PDA

View Full Version : Medicinal Cannabis Developed By British Drug Firm Treats Diabetes, Epilepsy, Crohn's

dannno
06-09-2011, 12:54 AM
'Super Breed' Of Medicinal Cannabis Developed By British Drug Firm

Updated: Wednesday, 08 Jun 2011, 8:38 AM EDT
Published : Wednesday, 08 Jun 2011, 6:55 AM EDT

By NewsCore

LONDON - A British pharmaceutical company was working Wednesday to develop a new breed of cannabis-based products aimed at treating a range of conditions including diabetes, epilepsy and Crohn's disease.

GW Pharmaceuticals, which launched a cannabis-derived medicine for symptoms of multiple sclerosis last year, has cross-bred different types of the plant to produce a new strain that could treat a wide range of disorders.

The new varieties contain enhanced levels of therapeutic compounds, including an appetite suppressant cannabinoid called THCV, which the company hopes will be used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes, obesity and other metabolic disorders.

Research leader Dr. David Potter said, "We've demonstrated that there are something like 60 cannabinoids in the cannabis plant, and so far we've looked in detail only at 12 to 15. You could say we've only scratched the surface so far."

Human safety trials are already underway on some of the new varieties, and the company hopes that by combining THCV with other cannabinoids they will be able to treat inflammatory diseases and epilepsy.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/offbeat/super-breed-of-medicinal-cannabis-developed-by-british-drug-firm-ncxdc-060811

BamaAla
06-09-2011, 02:34 AM
That's pretty awesome; marijuana is really a miracle plant isn't it!

You think a little mj would help with my insomnia? I'm at the end of my rope and am ready to try anything.

squarepusher
06-09-2011, 04:46 AM
except if they try to pull a monsanto on marijuana seed strains

roho76
06-09-2011, 05:39 AM

You think a little mj would help with my insomnia? I'm at the end of my rope and am ready to try anything.

It's always put me to sleep.

Working Poor
06-09-2011, 06:19 AM

It could. I am sure there are strains that can put you to sleep. but the underlying cause of the anxiety might not go away. I hate the way people want to treat a symptom rather than the cause of a disorder or disease. I used to have insomnia I started reading real thick books by Tolstoy and the baga vita(sp?) and stuff by Carols Castaneti and usually it did not take me long to fall asleep. Maybe 10 minutes. The people I know myself included all seem to be people who can't focus on one thing for very long and their minds are cluttered with the BS of guilt,hate,jealousy and last but not least fear. If you don't learn to deal with your BS now with your sleep problem will manifest itself in some other part of your being.

Science is not good at treating the mind part of the body but they have handed the treatment of the mind over to psychiatrist who are not doing a very good job. Psychiatrist need to get a lot more shamanistic in their dealings with people's mind all these drugs they prescribe are so phlucking dangerous.

dannno
06-09-2011, 10:02 AM

Ya a lot of people use it for that, a lot of prescriptions for it here in CA. Try and get some indica tho if possible. Not sure how available that is in AL. Look for kush or anything purple, or anything with a more dense, tight bud structure.

dannno
06-11-2011, 02:48 AM
bump

Jim Casey
06-11-2011, 03:16 AM
Ya a lot of people use it for that, a lot of prescriptions for it here in CA. Try and get some indica tho if possible. Not sure how available that is in AL. Look for kush or anything purple, or anything with a more dense, tight bud structure.
Are prescriptions available for White Widow?

Chester Copperpot
06-11-2011, 03:30 AM

Have you tried exercise?

Chester Copperpot
06-11-2011, 03:31 AM
It could. I am sure there are strains that can put you to sleep. but the underlying cause of the anxiety might not go away. I hate the way people want to treat a symptom rather than the cause of a disorder or disease. I used to have insomnia I started reading real thick books by Tolstoy and the baga vita(sp?) and stuff by Carols Castaneti and usually it did not take me long to fall asleep. Maybe 10 minutes. The people I know myself included all seem to be people who can't focus on one thing for very long and their minds are cluttered with the BS of guilt,hate,jealousy and last but not least fear. If you don't learn to deal with your BS now with your sleep problem will manifest itself in some other part of your being.

Science is not good at treating the mind part of the body but they have handed the treatment of the mind over to psychiatrist who are not doing a very good job. Psychiatrist need to get a lot more shamanistic in their dealings with people's mind all these drugs they prescribe are so phlucking dangerous.

yep

dannno
06-11-2011, 03:36 AM
Are prescriptions available for White Widow?

In California you get a recommendation for cannabis, then you can go to any club. Many clubs have clones (small cuttings you can grow yourself), and I've come upon white window clones very many times so you could theoretically grow it yourself no problem.

When you go to a club, there are usually at least 12 and as many as 30 or so strains depending on the club. They probably won't always have white widow, but you'll find that it is nice to switch it up on occasion anyway and they will always have good kushes and hybrids in that ballpark.

You might get lucky and find a place that has it all or most all of the time.

dannno
06-11-2011, 03:48 AM
//

Jim Casey
06-11-2011, 04:02 AM
In California you get a recommendation for cannabis, then you can go to any club. Many clubs have clones (small cuttings you can grow yourself), and I've come upon white window clones very many times so you could theoretically grow it yourself no problem.

When you go to a club, there are usually at least 12 and as many as 30 or so strains depending on the club. They probably won't always have white widow, but you'll find that it is nice to switch it up on occasion anyway and they will always have good kushes and hybrids in that ballpark.

You might get lucky and find a place that has it all or most all of the time.
So the market decides what prescription I get, and if the highest thc content isn't the most profitable, its supply will be purposely limited.

COpatriot
06-11-2011, 06:54 AM
I know several people who are licensed growers or affiliated with dispensaries here in Colorado. I've sampled plenty of the local product and I've got to say, Grade A stuff. It's a shame this hot industry is so grossly overregulated by "small-government, pro-liberty, pro-business/small business 'conservatives'" who are supposedly all about job creation and economic growth.

RPIdeaMan08
06-11-2011, 09:42 AM
So the market decides what prescription I get, and if the highest thc content isn't the most profitable, its supply will be purposely limited.

White Widow has a high thc level but those shops sell cannabis with higher than the street levels anyways. Plus you can ask them "which do you have that is a most pure thc high?" and go at it like that.

dannno
06-11-2011, 01:39 PM

We are the market, we decide that the highest THC content and strains are most profitable by voting with our dollars and I think you will find that its supply is purposely available despite federal laws and difficulty finding secure places to grow.

In a free market, cannabis would cost less money, but people would still be demanding the best so it would be more available and cheaper prices.

Jim Casey
06-11-2011, 05:54 PM
We are the market, we decide that the highest THC content and strains are most profitable by voting with our dollars and I think you will find that its supply is purposely available despite federal laws and difficulty finding secure places to grow.

In a free market, cannabis would cost less money, but people would still be demanding the best so it would be more available and cheaper prices.
People will only be voting with their dollars to they extent they can pay for their cannabis and what strains are made available to them. So far, prohibitive measures in the market have proven extremely profitable. Lift the prohibitive measures and it might cost less to dump the weed into a bonfire than market the weed to the masses.

If weed becomes really cheap because of synthetic substitutes designed by chemists using technology such as 3D printing, it could cost a lot of people their jobs.

BamaAla
06-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Have you tried exercise?

Yeah; I exercise 6 days a week (cardio, resistance, and yoga.) I keep really odd hours and I think that's the culprit. My doctor has prescribed me tons of meds, but .5 xanax is the only thing that has even remotely worked. I quit taking them after a few weeks, though, because I really don't want to become addicted to benzos at a relatively young age. Currently, I just live with it; although, it becomes rough after a few years.

heavenlyboy34
06-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Danno-what types of epilepsy does this work on?

dannno
07-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Danno-what types of epilepsy does this work on?

Not a whole lot of studies have been done.. but some have been done and shown to be beneficial, and there are many anecdotal reports.

http://www.ukcia.org/medical/epilepsy.php