PDA

View Full Version : Beck's new gig: 2-hour, online, subscription-only

emazur
06-07-2011, 02:05 AM
$5/month for show only, $10/month for show + radio show video feed + extra crap. Doesn't sound too great to me - his radio show sucks (shootin' the bull and witless prattle), I used to like his TV show at the beginning until he just started dumping guests and spent the entire show rambling away to himself - which was bad enough for 1 hour, but it's going to be 2 and you have to pay extra money to see it? Spend more time doing specials and have on more guests like G. Edward Griffin, then maybe he'll have something worth watching. And who gives a crap about Stu and S.E. Cupp? I don't predict much will come of this. He's not even offering a free trial month to get people on the hook
http://www.glennbeck.com/2011/06/06/glenn-beck-and-mercury-radio-arts-announce-gbtv-home-of-glenns-new-two-hour-show/

Glenn’s two-hour show will be broadcast live weekdays from 5 to 7PM ET from a newly-built set designed by Glenn and his team at the iconic NEP Studios in Midtown Manhattan. The show will feature Glenn’s unique fusion of entertainment and enlightenment and will include contributors like Mercury’s own S.E. Cupp and Brian Sack. Joel Cheatwood, the former Fox News Channel executive who joined Mercury earlier this year, has been appointed President of Programming for all of GBTV and will oversee Glenn’s show.

Cheatwood will also be responsible for the production and acquisition of all content for the network. In addition to Glenn’s new show, GBTV will launch with two other programs: A six camera simulcast of Glenn’s three hour radio show and “The 4th Hour” starring Pat Gray and Stu Burguiere. The network will continue to add a variety of scripted and un-scripted content produced by Mercury and other companies and has already signed a development deal with award winning and critically acclaimed television producer and #1 New York Times bestselling author Brad Thor, who has sold over 2 million copies of his books nationwide. Further information about content deals and plans will be announced over the summer.

A Son of Liberty
06-07-2011, 03:24 AM
To obscurity, and beyonnnnd!

Great news! :D

cindy25
06-07-2011, 03:44 AM
its too much for 1 program, even if its daily. Fox news charges cable companies 30c to 50c a month per subscriber. CNN even less.

and it will end up on the torrent sites, just as his specials do.

the audience will be too small. guests will be hard to find.

but when you think just 10,000 subs is $100,000 a month it will make money. if he gets 50,000 subs he is at $6 million a year. that is less than 5% of his audience now. Beck is crazy like a Fox. (pun intended)

emazur
06-07-2011, 04:46 AM
its too much for 1 program, even if its daily. Fox news charges cable companies 30c to 50c a month per subscriber. CNN even less.

and it will end up on the torrent sites, just as his specials do.

the audience will be too small. guests will be hard to find.

but when you think just 10,000 subs is $100,000 a month it will make money. if he gets 50,000 subs he is at $6 million a year. that is less than 5% of his audience now. Beck is crazy like a Fox. (pun intended)

Depends on how much you like Beck and what your other options are. I'm a paid subscriber to the Freedom Watch audio podcast ($60/yr = Beck's offering but I get no video) and it's worth it for me b/c not only do I not have Fox Biz, I don't even get CNN or Fox News (I'm on Comcast's ghetto plan: mostly OTA channels + a few extras like Discovery Channel. I'm on a hill where OTA antenna reception is bad but this plan if fairly cheap). And Beck claims 80,000 subscribers already:

Insider Extreme’s 80,000 subscribers who have been paying $9.95 a month for that service will automatically be upgraded to GBTV Plus.

cindy25
06-07-2011, 06:07 AM
this could set a trend; any radio/tv host with any sort of fan base can launch a similar site, and do better than they would working for MSM. smaller audience, but more money.

and Beck will get both the sub money, and ads.

speciallyblend
06-07-2011, 06:32 AM
To obscurity, and beyonnnnd!

Great news! :D

Exactly any fool that would pay for beck deserves to lose their money!! suckers

cindy25
06-07-2011, 06:52 AM
this is not about Beck; if it makes money it will change TV, first news, then reality, then scripted; imagine a scripted series with a dedicated fan base, but that base is scattered worldwide or too small to justify network time. that series could continue in the same way that Beck is dealing with being fired, and in reality Beck was fired.

kahless
06-07-2011, 08:44 AM
I do not care about cable and would rather all programs I watch be served online at my convenience. So for me as a casual viewer of his TV program I would have been a potential subscriber but no way in hell am I going to pay that.

The media is going to have a field day when he fails and he will fail due to the high subscription costs.

A better idea for him would have been to start a internet based liberty TV network with a variety of shows and entertainment channels. Even then the subscription rate is too high to be successful and would be better off being advertiser supported. In that case he may lose money at first since it would take time to build the subscriber base.

thehungarian
06-07-2011, 09:27 AM
I think Rush charges like $5.95 or so per month for a subscription to his site, so it's at least comparable to something. I was a former subscriber, yes.

doodle
06-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Would fail.

ravedown
06-07-2011, 10:28 AM
after an initial bump, it will trail off into obscurity within a year.
1. he's charging too much, with free podcasts and satellite radio..the market is too competitive to expect people to pay that much.
2. his message is too inconsistent. his positions change and he can't decide if he's an evangelical or pundit or both.
3. he won't settle for staying below the spotlight..he's been hugely successful and now becoming a niche program is not enough for his ego. that's why he stages these live events-he want the praise, likes being god-like.

AdamT
06-07-2011, 10:30 AM
I predict an epic fail here.