PDA

View Full Version : NM - Albuquerque to pay $400k to family of man shot dead by cops after being subdued

Anti Federalist
06-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Thumbnail:

Unarmed man, shot once by cop and down, is summarily executed by same cop.

City ordered to pay thousands to family for police shooting

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S2146001.shtml?cat=516

A judge is ordering the City of Albuquerque to pay out $400,000 to the family of a man killed by an Albuquerque police officer two years ago.

Officer Justin Montgomery shot 19-year-old Andrew Lopez after a chase back in February 2009.

It started after police tried to pull Lopez over for driving without his lights.

Police said Lopez eventually got out of the car and tried running away near Central Avenue and Atrisco Drive before turning back toward officers with something in his hand.

It turned out to be a cell phone.

According to the lawsuit, 0fficer Montgomery fired three shots at him believing he had a gun. Two bullets missed and the third hit Lopez in his right side.

Lopez fell to the ground.

The suit claimed that Montgomery then waited for about 10 seconds, walked over to Lopez who was still alive on the ground and shot him a fourth time, this time in the chest, killing him.

Montgomery testified that he told Lopez to drop his gun before shooting.

Based on testimony, the other officers in the vicinity said they didn't hear him do that.

The city released a statement saying they're disappointed with the ruling and that the police department is developing additional de-escalation and decisional use of force training for officers.

They will also be getting recommendations in two weeks from the police executive research forum which has been analyzing the high number of police involved shootings.

(High number of police involved shootings? The hell you say. - AF)

A grand jury had already ruled the shooting as justified.

(Justified? But the taxpayers are on the hook for almost half a million dollars and probably still employing this psychopath. - AF)

The judge ruled Lopez is partially to blame for his death but said the Albuquerque Police Department was more liable.

low preference guy
06-08-2011, 09:44 PM
how many are going to jail or be executed?

Anti Federalist
06-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Damn it... this was the wrong sub forum this time...

Anti Federalist
06-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks mod for the move bump.

heavenlyboy34
06-09-2011, 01:15 PM
So, Lopez's life is only worth $400 K (which will come from tax money, of course)? I wonder how they came up with such an arbitrary-and I would argue extremely low-value.

aGameOfThrones
06-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Wait, a store owner (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?295657-Oklahoma-Pharmacist-found-guilty-for-killing-in-self-defense) did this and he is found guilty of first degree murder, but a cop is justified?

pcosmar
06-09-2011, 04:02 PM
So, Lopez's life is only worth $400 K (which will come from tax money, of course)? I wonder how they came up with such an arbitrary-and I would argue extremely low-value.

Lopez is a common name.
dime a dozen perhaps?

Warrior_of_Freedom
06-09-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm confused where they get the $400,000 from. I'm assuming it's tax dollars. So the taxpayers of Albuquerque are paying for crimes committed by others? Is this right?

Kylie
06-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Yes, sounds right to me.

They just did the same here in IL. Cop, running 125+ mph crossed ditch and killed two young sisters in a head on. He was messed up, still got paid for 2 years, then quit. Now he is fighting for workman's comp. The gall of some people.

I think the payout to the families(since he hit two cars) was like 2.2 million. And that wasn't his first infraction, he had cost the state of IL 1 million a few years earlier.

It's amazing the difference between the cops and the rest of us, including the military.

And to boot, now IDOT has installed all these metal rope blockades down the interstate, so instead of just sliding into the ditch in winter, now you get to destroy your car. Or possibly die, if you're on a motorcycle. And the people have no say in it.

Anti Federalist
06-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Wait, a store owner (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?295657-Oklahoma-Pharmacist-found-guilty-for-killing-in-self-defense) did this and he is found guilty of first degree murder, but a cop is justified?

Nice cross reference.

+rep

HOLLYWOOD
06-09-2011, 04:51 PM
The family aka VICTIMS should all get all their Social Security calculated with cost of living increases refunded to the family. Same goes for Medicare/Medicaid/State unemployment insurance premiums... etc etc.

Get refunded on everything the City, State, and Feds stole from the murder victim and give it to his family... with interest!

Anti Federalist
06-09-2011, 04:55 PM
I'm confused where they get the $400,000 from. I'm assuming it's tax dollars. So the taxpayers of Albuquerque are paying for crimes committed by others? Is this right?

Indirectly.

It's paid by the liability insurance policy that all towns carry.

Then the rates go up and the people pay more.