PDA

View Full Version : Club for Growth poll

johnscr
10-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Given Ron Paul's strict adherence to the Constitution, is it hypocritical that he asks for pork projects?

http://www.clubforgrowth.org/2007/10/ron_paul_poll.php

I for one accept Ron Paul's explanation that he has a responsibility to represent his constituents as well as a responsibility to adhere to the constitution. He submits the earmark requests to the relevant committee; if a bill comes out of committee he votes against it.

Realize also, that while pork projects are a problem, they are a very small part of the overall federal budget.

fcofer
10-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Currently 56% hypocritical in the poll.

I don't know if I would recommend anyone visiting the poll or not. We don't want to look like a robot army, and the guy is unfortunately asking a legitimate question.

I am of the opinion that, unfortunately, it is a little hypocritical to him to compete for earmarks, which, according to Ron Paul's own jurisprudence, are probably unconstitutional. I appreciate that he tries to rehabilitate it by voting against the appropriations themselves. I am also respectful of the political necessity for doing so -- I'd rather have RP + earmarks than a "more perfect" Ron Paul who was not a Congressman.

Of course, the media reporting on this is ridiculous. Paul is still thousands of times more principled on spending than any other member of Congress. Complaining about Ron Paul's earmarks in the same league as the other tax & spenders is like comparing jaywalking to rape.

Nevertheless, I decided not to vote in the poll (to do so would be hypocritical). ;)

DrNoZone
10-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Currently 56% hypocritical in the poll.

I don't know if I would recommend anyone visiting the poll or not. We don't want to look like a robot army, and the guy is unfortunately asking a legitimate question.

I am of the opinion that, unfortunately, it is a little hypocritical to him to compete for earmarks, which, according to Ron Paul's own jurisprudence, are probably unconstitutional. I appreciate that he tries to rehabilitate it by voting against the appropriations themselves. I am also respectful of the political necessity for doing so -- I'd rather have RP + earmarks than a "more perfect" Ron Paul who was not a Congressman.

Of course, the media reporting on this is ridiculous. Paul is still thousands of times more principled on spending than any other member of Congress. Complaining about Ron Paul's earmarks in the same league as the other tax & spenders is like comparing jaywalking to rape.

Nevertheless, I decided not to vote in the poll (to do so would be hypocritical). ;)

It's not hypocritical. Him earmarking is simply saying "the funds are going to be used, me not earmarking for my district isn't going to STOP earmarks." If he wants to STOP earmarks, he has to vote against them, which is exactly what he does.

freedominnumbers
10-29-2007, 09:17 PM
I say NO as long as he votes against the spending bill. The key being that no additional funds are being spent by his earmarks.

dspectre
10-29-2007, 09:23 PM
You know why that poll is lousy?

Because the deck is already stacked against Paul. It assumes that what he is doing is hypocritical without a real argument.

Just a side note, why haven't I seen a poll on any other candidate being hypocritical?

I can understand why someone may not like what Paul is doing, but I think Paul believes he is sticking to his principles. I agree with him on this issue. If you take away the earmarks you don't know where the money is going or what is happening. So, why do you think these people who cry about earmarks want them taken away? Taking away the earmarks is not going to stop these people from spending money needlessly.

Just ignore this poll.

fcofer
10-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Just ignore this poll.

Total agreement with you there.

quickmike
10-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Ok, look at it this way. Lets say the government takes $4,000.00 of your money and has a vote on how its spent. Everyone in the country gets a vote on how your $4,000.00 is spent. How would you vote? Would you vote to give it to someone else, or would you vote for it to go back to you in the form of new roads for your town?

Pretty simple answer if you ask me. This is exactly what earmarks are. Its just getting your money back that the government has taken from you. Whats important is that Ron Paul always votes no to taking the money from you in the first place, which is the important thing, and since they decide to take it anyway, you might as well ask for it back.

What is so hard to understand about this?

ThePieSwindler
10-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Yeah i mean, hes such a piece of shit! Hes like, one of the only few congressman who is transparent and out-in-the-open about his earmarks. We should of course attack him for this vital issue! (even if its a non-issue and i am in complete agreement with his explanation.) Why don't they have a poll like this about Fred Thompson, who did essentially the same thing, or John McCain, who bitches about pork barrel projects only because hes a senator - if he were a rep, im sure he'd forward them all the time. They keep calling him a "dreamer" and that he "lives in a dream world". They are generally a decent group, but... this is sort of annoying.. although they really do give Paul his due on his "excellent record" in most cases.

traviskicks
10-29-2007, 10:24 PM
Given Ron Paul's strict adherence to the Constitution, is it hypocritical that he asks for pork projects?

http://www.clubforgrowth.org/2007/10/ron_paul_poll.php

I for one accept Ron Paul's explanation that he has a responsibility to represent his constituents as well as a responsibility to adhere to the constitution. He submits the earmark requests to the relevant committee; if a bill comes out of committee he votes against it.

Realize also, that while pork projects are a problem, they are a very small part of the overall federal budget.

I voted yes, it is hypocritical of him. I love the guy, but when he's wrong he's wrong.

bbachtung
10-29-2007, 10:28 PM
I voted yes, it is hypocritical of him. I love the guy, but when he's wrong he's wrong.

So, what you're saying is that you might not always agree with him but you know where he stands?

theseus51
10-30-2007, 01:35 AM
Ron Paul said that if he doesn't do earmarks, the money gets spent by the executive branch. Also, it's like he's against social security, but if his constituents ask for their social security check, he's going to try help them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWTyHbGcUQY

It's a biased poll anyway. Why not have a poll for Giuliani, "Knowing the command center was put in the worst place possible, and was only there cause Giuliani was getting kickbacks from Larry Silverstein to rent his WTC building, should Giuliani have put the command center in WTC?" Yes/No

traviskicks
10-30-2007, 10:58 AM
So, what you're saying is that you might not always agree with him but you know where he stands?

yea and also, i doubt any given one of us agree with paul on all our issues. We all pick him because he is the best candidate overall. If anyone finds themselves agreeing with Paul on 100% of the time then I'd think one should do some self reflection. It is about the message, not the man. We need to remain free thinkers ourselves without getting too emotionally attached to the candidate, IMO.

DaronWestbrooke
10-30-2007, 11:07 AM
Warning, running a macro doesn't seem to work on this poll. They swap the order of choices.