If so, it's great that he's on our side.

Yep - that's the guy.

I travel in the state quite a bit and ran into his radio station while travelling in Southern Iowa. I didn't think we would get someone of his stature in Iowa, and I'm glad to see he is talking of winning and not just competing.

He ran for office and lost bad. He sounded pretty dejected in his writings and what not after that occured, so I was worried about his excitement and energy level.