PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard of this guy? Representative Walter B. Jones

teacherone
06-07-2011, 07:29 AM
G
REENVILLE, N.C. — On matters like abortion, military spending and religion, Representative Walter B. Jones seems thoroughly in tune with this conservative, staunchly Republican district in eastern North Carolina, home to the Marine Corps’ Camp Lejeune and thousands of military retirees.

On the issue of war, however, Mr. Jones has defied typecasting. An early critic of the American invasion of Iraq, he has been ostracized by the Republican leadership in Congress. And now he is emerging as a leading advocate for swiftly withdrawing American forces from Afghanistan, a position that has made him, of all things, a liberal hero.

“When you talk about war, political parties don’t matter,” he said in an interview.

But Mr. Jones may no longer be the outlier he was six years ago. Late last month, an amendment intended to accelerate the withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan sponsored by Mr. Jones and Representative Jim McGovern, Democrat of Massachusetts, nearly passed — in part because 26 Republicans broke with their leadership to support it, triple the number who voted for a similar measure last year. Their ranks included at least three freshmen elected with Tea Party support.

Some foreign policy analysts now see Mr. Jones, 68; Representative Ron Paul, Republican of Texas; and a small coterie of Tea Party stalwarts as the leading edge of a conservative movement to rein in American military power — a break from the muscular foreign policy of President George W. Bush.

good article http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/07/us/politics/07jones.html?_r=1

Johncjackson
06-07-2011, 07:34 AM
Yeah, he's been associated with RP in that way for many years.

sailingaway
06-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Ron says he's probably Ron's best friend on the Hill.

dean.engelhardt
06-07-2011, 07:56 AM
He'd make a good VP.

olehounddog
06-07-2011, 08:04 AM
He'd make a good VP.

I agree

TheTyke
06-07-2011, 08:50 AM
He'd make a good VP.

Interesting idea... he seems more plausible than most of the VP names we've floated.

ValidusCustodiae
06-16-2011, 10:51 PM
I'm very proud and appreciative of my Congressman. He's no Dr. Paul, but he's got my vote. Jones would make an excellent VP.

ValidusCustodiae
06-16-2011, 11:01 PM
BTW, G, it's Greenville, not Reenville lol...

emazur
06-16-2011, 11:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJlalxi9HMM

GunnyFreedom
06-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Ohh yeah. I mean, he's no Ron Paul, but if I were in his district I'd vote for him. and again. and again.

If RP is 100, then Jones is about 87-90. Which is a lot given that your average congress critter ranks about "12" at best in my book. Maybe GOP avg (excluding our golden boys) about 15 and DEM avg about 5.

I dunno, I'm punchy. in session from 10AM to midnight, have to go back at 10AM

trey4sports
06-16-2011, 11:20 PM
Interesting idea... he seems more plausible than most of the VP names we've floated.

Yeah, no doubt about that!

Vessol
06-16-2011, 11:28 PM
I actually feel slightly ashamed that I know so little about Walter B. Jones, especially considering that I am a constituent of his.

I knew that he was on our side for the most part economically and voted for him in 2008, but I did not know he supported both Ron Paul on foreign issues and fiscal policy. I'm actually quite impressed. He mentions constituent's of his who ask about Ron Paul, I want to know who they are! Lol, they sure as hell don't live where I live. Though the general area around New Berne is quite liberal.

GunnyFreedom
06-16-2011, 11:32 PM
I actually feel slightly ashamed that I know so little about Walter B. Jones, especially considering that I am a constituent of his.

I knew that he was on our side for the most part economically and voted for him in 2008, but I did not know he supported both Ron Paul on foreign issues and fiscal policy. I'm actually quite impressed. He mentions constituent's of his who ask about Ron Paul, I want to know who they are! Lol, they sure as hell don't live where I live. Though the general area around New Berne is quite liberal.

I think he converted to our foreign policy in 2004... There was a couple years of transition, and now he is almost whole-hog Ron Paul in many areas, PATRIOT, foreign policy, etc etc

libertybrewcity
06-16-2011, 11:35 PM
yes, why does he have to be 68 years old:(

tpreitzel
06-16-2011, 11:45 PM
NVM ... I just need some rest.

vita3
06-17-2011, 05:58 AM
Walter Jones has proven to be a very solid politician, too bad Blackwater is in his district. Wonder what he has really done in reality to stop public $$ going into their pockets.

johnrocks
06-17-2011, 06:09 AM
Him and Rep. John Duncan of Tennessee are among my favorite Congressmen other than RP.

pacelli
06-17-2011, 06:10 AM
He's my congressman. Very accessible, he does personally respond to emails. And yes, Greenville, NC.

james1906
06-17-2011, 06:49 AM
Only remember of Congress to endorse RP in 2008. He was my 2nd favorite congresscritter, but with Amash in, he's fallen to 3rd.

brandon
06-17-2011, 07:36 AM
Yep, he's a good one.

hamilton1049
06-17-2011, 07:40 AM
W. B. Jones Jr is my congressional rep and I have supported him from the beginning, a great vp choice.