PDA

View Full Version : John Hospers, Libertarian Party's 1st nominated presidential candidate, died Sun, age 93

emazur
06-13-2011, 01:34 PM
http://www.rootforamerica.com/webroot/blog/2011/06/13/our-friend-john-hospers-passes-away/
I have sad news to report…John Hospers, the very first Libertarian Presidential candidate in 1972, has passed away. John was 93. Because of our close friendship, I was asked to announce his death to the LP and his many fans and supporters.

John passed quietly away in his sleep, on Sunday morning June 12 without pain and suffering, of natural causes. He died only 3 days after his 93rd birthday.

He was a true friend of individual liberty and freedom.

http://www.bastiatinstitute.org/2011/06/13/john-hospers-rip/
For those unfamiliar with Professor Hospers, he was the first presidential candidate of the Libertarian Party in 1972. He and his running mate, Tonie Nathan, were the first (and so far only) Libertarian Party ticket to receive an electoral vote, which came after Virginia Republican elector Roger MacBride (who later became the LP’s 1976 presidential nominee) refused to support President Richard Nixon’s reelection. Tonie Nathan’s place on the ticket also resulted in her being the first woman in United States history to receive an electoral vote. She was also the first Jewish person to receive an electoral vote.

Hospers was well-known in libertarian circles as arguably the first academic philosopher to take seriously Ayn Rand’s Objectivist philosophy. In addition to libertarian activism, he was the longtime chairman of the philosophy department at the University of Southern California. At the time of his death, Dr. Hospers was Professor Emeritus of Philosophy at USC. He remained active in the liberty movement in the decades following his run for president. Professor Hospers will be greatly missed, and our thoughts are with his family and friends.

gls
06-13-2011, 04:03 PM
I remember reading his endorsement of George W. Bush back in 2004; it sounded like it could have been written by Bill Kristol.