PDA

View Full Version : A longtime critic was converted by last night's debate!

CGoodin
06-14-2011, 07:47 PM
As some of you might already know, I write a weekly political column for a newspaper here in rural Arkansas. This afternoon, a fan and friend who has long been critical of my support for Ron Paul stopped by the office specifically to tell me that last night's debate had won him over.

When I asked him which of Paul's debate responses had inspired such a drastic shift in support, he specifically mentioned the one in which Paul dismissed Romney's suggestion that the President should consult with military generals before pulling out of Afghanistan and told me Paul was "the only one who was right" when it came to foreign policy.

This from a guy who a few months ago was telling me he wouldn't care if we turned the entire Middle-East into a giant crater, whether with nukes or otherwise.

In the short time I've been a member of this forum, I've read a great deal of posts critical of Paul's presentation, and while I agree our purpose could certainly benefit from a little polish, days like today remind me that the message is sometimes more powerful and unquestionably more important than the package in which it's delivered.

RonPaulVolunteer
06-14-2011, 07:51 PM
:)

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
06-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Freedom is popular and thanks for sharing.

afwjam
06-14-2011, 08:10 PM
love it!

TIMB0B
06-14-2011, 08:12 PM
...the message is sometimes more powerful and unquestionably more important than the package in which it's delivered.

qft

Chieppa1
06-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Awesome. I had a nice Twitter conversation with a young kid about Ron after the debate. He was an economics student. He wondered why Ron Paul kept hating on the FED. 15 minutes later I had him on Youtube, googling Austrian economics and looking to read End the Fed. Told him to keep me in the loop with his research.

PaulConventionWV
06-14-2011, 08:23 PM
It's the little things...

JK/SEA
06-14-2011, 08:57 PM
How is our red pill supply holding out?...let me know if we need another batch.

BucksforPaul
06-14-2011, 09:43 PM
As some of you might already know, I write a weekly political column for a newspaper here in rural Arkansas. This afternoon, a fan and friend who has long been critical of my support for Ron Paul stopped by the office specifically to tell me that last night's debate had won him over.

When I asked him which of Paul's debate responses had inspired such a drastic shift in support, he specifically mentioned the one in which Paul dismissed Romney's suggestion that the President should consult with military generals before pulling out of Afghanistan and told me Paul was "the only one who was right" when it came to foreign policy.

This from a guy who a few months ago was telling me he wouldn't care if we turned the entire Middle-East into a giant crater, whether with nukes or otherwise.

In the short time I've been a member of this forum, I've read a great deal of posts critical of Paul's presentation, and while I agree our purpose could certainly benefit from a little polish, days like today remind me that the message is sometimes more powerful and unquestionably more important than the package in which it's delivered.

+rep for truthiness! :cool:

Anti Federalist
06-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Once again, this is how it works.

+rep when I get some more.

Welcome aboard.

Chowder
06-14-2011, 09:58 PM

When I asked him which of Paul's debate responses had inspired such a drastic shift in support, he specifically mentioned the one in which Paul dismissed Romney's suggestion that the President should consult with military generals before pulling out of Afghanistan and told me Paul was "the only one who was right" when it came to
foreign policy.

*1up*

Tell him we said welcome aboard the journey of liberty!

hillertexas
06-15-2011, 09:37 AM
nice!

Bern
06-15-2011, 09:51 AM
First of all, I appreciate you sharing a success story with us all. I always enjoy a good success story.

... and while I agree our purpose could certainly benefit from a little polish, days like today remind me that the message is sometimes more powerful and unquestionably more important than the package in which it's delivered.

I'm going to nitpick here though. I posit that Ron's response on that question was one of the few answers he gave all night where he was assertive/bold with an action that he would take, put forth in words the suggestion that he might be the president (commander in chief in this case), and made a dig at Romney/the other candidates on the stage. His delivery was what made the moment memorable.

JamesButabi
06-15-2011, 10:00 AM
This statement was POWERFUL. Im finding all across the board of Republicans this was the solidifying moment of the debate no matter what the media says. The reason this statement was converting people isn't because freedom was popular. It was because Ron Paul showed confidence and strength. Like many of us have been saying since day 1 of this go around. If Ron Paul lays out actual plans with details instead of education, he will be a force.

Chester Copperpot
06-15-2011, 10:04 AM
awesomeness

dannno
06-15-2011, 10:05 AM

I'm going to put that quote in a text bubble on this picture:

http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Uploads/Graphics/001-0722204327-Ron-Paul-Constitution-Doctor.JPG

Chester Copperpot
06-15-2011, 10:06 AM
First of all, I appreciate you sharing a success story with us all. I always enjoy a good success story.

I'm going to nitpick here though. I posit that Ron's response on that question was one of the few answers he gave all night where he was assertive/bold with an action that he would take, put forth in words the suggestion that he might be the president (commander in chief in this case), and made a dig at Romney/the other candidates on the stage. His delivery was what made the moment memorable.

I have to say that humans seem to be attracted to an assertive leadership type.. especially GOP and tea partiers..

thats one reason guys like Cain and Trump rocket off at first.. their rhetoric is forceful and strong..

A little bit here and there by Ron will win their votes too i think

Chester Copperpot
06-15-2011, 10:06 AM

HAHA!!

we can be the federal reserve of red pills

ChrisDixon
06-15-2011, 11:19 AM

+rep

I've heard of a couple people coming over to our side since the debate. Paul has one thing right: more and more people are coming over to our side. We won't be mocked anymore.

S.Shorland
06-15-2011, 02:44 PM
I go with the applause and assert that RP won the debate.

sailingaway
06-15-2011, 02:48 PM

I have given out to much rep in the last 24 hours to give you any.....:(

sailingaway
06-15-2011, 02:51 PM
This statement was POWERFUL. Im finding all across the board of Republicans this was the solidifying moment of the debate no matter what the media says. The reason this statement was converting people isn't because freedom was popular. It was because Ron Paul showed confidence and strength. Like many of us have been saying since day 1 of this go around. If Ron Paul lays out actual plans with details instead of education, he will be a force.

He showed confidence and strength when he told Guiliani to go pound sand, too, but it didn't have this reaction from as many conservatives.... I think people are war weary and those who weren't absolutely gung ho before now look at the deficit and shake their heads, thinking of how much we are spending overseas. It makes them more open to it now.

nobody's_hero
06-15-2011, 02:59 PM
I think, true or not, the Osama bin Laden killing gave many (not all) conservatives a good stopping point with which they could claim victory and feel comfortable recalling the troops.

The window of opportunity may be small, though.

The propagandists have been spewing the nonsense that the "War on Terror" is far from over, and are trying to compile a list of people, real or imagined, dead or alive, that we'll "have" to take out before we could ever bring the troops home.

Sailing away makes a good point too:

More conservatives are open to the fiscal arguments against continuing the war, as well, so it seems.

Koz
06-15-2011, 04:38 PM
days like today remind me that the message is sometimes more powerful and unquestionably more important than the package in which it's delivered.

Well said.

Paul Or Nothing II
06-16-2011, 03:18 AM

In fact, exactly the opposite of what you're saying happened. It was his PACKAGING that won him that point, he was simple, decisive, assertive & it gave people what they want to see ie a strong leader so it was all about packaging & he had it absolutely spot on on that occasion & a lot of us have shown appreciation for it in the related threads & that's exactly what most of us want Ron to do. He didn't have to change his message, all he did was make it simple, appealing & easy to understand for the people instead of going on a talk-frenzy like he usually does so that's what we need more of from Ron if we're to get anywhere close to even getting the GOP nomination.

torchbearer
06-16-2011, 06:38 AM
good news.

Travlyr
06-16-2011, 06:44 AM
And another +rep for the new guy. This is good news. ;)