PDA

View Full Version : Why don't we have more candidates?

realtonygoodwin
06-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Why don't we have pro-liberty candidates running in every election? Local governments, state governments, and nationally? We have Ron, Rand, Mike, Justin, Glen...and that is pretty much it. Why aren't we taking over? We are great at supporting candidates, why are more of us not running and BEING candidates?

LibertyMage
06-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Because not many people are really committed to doing the hard work of building local teams of grassroots activists, fighting local issues and grooming candidates. It is much easier to donate online.

Michigan11
06-07-2011, 08:46 PM
The supporters just need to find it within to take that extra step to LEAD...it's happening

realtonygoodwin
06-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Because not many people are really committed to doing the hard work of building local teams of grassroots activists, fighting local issues and grooming candidates. It is much easier to donate online.

It is easier, but less effective...

RCA
06-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Most of us are ancaps...j/k.

specsaregood
06-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Well it isn't always possible. You need to have the time and money to campaign in addition to the drive.

belian78
06-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Well, I only speak for myself here, but I've been asked many times to run for local office and politely declined. With the mudslinging that goes on currently in all level of politics, my childhood adventures would be used against me to the point of, not only losing the election but also blackballing me from local employement.

I have a clean criminal record, but there are people out there that could tell some tales. LOL. Just average teenage stuff, but all the same..

realtonygoodwin
06-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Well it isn't always possible. You need to have the time and money to campaign in addition to the drive.

No, I get that. I just figured after the Revolution began 4 years ago, a lot of these fired-up, passionate supporters would run for office...

Travlyr
06-08-2011, 11:11 AM
No, I get that. I just figured after the Revolution began 4 years ago, a lot of these fired-up, passionate supporters would run for office...

A lot of them did run last election and got crushed by the rulers in charge.

specsaregood
06-08-2011, 11:34 AM

2 freshman state legislators in IA have endorsed Dr. Paul. So clearly some of them have run and won, and some have run and lost.

My area for example is a republican area and we have liked incumbent republicans in office, running is a waste of time until one of them leaves office for whatever reason.

LibertyMage
06-08-2011, 11:51 AM

You don't always need to run. However, you do need to be involved, start a county Campaign for Liberty group, groom candidates, etc. Local leadership is necessary.

MelissaWV
06-08-2011, 12:04 PM

And several of them did. And it took many of the non-running folks to help organize campaigns, donate, and assist with getting the word out.

What are you and LibertyMage running for?

LibertyMage, yeah, it's "easier" to donate online. Of course, in this particular economy, the number of threads asking for food or jobs or advice dealing with medical problems... one might realize that the money is not falling randomly from the sky. Those local candidates had a hard time getting donations with people on the forums touting "bigger" candidates. If we all just ran, rather than supporting those who run, it would be pointless.

Some of us can only donate online for those local races, for a variety of reasons. Your characterization of those kinds of donations as lazy is just ridiculous.