PDA

View Full Version : Relaunch of the (new and improved) Freedom Atlas!

malkusm
06-12-2011, 03:02 PM
I've mentioned this in several other threads, but now that the kinks are more thoroughly worked out, I'd like to formally introduce everyone to the new Freedom Atlas:

http://freedomatlas.org/

The full-feature version of the site allows users to view groups in various ways:

Clicking the name of a state on the left-hand side will auto-zoom the map to the groups in that state.
Clicking the check box next to a state name will show the groups in that state
Clicking the blue "folder" icon in between the check box and the state name will allow a user to "drill down" to select only certain group types.

Due to browser compatibility issues, the full-feature version is not available in Internet Explorer and older versions of Firefox (version 3 and earlier). To that end, we've provided the map in its old form for users of those browsers - scroll down to the bottom of the front page to find the link. This version of the map does not have the functionality listed above....so we recommend using a different browser and getting the full experience! :)

Critical to the sustainability of the map is the ability of users to update it. On the right-hand side of the page, we've supplied a user form where users can add their groups or report existing groups that no longer exist. The more users submit, the more accurate the map will be at any given time....so we recommend taking advantage! :)

"Why use this map?"

While Meetup allows users to find groups tagged with something on a similar map, this map has several disadvantages which the Freedom Atlas corrects for:

Meetup's map only shows Meetup groups. Many people have switched to alternatives, including Facebook, Yahoo!, and Google groups. Freedom Atlas allows groups on all platforms to be listed in one place.
Meetup's map can only show one tag at a time. It can often be useful to do outreach across groups that are not only tagged with "Ron Paul", but also with "Campaign for Liberty," "Tea Party," "Libertarian," and so on. This is an arduous task using the functions on Meetup's website. Freedom Atlas aggregates this information in a visibly intuitive way, allowing users to access what they want.
Not all Meetup groups are properly tagged. In order for a group to show up on the Meetup map, they must be tagged. Freedom Atlas allows users to submit groups no matter the tags.
Facebook offers no way to search related groups by proximity to an area. Freedom Atlas will display these groups in map format, which is unavailable elsewhere.

Please leave questions and comments in this thread. Please redirect any +rep you might have to teacherone, who graciously accepted this project and lent his webmaster skills, without which the map would still be in its old form.

CaseyJones
06-12-2011, 04:48 PM
tried it runs good

malkusm
06-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Bump for views :)

jm1776
06-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Nice work! Works great with Safari 5 on OS X

teacherone
06-13-2011, 12:36 AM
The full-feature version of the site allows users to view groups in various ways:
Clicking the name of a state on the left-hand side will auto-zoom the map to the groups in that state.
Clicking the check box next to a state name will show the groups in that state
Clicking the blue "folder" icon in between the check box and the state name will allow a user to "drill down" to select only certain group types.

^^^^ maybe add this above the map so visitors know these capabilities?

"Why use this map?"

++++++snip++++++

^^^ this is well written - does it make sense on the home page? or maybe as a stand alone?

malkusm
06-13-2011, 06:34 AM
^^^^ maybe add this above the map so visitors know these capabilities?

^^^ this is well written - does it make sense on the home page? or maybe as a stand alone?

I like both ideas - I think a link in the "Welcome" body to a stand-alone page explaining the "Why use this map?" part would be best....don't want the home page to get too crowded.

Is there a way to incorporate the instructions in the top bar of the page? Maybe that's the answer to what should go at top left rather than the tribal emblem (not sure if there's room though).

Everyone reading this should +rep teacherone for his fine work on this project. :)

teacherone
06-13-2011, 08:07 AM
added "Why use this Map" to the homepage.

added "Instructions" to the map page.

put both in lightboxes to save room and avoid clutter.

look ok?

MRoCkEd
06-13-2011, 08:28 AM
Woot!

ronpaulhawaii
06-13-2011, 08:47 AM
A tweet:

Relaunch of Freedom Atlas http://t.co/NMZ9pO3 (and plz add hastag #googleronpaul to join the #gop #twitterbomb for #liberty) @RonPaul

CaseyJones
06-13-2011, 10:18 AM
bump

malkusm
06-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Bump for those who haven't seen it :)

Thomas
06-13-2011, 03:55 PM
this is awesome!

malkusm
06-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Bump for views :)

Thomas
06-15-2011, 08:57 PM
this will be an excellent tool for contacting people for moneybombs, i'm gonna update Pennsylvania, who will take the other states?

malkusm
06-15-2011, 09:00 PM
this will be an excellent tool for contacting people for moneybombs, i'm gonna update Pennsylvania, who will take the other states?

I'm working on going through states and I'm posting it on the Facebook state pages once I'm finished. I've gone through alphabetically from Alabama to Hawaii, which are completely up to date and 100% accurate. If you want to take PA that would be a big help :)

tangent4ronpaul
06-16-2011, 03:47 AM
I'm working on going through states and I'm posting it on the Facebook state pages once I'm finished. I've gone through alphabetically from Alabama to Hawaii, which are completely up to date and 100% accurate. If you want to take PA that would be a big help :)

Are you just purging defunct groups or are you searching for and including new groups also?

teacherone
06-16-2011, 03:51 AM
malkusm - if you want a facebook like box on there let me know - this could help advertise and get more user input.

Elwar
06-16-2011, 05:42 AM
http://cdn2.screenjunkies.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/chang-slow-clap.gif

Well done!

malkusm
06-16-2011, 06:19 AM
Are you just purging defunct groups or are you searching for and including new groups also?

Both. Typically I'm adding more groups than I'm purging since a lot of new 2012 groups are emerging, which is good.

malkusm - if you want a facebook like box on there let me know - this could help advertise and get more user input.

Sure, if it's not too much work! :)

teacherone
06-16-2011, 06:32 AM
Both. Typically I'm adding more groups than I'm purging since a lot of new 2012 groups are emerging, which is good.

Sure, if it's not too much work! :)

there's two ways to do it:
1) a like button which likes a freedomatlas facebook page.
2) a like button which likes freedomatlas.org

which do you prefer?

Thomas
06-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Matt,

Are you adding the Facebook state pages to your map? What about the Armed Forces and National page?

Regarding the banner on the site. Why does it say Almanac and why is Mexico on it?

I think we should integrate as many social networks as we can onto the site. Can we merge this with RonPaulRides.com?

malkusm
06-25-2011, 03:14 PM
Bump for views and traffic :)

malkusm
06-26-2011, 08:04 PM
I've updated all states alphabetically through Oregon using Meetup. :)

Does anyone have other prominent group websites (similar to Meetup) that I could mine and add? I know of Google Groups and Yahoo! Groups....Facebook as well, but there's really no way to search on Facebook for groups in a particular state/area.

DirtMcGirt
06-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Malkusm, once again I want to say awesome job!!! One thing, when I clicked on my area the text explanation to the groups was cut off by the border. Really not a big deal but thought I would let you know.

EDIT:Never mind, All you have to do is slide the map over using the hand tool then full text is visible
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/218/freedomatlas13091423783.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/215/freedomatlas13091423783.png/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

jm1776
06-26-2011, 10:40 PM
Does anyone have other prominent group websites (similar to Meetup) that I could mine and add? I know of Google Groups and Yahoo! Groups....Facebook as well, but there's really no way to search on Facebook for groups in a particular state/area.

RLC state chapters?

http://www.rlc.org/about/chapters/

KCIndy
06-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Malkusm, this is great! I can't imagine how much hard work you must've put into this.

You deserve a zillion +Reps, and right now I'm out. :( But kudos, and thanks for a great Liberty tool!

malkusm
06-27-2011, 05:57 AM
RLC state chapters?

http://www.rlc.org/about/chapters/

Thanks for the idea! I think a lot of states have their RLC chapters as Meetups as well, but not all. I'll put this on the list of things to fill in. :)

teacherone
10-12-2011, 01:29 PM
would be a good idea to incorporate some sort of mass communication device where activists could simultaneously contact all the groups in a certain state or area.

people are doing that on meetup - but the atlas has more varied groups.

wonder how hard that would be...

teacherone
10-15-2011, 07:25 AM
^^^anybody got any ideas?

Keith and stuff
04-03-2012, 02:59 PM
I tried to add a bunch of meetups in NH to the website last month. They were never added. Then I noticed, the website is down this month. Is it gone for ever?

Uriah
04-03-2012, 03:18 PM
^^^yep, no work for me either

jdcole
04-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Just use Ron Paul Country, or any of the fifty billion other sites out there.

Maybe these website creators can get together on skype and come up with a seamless plan for these websites - we have so many different resources that do essentially the same thing - this creates confusion in the grassroots.

Case in point:
- I know people who have heard of Daily Paul, but not RPF.
- I know people who have heard of RPF, but not Daily Paul.
- I know people who have heard of both.
- I know people who have heard of neither.

It's cool if you, the RP supporter, have hard about both. It is merely okay if you have heard of one or the other (chances are you stumble across the other soon enough). It is the last one that is unacceptable. But where do we, the plugged-in RP supporter, point the new RP fan to? What direction do we lead them? Do we send them to Ron Paul Flix? WhyRonPaul.com? Here? DP? Ron Paul Country? Meetup? RevPac? Any of the multitude of Facebook pages? Ron Paul Radio?

I understand the need to decentralize some - all I am saying is that it adds confusion for the new supporters.