PDA

View Full Version : Pitbull attacks old man in Florida; idiots want to ban all pit bulls

cindy25
06-13-2011, 12:40 AM
when police kill innocent dogs we condemn it, but I can't recall anyone here advocating abolishing the police.

read the comments following this item

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/pit-bulls-rip-arms-off-74-year-old-disabled-florida-veteran/comment-page-8/#comment-1296626

libertybrewcity
06-13-2011, 12:44 AM
people, people, people...

cindy25
06-13-2011, 12:45 AM
people, people, people...

sheeple, sheeple, sheeple

heavenlyboy34
06-13-2011, 12:45 AM
when police kill innocent dogs we condemn it, but I can't recall anyone here advocating abolishing the police.

I do, and AF does (bless his beating heart :) ).

pcosmar
06-13-2011, 04:22 AM
http://www.constitution.org/lrev/roots/cops.htm

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/graphic/petehomeimage.jpg

Mordan
06-13-2011, 05:04 AM
i'm sorry but I 'm in favor of extreme laws against dogs. My godfather was nearly killed by a german shepard who was lyaing quietly and in a second of folly decided to my uncle was to be killed.

german shepards and pitbull are psychologically instable dogs and must be extremely controlled.

madengr
06-13-2011, 05:09 AM
but I can't recall anyone here advocating abolishing the police.

You must not be from around these parts. :-)

fisharmor
06-13-2011, 05:34 AM

Yeah, the LEO apologists really don't even bother defending them around here anymore.

The differences between a pitbull and a cop:

-The pitbull can actually be trained to protect property

-If you've ever been around a dog before, you can usually gauge the pitbull's mood

-A pitbull has the decency to remain fit enough to catch you if it wants you, instead of just tazering your ass to keep you from outrunning it

-When pitbulls attack you unjustifiably, they tend to do it one at a time

-Everyone recognizes that pitbulls generally aren't capable of being reasoned with

-If someone defends himself against an attacking pitbull, it doesn't send out an APB that asks every other pitbull in the area to come kill you

-You can rest assured that, if you're peacefully enjoying a drink at a bar, a gang of pitbulls isn't going to show up and start a brawl (or simply case the joint to bust you afterward, if they're "on duty")

-Pitbulls aren't legally protected when they break through your windows and doors, light your daughter on fire, and then shoot her in the head

-If the pitbull kills a kid, it doesn't get a paid vacation

-If a pitbull smells dope smoke in your apartment complex, he's not going to care enough to get SCROTUS to shred the 4th amendment over it

-When a pitbull attacks you for dancing, it's probably going to be in your own yard, where you have a chance at defending yourself: it's not going to be at a monument in DC where they've disarmed everyone (though the point they're making is the same: I'm the alpha male and you aren't)

mrsat_98
06-13-2011, 05:34 AM

read the comments following this item

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/pit-bulls-rip-arms-off-74-year-old-disabled-florida-veteran/comment-page-8/#comment-1296626

I do, and AF does (bless his beating heart :) ).

don't forget me.

pcosmar
06-13-2011, 05:48 AM
german shepards and pitbull are psychologically instable dogs and must be extremely controlled.

:rolleyes:

http://www.klgsd.com/testold_files/Zipp0706c.jpg
http://www.harrisonk9.com/images/pricing_k9_with_kids.jpg
http://www.total-german-shepherd.com/images/our-gentle-giant-my-german-shepherd-chance-21479040.jpg

http://i.feedtacoma.com/photos/29-after.jpg
http://www.arepitbullsmean.com/alexia2.jpg

Perhaps we know things differently.

or maybe dogs just don't like mean people.
;)

FrankRep
06-13-2011, 06:11 AM

I've seen quite a few people on Ron Paul Forums call for abolishing the police.

Invi
06-13-2011, 06:26 AM
Breed specific legislation is disgusting. Most people couldn't identity an american pitbull terrier if they tried. To most, any dog with a boxy head is a pitbull. :c
I've been bitten by Chow Chows, Wire-haired terriers, and a Saint Bernard mutt. The last was more of an attack than just a bite. Never had any trouble with a pit, GSD, rottie, or doberman, and I've been around plenty of each. Still the only dogs I avoid are unsocialized Chows. They're simply very protective. Doesn't make them, or any other breed, bad.

cindy25
06-13-2011, 06:30 AM
has anyone noticed how rare (compared to 60s/70s) dogs are as part of tv series now?

there is a real need for Littlest Hobo, Lassie, and an American version of Komissar Rex

Jake Ralston
06-13-2011, 06:37 AM
i'm sorry but I 'm in favor of extreme laws against dogs. My godfather was nearly killed by a german shepard who was lyaing quietly and in a second of folly decided to my uncle was to be killed.

You need to be extremely controlled, pet owners of any breed are responsible for their dog's behavior!

heavenlyboy34
06-13-2011, 08:24 AM
don't forget me.
n/p. :) My list was not intended to be definitive or exclusive-just what immediately sprang to mind.

flightlesskiwi
06-13-2011, 08:39 AM
:rolleyes:

http://www.klgsd.com/testold_files/Zipp0706c.jpg
http://www.harrisonk9.com/images/pricing_k9_with_kids.jpg
http://www.total-german-shepherd.com/images/our-gentle-giant-my-german-shepherd-chance-21479040.jpg

http://i.feedtacoma.com/photos/29-after.jpg
http://www.arepitbullsmean.com/alexia2.jpg

Perhaps we know things differently.

or maybe dogs just don't like mean people.
;)

I happen to own 2 GSDs and I have 2 small children. Just because you have a fear (rational or irrational) about something, this does NOT give you the right to push for blanket legislation that prohibits another person's freedom of choice. Oh, wait, in the US, it does. But that does NOT make it correct or even rational.

pcosmar
06-13-2011, 08:55 AM
I happen to own 2 GSDs and I have 2 small children. Just because you have a fear (rational or irrational) about something, this does NOT give you the right to push for blanket legislation that prohibits another person's freedom of choice. Oh, wait, in the US, it does. But that does NOT make it correct or even rational.

I have never owned a Shepherd (but have known several), but have owned a Pitt, and a couple Rotts and several Mutts of various lineages.

Every dog I know of has teeth in it's mouth, and can bite.
Fear of dogs is common, but like most fear it is not rational.

specsaregood
06-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Every dog I know of has teeth in it's mouth, and can bite.

Does every breed of dog have the same amount of strength especially in their jaws, same size teech? Does every breed of dog have the same level of prey drive?

Sure, every dog has teeth and can bite; but that doesn't mean they all are carry with them the same amount of possible danger.

pcosmar
06-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Does every breed of dog have the same amount of strength especially in their jaws, same size teech? Does every breed of dog have the same level of prey drive?

Sure, every dog has teeth and can bite; but that doesn't mean they all are carry with them the same amount of possible danger.

In my personal experience, small breed dogs are much more likely to bite and are far more aggressive.
They do less damage as a rule.
I have a Rott/Lab mix presently and two smaller dogs. Cassie has not got a mean hair on her hide.
She is strong though.
Shadow is small (40 lbs) short legged and very protective. She would be the most likely to attack a threat.

My elder brother has an irrational fear of dogs, When I was in the Keys I had a Large Rott(Bitty). Very friendly and gentile, but she could sense my brother's fear and would intimidate him.
I have known both trained and untrained guard dogs, And Bitty's mom was a trained attack dog. We had her in our home with her pups. A very sweet disposition. But she would kill on command.
Training and socialization are more relevant than breed.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5045/5348979307_a3fede6983_z.jpg

Worry more about the attack cats.
;)

fisharmor
06-13-2011, 10:00 AM
In my personal experience, small breed dogs are much more likely to bite and are far more aggressive..... She would be the most likely to attack a threat.

I grew up with a Cairn Terrier (Toto from the Wizard of Oz was one, for size reference) and he was the meanest son of a bitch that ever made it to old age in a home as opposed to getting the needle after a two week stay in the "dangerous" section of the pound.
I was bitten more by that dog, than... come to think of it, I've never been bitten by another dog. No other animal on earth has ever had my entire forearm streaming with rivulets of blood.

Small terriers were bred to kill anything that moves up to and including badgers. If they are good pets, it's only because there is a strict regimen of training and discipline, or because they've had their original purpose completely bred out.

Small purpose-bred dogs ruined me on dogs to the point where I will never own one. The dog that started to bring me around on dogs was actually a wolf hybrid, of all things (AFAIK still the reigning king of banned breeds). Since then I've met plenty of rots, pit bulls, dobermans, and all sorts of other "scary" dogs, and they've been a pleasure to be around. And to this day, almost every single terrier I meet begs and pleads for me to kick it's fucking teeth out.

Pericles
06-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Worry more about the attack cats.
;)

Attack cats are evil.

specsaregood
06-13-2011, 10:11 AM
I grew up with a Cairn Terrier (Toto from the Wizard of Oz was one, for size reference) and he was the meanest son of a bitch that ever made it to old age in a home as opposed to getting the needle after a two week stay in the "dangerous" section of the pound.
I was bitten more by that dog, than... come to think of it, I've never been bitten by another dog. No other animal on earth has ever had my entire forearm streaming with rivulets of blood.

I think that is the point though, evidently you were attacked and bitten many times by this dog and yet came away rather unscathed. How likely would you be to say the same thing if it had been a pitbull?

pcosmar
06-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Attack cats are evil.

They follow me around the farm in a pack (or is it a pride), if i could only get them to attack on command and in concert they would be formidable.

flightlesskiwi
06-13-2011, 10:38 AM
small breed dogs can be little bastards. we had a maltie-poo when i was a child and she hated feet and was food aggressive. my parents were not-so-good dog owners and she bit all of us several times.

anyway, for the most part aggressive behavior from small dogs is "tolerated" because they are small. if my GSDs behaved the way my neighbor's chihuahuas behave (barking, growling, lunging, biting), i'd have a lawsuit on my hands and they'd probably be euthanized. small dogs CAN inflict damage (especially to children). and, in my mind, they exhibit the same aggressive behavior as a large breed dog and should be dealt with and NOT laughed at or ignored.

and for a side note about "bad breeds": my dad owned a 90# chocolate lab (AKC registered, btw) that attacked me (and i mean attacked-- he bit all the way through layers of a jean jacket, lined flannel jacket and long sleeve shirt to rip part of my arm open, so much for a "soft mouth") as my first GSD looked on (she was a puppy at the time).

was i afraid when it happened? yes. do i think labrador retrivers should be banned? no. that dog was messed up in the head and would bite my dad when he would feed him and was very aggressive-dominant. to me, it just showed irresponsible dog ownership (paired with bad breeding-- a free market issue if you will) and encouraged me to do things quite differently in my own life with my own dogs.

dogs are not toys or accessories. even the little ones.

Wesker1982
06-13-2011, 01:25 PM

So you would trade an extremely unlikely violent scenario (a dog attack) for a guaranteed more violent scenario (expansion of the police state) ?

You are 8 times more likely to be killed by a cop than a terrorist iirc. And I don't know about you, but when I walk down the street at night, I am more worried about being hassled and possibly killed by a cop than being attacked by a dog. At least if a dog assaults me I can defend myself without going to prison or getting shot.

Oh and btw, there are already laws against aggression. There is no need to be redundant. If your property causes damage to the property of others, you are responsible. There is no need (duh) to expand the police state.

falconplayer11
06-13-2011, 01:38 PM

I'm sorry but I'm in favor of extreme laws against humans going near the ocean. My godmother was nearly killed by the ocean that was lapping peacefully on the shore and in a second decided to rip her out into the ocean.

The ocean is dangerous and humans should not be allowed near them.

LibertyEagle
06-13-2011, 01:40 PM

No, they aren't. It's all about how they are raised and treated. Abuse any dog enough, and it will become vicious.

Brian4Liberty
06-13-2011, 01:57 PM

I was viciously attacked by a dachshund one time. Took me several minutes to realize it though. ;)

I agree, it's about the power of the dog, not whether it is biting. It was bit once by a German Sheppard, and you know when that happens. Ripped a big hole in my jeans.

Lol! Yeah, I had one of those little bastards as a kid. Little shit bit my nose one time while I was laying on the couch. Left scars.

Unfortunately, I worked with a guy who had a pit bull that killed his (toddler) niece. The kid made a quick dash past the dog, and it grabbed her by the head. The whole family was right there, but it happened in a flash.

specsaregood
06-13-2011, 02:30 PM
//

nobody's_hero
06-13-2011, 02:45 PM
I've got a pitbull who was pepper-sprayed twice by the cops (we don't have animal control) trying to get him to leave an adjacent property (at least they didn't shoot).

3 hours later he came back, tail wagging. That dog couldn't be mean if it tried.

He didn't have a collar and the property owner was about to call 'someone' to come pick the dog up and take him away, but I offered to take him.

All I have to say is that he's really hyper, so I have to keep his claws trimmed because he's pretty stubborn about breaking the 'jumping' habit and he does scratch on accident. But anger and hyperactiveness can be confusing to someone who doesn't spend much time with dogs, especially those 'scary' pitbulls. He doesn't bite, and he's never growled.