PDA

View Full Version : NASA Issues WARNING: MASSIVE SOLAR FLARE RELEASED (S'OK THOUGH)

HOLLYWOOD
06-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Expect possible disruptions to satellite communications...

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sunearth/news/sun-surfing.html

http://www.ksee24.com/home/Solar-Flare-123389073.html

http://www.solar-storm-warning.com/
Sun Releases Massive Solar Flare

By KSEE News

June 7, 2011 Updated Jun 7, 2011 at 2:11 PM PDT (Space.com) The sun unleashed a massive solar storm Tuesday in a dazzling eruption that kicked up a vast cloud of magnetic plasma that appeared to rain back down over half of the sun's entire surface, NASA scientists say.

The solar storm hit its peak at about 2:41 a.m. EDT, but the actual flare extended over a three-hour period, said C. Alex Young, a solar astrophysicist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center who runs a website called The Sun Today, in a video describing the event.
"The sun produced a quite spectacular prominence eruption that had a solar flare and high-energy particles associated with it, but I've just never seen material released like this before," Young said. "It looks like somebody just kicked a giant clod of dirt into the air and then it fell back down."

http://www.popsci.com/files/imagecache/article_image_large/articles/solareruption.jpeg (http://media.ksee24.com/images/470*257/huge-solar-flare-sdo-june-7-2011.jpg)

An alert by the NOAA-operated Space Weather Prediction Center stated that the solar flare could create a strong geomagnetic storm on Wednesday from the event's coronal mass ejection (http://www.space.com/11506-space-weather-sunspots-solar-flares-coronal-mass-ejections.html)(CME), an explosion of charged particles triggered by the flare. Geomagnetic storms can lead to stronger-than-normal displays of Earth's auroras, also known as the northern and southern lights.
"It's nothing we really have to worry about," Young said in his video. "It's just really, really beautiful."
The coronal mass ejection is directed at Earth and moving at about 3.1 million mph, SDO mission scientists said in a statement.

"Due to its angle, however, effects on Earth should be fairly small. Nevertheless, it may generate space weather effects here on Earth in a few days," they added.
In the SDO videos, the solar flare erupts from the lower right of the sun and triggers the intense coronal mass ejection, which blows plasma and particles high up into the sun's corona — its outer atmosphere — with some raining back down.
SDO mission scientists said the flare kicked up relatively cool gas and material.
"It is somewhat unique because at many places in the eruption there seems to be even cooler material —at temperatures less than 80,000 Kelvin," SDO scientists explained.
A temperature of 80,000 Kelvin is about 143,540 degrees Fahrenheit. The sun's corona typically has temperatures ranging from 900,000 degrees F to 10.8 million degrees F. It can reach tens of millions of degrees when a solar flare occurs.

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/556784main1_KH-waves-670.jpg

Napoleon's Shadow
06-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Time to break out the tin foil hat?

Petar
06-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Good thing I'm already wearing my tinfoil codpiece, those things emit tons of radiation!

kah13176
06-07-2011, 07:31 PM
I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about. This has nothing to do with conspiracy theories. Solar weather is real, and it can affect weather here on earth.

Napoleon's Shadow
06-07-2011, 07:39 PM
I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about. This has nothing to do with conspiracy theories. Ionized particles are often shielded against by a thin layer of metal (such as tin or aluminum foil). It's a Faraday Cage joke actually.

mconder
06-07-2011, 08:43 PM
"IT'S SOOO BEATIFULLLL," as the fly makes it way into the soothing light that will be it's death. Zzssst.

FrankRep
06-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Time to break out the tin foil hat?

Source is NASA.

Carehn
06-07-2011, 09:01 PM
If this happened more then 8 minuets ago then its over by now.

Carehn
06-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Source is NASA.

Just one more reason for the tin foil.

UtahApocalypse
06-07-2011, 09:12 PM
there has been some substantial links over tome that large major earthquakes have occurred around the time of a CME impact

libertybrewcity
06-07-2011, 09:13 PM
so what...this crap happens all the time

kah13176
06-07-2011, 09:16 PM

Yeah it does, and it's usually pretty inconsequential. Pretty stupid how people call this a conspiracy though.

Perry
06-07-2011, 09:23 PM
If this happened more then 8 minuets ago then its over by now.

If it were merely electromagnetic radiation like the suns rays that would be true. This is more than that. Actual physical particles that travel much slower than the speed of light are on their way to earth and it takes them over a day to reach earth traveling at a meager 3million mph.

amonasro
06-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Doesn't the Earth's magnetic field protect us against solar radiation? Probably will make for some pretty good Northern Lights viewing though.

Yieu
06-07-2011, 10:05 PM
No one is saying there is a conspiracy theory. As someone else noted, tin foil does not always mean conspiracy theory -- what do they line spacecraft with? Thin sheets of metal, which can block charged particles such as those ejected from the sun.

Also, as noted above, while the sun's light takes 8 minutes to get here, charged particles are not light so they travel much slower.

Doesn't the Earth's magnetic field protect us against solar radiation?

To a degree it does protect us, but it is not impermeable. A big enough CME with a direct hit on the planet could pass through and do some damage.

Carehn
06-07-2011, 10:09 PM
If it were merely electromagnetic radiation like the suns rays that would be true. This is more than that. Actual physical particles that travel much slower than the speed of light are on their way to earth and it takes them over a day to reach earth traveling at a meager 3million mph.

Then i stand corrected but its still probably not a big deal. Im guessing it has happened before.

Razmear
06-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Then i stand corrected but its still probably not a big deal. Im guessing it has happened before.

Satellites are the most vulnerable to these CME's, and with our military's over reliance on GPS it could impact their operations.
I'm not saying that the GPS system going down would not be a net plus for the planet as a result, but there are more concerns now then before we were so reliant on technology for our day to day activities.
btw, as I type this my Charter Cable TV is flickering on and off. There internet service is unaffected.

Carehn
06-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Satellites are the most vulnerable to these CME's, and with our military's over reliance on GPS it could impact their operations.
I'm not saying that the GPS system going down would not be a net plus for the planet as a result, but there are more concerns now then before we were so reliant on technology for our day to day activities.
btw, as I type this my Charter Cable TV is flickering on and off. There internet service is unaffected.
My TV is doing the same and i am no where near SC. But it could be anything....
That would suck if the sun up and decided to Smack us down just for the fun of it.

Razmear
06-07-2011, 11:04 PM
My TV is doing the same and i am no where near SC. But it could be anything....
That would suck if the sun up and decided to Smack us down just for the fun of it.

All the cable companies get their feeds via the same satellites. So if your experiencing it too, then we are seeing what the CME can do.

TheDrakeMan
06-07-2011, 11:19 PM
Solar flares are real, but if it were a legitimate threat to us right now, it'd be all over the news.

Razmear
06-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Solar flares are real, but if it were a legitimate threat to us right now, it'd be all over the news.

If it were an ELE, there would be no coverage. However this should just cause some minor disruptions.

dannno
06-07-2011, 11:48 PM

It is all on the news.. and it was the biggest solar flare ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyi4hjG6kDM

9:30 p.m. update: The Space Weather Prediction Center is now saying the most likely scenario is just a glancing blow (G1 minor levels) from the solar storm around 8 a.m on June 9 lasting 24 hours. However, it does still indicate a small (25-30%) chance of a major-severe geomagnetic storm. Note: the state of the art is such that we’ll not know for sure until just 10-12 minutes whether the event will definitely occur - about comparable to the warning time for tornadoes, but the effects if any could be felt worldwide from mid-to-high latitudes in the Northern Hemisphere.

From 5:00 p.m.: The sun unleashed a massive solar storm today in a spectacular eruption that some have called the most impressive yet observed by the NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory.

The eruption occurs about eight seconds into the video on the bottom right portion of the screen.

NOAA’s Space Weather Prediction Center predicts that the solar flare will generate a coronal mass ejection (CME) - an explosion of charged particles (plasma) spewed into space. This could cause a geomagnetic storm when the plasma reaches and interacts with the Earth’s magnetic field.

However – and fortunately - the angle at which the plasma bombardment reaches the Earth beginning tomorrow and peaking on June 9 suggests the intensity of the geomagnetic storm will reach only G1 (minor) to G2 (moderate) levels on a scale from G1 to G5 (G5 would signify potentially widespread damage to power grids, GPS, and low-earth orbit satellite systems generally).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/video-huge-explosion-on-sun---what-does-it-mean/2011/06/07/AGEh0MLH_blog.html

dannno
06-08-2011, 12:07 AM
bump

dannno
06-08-2011, 12:51 AM
^That youtube is nuts..

Vessol
06-08-2011, 02:03 AM
Holy crap, no kidding. But only minor disturbances are expected?

Wasn't the biggest solar flare before this one only earlier this year?

cjm
06-08-2011, 05:03 AM

Wasn't the biggest solar flare before this one only earlier this year?

I'm surprised the Carrington Event hasn't been mentioned yet: http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2008/06may_carringtonflare/

123tim
06-08-2011, 05:31 AM

It's a theory that Solar Wind caused Mars to lose it's atmosphere.

Apparently Earth has lost some of it's atmosphere for the same reason:

"Solar wind blows some of Earth's atmosphere into space."
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/1998/ast08dec98_1/

I've read (or seen on a program somewhere?) that if we're ever perfectly aligned with a flare of the right magnitude, that the results would be devastating. I can't quite remember why though. I think that it was for more reasons than the loss of atmosphere.... Massive electronics and power grid loss maybe ((Edit) as in Danno's post)?

Now if we lost all of our atmosphere........

Plus, our magnetic field is due for a massive shift soon. Not quite sure how that might change things.

fisharmor
06-08-2011, 05:42 AM

Makes sense, since the video shows a 90 degree viewing angle. It wasn't pointing at us.
I figure it's kind of like being on a firing line next to someone popping off magnums. You can feel the concussion of what's going on next door, but it's still nothing in comparison to standing in front of him.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
06-08-2011, 08:01 AM
Source is NASA.

Oh, the fellows who many believe faked the moon missions? The same ones who spent $750,000,000 each on two tonka toy rover missions to mars? The same ones who ignored their own engineers during the last shuttle disaster who were running around like chickens with their heads cut off about the damage caused during lift off? The sames ones who want to take us to the moon again because they all of the sudden see water everywhere? Why would our government be corrupt and somehow NASA isn't? I think NASA is one of the lead organisations ready to become a independent nation when the fat lady sings and all hell breaks loose.
That reminds me. I forgot to fly my flag today. Be right back.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
06-08-2011, 08:04 AM
It's a theory that Solar Wind caused Mars to lose it's atmosphere.

Apparently Earth has lost some of it's atmosphere for the same reason:

"Solar wind blows some of Earth's atmosphere into space."
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/1998/ast08dec98_1/

I've read (or seen on a program somewhere?) that if we're ever perfectly aligned with a flare of the right magnitude, that the results would be devastating. I can't quite remember why though. I think that it was for more reasons than the loss of atmosphere.... Massive electronics and power grid loss maybe ((Edit) as in Danno's post)?

Now if we lost all of our atmosphere........

Plus, our magnetic field is due for a massive shift soon. Not quite sure how that might change things.

It would seem that it would be getting blown into space all the time. As it has no where to go, it settles back onto the earth.
Supposedly, the outer parts of the earth and its iron core rotate at different rates. During the time when they rotate at the same rate, this is supposed to diminish the magnetic field which protects life from the sun's radiation.
As I believe a blind man can be a scientist, I'm ready to junk modern science. We need to develop something new which is in the best interest of the people.

Zippyjuan
06-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Largest solar flare reported is believed to be one seen in 1859. It caused Northern Lights to be seen as far south as the Carribean.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

On September 1–2, 1859, the largest recorded geomagnetic storm occurred. Aurorae were seen around the world, most notably over the Caribbean; also noteworthy were those over the Rocky Mountains that were so bright that their glow awoke gold miners, who began preparing breakfast because they thought it was morning.[4]

Telegraph systems all over Europe and North America failed in some cases even shocking telegraph operators.[5] Telegraph pylons threw sparks and telegraph paper spontaneously caught fire.[6] Some telegraph systems appeared to continue to send and receive messages despite having been disconnected from their power supplies.[7]

This was not a particularly significant flare- though it was pretty interesting.

hillbilly123069
06-08-2011, 12:09 PM
I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about. This has nothing to do with conspiracy theories. Solar weather is real, and it can affect weather here on earth.
You deal with some pedestrian IQ's on here sometimes.

jmdrake
06-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Let's see. A solar flare can be theoretically strong enough to knock out the entire atmosphere, but global warming is caused by cow farts?

Anyhow, scientists have been predicting massive solar flares as we go into 2012. And I think that's what was behind the Mayan 2012 prophecy. They figured out the solar flares would be worse than usual. I don't think it means the EOTW though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIr6nfwpctA

Zippyjuan
06-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Actually while NASA did say they expected an increase in solar flare activitity around 2012 (it has been extremely quiet in recent years), this activity will not be really that significant either.
http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html

Q: Is there a danger from giant solar storms predicted for 2012?
A: Solar activity has a regular cycle, with peaks approximately every 11 years. Near these activity peaks, solar flares can cause some interruption of satellite communications, although engineers are learning how to build electronics that are protected against most solar storms. But there is no special risk associated with 2012. The next solar maximum will occur in the 2012-2014 time frame and is predicted to be an average solar cycle, no different than previous cycles throughout history.

jmdrake
06-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Actually while NASA did say they expected an increase in solar flare activitity around 2012 (it has been extremely quiet in recent years), this activity will not be really that significant either.
http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html

Maybe it will, maybe it won't. I'm predicting warmer temperatures. And I'm predicting the global warming alarmists will blame it all on fossil fuels and cow farts.

Zippyjuan
06-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Solar flares do not impact temperatures on Earth. The two subjects are not related. A flare effect is usually less than one day and those effects are more magnetic and electronic than thermal.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
06-08-2011, 01:19 PM
You deal with some pedestrian IQ's on here sometimes.

IQ? I think the horse sense in here is above average. I think the problem has more to do with poor work as in GPA.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
06-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Solar flares do not impact temperatures on Earth. The two subjects are not related. A flare effect is usually less than one day and those effects are more magnetic and electronic than thermal.
If stars are immense generators, then every path in the universe is a conductor for the electricity they put off. So, practical insulators of the energy created by those star's will tend to give off lots of heat.
In other words, I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Working Poor
06-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Oh I just have to throw in a little conspiracy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXj1argD-Ss

Zippyjuan
06-08-2011, 01:54 PM
If stars are immense generators, then every path in the universe is a conductor for the electricity they put off. So, practical insulators of the energy created by those star's will tend to give off lots of heat.
In other words, I don't understand what you are trying to say.

A solar flare is a burst. A brief moment. Consider taking a hair dryer and spraying your face for one second with it. Five minutes later, is your face still hotter? Yes, we do receive energy from the sun which warms us but a solar flare does not add anything significant to the heat we already get. It will not make the planet any warmer than it already is.

Razmear
06-08-2011, 02:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JdWlSF195Y
Felt this educational tidbit from TMBG was needed :D

Bodhi
06-08-2011, 02:31 PM
More video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_3u_0NN7OM&feature=player_embedded

Brooklyn Red Leg
06-08-2011, 02:36 PM

Yeppers. The Birkeland Currents connecting the Earth and Sun have a profound affect on our climate and weather. People who think otherwise either have their heads stuffed in their ass or are so propagandized about 'Man Made X' that nothing will convince them otherwise. Funny thing is that NASA itself is only grudgingly now accepting the whole electrical aspect of the Sun (most still, stupidly, talk about nonsense like magnetic reconnection and other outdated dogma that got blown out of the water the moment they confirmed plasma's existence in space).

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
06-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Yeppers. The Birkeland Currents connecting the Earth and Sun have a profound affect on our climate and weather. People who think otherwise either have their heads stuffed in their ass or are so propagandized about 'Man Made X' that nothing will convince them otherwise. Funny thing is that NASA itself is only grudgingly now accepting the whole electrical aspect of the Sun (most still, stupidly, talk about nonsense like magnetic reconnection and other outdated dogma that got blown out of the water the moment they confirmed plasma's existence in space).

All matters should be taught from a point of view of a coverup on the scale of a massive conspiracy with a natural predator being organized to consume the people and their Civil Purpose. The fact that it isn't makes me even more a conspiracy lunatic ~ Uncle Emanuel Watkins

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
06-10-2011, 02:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JdWlSF195Y
Felt this educational tidbit from TMBG was needed :D

That song was hot, heavy, and brilliant and should be required singing at NASA.

Dr.3D
06-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Yeah it does, and it's usually pretty inconsequential. Pretty stupid how people call this a conspiracy though.

I'm pretty sure nobody was even thinking conspiracy when they mentioned tin foil hats. The idea of a tin foil hat isn't always about conspiracy theories.

I don't know why some people always think conspiracy theory when there is the mention of tin foil hats. In this case, I'm pretty sure the reference to tinfoil hat was about shielding against electromagnetic waves.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
06-10-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm pretty sure nobody was even thinking conspiracy when they mentioned tin foil hats. The idea of a tin foil hat isn't always about conspiracy theories.

I don't know why some people always think conspiracy theory when there is the mention of tin foil hats. In this case, I'm pretty sure the reference to tinfoil hat was about shielding against electromagnetic waves.

After singing the song above, I fully agree.

Pericles
06-10-2011, 02:50 PM

It was the POTD (Panic Of The Day).