PDA

View Full Version : Colbert does segment on Rand Paul's "deporation or arrest" remarks

Knightskye
06-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Colbert's focus was the April, 2010 Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot. He quoted Pokerface talking about Obama, globalism, and a "second American Revolution." Then he said, according to Rand Paul, Paul himself should be arrested.

Basically, facepalm.

isrow
06-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Tonight's Word was: Hear no evil. He used Rand's statement about deporting and arresting people using speeches as a sign of intent. He talked about racism and neo-nazis at gunshows before bringing up the band Poker Face playing at one of Rand's early events. Colbert concludes Rand should be deported and anyone who hears him speak.

Napoleon's Shadow
06-08-2011, 06:16 AM
Tube?

sailingaway
06-08-2011, 06:35 AM
That whole thing is such nonsense. I am really sad for my country. People used to want facts.

remaxjon
06-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Who cares

Its a constant mistake people here make thinking the Colbert Stewart crowd is who we need to influence. They are not going to vote for Ron or Rand. The mainstream of the Republican party is who matters and if Colbert and Stewart are on the other side all the better in their view. Rand is excellent at making arguments the main stream Republican voter can understand.

specsaregood
06-08-2011, 08:19 AM
That whole thing is such nonsense. I am really sad for my country. People used to want facts.

Isn't it especially nonsense since Colbert is supposed to be a spoof of a "conservative"?

jmdrake
06-08-2011, 09:22 AM
When Rand was explaining this on a recent radio talk show, the host commented that what Rand said made sense but that Rand "sucks at the 30 second soundbite". I think that's true. While I got what he was saying the first time, Rand could have put in a couple of qualifiers to avoid having the soundbyte. But he was being attacked from both sides for "supporting terrorists" so he overbalanced in his rhetoric.

That said, we're being too much on the defensive on this. If they want to make jokes about it, it's time to use comedy to our advantage. We need a good animator to work on this. Here's the script:

Rand Paul: Before we reauthorize the Patriot Act, we ought to at least debate amending it to require a judge's warrant before the FBI goes snooping through everybody's gun records.

Harry Reid: Rand Paul wants to give guns to terrorists.

Rand Paul: That's a ridiculous smear. Common Harry. You know as well as I do that the FISA judges almost always grant the warrants anyway. But the police should at least have to give a reason.

Harry Reid: Okay Rand. Well let you at least debate your little amendments. (Thought bubble) I don't know why he gives a rats ass about the constitution anyway.

Mitch McConnell: Oh no you don't. There will be no debates about the sacred Patriot Act. (Thought bubble) Doesn't Rand know the 2nd amendment is only important for anti Obama fundraising letters?

Rand Paul: (Thought bubble) Well if I can't win in congress I'll try to sway public opinion.

Sean Hannity/Dennis Miller: Rand, you don't really support terrorists do you?

Rand Paul: Of course not! But why do we have to treat everybody like a terrorist? Searching everybody's gun records just because somebody might be a terrorist is like groping a little girl at the airport because she might have a bomb. We've got to narrow our search to people who are likely to be terrorists.

Sean Hannity/Dennis Miller: That sounds like profiling. You say that and the liberals are going to call you a racist.

Rand Paul: I'm not talking about profiling anyone's race or religion. But what about people traveling to countries that are known terrorist training camps? Or who are attending meetings where the speakers are advocating the violent overthrow of the U.S. government? (Thought bubble of the radical Muslim cleric who was the mentor of the 1993 WTC bombers). Inciting to violence is against the law you know. These people could be arrested or even deported.

Dennis Miller: Yeah! I'm even for giving Muslim men in their 20s colonoscopies before letting them on planes.

Rand Paul: (Thought Bubble) I'm not even going to respond to that.

Sean Hannity: You know the left is going to go after you.

Think Progress/Liberal Media: Rand Paul supports arresting people for attending speeches!

Rand Paul: (Face palming) Oh fer crying out loud!

low preference guy
06-08-2011, 11:38 AM
When Rand was explaining this on a recent radio talk show, the host commented that what Rand said made sense but that Rand "sucks at the 30 second soundbite". I think that's true. While I got what he was saying the first time, Rand could have put in a couple of qualifiers to avoid having the soundbyte. But he was being attacked from both sides for "supporting terrorists" so he overbalanced in his rhetoric.

I also heard the interview before the controversy and understood what he was saying. I noticed however that what he said could've been misinterpreted. When you give so many interviews, it's hard to avoid phrasing something imperfectly at some point, but in the long run I think it's not going to hurt him.

surf
06-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Colbert's segment was sadly appropriate given Rand's comments. Rand stepped on his dick (to use an old Wall St. term). I hope Rand doesn't feel this way because most of his father's supporters are very anti-government.

Remaxjon, i disagree with your sentiment on Stewart/Colbert. like a few others here, i see this group as one that is younger (present tense excluded) and somewhat intelligent. a group that generally favors civil liberties and is anti-war - i.e. a group that has much in common with us.

Brian4Liberty
06-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Tube?

Not YouTube, but it works. All of the standard canards are used.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/388801/june-07-2011/the-word---hear-no-evil

DeadheadForPaul
06-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Colbert's segment was sadly appropriate given Rand's comments. Rand stepped on his dick (to use an old Wall St. term). I hope Rand doesn't feel this way because most of his father's supporters are very anti-government.

Remaxjon, i disagree with your sentiment on Stewart/Colbert. like a few others here, i see this group as one that is younger (present tense excluded) and somewhat intelligent. a group that generally favors civil liberties and is anti-war - i.e. a group that has much in common with us.

Looks like even our own fall for the deliberate media distortion of a 30 second clip

Listen to the original discussion or even Rand's explanation on Mandy's show, and it's clear that Rand is talking about non-citizens on student visas. He suggests that them being present at radical speeches is ONE FACTOR OF MANY that would lead to deportation or arrest. You have to look at the context of the entire discussion

DeadheadForPaul
06-08-2011, 11:53 AM
I also heard the interview before the controversy and understood what he was saying. I noticed however that what he said could've been misinterpreted. When you give so many interviews, it's hard to avoid phrasing something imperfectly at some point, but in the long run I think it's not going to hurt him.

This. Honestly, I heard it live and did not even think twice about what he said until this huge manufactured controversy came about

When the "controversy" hit the left-wing blogosphere, it was clear that it was an illegitimate smear campaign

Brian4Liberty
06-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Looks like even our own fall for the deliberate media distortion of a 30 second clip

Listen to the original discussion or even Rand's explanation on Mandy's show, and it's clear that Rand is talking about non-citizens on student visas. He suggests that them being present at radical speeches is ONE FACTOR OF MANY that would lead to deportation or arrest. You have to look at the context of the entire discussion

Yep. And how many people will believe Colbert's innuendos and guilt by association attempts?

jmdrake
06-08-2011, 12:33 PM

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLSWlZUAuylWtIDns4ISJ_fF6ybOXQg bnAV6WKYDQ8XgNKqra9KA&t=1

I don't know how many times some of us will have to say that Rand said this in the context of trying to RESTRICT government power for everyone here to get it. You can already be deported for almost anything. And for under certain circumstances incitement is against the law. In the circumstances Rand was referring to we are talking about the FBI trying to get a warrant to look at someone's gun records after finding out that they went to a meeting where the violent overthrow of the U.S. was advocated. The FBI can already look through those records without giving a reason or trying to get a warrant. Anyone who thinks that requiring a warrant is somehow "pro government", after the context of what Rand said was explained is beyond hopeless.

DeadheadForPaul
06-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Yep. And how many people will believe Colbert's innuendos and guilt by association attempts?

It's disheartening, huh?

Brian4Liberty
06-08-2011, 01:52 PM
It's disheartening, huh?

Or... :mad:

Very similar to what they just did to Romney at Newsweek. Innuendo and subtle, hidden messages. Lies and propaganda.

Athan
06-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Yeah nobody cares about cobert anymore. He should stick to mocking fox news neo-con personalities as nobody gives a shit about his other liberal points of view.

jtstellar
06-08-2011, 05:57 PM

that surf guy's just a dumbass.. colbert audience is somewhat intelligent? with gasoline and food prices rising as they have been, these guys are still in the mood for taking things out of context and making jokes of it.. so at what threshold does it stop making them intelligent? when they still munch chips and watch those brainless programs 3 days before the collapse while thinking still that ron paul is "for the old gold standard?" maybe you aren't much different. you think ron paul is for a gold standard, right?

quoted/paraphrased from milton friedman.. free market is a necessary condition for a free society.. what do these brainless fucks have common with us again? i don't welcome economic illiterates, sorry.