PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul AD COMPETITION!

rs3515
10-30-2007, 01:25 AM
Given the amazing amount of creative energy in the grassroots effort, I've decided to pick up the ball and run with the idea of an Ad Competition! I've set up a page on YouTube which has complete rules and directions. Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/RonPaulAdCompetition

The competition starts immediately and will run until 11:59 PM Pacific Time on Monday, November 26. Ads will be produced for the 40-55 age demographic for residents of one of three states: New Hampshire, Iowa or South Carolina. The ad should appeal to the regional preferences and issues for the chosen state.

Four ads will be selected to be delivered to the campaign -- one for each state, plus a fourth which is considered to be the next best ad of all those remaining. Each ad selected to be used by the campaign will be rewarded with $500, and possibly some other rewards!!

If there are any questions, contact me through here or on the YouTube page. Thanks and good luck!

TechnoGuyRob
10-30-2007, 01:34 AM
Who are you? Do you have authority with the campaign?

rs3515
10-30-2007, 01:36 AM
Who are you? Do you have authority with the campaign?

Huh? It's just a grassroots effort to be creative ... there's no requirement for the campaign to use any of the ads. We'll share what's been created and if they don't have any interest there's no requirement on their part. This is just a follow-up of a thread that others previously started about an effort to bring together the creative spirit and technical ability of those within the grassroots.

Oh and one other point, this is an offer from me, not from the campaign.

rs3515
10-30-2007, 06:36 AM
bump

kylejack
10-30-2007, 06:39 AM
and possibly dinner with Dr. Paul himself!!

Isn't this a little irresponsible?

LibertyEagle
10-30-2007, 06:42 AM
This sounds like a WONDERFUL idea. :) Even if the campaign does not use them, we can, at the grassroots level.

Ok, all you people who said you could do such a better job, time to show whatcha got.

rs3515
10-30-2007, 06:43 AM

It was a suggestion tossed out by several people and I just summarized their thoughts ... there's NO guarantee of it happening, but possibly we could work something out ... are you familiar with the word "possibly"?? Geez I'll freakin' take it off there if it's getting your panties in a wad.

For all the complaining about the ads I thought people would want to get behind something like this.

LibertyEagle
10-30-2007, 06:44 AM

Yeah, I agree. You should remove that.

rs3515
10-30-2007, 06:46 AM
Yeah, I agree. You should remove that.

Go ahead and inform the other 4 people that posted it on previous threads to have them remove it as well.

kylejack
10-30-2007, 06:50 AM
Go ahead and inform the other 4 people that posted it on previous threads to have them remove it as well.
You're the one running the contest. Do you not want any constructive criticism on this? If so, that's fine, good luck with your contest.

freedominnumbers
10-30-2007, 06:56 AM
Just had a great thought for Iowa. Though not likely for the target age group.

A group of farmers creeps over to the neighbors farm in the dead of night and you see them making crop circles.

Then the owner farmer wakes up and looks out his window and yells to his wife "by jesus even the aliens support Ron Paul!" When he conveys the story to his buddies later on they all laugh at him.

rs3515
10-30-2007, 06:59 AM
You're the one running the contest. Do you not want any constructive criticism on this? If so, that's fine, good luck with your contest.

Yes I want constructive criticism. How about, "I'd recommend not mentioning Dr. Paul in the contest." Just asking for a bit of civility.

LibertyEagle
10-30-2007, 07:02 AM
Hey rs3515,

You're taking this too personally. Really. C'mon dude. :)

rs3515
10-30-2007, 07:03 AM
Just had a great thought for Iowa. Though not likely for the target age group.

A group of farmers creeps over to the neighbors farm in the dead of night and you see them making crop circles.

Then the owner farmer wakes up and looks out his window and yells to his wife "by jesus even the aliens support Ron Paul!" When he conveys the story to his buddies later on they all laugh at him.

Hmm you might be onto something with the crop circles ... maybe they wake up in the morning and it's the head of Ron Paul in the fields. ;)

kylejack
10-30-2007, 07:04 AM
Yes I want constructive criticism. How about, "I'd recommend not mentioning Dr. Paul in the contest." Just asking for a bit of civility.
Offering something that the campaign would have to come through on puts them in an awkward position. As to civility, I made a simple suggestion and you asked me not to get my panties in a wad, so get serious.

As to the contest, I think limiting it to 30 seconds might be more effective. Those are the ones they're most likely to use, and it seems to be what the campaign is having the most trouble with, currently.

LibertyEagle
10-30-2007, 07:05 AM
kylejack,
Most of Reagan's ads were 60 seconds in length.

constituent
10-30-2007, 07:06 AM
great idea, keep it up. you might want to keep tabs on res. requirements for real tv versus youtube vid. things of that nature.

margomaps
10-30-2007, 07:06 AM
If there are any questions, contact me through here or on the YouTube page. Thanks and good luck!

Hey, thanks for doing this! A lot of people have been talking about it, and you took the initiative to go and set something up. Actions speak louder than words!

You'll have to try to have thick skin when listening to criticism. In most cases, it's really not personal, so try not to take it that way. Sometimes the criticism will seem especially harsh or uncalled for. That's OK -- try to look at it dispassionately and determine if there's a valid point buried somewhere in there. If someone's obviously being a jerk, just move on. Rationally filtering through the criticism is the only way you'll be able to use feedback to improve your idea.

I personally think there are only two ways this sort of idea is likely to succeed:

1) Someone offers a large grand prize (thousands of dollars), or

2) Ron Paul himself solicits a request for a volunteer-made movie, particularly if he makes the request with a youtube video of his own, and particularly if there's a Ron Paul-themed prize (a telephone call from Ron, or a signed copy of the constitution, etc.)

LibertyEagle
10-30-2007, 07:08 AM
Well, if Don is reading this, maybe he will be so kind to take this idea back to the campaign. :)

In the meantime, I think it's a great idea. If people need thousands of dollars to go ahead and do what they were claiming they could do only a couple of days ago, well then, they aren't really Ron Paul supporters. If they are good enough, I would imagine the campaign would use them. Hopefully a couple of the others, the grassroots can use. Please everyone do remember that the grassroots is running ads too.

rs3515
10-30-2007, 07:09 AM
Offering something that the campaign would have to come through on puts them in an awkward position. As to civility, I made a simple suggestion and you asked me not to get my panties in a wad, so get serious.

As to the contest, I think limiting it to 30 seconds might be more effective. Those are the ones they're most likely to use, and it seems to be what the campaign is having the most trouble with, currently.

Don't mean to take it out on you, just had 3 other people this morning asking me why I have the authority to do this and who said I could come up with this (not the RP thing, just the competition in general).

I was just trying to be helpful given the amount of feedback, and thought something really great could come from such an effort. Started to wonder if people prefer to just complain about things or actually do something about it. I agree with the point of sticking to 30 seconds, it's the right approach.

freedominnumbers
10-30-2007, 07:09 AM
lol they are probably still waiting for a letter of authority to hang a RP sign on the freeway :)

rs3515
10-30-2007, 07:10 AM
kylejack,
Most of Reagan's ads were 60 seconds in length.

Hmmm I do agree they're having some issues with 30 ... maybe we let people choose as it is? I'm open to whatever people think is best.

LibertyEagle
10-30-2007, 07:13 AM
rs3515,

Just pick one and go with it. Or, maybe even have a competition for a 30 second ad and a competition for a 60 second ad. Whatever you think.

rs3515
10-30-2007, 07:16 AM
If people need thousands of dollars to go ahead and do what they were claiming they could do only a couple of days ago, well then, they aren't really Ron Paul supporters.

I'm willing for there to be some financial reward to this (as it's described in the rules) ... even though it's grassroots, I look at it as though the campaign would have to use $50-75,000 worth of donated money to produce an ad, so giving a small amount that's judged by the campaign to be just as good is worth a reward.

constituent
10-30-2007, 07:20 AM
so are you looking for video or scripts?

also do you prefer pro-RP or anti-someone else?

Meatwasp
A creat idea! The crop circles without mentioning Jesus sounds like a winner

rs3515
great idea, keep it up. you might want to keep tabs on res. requirements for real tv versus youtube vid. things of that nature.

I did make mention in the rules that it must be both uploaded to YouTube and available in NTSC broadcast quality files ... is this what you had meant or something different?

I'm not a video expert, so if there are other requirements which you (or others) might know of definitely let me know.

rs3515
10-30-2007, 07:24 AM
so are you looking for video or scripts?

also do you prefer pro-RP or anti-someone else?

Final product should be a video. If people want to discuss scripts first it's not a bad idea, and certainly willing to share with marketing professionals I know to give some feedback.

Ah good point about pro-RP ... should mention that it follows the www.wwrpd.org rules as a guideline. ;) I don't think there's anything wrong with making a point that clearly differentiates RP from the competition, but not negative or slandering in nature.

unklejman
10-30-2007, 07:33 AM
It would be nice If we had some access to full resolution RP videos, or access to him.

rs3515
10-30-2007, 07:40 AM
It would be nice If we had some access to full resolution RP videos, or access to him.

Thinking access to him won't be realistic, but maybe I could ask about videos and see what they say.

LibertyEagle
10-30-2007, 07:44 AM
This is SUCH a great idea, rs3515. I'm so excited about this. :)

Nate K
10-30-2007, 07:59 AM
good idea, i won't be able to compete cause i'm in the suburbs but i may be able to offer ideas.

AdamT
10-30-2007, 08:02 AM
It should probably be limited to 30 seconds, as it costs double to run a 60 second. Knowing the frugal nature of the campaign, I can't imagine they'd spend the extra funding on 60 seconds until perhaps way down the line, and after they've won NH and other early states, and got a major fundraising boost.

The FEC requires a text disclaimer to be on screen at the end of the ad for 4 seconds. Some of it has to be voice over as well. If the campaign uses any of these ads, they would have to insert their own disclaimer at the end, since none of us have the authority. So basically set aside the last 4-6 seconds to the disclaimer. That leaves 24-26 seconds left for the actual ad.

margomaps
10-30-2007, 08:04 AM
If people need thousands of dollars to go ahead and do what they were claiming they could do only a couple of days ago, well then, they aren't really Ron Paul supporters.

I see what you're saying, but I also disagree. I'm sure there are some people out there who have toyed with the idea of making a youtube video for Ron, but just never got around to it (too busy with other activism, too busy with life, whatever). It's quite plausible that someone would be motivated to finally do it if there were a prize to be won. Not only is cash a motivating factor, but the desire to compete and win as well -- at least for some.

I never claimed that the cash reward is the only thing motivating people. Not everything is black and white, and I'm sure you can see that a "real" Ron Paul supporter might be persuaded to enter this competition if there's a cash prize. :)

rs3515
10-30-2007, 08:05 AM
It should probably be limited to 30 seconds, as it costs double to run a 60 second. Knowing the frugal nature of the campaign, I can't imagine they'd spend the extra funding on 60 seconds until perhaps way down the line, and after they've won NH and other early states, and got a major fundraising boost.

The FEC requires a text disclaimer to be on screen at the end of the ad for 4 seconds. Some of it has to be voice over as well. If the campaign uses any of these ads, they would have to insert their own disclaimer at the end, since none of us have the authority. So basically set aside the last 4-6 seconds to the disclaimer. That leaves 24-26 seconds left for the actual ad.

Have changed the rules to state 30 seconds only ...

Do you know how the FEC text disclaimer should read? The voice disclaimer can be at the front or back, correct?

UPDATE: Just looked at NH #2 Ad and saw the FEC text disclaimer ... seems like the rule is the text and voice disclaimers are done at the same time, and can be on the front or back of the commercial. I've updated the rules appropriately.

margomaps
10-30-2007, 08:05 AM
good idea, i won't be able to compete cause i'm in the suburbs but i may be able to offer ideas.

What the...?!! What kind of crazy excuse is that?? :D

LibertyEagle
10-30-2007, 08:40 AM
I never claimed that the cash reward is the only thing motivating people. Not everything is black and white, and I'm sure you can see that a "real" Ron Paul supporter might be persuaded to enter this competition if there's a cash prize. :)

There's already a cash prize. $500.

margomaps
10-30-2007, 08:43 AM
There's already a cash prize. $500.

Yes, and if you agree that a $500 cash prize may be a motivator, then certainly you might agree that a $2,000 cash prize might be a larger motivator.

kylejack
10-30-2007, 08:49 AM
Yes, and if you agree that a $500 cash prize may be a motivator, then certainly you might agree that a $2,000 cash prize might be a larger motivator.

Thank you for your generous donation to the cause!

margomaps
10-30-2007, 08:51 AM
Thank you for your generous donation to the cause!

Believe me, if I had $2,000 I would give it to Dr. Paul's campaign. I'm going into debt (albeit only $25) for today's money bomb. What I lack in dollars, I try to make up for in donated time -- canvassing, making phone calls for the campaign here in NH, etc.

ronpaulyourmom
10-30-2007, 08:58 AM
Here's one from me... donno if I want to take the time to figure out Youtube though.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=29467

rs3515
10-30-2007, 09:40 AM
Believe me, if I had $2,000 I would give it to Dr. Paul's campaign. I'm going into debt (albeit only $25) for today's money bomb. What I lack in dollars, I try to make up for in donated time -- canvassing, making phone calls for the campaign here in NH, etc.

But think about it this way ... if others are willing to donate and we create a sizable prize, *and* the ad is actually used by the campaign, it will have cost far less than the amount that would have been needed to be used from donated funds ...

rs3515
10-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Here's one from me... donno if I want to take the time to figure out Youtube though.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=29467

Would $500 be worth your while to want to figure it out? There are also plenty of other video experts on here that might be able to help ...

I think you've got the starting point of some good things in your video. Would be interesting to see it further developed.

Energy
10-30-2007, 05:49 PM
Glad this got rolling. Maybe put up a ChipIn to add to the prize?

rs3515
10-30-2007, 07:12 PM
Glad this got rolling. Maybe put up a ChipIn to add to the prize?

Good idea ... I'll see about setting something up on ChipIn. A couple of thousand dollars for an ad the campaign decides to use is much better than having them spending $50,000-$75,000 in donations.

danda
10-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Good man rs3515. Thanks for leading the charge on this one. There is a lot of creative talent out there with people making YouTube vids. So even if we don't replace the campaign's creations, hopefully they will be able to run our winner, and this may be a way to unleash some of that "internet" talent to the offline world.

rs3515
10-30-2007, 11:23 PM
Thanks for leading the charge on this one.

No problem, I thought this was a worthwhile effort and wanted to put some energy behind it. Hopefully we can get some others to add to the reward through ChipIn and up the ante for those creating ads!

rs3515
10-31-2007, 06:47 AM
A ChipIn has been added to the Competition to up the ante! All ChipIn contributions will go to the person (or persons) who have their early primary ad selected to be run by the official campaign. This could be up to $2,500!

http://ronpaulad.chipin.com
http://www.youtube.com/RonPaulAdCompetition

rs3515
10-31-2007, 02:00 PM
bump