PDA

View Full Version : How legitimate is this video? NIA "College Conspiracy"

FortisKID
06-11-2011, 10:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZtX32sKVE

Apparently it was made by this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Lebed

low preference guy
06-11-2011, 10:37 PM
inflation.us participates in pump and dump schemes but they create good videos to appease their consciences

FortisKID
06-11-2011, 10:43 PM
inflation.us participates in pump and dump schemes but they create good videos to appease their consciences

So can I trust this video? I'm currently facing the decision of whether or not I should go to college and so far this video has been a real eye opener.

low preference guy
06-11-2011, 10:46 PM
So can I trust this video? I'm currently facing the decision of whether or not I should go to college and so far this video has been a real eye opener.

yeah, it tells the truth. i'm watching it now, the first 12 minutes. still, i went to college and it was worth it for me (*). but the government definitely made it much worse. they talk about how everyone ends up in debt. some colleges put limits on how much you can get indebted. research carefully. do you know what you want to do for a living?

(*) ehhh... maybe not. i don't know what would've happened have i not gone to college.

low preference guy
06-11-2011, 10:52 PM
food for thought:

Sociology Major Graduates with $200,000 in Debt (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?271527-Sociology-Major-Graduates-with-200-000-in-Debt)

Carehn
06-11-2011, 10:56 PM

The only thing that will make this worth wile is to learn a trade. Be it plumbing or surgeon, some better then others based on how close to home and price. But if you can have a skill under the belt that you didn't pay ass loads for it will last you past any collapse and till your done working.

You should have a job when you go. Don't just go to school, work. Pay for shit you know.

specsaregood
06-11-2011, 11:06 PM

My usual recommendation is to seriously consider getting your AA at a community college first. They are inexpensive and you can get all the non major specific stuff out of your way without going deep into debt. Then after you are a bit older you can consider whether to transfer to a 4yr school. If you decide not to, you at least already have something to show for it (an AA degree). Whereas you could go to a 4yr school for 2-3.5 years and still not have anything official to show for it except debt.

KCIndy
06-11-2011, 11:25 PM

FortisKID, what are your interests? What are you considering studying? What are you really good at, and most important of all, what do you *enjoy* doing? Knowing these answers are important to the decision.

FortisKID
06-11-2011, 11:39 PM
FortisKID, what are your interests? What are you considering studying? What are you really good at, and most important of all, what do you *enjoy* doing? Knowing these answers are important to the decision.

I'm interested in history but I don't think I can make a profession with that. I'm fine with any job that doesn't involve dealing with people very often. I enjoy solitude. I really haven't been able figure out what what I want to do yet.

Vessol
06-11-2011, 11:43 PM
I'm interested in history but I don't think I can make a profession with that. I'm fine with any job that doesn't involve dealing with people very often. I enjoy solitude. I really haven't been able figure out what what I want to do yet.

You sound a lot like me.

I just finished my first year at a community college and I was going for a History degree. However, after a lot of studying and talking to my own history teacher, I found I really didn't want to get in such a stale and elitist community.

I'm currently in the process of changing to a Business degree. I'm very introverted as well, but I really do love economics and well, earning money.

FortisKID
06-11-2011, 11:55 PM
You sound a lot like me.

I just finished my first year at a community college and I was going for a History degree. However, after a lot of studying and talking to my own history teacher, I found I really didn't want to get in such a stale and elitist community.

I'm currently in the process of changing to a Business degree. I'm very introverted as well, but I really do love economics and well, earning money.

Yeah, business does sound like a good field to go into. I just wonder how the collapse is going to change things after I invest my time in a college.

Vessol
06-12-2011, 12:03 AM
Yeah, business does sound like a good field to go into. I just wonder how the collapse is going to change things after I invest my time in a college.

I'd say that anyone who has a head for economics will be of vital importance. Though not fully, a buisiness degree helps someone develop skills that would help them either start or assist with running a company. From determining costs, to maintaining employment, and all sorts of other skills.

ababba
06-12-2011, 12:06 AM
There is a truly enormous salary premium for those that attend college above those that attend only high school and that premium has been increasing substantially over time.

If you google "college education wage premium" you will see a bunch of links talking about different estimates from 25-100% for the premium of a college graduate over high school.

Honestly, if you have to take on 200K of debt, its still worth it to earn this premium. If you earn an extra 30K a year for your entire life at an interest rate of 5% the NPV is like 520K when you are just out of college.

The community college advice earlier in the thread is very reasonable though. You can get out with under 20K of debt if you do it right and apply for financial aid, even paying your own way.

ronpaulitician
06-12-2011, 12:39 AM
This would've been a lot better without the constant NIA hyping. I wouldn't necessarily trust the video, as it's low on facts and high on emotion.

I dropped out of college before really accumulating any debt. It dawned on me while sitting in class that I wasn't really learning anything. Far too many "well, that's obvious" teachings and far too few "huh, I hadn't really considered that" eye-openings.

Hard and smart work will likely see you surpass all those college graduates around you if they got one of those inflated "everyone's a winner" degrees.

iGGz
06-12-2011, 12:49 AM
You might as well go to college...

Avalon
06-12-2011, 01:00 AM
College wage premium information is dominated by the likes of college board, who are wholly disingenuous and provide no sources for their data. Averages instead of median income are used, no accounting is made for the family connections of college goers vs diploma holders, no accounting for the 4+ years of income/experience the college goer forgoes, no accounting for the taxes taken out of that premium, no accounting for LWOP or unemployment time (where both receive 0 income, no premium).
Personally, I think you need to figure out what you want to do before you decide what to study or even if you need to go. It seems you're unsure and if so, the best way is to jump in. If you're lucky, you'll find an industry you like and they'll pay for your college.

BTW, I think a business degree is about as worthless as history or sociology. If you're looking for something with good prospects, choose premed, nursing, engineering, or a technical profession.

libertybrewcity
06-12-2011, 01:00 AM

a lot of jobs now require degrees just because it is the "norm". go to a state school or something and get something that's practical. It can only help you.

libertybrewcity
06-12-2011, 01:06 AM
but don't listen to the video...

ababba
06-12-2011, 01:14 AM
College wage premium information is dominated by the likes of college board, who are wholly disingenuous and provide no sources for their data. Averages instead of median income are used, no accounting is made for the family connections of college goers vs diploma holders, no accounting for the 4+ years of income/experience the college goer forgoes, no accounting for the taxes taken out of that premium, no accounting for LWOP or unemployment time (where both receive 0 income, no premium).
Personally, I think you need to figure out what you want to do before you decide what to study or even if you need to go. It seems you're unsure and if so, the best way is to jump in. If you're lucky, you'll find an industry you like and they'll pay for your college.

BTW, I think a business degree is about as worthless as history or sociology. If you're looking for something with good prospects, choose premed, nursing, engineering, or a technical profession.

Umm, this is not even remotely close to true. Most of it is multiple regression analysis which is perfectly able to control for any observable variables and still finds a substantial college premium. It is dominated by academic economists that study labor economics. The data is Micro data on individual wage earners.

The point is that if the premium is something like 50%, the 4 years forgone and the 20K of average debt accumulated is trivial compared to the wage premium. The costs are off by more than an order of magnitude.

Kregisen
06-12-2011, 01:15 AM
if you're going for a music/history/art/social studies degree, you might as well drop out...those are the people who are 100k+ in debt out of college and for life, because a pizza can feed a family of 4, and they can't.

I'm going to school in-state double majoring in finance, supply chain management, with a minor in economics and a international business certificate. I'm also paying my way, with scholarship paying for most of it....if you can get through school with no debt you're solid.

in my opinion only worth going to school if you're going for engineering, business, science, etc...something that actually requires a degree.

Tuition costs have been skyrocketing though because there is a college bubble....because society has told people you MUST go to college, coupled with government student loans... There are plenty of high paying jobs that you can get with no college degree, and 40% of college graduates end up with a job that doesn't require a college degre.

Again, go to college if you plan to get a real degree, otherwise don't bother and go get some real life experience now while 40% of college grads go 100k in debt and get 30k a year jobs.

iGGz
06-12-2011, 01:34 AM

Every day I wish I would have gone into electrical engineering...

AJ Antimony
06-12-2011, 01:50 AM
I watched the video and thought it was ok...

My problem with it is that it makes it sound like attending college, for anybody and everybody, is worthless and will always result in debt.

This definitely isn't true.

If you're a high school slacker going to college with a bad GPA and SAT score, and then major in a program that shouldn't exist like dance, art, sociology, communications, etc., then the video is correct that you will get nothing out of college except heaping piles of debt.

However, if you worked hard in high school then colleges will offer you scholarships. Then since you have a brain, you'll major in something like math, sciences, engineering, etc. In this scenario, you'll get something out of college while NOT falling in debt.

So the video is wrong with its inference that everyone who goes to college will get nothing out of it but debt. Basically if you're the type of kid that belongs in college, then it won't be a problem for you. But if you're the type of kid who goes to college just for the parties and just to say he attended a university, then college will be a disaster.

Blueskies
06-12-2011, 01:59 AM
Business degrees are good if you earn them at a well-regarded school.

I went to Michigan, and the kids who get their bachelor's in business there graduate with nearly 6 figure starting salary jobs.

A business degree from a community college is basically toilet paper, however.

Its also completely fine to get a worthless degree like art, history, sociology etc. as long as you are prepared to go to graduate school right after graduation. If you are not willing to go to grad school, or do not have the grades, then most liberal arts degrees are a waste of time.

Blueskies
06-12-2011, 02:02 AM
The flow chart for college is pretty simple:

Were you a really good HS student? (Like GPA 3.5+, ACT 25+, SAT 1150+) If so, then go to the most prestigious school possible. Major in something that guarantees a career, or plan on grad school.

If you were a marginal HS student? Go to a community college and see how you do. If you are not able to do well, drop out and learn a skilled trade.

If you were a terrible HS student? Try to learn a skilled trade.

EDIT: Should also add that I highly recommend that people avoid the CC->transfer route unless they are a marginal student and are testing the waters to see if college is a good fit, or money is a major issue for whatever reason.

Simply put, college is an experience. Its much more than just book learning. Thats like 1/3 of it. The other 2/3 is social. Meeting people, building network groups, maturing as a human being, etc. You can do that if you transfer in, but it just isn't the same.

Plus, if you go to a college thats a good fit for your interests and you as a person, it can be the best four years of your life. Thats worth a lot. Its kind of hard to put a price tag on that.

But, people that are going to struggle in college, or purse a meaningless degree and not go to grad school, are wasting their time and shouldn't go. Nothing worse than taking on student loan debt and then dropping out before finishing.

A Son of Liberty
06-12-2011, 04:37 AM

Oh man, how I wish something like this forum was available to me 18 years ago, when I was you! :) You sound a lot like I did!

Good luck!

A Son of Liberty
06-12-2011, 04:38 AM
Every day I wish I would have gone into electrical engineering...

:thumbs: Civil, for me.

A Son of Liberty
06-12-2011, 04:45 AM

I agree, learning accounting, management skills, and business practices would be helpful. They key then is going to be having something to offer your community. I've always thought that running a little residential plumbing business would be fun.

specsaregood
06-12-2011, 06:42 AM
EDIT: Should also add that I highly recommend that people avoid the CC->transfer route unless they are a marginal student and are testing the waters to see if college is a good fit, or money is a major issue for whatever reason.

LOL. That right there represents why so many people come out of college with crushing debt. Money should always be considered a major issue, well at least in my book.

Simply put, college is an experience. Its much more than just book learning. Thats like 1/3 of it. The other 2/3 is social. Meeting people, building network groups, maturing as a human being, etc. You can do that if you transfer in, but it just isn't the same.

Ah yes, the let me reason away spending 6figures for an education I could have gotten much less inexpensively...well the parties were great!

Blueskies
06-12-2011, 09:55 AM
LOL. That right there represents why so many people come out of college with crushing debt. Money should always be considered a major issue, well at least in my book.

My education has a sticker value of close to 6 figures. My family paid less than 20% of that. I personally covered all the room and board and book expenses working during the summers. No one should be paying anything near the sticker price. There are so many grants, scholarships, investment programs, etc. that if you are actually spending 6 figures on your college education you are probably too stupid to actually complete the degree.

Ah yes, the let me reason away spending 6figures for an education I could have gotten much less inexpensively...well the parties were great!

What an incredibly ignorant statement.

I met people there unlike any I had known in my life. Unlike any I probably would've otherwise met staying in my hometown. Driven people, entrepreneurial people, liberty-minded people, people with family members on the Forbes 500, etc.

In life, its not what you know, its who you know. College is probably the best opportunity ever to meet like-minded, success driven people and build networks that will serve you forever.

If all you wanna do is party, you're not likely to make it past freshman year. The parties can be great, no doubt, but a weekend in Vegas is still better IMO.

mport1
06-12-2011, 10:01 AM
I'd avoid sending NIA any traffic. The organization is built around scamming people out of their money.

TheBlackPeterSchiff
06-12-2011, 10:06 AM

You should get into computers/programming/developing.

Sounds like your really not sure what you want to do. If I were you, I would spend a year or 2 trying different jobs, traveling, and figuring out what you want to do with your life before you jump into thousands of dollars in debt.

Chester Copperpot
06-12-2011, 10:31 AM
I dont listen nor watch anything NIA puts out...

Its just a trap to suck you in to gain your confidence so they can fuck you on the pump and dump..

Youre prob okay listening to them as long as it NEVER requires you buying anything

KCIndy
06-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Sounds like your really not sure what you want to do. If I were you, I would spend a year or 2 trying different jobs, traveling, and figuring out what you want to do with your life before you jump into thousands of dollars in debt.

Great advice, and I would second this. I wish someone had told me this before I wasted years of my life and a hell of a lot of cash attending a university. It never hurts to look around, sample the world and the job market and see what's out there. Learn on the job and from the advice of persons who are doing well and whom you respect, and then make a decision.

And regarding possible (probable!) harsh economic times to come? If nothing else, learn plumbing. No matter how bad the economy gets, people are still gonna have to use the bathroom! ;)

R3volutionJedi
06-12-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm in the same situation. I'm 16 and I watched this video a few days ago and I didn't know what to think. ... reply

IBleedNavyAndOrange
06-12-2011, 11:55 AM

That could have been a direct quote from me after high school.

Don't waste your time with a history degree. You're relying on the generosity of taxpayers for a paycheck if you do.

My personal experience is that an associates degree didn't help me a bit. I graduated in the top 10% of my class with a criminal justice degree and it was a time and money waste.

If you're planning on working in a shop or something just be prepared. There is no future. Sure you'll make what seems like decent money, but it really isn't. Im not saying that its a bad decision to toil in a shop all day, only that you could make better money working for yourself.

There are just too many fields of study that result in you working to make a better living for someone else than you make for yourself.

There is a lot of great advice in this thread, but ultimately the world is what you make it.

If you want to be successful YOU have to make it happen.

AFPVet
06-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Having recently graduated from a big 10 university, I can tell you that a bachelors degree anymore is devalued... but required for most decent paying jobs. Furthermore, experience is also required... making it difficult for a recent 'pipeline' graduate to find work.

Education inflation is a serious problem right now. The once mighty bachelors degree is now pretty much equivalent to the 'new High School Diploma'. The only way to stop education inflation is by pushing 'non traditional' programs like technical certificates and associates degrees.

Finally, the costs associated with higher education can be extreme... with many states pulling funding to universities, this only creates more problems. For many, military service has become a popular way to pay for school—while others have found ways of using aid such as pell grants. One thing is for sure... this film raises real issues which must be remedied.

heavenlyboy34
06-12-2011, 12:51 PM
if you're going for a music/history/art/social studies degree, you might as well drop out...those are the people who are 100k+ in debt out of college and for life, because a pizza can feed a family of 4, and they can't.

Depends. There are degrees in music and art geared toward commercial application (such as graphic design). Plus, if you go on to graduate school in any of those fields, it's relatively easy to find a teaching position. However, there are plenty of alternatives in these fields, like Art Institute. It all depends on what your career goal is.

heavenlyboy34
06-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Having recently graduated from a big 10 university, I can tell you that a bachelors degree anymore is devalued... but required for most decent paying jobs. Furthermore, experience is also required... making it difficult for a recent 'pipeline' graduate to find work.

Education inflation is a serious problem right now. The once mighty bachelors degree is now pretty much equivalent to the 'new High School Diploma'. The only way to stop education inflation is by pushing 'non traditional' programs like technical certificates and associates degrees.

Finally, the costs associated with higher education can be extreme... with many states pulling funding to universities, this only creates more problems. For many, military service has become a popular way to pay for school—while others have found ways of using aid such as pell grants. One thing is for sure... this film raises real issues which must be remedied.

qft!!

amonasro
06-12-2011, 12:58 PM
You guys are right. College can be a tremendous waste of time and money. Or it can be an unparalleled experience studying something you're good at or passionate about and meet invaluable contacts/connections/friends you will use for the rest of your life to better your status. This is an investment in your entire future so treat it seriously. Bet big and win big as they say.

If you know what you want to do (or have a general area of interest) go to college. A good college. Don't go to Western/Central/Eastern State University and major in "undecided" just because your friends are doing it or it's close to home. Don't even look at community college or online colleges--they are a waste. If an employer has to choose between a resume that lists community college and a well-known state school with a strong program in xyx, they will choose the state school every time. Every time. Online colleges are laughable in the professional world. If you can only get into a community college and a decent state school won't take you, you might want to consider learning a trade that doesn't require a degree.

Set you sights high. Study for the ACT/SAT and score as high as you can. If you can get into a school like Yale, go to Yale even if it costs more. Potential employers, as stupid as this sounds, will see Yale on your resume and you get the interview over the guy who went to Eastern State. If you get a higher paying job as a result, it leads to higher paying jobs and better opportunities in the future, making the additional cost worth it in the long run. And God knows you'll meet better connections and get better opportunities at Yale than a no-name state school. And if you end up hating it after a year, quit and you won't be that much worse off. At least you can say you tried.

Contrary to popular belief, not all colleges are not full of crappy, lazy professors who are overpaid and spend luxurious trips overseas on the colleges' dime. Your job as a student is to find out which ones aren't. Good colleges create an excellent environment for learning with plenty of experts/former experts in the field to learn from. And once you have that piece of paper and expertise in a degree that means something, suddenly you are way ahead of your competition. But that degree gets you only half way, and it's no guarantee. In that way, it is a gamble.

Here's the thing about debt. Borrow only enough to pay tuition and possibly some housing. Get a part time job during school to feed yourself and work in the summer to save. Don't take out an additional $10K to live in a sweet apartment with no job, or take a year off to relax, or go part time because you're lazy. Save save save. Go full time and graduate ASAP. Get as many private scholarships as you can. Try to stick to the Federal Loans as they have lower interest, flexible repayment plans and only let you borrow so much per year. Parent loans are also good if they will co-sign.

I don't believe these horror stories of a sociology major accumulating $200K of debt. That's just irresponsible. Did she go to college for 8 years? News flash: People who go to college for that long are called DOCTORS. Federal Stafford loans only allow you to borrow $5500-$7500 per year anyway. She probably got deep into private loans which are a BAD idea.

Let's just say that the complaint stories that you hear are written by students who chose their schools poorly, didn't work hard enough to get scholarships or just aren't cut out for college. The success stories don't complain because they have good-paying jobs with better things to do than write about it on the internet.

Here's my story. I went to a decent state school for music. I had a small talent scholarship but I did take out loans to cover the rest. I wanted to be a music teacher. I worked/practiced damn hard for 4 years and got into one of the top music conservatories in the country for my graduate work in performance, and they gave me full tuition. (The good grad programs usually give out big money for talent.) Suddenly I was in the music big leagues with amazing contacts, teachers, money and support.

I wouldn't be anywhere close to having the career had I not gone to college. I need that conservatory "gold stamp" on my resume so I get auditions. It means I'm a known quantity. It means I'm good, because I am. That big conservatory allowed me to learn from some of the best teachers in the country. I make decent money, met a beautiful woman whom I married, (and she is successful because of her contacts and experience from college) and we're going to start a family soon. I have around $30K in student loan debt and my payment is $250 a month, a small price to pay for getting to do what I love and get paid for it.

My point is that college does give you an edge if you choose wisely, have the right guidance and work hard to make that degree work for you. In many ways the recession has increased the number of collegiate hopefuls (who think they can get a "leg up" with a degree) when in reality they were never college material in the first place. They just want "free" school for so they don't have to work for 4 years.

heavenlyboy34
06-12-2011, 01:07 PM
He has some good points^^. However, if you do your first few years at a community college and transfer (what I did before a number of unforeseeable complications and incompetent guidance counselors forced me to drop out into a cheaper program), you'll save a lot of money. Definitely avoid Sallie Mae loans, btw. They're a terrible company, in my experience.

amonasro
06-12-2011, 01:10 PM
He has some good points^^. However, if you do your first few years at a community college and transfer (what I did before a number of unforeseeable complications and incompetent guidance counselors forced me to drop out into a cheaper program), you'll save a lot of money.

I agree it's a cheaper option to get general classes out of the way. However I've seen too many people get caught up in community college without direction and simply drop out. You can also lose out on the overall experience that some colleges offer.

Blueskies
06-12-2011, 01:14 PM
amonasro's post was one of the best I've ever seen on the subject. Two thumbs way up to that guy.

Ultimately, college is what you make of it. It's good for some people, terrible for others. And it is by no means a free meal ticket. Nothing in life is. It can help you tremendously if you use the tools it makes available to you.

eOs
06-12-2011, 01:14 PM
As bad as it is, college is still the right path to take for education and the possibility of a good job. We will see it change soon enough, with the likes similar of the khan academy and other institutions offering better, free and accredited teachings via the internet. There will be bloo..err bubbles.

Suzu
06-12-2011, 01:23 PM

You sound a lot like me, too. I put off college for a year after high school to work full time and save money (living with parents, still under 18) and because I had no idea what I wanted to study. I left Detroit the day I turned 18. When I hit 21, I decided I wanted to study linguistics, and I've been enrolled at 3 different universities but could never quite bring myself to attend classes. I just hate sitting under fluorescent lighting that much.... But I'm sorry I didn't follow through on the last university - UBC in Vancouver - where I had a full scholarship.

AFPVet
06-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Depends. There are degrees in music and art geared toward commercial application (such as graphic design). Plus, if you go on to graduate school in any of those fields, it's relatively easy to find a teaching position. However, there are plenty of alternatives in these fields, like Art Institute. It all depends on what your career goal is.

Degrees in music technology can get you some mad coin if you go into areas like pro sound/recording or even sales.

Zippyjuan
06-13-2011, 11:57 AM
College is not a guarantee to a higher income, but unless you are lucky, not having one is almost a guarantee to a lower salary. It is simply more competitive in the labor market these days and you need all the skills and advantages you can get.

Schifference
06-13-2011, 02:02 PM
The bigger they are the harder they fall. If one were smart they would make as much money as possible while spending as little as possible. The trap is that once you have a large income your expenses go up and absorb all the earned income. When you find yourself out of work for whatever reason it is impossible to survive. The best scenario is to spend little and live the lifestyle of a person with a meager income. Don't buy on credit. Shy away from purchasing the newest latest or greatest.

TheeJoeGlass
06-13-2011, 02:08 PM

Never "trust" videos on the net. Research it, do not borrow money for college unless it is a small amount. Do not go to college for silly things like graphic design or furniture design. Make sure you can get a good paying job by actually shadowing people in that field.

Bigvick
06-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Great video :p

I never went to college I always thought forced Government education was a waste(K-12) and I was not about to waste 4 more years of life siting in a college, instead after I graduated High School I started numerous small business on the internet(domain flipping, proxy servers, SEO consulting, e-currency exchanges,ect) eventually I was making enough money to support myself and start to fund a Stock Account and after awhile I was eventually able to daytrade full time and still do to this day.

Would not change a thing. I never understood college and the mentality of people who want to go in massive debt just to go work for someone else for their entire lives :rolleyes:, maybe just maybe I could see it when college was actually affordable 20-30 years ago but in today's age it is beyond a joke.

Zippyjuan
06-13-2011, 03:20 PM
NIA likes to over-hype things. They aren't exactly a reliable source of information. They were also guilty of pump and dump stock schemes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYOclEsKHtc

specsaregood
06-13-2011, 03:25 PM
College is not a guarantee to a higher income, but unless you are lucky, not having one is almost a guarantee to a lower salary.

Lucky OR self-employed. I never had a customer ask to see my degrees.

amonasro
06-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Degrees in music technology can get you some mad coin if you go into areas like pro sound/recording or even sales.

Degrees in classical music performance can be very lucrative IF you are really talented and are willing to spend half of your life in a practice room.

For instance, full time positions in the bigger symphonies usually start at around $80-90k. Cleveland Symphony is at at least $110k. Large opera houses pay good singers between $5,000 and $10,000 per performance, depending on the size of the role and how good their manager is. A friend of mine was making $550 per night for a 10 second walk-on role, plus he was in the chorus so he got to double-dip, so to speak.

Matthew Zak
06-13-2011, 04:35 PM
My life would be much better had I never gone to college. I can't even tell you how much better it would be.

dannno
06-13-2011, 04:41 PM

Did you see the South Park episode about the Crack Baby Athletic Association?

low preference guy
06-13-2011, 04:41 PM

yeah

iGGz
06-13-2011, 05:16 PM

http://xepisodes.com/

FortisKID
06-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Great video :p

I never went to college I always thought forced Government education was a waste(K-12) and I was not about to waste 4 more years of life siting in a college, instead after I graduated High School I started numerous small business on the internet(domain flipping, proxy servers, SEO consulting, e-currency exchanges,ect) eventually I was making enough money to support myself and start to fund a Stock Account and after awhile I was eventually able to daytrade full time and still do to this day.

Would not change a thing. I never understood college and the mentality of people who want to go in massive debt just to go work for someone else for their entire lives :rolleyes:, maybe just maybe I could see it when college was actually affordable 20-30 years ago but in today's age it is beyond a joke.

It sounds like you're living the life lol. Where can I learn how to do these things? xD

VoluntaryAmerican
06-15-2011, 08:57 PM
I am currently debating the same problem. To goto a 4 year college or not. (I currently have a 2 year degree).

First to the videos credibility-- I watched it before and google searched it and some claim the NIA is not very credible.

I believe the question can be answered if you decide what you want to do for a living. If you want to be a doctor, lawyer, teacher *barf*something along those lines-- a degree is mandatory. If you want to be an entrepenur, artist, writer, etc... degrees (argueably) are a waste of time with the cost added in, because you can build a resume doing these things on your own... reading trade magaznes, library books, and through grit and determination build yourself a carear.

I fall into the later, I consider myself a journalist, I have been published in Op-ed columns local and nearby city newspapers... and I did this with an Associates degree in communication... But really all I needed was 3 journalism classes--the math and other classes were a complete waste of time and money. I am building my resume and soon will hopefully get a job with it.

Two years toward an associates degree will only cost you a few thousand dollars and the knowledge you can attain from it can pay off.

In summary.

Education is a good thing--becoming 100k dollars in debt for a degree is not.

Weigh the pros and cons, decide what you want to do for a living and see from there. Either way, getting a degree, or not getting one, both are a risk... your determination, skill, and intelligence, may determine if you succeed in either scenario.

anaconda
11-14-2011, 05:59 PM
You sound a lot like me.

Econ is a far superior degree to business (in terms of intellectual content) in my humble opinion. You can always take a few accounting courses, or an elective marketing class or something if you feel compelled. Mathematics is terrific too. Physics is an awesome degree too. Don't forget you can always get a masters degree to fill in other needs or interests. And remember that the masters degree absolutely does not need to be in the same subject that you majored in.

Becker
11-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Lucky OR self-employed. I never had a customer ask to see my degrees.

what industry do you work in?

Becker
11-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Degrees in classical music performance can be very lucrative IF you are really talented and are willing to spend half of your life in a practice room.

For instance, full time positions in the bigger symphonies usually start at around $80-90k. Cleveland Symphony is at at least $110k. Large opera houses pay good singers between $5,000 and $10,000 per performance, depending on the size of the role and how good their manager is. A friend of mine was making $550 per night for a 10 second walk-on role, plus he was in the chorus so he got to double-dip, so to speak.

and the people who make it that far are as rare as those who make it in professional sports, is that a fair comparison?

InTradePro
11-14-2011, 07:44 PM
Gerald Celente speaks truth. Not sure that answers any questions raised. To many college education is going to make you think in a limiting way, gain a lot of mostly false out of date information while running up a debate.

Zippyjuan
11-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Econ is a far superior degree to business (in terms of intellectual content) in my humble opinion. You can always take a few accounting courses, or an elective marketing class or something if you feel compelled. Mathematics is terrific too. Physics is an awesome degree too. Don't forget you can always get a masters degree to fill in other needs or interests. And remember that the masters degree absolutely does not need to be in the same subject that you majored in.

If you want to use your econ degree, you pretty much need an advanced degree. Taking business to supplement it is certainly a good thing (I have a degree in econ and one in Political Science).