PDA

View Full Version : Convincing democratic friend?

kutibah
10-29-2007, 09:21 PM
My friend was pro-Ron Paul. He is a democrat, and now he notices that Ron Paul supports gun ownership and wants to let the free market fix Global Warming. He says that these certain conservatist issues are enough for him not to vote for Ron Paul. Any ideas how to change his mind? Also, he keeps saying Ron Paul's excuse of leaving issues such as abortion up to the states is simply a cover to get more votes.

klamath
10-29-2007, 09:31 PM
My friend was pro-Ron Paul. He is a democrat, and now he notices that Ron Paul supports gun ownership and wants to let the free market fix Global Warming. He says that these certain conservatist issues are enough for him not to vote for Ron Paul. Any ideas how to change his mind?

If he feels so strongly about those issues then he probably won't vote for RP however if you could talk to him in depth on these issues and find out why he he believes guns should be banned and why we should get a government crusade against Global warming in the same manner we have a government crusade against terror, you might be able to change his mind on how to address these issues.

Bradley in DC
10-29-2007, 09:33 PM
He supports Dean's position on guns :D

kylejack
10-29-2007, 09:34 PM
He supports Dean's position on guns :D
I are confused.

bbachtung
10-29-2007, 09:54 PM
Does your friend support the 1st Amendment (freedom of speech)? How does your friend feel about the 4th Amendment (right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures)?

Your friend needs to understand that you don't get to pick-and-choose which parts of the Constitution that you like; if you don't like a part of the Constitution, the answer is not to ignore it and pass laws anyway, the answer is to amend it.

If staying at war in Iraq and going to war with Iran are that important to your friend, then you will never win the person over. If RP's demonstrated commitment to peace and civil liberties (he has consistently opposed the "PATRIOT" Act, one month after 9/11 and the renewal of it -- which Obama supported) is not enough to overcome your friend's support for disarming his fellow citizens, then, again, you are wasting your time trying to convert him.

Oddly enough (or perhaps predictably), the people who are most often disarmed are minorities and the poor -- witness the gun confiscations in New Orleans post-Katrina and the banning of guns in Chicago, New York City, and Washington, D.C. -- while the white, rich, and politically-connected get granted "permits" and are excepted from gun-grabbing (like anti-gun California Senate president pro tem Don Perata (http://www.nrawinningteam.com/calnra/perata/) who has regularly retained a concealed handgun permit -- a rare accomplishment in California -- because he thinks that pro-gun opponents of his gun control legislation might try to harm him and anti-gun).

Just have your friend read the following article about the racist origins of most anti-gun laws: http://www.stopsanfranban.com/AtStake/AdditionalReadingDetail.aspx?T=1&ID=137

bbachtung
10-29-2007, 09:56 PM
I are confused.

Dean is pro-gun and was the governor of Vermont, the only state in which a person does not need a "permit" or "license" to carry a gun concealed.

kylejack
10-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Dean is pro-gun and was the governor of Vermont, the only state in which a person does not need a "permit" or "license" to carry a gun concealed.

I know...So why would his friend be endorsing the Dean position?

bbachtung
10-29-2007, 10:03 PM
I know...So why would his friend be endorsing the Dean position?

I think the he that Bradley was referring to was Ron Paul.

Kregener
10-29-2007, 10:03 PM
If your friend is so blind as to actually want to do away with the 2nd Amendment, he may not be savable.

kutibah
10-29-2007, 10:08 PM
He keeps insisting that a democratic candidate will restore our constitutional rights (I disagree).

kylejack
10-29-2007, 10:11 PM
He keeps insisting that a democratic candidate will restore our constitutional rights (I disagree).
Uh... hm. So... why does he oppose the right to bear arms? Hillary voted for the PATRIOT Act, and the extension. Barack Obama wasn't in the Senate yet for the original PATRIOT Act vote, but voted for the extension.

kutibah
10-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Uh... hm. So... why does he oppose the right to bear arms? Hillary voted for the PATRIOT Act, and the extension. Barack Obama wasn't in the Senate yet for the original PATRIOT Act vote, but voted for the extension.

Good point...Let me bring that up :D