PDA

View Full Version : Will Nolan Ryan endorse Ron Paul?

The Dark Knight
06-11-2011, 04:40 PM
I heard that Nolan Ryan is a friend of Ron, I think it would be great to get an endorsement from Nolan Ryan. It would appeal to some of the older voters that remember Ryan's pitching days.

brandon
06-11-2011, 04:41 PM
From my understanding, Ryan was an essential part of Paul getting reelected to congress in the 90s. I don't think Ryan is really all that political anymore though. Really not sure though.

btw I'm only 27 and I remember his pitching days.

Son of Detroit
06-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Luke Scott of the Baltimore Orioles is a RP supporter if I remember correctly.

Cowlesy
06-11-2011, 05:01 PM
I think Ryan still is in politics, but I think after 9/11 he's diverged from Ron on foreign policy (that's my wild guess).

ChrisDixon
06-11-2011, 05:02 PM
I heard that Nolan Ryan is a friend of Ron, I think it would be great to get an endorsement from Nolan Ryan. It would appeal to some of the older voters that remember Ryan's pitching days.

Getting a pitching legend and owner of a MLB team to endorse Ron would be awesome. Somebody should contact him about it. Worst comes to worst, he says no. But he has helped Ron out a lot in the past.

Luke Scott of the Baltimore Orioles is a RP supporter if I remember correctly.

I know he's a birther, but I wasn't aware he was a RP supporter. That'd be cool if he was.

RonPaulVolunteer
06-11-2011, 05:03 PM
Endorse Ron Paul yourself, film, it, submit it to Ron Paul Flix, get free cards to promote it.

Cleaner44
06-11-2011, 05:50 PM
I found current contact info for Nolan Ryan and this old thread:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?5383-Nolan-Ryan-support-for-the-Election-of-Ron-Paul

Sola_Fide
06-11-2011, 06:10 PM
I used to be a huge Texas Rangers baseball fan. Loved Ryan and Ruben Sierra back in the day. Sierra was the first guy to hit a home run both lefty and righty in one game.

trey4sports
06-11-2011, 06:12 PM
yeah itd be cool, but endorsements dont carry a ton of weight. Unless its Oprah :p

Son of Detroit
06-11-2011, 06:14 PM
I used to be a huge Texas Rangers baseball fan. Loved Ryan and Ruben Sierra back in the day. Sierra was the first guy to hit a home run both lefty and righty in one game.

Sorry, but your baseball history is a little off!

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/feats20.shtml

I knew Mantle had to have done it, and it turns out he wasn't even the first.

Jim Casey
06-11-2011, 06:20 PM
It all depends upon whether or not a Ron Paul endorsement would have a bullish or a bearish effect on the Nolan Ryan baseball card market.

Feeding the Abscess
06-11-2011, 06:34 PM

Mickey Mantle did it in 1955. I think that was the first documented case of it happening.

EDIT: beaten to the punch, and I was wrong anyway lol.

No1ButPaul08
06-11-2011, 07:00 PM
I think Ryan still is in politics, but I think after 9/11 he's diverged from Ron on foreign policy (that's my wild guess).

Are you sure he's still active in politics? He is now managing owner and the face of the Texas Rangers. Seems like he wouldn't want to be political in that position.

libertarian4321
06-13-2011, 12:24 AM
yeah itd be cool, but endorsements dont carry a ton of weight. Unless its Oprah :p

Agreed.

Lets say you find some retired athlete to endorse Ron Paul.

What's he going to do, hold a press conference?

It's not like long retired athletes are going to have the press flocking to them to hear their opinion on politics.

Same goes with obscure athletes (Luke Whoever). Unless he wears a "Ron Paul 2012" sign on his uniform, his "endorsement" is not worth a whole lot.

If you get a major CURRENT athlete to endorse (and I mean a MAJOR athlete, someone who is a household name, not a mediocre utility player on a bad team), it may be worth something.

Sola_Fide
06-13-2011, 12:41 AM
Sorry, but your baseball history is a little off!

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/feats20.shtml

I knew Mantle had to have done it, and it turns out he wasn't even the first.

Ahhh! I swear it said that on the back of one his cards once:(