PDA

View Full Version : How to inform some rubes?

Suzu
06-10-2011, 09:04 AM
There are plenty of folks around my area who are going to be difficult to talk with about Ron Paul. I met an example this morning. He drives a local delivery truck. I asked him what he thinks about Ron Paul. He said he knows nothing about him. He doesn't watch TV or have a computer.

He says anyone who asks others for money to get elected to office is dishonest and corrupt. I asked, "So, do you mean that only the super-rich, who can afford to fund their own campaigns, should run for office?" He says no, anyone should be able to run. I said, anyone can, but how are people supposed to fund their campaigns? He said it shouldn't take money to get elected.

He went on ranting on the campaign funding topic for a while, then asked me if Ron Paul has ties to the oil and gas industries. I said I don't think so, but can't be sure. I asked if he would watch a DVD if I gave him one, he said no, if it's anything to do with politics or the government, they can go stuff themselves, he wants nothing to do with them.

He had a couple of really strange ideas about gold, too. He thinks it has lost value because it costs more to buy than it used to. We went round and round about this with me hardly able to get a word in, he knows so much that isn't so. He'd also firmly convinced that when a senator or congressman misses a vote, their non-vote is automatically counted as a "YES" vote.:rolleyes:

If you folks have any thoughts on how to break this sort of person out of a ***** sort of self-made matrix - without getting punched out - do let me know...

acptulsa
06-10-2011, 09:11 AM
I kind of doubt he has ever voted in his life. So, if you fail with someone like this, it's not like he's going to run out and vote for someone else. Trying to reach him is, at worst, a zero-sum game.

That said, we need all the apolitical types we can get. Find out what he's mad about, and tell him how libertarianism fixes it. Don't waste time on an issue he doesn't care about (which sounds like most of them). If we can use a person's pet peeve as a way to get them registered and to the polls on primary day, then that's all we need.

Don't tell. Ask, pander, and shut up.

Maximilian American
06-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Offer Literature perhaps, like a Revolution or Liberty Defined, such titled can intrigue even him.

amy31416
06-10-2011, 09:17 AM
First off, try to understand things from his point of view and get the notion out of your head that he's a "rube" or don't bother talking to him again. That will come through in the discussion, and nobody likes to be looked down on. The part about him asking for money to get elected is understandable from a cynical point of view, and anyone who's had minimal experience with politicians, grubbing for your money, then spending it like a bunch of jerks...well, he has some semblance of intelligence there.

Focus on that and connect it to Ron Paul. He doesn't participate in the pension plan, his office returns money every year, and when he was a doctor, he didn't take Medicare/Medicaid based on principle. He's a staunch fiscal conservative, and has always voted against unbalanced budgets, wants to end the income tax and the Fed.

This guy doesn't need to give money to RP, but the reality is that it does take money to run a campaign--and there are other ways to support him--signs, voting, being informed of his positions, etc.

Good luck. And no punching!

Suzu
06-10-2011, 09:35 AM
All good ideas! Thanks for the replies.

amy31416, I don't really think the guy is a rube, but I couldn't think of a better title for the topic. I mean, I actually sat here thinking for maybe ten minutes on what to put in the subject field. And this was all I came up with. Not much of a writer, but I can edit the heck out of others' writing!

Eric21ND
06-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Cut your losses and move on to someone else. I always tell people that, "hate politics/politicians", that the price of not being involved politically is that you end up get ruled by your inferiors. Just plant a tiny seed, that makes them go, "Hmm". That's a Plato quote btw and it works very well with these non-politcal types.

acptulsa
06-10-2011, 01:18 PM
That's a Plato quote btw and it works very well with these non-politcal types.

That is a useful tool!

Nate-ForLiberty
06-10-2011, 01:19 PM
"You may hate politics, politicians, and anything government related, but they still have control over your life. Ron Paul wants the government to have the very least control possible. He wants you to be free."

heavenlyboy34
06-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Cut your losses and move on to someone else. I always tell people that, "hate politics/politicians", that the price of not being involved politically is that you end up get ruled by your inferiors. Just plant a tiny seed, that makes them go, "Hmm". That's a Plato quote btw and it works very well with these non-politcal types.

It doesn't work on me, FWIW. :cool: Political rulers are inferior by their nature.

low preference guy
06-10-2011, 01:30 PM
give him a slim jim on a topic he likes.

ask him what are the most important issues to him. if there isn't a slim jim about it, create a thread on the forum to ask people for suggestions on how to make one.

Koz
06-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Move onto someone else. Clearly this guy would take a lot of convincing if you are ever able to even convince him. Move on to lower hanging fruit.

JamesButabi
06-10-2011, 02:48 PM
I try to reach everyone possible, but some people I don't bother bombarding. This may be a case. Im sure you could use the time on others who could be converted more easily.

Eric21ND
06-10-2011, 03:27 PM
It doesn't work on me, FWIW. :cool: Political rulers are inferior by their nature.
That sounds good in theory, but there will be someone "in charge", regardless of your contempt, do we want them to be our creatures, or someone else's?

Eric21ND
07-09-2011, 08:09 PM
That doesn't prevent them from picking your pocket or sending your friends off to war does it? Only getting involved can you have any hope from changing the nature of things.

Paul4Prez
07-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Just tell him about Ron Paul's record. Lots of people are opposed to big government, and have dropped out of participating. With their votes we could win easily.

kazmlsj
07-10-2011, 10:26 AM
You planted a seed...you never know where it will lead.
At least YOU told him about someone he has never heard of before.

I think when it comes to the money issue - you could always tell the person that Ron Paul has never voted for a congressional pay raise nor will he take a congressional pension. Those are highly unusual positions for a politician - considering it seems that most of them go into poiltics to get rich.

"Between the ability to increase pay at their whim and the juicy pension package they give themselves, it is no wonder so few Members of Congress ever leave their office and return to the private sector," said Rep. Paul. "How many Americans can, without thought, grant themselves a pay raise? How many Americans can take part in a pension which pays out the huge sums the congressional pension does? None, because Congress can simply increase taxes to pay the bill. Even the wealthiest of business owners have to answer to the bottom-line profitability of their company; Congress has no such accountability."

http://paul.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=930&Itemid=28

Suzu
07-10-2011, 10:53 AM
When I see the fellow again I'll have both barrels loaded, as it were. Thanks for all the good tips.