PDA

View Full Version : TN - Police dog escapes, bites woman, is shot dead by dog catcher.

Anti Federalist
06-10-2011, 10:24 PM
So the cop dog gets out of his kennel, attacks a woman and sends her to the hospital and is subsequently shot when apparently getting ready to attack the dogcatcher.

Now, here's the rub, the dogcatcher didn't know it was a cop dog.

That's what is, to me anyway, infuriating about this comment from the head dogcatcher, (I'm sorry, I refuse to call these people "officers". Everybody with a government title these days is an "officer") a woman named Becky Crumley:

When the dog approached an officer, animal control made the decision to shoot it. Campbell County Animal Control said it was not aware a Knoxville Police Department K9 was living in the county. Crumley said she wish she knew earlier.

"We could have called the handler of that dog and prevented the outcome."

Now, here we have a large, obviously vicious, having already sent one woman to the hospital, dog, that was acting in an "aggressive manner" and got shot, but the county bureaucracy in place to deal with just such animals is backpedaling over it's action, the shooting of an "anointed dog", an "officer".

Think your family dog would get the same consideration, in similar circumstances?

Animal control officer says K9 was killed because of aggression

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/172513/2/Animal-control-officer-says-K9-was-killed-because-of-aggression

Video at link

A supervisor with Campbell County Animal Control says that a Knoxville Police Department K9 was being aggressive and ran toward an officer before he was shot.

They were called to the home in the Bluff Trace area of Caryville after 3:30 on Thursday, on a dog bite.

KPD says K9 Elko got out of his kennel when it was turned over in a storm and bit a neighbor. Campbell Co. Animal Control says the woman was bit on her right shoulder.

When the animal control officer arrived on the scene, Campbell County deputies were already there. They said the dog approached them differently than a normal dog would.

"This [the situation] is a little more aggressive than normal," said Campbell County animal control supervisor Becky Crumley.

When the dog approached an officer, animal control made the decision to shoot it. Campbell County Animal Control said it was not aware a Knoxville Police Department K9 was living in the county. Crumley said she wish she knew earlier.

"We could have called the handler of that dog and prevented the outcome."

heavenlyboy34
06-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Think your family dog would get the same consideration, in similar circumstances?

Not likely. I've seen vids of cops shooting tiny breeds of dogs for no apparent reason. :( :mad:

Anti Federalist
06-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Not likely. I've seen vids of cops shooting tiny breeds of dogs for no apparent reason. :( :mad:

No, not at all.

Purely rhetorical question, that most of us already know the answer to.

acptulsa
06-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Did the dog have a warrant?

Seriously, though, I remember a time when dogs this agressive didn't make the cut. I don't know if they just don't maintain the standards they used to, now that they're not feeling the need to sell a new program to us, or if they just want their dogs to be as macho as the pit bulls in the 'hood. But the fact remains that once upon a time, a dog that couldn't be introduced to a kindergarten class couldn't work for a police department.

heavenlyboy34
06-10-2011, 11:18 PM
No, not at all.

Purely rhetorical question, that most of us already know the answer to.

Cool. Sometimes I feel compelled to answer rhetorical questions because of their gravity.

daviddee
06-11-2011, 12:10 AM

Vessol
06-11-2011, 12:29 AM
They should offer the dogcatcher a job, clearly he shows potential for police work!