PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul's favorability a very close 2nd among announced candidates (CNN)

Galileo Galilei
06-12-2011, 09:16 AM
Ron Paul a very close 2nd to Romney in new CNN general election poll:

Romney + 10% (39% favorable - 29% unfavorable)
Ron Paul +8% (34% favorable - 26% unfavorable)
Cain +7% (17-10)
Bachmann +4% (28-24)
T-Paw +2% (20-18)
Huntsman +2% (13-11)
Santorum -4 (10-14)
Newt -14 (30-44)

Among independents, Ron beats Mitt.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/images/06/12/new.poll.pdf

sailingaway
06-12-2011, 09:19 AM
You are a scholar and a prince!

What's the opposite of 'shoot the messenger?'

trey4sports
06-12-2011, 09:21 AM
very nice, we really need to work on increasing our numbers with the GOP base though.

StilesBC
06-12-2011, 09:22 AM

+Rep

MRoCkEd
06-12-2011, 09:24 AM
It should be noted that this is favorability, rather than preferred candidate. Still good!

sailingaway
+Rep

done!

Galileo Galilei
Ron is losing a lot of votes because people think he is a weaker general election candidate, when he is actually the strongest.

JoshLowry
06-12-2011, 09:25 AM
What the fuck kind of title/honor is Businessman?

sailingaway
06-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Guiliani beats everyone at +25% I guess you left him out because he isn't in the race. Ron is only one point behind gross favorables of both Romney and Palin, though, and Palin's unfavorables are higher than her favorables.

sratiug
06-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Can someone point out where the poll results are in the poll results?

sailingaway
06-12-2011, 09:29 AM
What the fuck kind of title/honor is Businessman?

Per a tweet this morning, this kind: http://t.co/iVNxn9V

We already have more detail than this in the opposing candidate section, and a more thoughtful article is linked there, so I didn't add it. But the headline was catchy.

sailingaway
06-12-2011, 09:39 AM

Haven't gotten there, he's tied for 5th behind Cain for someone being 'like Reagan' on certain points, but I'm not sure that's the same as saying you want them for President....

34. Thinking about the following characteristics and qualities, please say whether you think it applies or
doesn't apply to Ron Paul (applies; does not apply: no opinion): (RANDOM ORDER)

Is qualified to be president 53% 36% 11%
Is not a typical politician 51% 39% 10%
Represents the values of Republicans like yourself 53% 36% 11%
Can beat Barack Obama in the general election
next November 27% 64% 10%
Generally agrees with you on issues you care about 56% 30% 13%
Is a strong and decisive leader 55% 34% 11%

trey4sports
06-12-2011, 09:49 AM
interesting.... on page 5, it shows the difference in Ron Pauls favorables and unfavorables from April 29 - May 1 and from June 3 - 7 and guess what?

His favorables have went up and his unfavorables went down. So what does this mean? It means that his comments about OBL and heroin legalization either are not known, are known but not hurting him, or people really dont care all that much.

Either way, its very good news IMO

angelatc
06-12-2011, 09:50 AM

+rep ?

TomtheTinker
06-12-2011, 10:05 AM

Well I think hugging the messanger may not be the exact opposite..but its close enough.

or you could always hump his leg.

tangent4ronpaul
06-12-2011, 10:05 AM
interesting.... on page 5, it shows the difference in Ron Pauls favorables and unfavorables from April 29 - May 1 and from June 3 - 7 and guess what?

His favorables have went up and his unfavorables went down. So what does this mean? It means that his comments about OBL and heroin legalization either are not known, are known but not hurting him, or people really dont care all that much.

I'll go for D - Are known and are helping him. Remember he got applause for his heroine comment.

tangent4ronpaul
06-12-2011, 10:06 AM

Must be a GOVERNMENT report... :)

Does it end with what they didn't cover and why a followup study should be funded to answer those questions?

-t

sailingaway
06-12-2011, 10:09 AM

The 'unknown's' went down and he got a net positive out of that, some went into 'not sure'

trey4sports
06-12-2011, 10:10 AM
I'll go for D - Are known and are helping him. Remember he got applause for his heroine comment.

Yeah, but the audience was packed full of Ron Paulers.

sailingaway
06-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Yeah, but the audience was packed full of Ron Paulers.

Not so as I understand it, the Ron Pauler's were mostly in the balcony. There were a bunch, but the general approval to the heroin comment wasn't mostly Ron Paulers.

Epic
06-12-2011, 10:21 AM
We need to focus on getting the message out that Ron Paul has polled as the best general election Republican candidate.

That is key. Republicans want a winner. They don't really care about issues.

Jake Ralston
06-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Must be a GOVERNMENT report... :)

Hmm this reminds me, did Rudy ever complete that homework assignment that was given to him by Dr. Paul?

KramerDSP
06-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Looking at the crosstabs down in the pdf file, it seems like there were no Republicans under the age of 50 polled. Bizarre. The message from this poll is that this group believes that Ron Paul, by far, has the worst chances against Barack Obama in a General Election, and that by a 3-to-1 ratio, they are more interested in having a candidate who can defeat Barack Obama in a generfal election over a candidate whose platform and policies they are most aligned with.

cheapseats
06-12-2011, 10:29 AM
We need to focus on getting the message out that Ron Paul has polled as the best general election Republican candidate.

That is key. Republicans want a winner. They don't really care about issues.

I dunno.

Republican VOTERS want a winner, but are you sure Republican POLITICIANS want a winner?

The economy will SUCK FOR YEARS yet. Are you sure Republicans don't want Obama to sit there and finish his peas? Four more years of joblessness and inflation, and people will scarcely remember Bush Inc. and Darth Cheney. It could herald as many as SIXTEEN consecutive years of a Republican in the White House.

It will be VERY convenient for the CONSCIENCELESS assholes of the Old Guard -- mainly WHITE GUYS, by the by -- who DID this to America and the world for THEIR fallout to continue landing on Democrats.

Or a woman.

R3volutionJedi
06-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Ron is losing a lot of votes because people think he is a weaker general election candidate, when he is actually the strongest.

We need to educate more people on it.

sailingaway
06-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Looking at the crosstabs down in the pdf file, it seems like there were no Republicans under the age of 50 polled. Bizarre. The message from this poll is that this group believes that Ron Paul, by far, has the worst chances against Barack Obama in a General Election, and that by a 3-to-1 ratio, they are more interested in having a candidate who can defeat Barack Obama in a generfal election over a candidate whose platform and policies they are most aligned with.

So we need to change that impression.

CNN is running an article saying Ron has the highest unfavorables, then Gingrich. The difference there is that Ron's are based on smears which are false and can be shown to be so, given enough money and exposure, whereas Gingrich is in a different situation.

Galileo Galilei
06-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Guiliani beats everyone at +25% I guess you left him out because he isn't in the race. Ron is only one point behind gross favorables of both Romney and Palin, though, and Palin's unfavorables are higher than her favorables.

Favorables and unfavorables are only accurate predictors among candidates who are running.

Galileo Galilei
06-12-2011, 11:52 AM

bingo!

Galileo Galilei
06-12-2011, 11:55 AM
We need to educate more people on it.

exactly. Part of the problem is that few pollsters are running Paul against Obama. Hmmm? And how many unreleased media polls are there?

BlackTerrel
06-12-2011, 11:57 AM

Wow. I'm surprised he would be that high.

trey4sports
06-12-2011, 12:12 PM
I would be curious to see how REPUBLICANS feel about Ron. If you look at the demographics 55% of the respondents identify with a positive view of the Democratic Party, whereas only forty something percent have a positive view of the GOP indicating a larger portion of Dems as opposed to GOP respondents.

Galileo Galilei
06-12-2011, 12:53 PM
I would be curious to see how REPUBLICANS feel about Ron. If you look at the demographics 55% of the respondents identify with a positive view of the Democratic Party, whereas only forty something percent have a positive view of the GOP indicating a larger portion of Dems as opposed to GOP respondents.

Ron Paul among republicans:

favorable; 50%
unfavorable; 23%

Among Independents:

favorable; 37%
unfavorable; 23%

Mitt Romney among republicans:

favorable; 64%
unfavorable; 19%

Among independents:

favorable; 39%
unfavorable; 27%

Tim Pawlenty's numbers are pathetic.

acptulsa
06-12-2011, 03:43 PM

So how do we get the word out?

Republican VOTERS want a winner, but are you sure Republican POLITICIANS want a winner?

The economy will SUCK FOR YEARS yet. Are you sure Republicans don't want Obama to sit there and finish his peas?

Of course this is what they want. Which is why they don't want us to get the word out.

They also don't want us to get the word out that with Ron Paul and a Congress that can be shamed into cooperating, the economy won't suck for years to come. But, I suppose we're better off not asking the older people (except in select cases) just why they're purposely tanking the economy.