PDA

View Full Version : Is this where the ticked off Rep's come?

rrroae
10-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Well I've given up on my party for the forseeable future and decided I'll give your Libertarian a shot at my support. After doing some research on RP the last week, seems he is the only person who remembers what the conservative party stands for. Not to crazy about the gold thing but if that's his bigest drawback to me, consider me on board.

I'll donate on Nov 5.

Cheers.

freelance
10-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Welcome rroae. Many here are in the same boat as you.

rs3515
10-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Not to crazy about the gold thing but if that's his bigest drawback to me, consider me on board.

Good to have you on board. FYI, not sure if you're aware but he's not looking to go back to the gold standard. He would like to have a competing currency based on gold/silver as a counterbalance to the marketplace.

DaronWestbrooke
10-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Ticked of Republicans and Democrats are here. We found common ground with Dr. Paul.

bc2208
10-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Do more research on fiat currency. By nature it is the robbery of all who subscribe to it. The more dollars are produced, the less each is worth, which means you literally lose purchasing power every time there is a rate cut to bail out investors.

Bradley in DC
10-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Welcome. Perhaps Alan Greenspan can help:
http://www.usagold.com/gildedopinion/greenspan.html

Or one of the sources in my sig! :D

steph3n
10-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Well I've given up on my party for the forseeable future and decided I'll give your Libertarian a shot at my support. After doing some research on RP the last week, seems he is the only person who remembers what the conservative party stands for. Not to crazy about the gold thing but if that's his bigest drawback to me, consider me on board.

I'll donate on Nov 5.

Cheers.

rrroae,

the "gold thing" is something you should research on your own, even read some of Alan Greenspan's books on it of old :)

The "gold standard" is not a bad thing, but it can not be the old in this day and age, gold, silver etc will be needed.

That being said, it would have to be a phased system, while Dr Paul dislikes the FED system, as have many of those in our history for great reasons, he knows it needs to be a phased system, opening to other currency being legally circulated. I am not sure if you know about the Liberty Dollar, but it is an interesting system you may want to check out.

I see a great benefit in such system gaining more steam, remember competition is good, and if the central bank has competition they will work harder to ensure the value of our dollar doesn't continue to slide, knowing people can and will go to another currency :)

thehittgirl
10-29-2007, 03:11 PM
I was a ticked republican years ago, and came back to the party because I had to, being in NYS.

You made a wise choice! Ron Paul is awesome =)

hopeforamerica
10-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Welcome my friend! Nice to have you on board.

gagnonstudio
10-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Welcome! Great to have you.

quickmike
10-29-2007, 03:14 PM

I'll donate on Nov 5.

Cheers.

Welcome aboard rrroae!!

Dont let the gold thing scare you off. All Ron Paul wants to do is allow gold and silver to be used in competition with the federal reserve, so theres really not anything to worry about. Its not like federal reserve notes would suddenly dissapear if Ron got elected. The way I see it, if gold and silver seem to be more stable than fiat currency, more power to it. If not, nobody will use it anyway and will continue using fed notes anyway.

Personally, I would like to see a more stable currency that couldnt be inflated at the flick of a switch myself. One of the main reasons government is allowed to get away with growing every year is because of the federal reserve in the first place.

Ibgamer
10-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Welcome to the boards friend

By any chance could you tell us how you heard/took notice of Ron Paul?

LibertyEagle
10-29-2007, 03:15 PM
I'm a traditional conservative and I'm ticked off too. Nice to see you here. Welcome.

Adam Smith
10-29-2007, 03:20 PM
Good to have you here, rrroae!

Signed,
Another Disaffected Republican

rrroae
10-29-2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I see some of you are very supportive of using RP's gold standard. I've not done a whole lot of research on the subject but not my initial thoughts aren't too positive. Irregardless, not looking to debate. RP has my support from now until the election and that's all I wanted to say.

By the way, you can feel the enthusiam on this board. It's quite depressing at many of the other Republican boards. Nice job to all of you!

constitutional
10-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Welcome aboard!

Dr. Paul is smart guy, I don't think he intends to drive this country down with the gold standard. He knows what he's talking about.

freelance
10-29-2007, 03:32 PM

By the way, you can feel the enthusiam on this board. It's quite depressing at many of the other Republican boards. Nice job to all of you!

Nice that you caught us on a good day. We're just like any family--spats here and there, but once the storm passes, we mostly kiss and make up. :D

steph3n
10-29-2007, 03:32 PM

I see some of you are very supportive of using RP's gold standard. I've not done a whole lot of research on the subject but not my initial thoughts aren't too positive. Irregardless, not looking to debate. RP has my support from now until the election and that's all I wanted to say.

We weren't looking to debate, just that like many of us, we have learned through research.

BTW I forgot to say welcome.

I will tell you these boards can be FIERCE at times, but take what we say with a grain of salt, and move on, ignore the personal insults some like to throw :)

Taco John
10-29-2007, 03:35 PM

I'll donate on Nov 5.

Cheers.

Please visit http://www.ronpaulaudio.com

There are TONS of audio files there of Ron Paul having interviews with people from all corners of the US... From liberals to conservatives... From peaceniks to neo-cons... Dr. Paul's message is consistent... And the more you listen, the more you'll understand that IT'S ALL TIED TOGETHER! So when you say that you're not crazy about the gold thing, after listening to Dr. Paul discuss the enormity of the issues that we face, you might better understand why you should be concerned about the gold thing...

Welcome aboard!

Adamsa
10-29-2007, 03:36 PM

Just remember that the dollar itself won't be put on the gold standard, but a competing currency for the market

ronpaulyourmom
10-29-2007, 03:37 PM
Something is valuable if we make it so, as far as I'm concerned people can trade for goods and services however they want.

Personally I wish my job paid me in yen :o

Jimmy
10-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Yes...this is were ticked off republicans come to...There moving further to the left and were stayng put......Welcome :D

inibo
10-29-2007, 03:39 PM
Welcome. Perhaps Alan Greenspan can help:
http://www.usagold.com/gildedopinion/greenspan.html

Or one of the sources in my sig! :D

That is an excellent piece. A nice way to kill a few minutes at work. Thanks.

rrroae
10-29-2007, 03:41 PM
Welcome to the boards friend

By any chance could you tell us how you heard/took notice of Ron Paul?

A fellow named Bristoe at www.24hourcampfire.com It's an outdoors forum with many conservative members.

Whomever this Bristoe guy is, he's a well spoken, ardent supporter of RP and it just got me to do my own research.

...Also liked what I heard RP say in the recent debates.

quickmike
10-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Something is valuable if we make it so, as far as I'm concerned people can trade for goods and services however they want.

Personally I wish my job paid me in yen :o

Hell, Id rather be paid in donuts.

MMMMMMMMM DONUTS!!!

http://www.cynicalnation.com/img/homer_donuts.jpg

nullvalu
10-29-2007, 03:43 PM
I'll give your Libertarian a shot at my support.

Awesome, welcome aboard & welcome to the forums..

For the record, most of us are "small L" libertarians. "Libertarian" in general refers to the Libertarian Party (LP), "libertarian" refers to the advocacy of personal liberties, and in America; a constitutionally limited government among other things.

silverhandorder
10-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Welcome :D. I am what you might call a new republican.

speciallyblend
10-29-2007, 03:49 PM
Welcome aboard;)

RP08
10-29-2007, 03:50 PM

I'll donate on Nov 5.

Cheers.

Welcome!

I just wonder what in the world is wrong with the other folks who haven't *gotten it* yet, and continue to defend obsurd positions.

austin356
10-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Welcome! Just be prepared for a diverse group here; Supporters can be anyone from:

-Evangelicals to atheist
-Hard liberal to Hard Conservative
-City slickers who see Ron's ideas as idealistic to backwoods Jeffersonians who want to "go back" to the way it used to be
-The list could go on and on

But a large majority of us are fairly independent minded and are just fed up with the status quo of both parties, and the political system as a whole. I personally believe Americans desire neither form of statism (left clintonism, or right bushism), but rather a broader move towards freedom, even if many (or even most) have been tricked when it comes to specifics.

Also be prepared for the fact that with Ron being the most "anti-status-quo" candidate, he (naturally I might add) attracts many that are not in the mainstream of political thought. These people endorse Dr. Paul, but Dr. Paul has not endorsed their beliefs.

FreedomLover
10-29-2007, 04:02 PM
Hi. (former) "Neocon" here.

I used to hate Rp, to be completely honest. But after a while I realized he's the best chance we've had in a long time to put a "check" on government itself, and in defending our sovereignity.

olehounddog
10-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Welcome

ItsTime
10-29-2007, 04:07 PM
welcome aboard! The best thing about Ron Paul is you do not need to agree with him on every issue. But what he says he means.

werdd
10-29-2007, 04:16 PM

I'll donate on Nov 5.

Cheers.

welcome to the forums glad to have you man

BillyDkid
10-29-2007, 04:20 PM

I'll donate on Nov 5.

Cheers.Ticied off Reps, disgusted liberals, fed up Democrats and hopeful libertarians - not to mention real conservatives. Welcome aboard. It is people like you and me and all the other people who have given up on PAU (politics as usual) who are the hope for this country. Maybe, just maybe we can restore this country to what it was meant to be so we can leave a country for our kids we can be proud of. It is my sincere belief that if we can manage to win the primary that there are many millions of people out there in the same boat who will flock to the RP message. The primary is our big stumbling block.

rrroae
10-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Welcome!

I just wonder what in the world is wrong with the other folks who haven't *gotten it* yet, and continue to defend obsurd positions.

In my humble opinion, my side(R) is more concerned with defeating Hillary than any other factor. That's why we support Rudy as he seems to be the only legitimate R candidate who has a shot.

I and many others like me are so preoccupied with keeping Hillary from office, we blindly push Rudy. Problem is, I DON'T LIKE RUDY. And I believe many others in my party feel the same way.

One day I just thought, "so if we defeat Hillary but get Rudy, what did we really achieve?"

This preoccupation with defeating Hillary is what I believe may be hurting Paul. We're (R's) so blind with our obsession with keeping Hillary out of office, we'll support someone equally inept instead of taking a stand and voting for the candidate who best represents me. This is what RP has to overcome, in my humble opinion, to be the Rep. nominee.

Adamsa
10-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Hi. (former) "Neocon" here.

I used to hate Rp, to be completely honest. But after a while I realized he's the best chance we've had in a long time to put a "check" on government itself, and in defending our sovereignity.

I love you.

steph3n
10-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Agreed, these people have to get out of the "beat Hillary" mindset, because there is no "gaining" to having Rudy!

BTW what part of the nation do you hail from?

In my humble opinion, my side(R) is more concerned with defeating Hillary than any other factor. That's why we support Rudy as he seems to be the only legitimate R candidate who has a shot.

I and many others like me are so preoccupied with keeping Hillary from office, we blindly push Rudy. Problem is, I DON'T LIKE RUDY. And I believe many others in my party feel the same way.

One day I just thought, "so if we defeat Hillary but get Rudy, what did we really achieve?"

This preoccupation with defeating Hillary is what I believe may be hurting Paul. We're (R's) so blind with our obsession with keeping Hillary out of office, we'll support someone equally inept instead of taking a stand and voting for the candidate who best represents me. This is what RP has to overcome, in my humble opinion, to be the Rep. nominee.

Adamsa
10-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Rudy offers the Republican party the chance to sell it's soul to win office. Problem is I don't think he can beat Hillary because he is too much like her.

steph3n
10-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Rudy offers the Republican party the chance to sell it's soul to win office. Problem is I don't think he can beat Hillary because he is too much like her.

right, they are fooling themselves to think he can even win.

austin356
10-29-2007, 04:47 PM

This is my same perception, especially here in a really conservative state.

But.

I think many people dont seem to realize that due to the issue of the war, that Paul can actually defeat Clinton in a landslide.

There are two ways of attacking Hillary.

1)Become Hillary, become a liberal statist Republican and hope people see you as "just a little better" than her.

or (RP's way)

2)Create a broad anti-statist coalition (that may be doomed for failture in the long term) that actually steals many anti-Hillary liberals (think Naomi Wolf), anti-war dems, hate both parties independents, and of course the hate Hillary right (who does not necessarily like Paul, but hates Hillary worse)

The first strategy is doomed. The second will result in a 1980 style landslide.

Here is a concrete and true example:

My roommate is from NJ. His hero is FDR. He loves Bill Maher. He has said on numerous occasions "the gov. which governs a bit more, governs better". He is voting for Dr. Paul. I cannot think of anything in recent history that brought such different people to support the same guy.

JPFromTally
10-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Like the commercial says, "I don't agree with Ron Paul on all the issues...."

freelance
10-29-2007, 05:12 PM
I think a lot of people are just plain fed up. They've watched firsthand as their lifestyles slip through their fingers. They bought the American dream on their credit cards and the grim reaper is banging on their doors. Now that the real estate market has collapsed and people refinanced their homes so that they could max out their credit cards again, well, just wait...the fur is just beginning to fly. And, now they're paying top dollar for food and gas. Some have figured out that Frankenfoods are killer foods, and as they start to buy healthier foods, they're paying even more than those still eating junk.

They KNOW deep down inside that something has gone wrong beyond words, and one by one, they're awakening. One day, the hundredth monkey will awaken. If all goes well, we'll hit the hundredth monkey just in the nick of time--peaking on election day! ;-)

FreedomLover
10-29-2007, 05:19 PM

This is absolutely true. Rudy and Romney, the two most likely nominees at this point, are snakes in the grass. Liberal fakes who like to whoop and holler about iran and islamofacism but know next to nothing about the threat. Their only plan for defense is "spend, spend, spend."

Real conservatives HATE Rudy, and to a lesser extent Romney. I know many socons and regular republicans would rather stay home than be forced to choose between 2 new york liberals.

quickmike
10-29-2007, 05:21 PM

Thats what politics has become in this country. Its red team/blue team. Nothing else matters, not the actual stance the candidates have, not their past record........... just what team they belong on.

A lot of people are waking up to this, but will there be enough of us? Who knows. I definitely think its possible.

PMatt
10-29-2007, 05:26 PM
Agreed, these people have to get out of the "beat Hillary" mindset, because there is no "gaining" to having Rudy!

BTW what part of the nation do you hail from?

A lot of people are voting for Rudy because they for some reason think since he's from NY, he could beat Hillary.

austin356
10-29-2007, 05:44 PM
A lot of people are voting for Rudy because they for some reason think since he's from NY, he could beat Hillary.

Rudy is from NY?

Then why have people yelled "RUDY!!!" to me when I am holding up a Ron Paul sign after an Alabama football game?

Most of us still dont really like northerners and their values (though we are much more tolerant than we used to be), yet these people, who deep down are backwater Jeffersonians somehow have been fooled into this notion of supporting Rudy (who they know nothing about).

A RG presidency, imo, would be worse than a HC presidency, b/c he would be able to push through statist liberal bills.

For example; Romney could more easily get socialized medicine than Clinton or Obama (and is more likely too). This same principle would effect RG's entire presidency, and Republicans would not be able to oppose it.

Diana
10-29-2007, 05:44 PM
It really is a matter in a lot of cases of getting people to vote FOR a candidate instead of against some other one perceived as a threat. I've never voted for anything but a third party presidential candidate in the past. I always threw my vote in for the one that best represented my views, someone I wanted to see win whatever party they were from, or didn't vote at all if none of the choices were any good. I hate that mindset that you're "throwing your vote away" if you don't vote Rep. or Dem. In my opinion you're only wasting your vote if you cast it for someone you don't like instead of someone you do.

I think with Ron Paul a lot of people are finally getting the chance that some of us have been taking all along - to vote FOR someone, and be happy with the choice they made, rather than less sad. I'm glad he chose to run as a republican, as it certainly helps!

And welcome! It's very good to see the numbers of supporters continue to grow!

Dary
10-29-2007, 07:30 PM
Welcome rrroae.

RP4ME
10-29-2007, 07:32 PM
rrroae,

the "gold thing" is something you should research on your own, even read some of Alan Greenspan's books on it of old :)

The "gold standard" is not a bad thing, but it can not be the old in this day and age, gold, silver etc will be needed.

That being said, it would have to be a phased system, while Dr Paul dislikes the FED system, as have many of those in our history for great reasons, he knows it needs to be a phased system, opening to other currency being legally circulated. I am not sure if you know about the Liberty Dollar, but it is an interesting system you may want to check out.

I see a great benefit in such system gaining more steam, remember competition is good, and if the central bank has competition they will work harder to ensure the value of our dollar doesn't continue to slide, knowing people can and will go to another currency :)
They could try but they will fail....peopel would leave that currency like a hot potater......:o)