PDA

View Full Version : Return of the Anti-Interventionist Right

bobbyw24
06-07-2011, 04:33 AM
By Patrick J. Buchanan

Late last month, when U.S. air strikes caused civilian casualties in Afghanistan, an angry Hamid Karzai issued an ultimatum.

If future U.S. strikes are not restricted, we will take “unilateral action” and America may be treated like an “occupying power.”

That brought this blistering retort from one Republican hawk.

“If President Karzai continues with these public ultimatums, we must consider our options about the immediate future of U.S. troops in his country. If he actually follows through on his claim that Afghan forces will take ‘unilateral action’ against NATO forces which conduct such air raids to take out terrorists and terrorist positions, that should result in the immediate withdrawal of U.S. forces from Afghanistan and the suspension of U.S. aid.”

http://buchanan.org/blog/return-of-the-anti-interventionist-right-4770

Don Lapre
06-07-2011, 05:13 AM
Ron Paul was thoroughly mocked - and treated like a GOP red-headed-step-child in 2008.

Yet now, in 2011, what he was/is selling has gained serious traction among a LOT of conservatives and independents.
His economic views, his foreign policy views, and much of what he says about our liberty.

Dick Morris said he sees the GOP nomination coming down to Romney and Bachmann.
A country club GOPer and a 'tea party' GOPer.

I think he's on the right track with his analysis - although perhaps not with the names.
It could be Pawlenty as the country clubber - and Paul as the 'tea party' guy.

I personally find Bachmann to be a joke - and while I agree with much of what she says, don't feel comfortable at all with her on foreign policy - and don't feel she is presidential material at all.

I think she's an intellectual lightweight put up next to Ron Paul.

Trouble is that while a lot of independents like Paul's views on foreign policy, there is still a very large % of GOP voters who can't get the silly - war on terror - bullshit out of their head.

And I suspect most of these folks would vote Bachmann over Paul because of it.

At any rate, Ron's positions HAVE gained a lot of traction among a large segment of the population - and among the youth.

The future is fairly bright for a breakthrough - providing the republic doesn't completely die first.

bobbyw24
06-07-2011, 06:07 AM
At any rate, Ron's positions HAVE gained a lot of traction among a large segment of the population - and among the youth.

The future is fairly bright for a breakthrough - providing the republic doesn't completely die first.

Bump

lester1/2jr
06-07-2011, 03:07 PM
The apathy toward our policing the world is palpable. If they ended the Iraq and Afghanistan wars today there would be no protests. No one would even notice.

freshjiva
06-07-2011, 03:19 PM
While this is encouraging, it doesn't indicate to me any "shift" in thinking. Politicians will always be opportunists. The vast majority of the 87 Republicans voting with Kucinich's resolution probably only did it because the President is a Democrat.

The foreign policy will continue unless there is a massive grassroots movement akin to the anti-war movement of the 60s. That will not happen so long Obama is President. He's done quite a job in silencing the anti-war Left.

rich34
06-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Ron needs to start speaking like Rand in order to win the primary. Take this strategy and Ron becomes a much more serious threat. It's obviously to late for that, but i really think Rand could take this field by storm!

FreedomProsperityPeace
06-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Good article. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/images/icons/icon14.png I miss hearing from Pat. I wish he would get on a real network so I could hear from him more often.

Southron
06-07-2011, 09:51 PM
The fact that they have stretched these "wars" out for so long is working in our favor. The war fever has long since passed and if they continue them I think we will gain ground every election.

Perhaps we can tear away the "national defense conservatives" from the neocon wing.

Tyr
06-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Outside of the Christian Zionist wing is there even anyone left that's for continuing these wars?

lester1/2jr
06-08-2011, 04:54 PM
I saw a poll that like 73% os americans did not want the US involved in Libya. You think Hillary cares? doubt it