PDA

View Full Version : Undeclared candidates at debates

1000-points-of-fright
06-10-2011, 02:51 PM
I know CNN is a private company and they can can invite anyone they want to be on their network, but is this the first time that undeclared candidates have been in a debate?

I can understand (although don't agree with) excluding a candidate with extremely low poll numbers. But I don't understand including people who haven't even decided if they're running. It's like CNN is basically saying "these are the people we want to run because it'll make interesting TV". Why don't they invite Christopher Walken? He's undeclared and would make interesting TV too.

JamesButabi
06-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Imagine is RP called them out on it and backed up Gary. That would be a pretty big statement to make.

FreedomProsperityPeace
06-10-2011, 03:27 PM
I think it's unfair to include Bachmann and to leave out Gary Johnson. IMO, Bachmann doesn't have any better chance than Gary to win. There's no compelling reason to include her over him...it's all for ratings based on controversy.

Zippyjuan
06-10-2011, 03:31 PM
It is so early that most people don't care about any debates anyways.

LibertyEagle
06-10-2011, 03:36 PM
I wish we would go back to the days where debates were on the major networks and put on by someone like the League of Women Voters. Each candidate was given exactly the same amount of time.

This current structure of corporate debates where favorites are played and unequal time is given the candidates is complete and utter bullshit.

amy31416
06-10-2011, 03:56 PM
I wish we would go back to the days where debates were on the major networks and put on by someone like the League of Women Voters. Each candidate was given exactly the same amount of time.

This current structure of corporate debates where favorites are played and unequal time is given the candidates is complete and utter bullshit.

Heck, I wish they were half as good as high school debates. Very few of the candidates could survive an actual debate that goes by the rules of an ordinary debate club.

pacelli
06-10-2011, 04:00 PM

couldn't have said it any better myself. + rep. Completely summarizes my thoughts accurately.