PDA

View Full Version : Can someone interpret this signage ordinance for me?

ckhagen
10-29-2007, 10:27 PM
We almost have signs to put out around town, so I went to look up the code for it (my county, specifically my geographical area of my cty, is EXTREMELY strict regarding signage, notoriously so).

Can someone else read over this for me and tell me whether or not I'm seeing things correctly... Because I'm reading it as saying they're just plain not allowed anywhere, ever. That can't be true...

http://gisftp.co.walton.fl.us/search/ordinances/1986-13.pdf

bbachtung
10-29-2007, 10:30 PM
Here's the key language:

Section 5: Exemptions:

Temporary political signs or signs bearing a political message are exempted from the requirements of this ordinance. Temporary signs shall meet the requirements of this ordinance but shall be exempt from obtaining a permit. All non-profit organizations are exempt from obtaining a permit.

wwycher
10-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Polititical signs are exempt from having to have a permit. That means put em' up until someone tells you not to. You might also contact your local DOT office and get them to explain it to you. Don't give them your name. I was told to tell them that you wanted to put American flags and support the troops signs up, when asking about it. Remember, it is a buerocrat's job to say no. Best bet to do it until someone tells you no. Just my opinion, in no way reflects Dr. Pauls views.

ckhagen
10-29-2007, 10:52 PM
Ok... so...

This part :"Temporary signs shall meet the requirements of this ordinance but shall be exempt from obtaining a permit. "

Aren't the "requirements" that they can't be put up in the ROW, on poles, etc...?

I'm GOING to put them up, no doubt there, I don't really care... people put crap up all the time out here. But, I would like to put them up in a manner that doesn't end in them being taken down 2 hours later! The Code Enforcement guys around here spend all day doing nothing but taking down signs.

jointhefightforfreedom
10-29-2007, 11:00 PM
It's called a revolution!

if we follow all the unconstitional laws we loose!

I would put em everywhere i can except for telephone polls and blocking
stop signs ect...

I put mine out after dark on fri code enforcement doesnt work on weekends where i live! :)

tangent4ronpaul
10-30-2007, 01:15 AM
A while back (years) we were going to hang banners so checked the state ordinances, and the county ordinances and the city ordinances and found nothing - but our banners disappeared within hours. Found out later that the highway department had some regulation saying signs can be no bigger than something like 2 square feet...

now the reality of the situation all hinges on the cops or whoever enforces said ordinances. "Support our troops" will stay up there till the weather brings them down. Oddly, Ron Paul banners have been known to stay up for weeks too!!!!

-n

Thunderbolt
10-30-2007, 04:09 AM
Section 5: Exemptions:
Temporary political signs or signs bearing a political message are exempted from the requirements of
this ordinance.

The part about that comes next about temporary signs does not apply. That is another category of sign. So you can ignore the rest of that sentence: Temporary signs shall meet the requirements of this ordinance. That should not apply to temporary political signs.

That means that nothing in that particular ordinance pertains to political signs. That does not mean there there is not another ordinance that does deal with political signs. I would search for one. This sentence kind of implies that there is another ordinance out there. They don't usually like to leave a whole area of law empty.

This is not meant to be legal advice. If you want legal advice hire qualified counsel.

Tn...Andy
10-30-2007, 04:31 AM
It's called a revolution!

if we follow all the unconstitional laws we loose!

I would put em everywhere i can except for telephone polls and blocking
stop signs ect...

I put mine out after dark on fri code enforcement doesnt work on weekends where i live! :)

EXACTAMUMDO

Make 'em cheap....stack 'em deep.

http://www.digistash.com/data/026a39ae63343c68b5223a95f3e17616/5728_p119283.jpeg