PDA

View Full Version : Is there any point in which the American people will believe that they are no longer free?

Cutlerzzz
06-06-2011, 04:37 PM
It doesn't seem to matter to most. Right now most give 4-5 months income to the government every year, the government does not need warants from a judge to arrest us, it can shoot us for having just an ounce of suspected marijuana in our home, the federal government claims the right to assassinate us, to spy on us, to torture us, to detain us indefinately, to draft us, we are not allowed to plan our own retirements, make health care decisions for ourselves, primary education is mandatory, the government claims the right to ban what ever products it wants, to censor virtually what ever speech it wants, tell us how much money we are allowed to make a year, and the list goes on...

If I tell someone that as Americans that we are no longer free, instead of debating the points based on merits, they usually get mad and call me anti-American. I believe that most people think that "democracy" is freedom, as opposed to possibly the ugliest form of government. This can probably be attributed to public schooling.

At this point in time, is there anything the government can do that would convince the American people that we are not free?

FreedomProsperityPeace
06-06-2011, 06:58 PM
At this point in time, is there anything the government can do that would convince the American people that we are not free?It would take something pretty drastic. You have people like Krauthammer on TV, denying that we're any less free. A lot of people, faced with facts of our diminished freedom, would say something like: "well, we're still freer than (insert 3rd world country here)", as if that's some sort of consolation. :rolleyes: Or they would say something stupid like: "I'm willing to give up a little bit of freedom so that I don't get blown up by terrorists!"

A lot of Americans take freedom for granted. They don't value it because they've always had it.

ivflight
06-06-2011, 08:42 PM
We still have tons of freedom compared to what most humans have had in history. "The American people" don't have beliefs, individuals have beliefs. Each person has their own threshold when they start to get angry about the loss of their individual freedoms. The questions is what will it take to get enough people on our side.

Seraphim
06-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Critical mass is near, my friend.

We still have tons of freedom compared to what most humans have had in history. "The American people" don't have beliefs, individuals have beliefs. Each person has their own threshold when they start to get angry about the loss of their individual freedoms. The questions is what will it take to get enough people on our side.

Vessol
06-06-2011, 08:54 PM
I'd like to hope they will eventually, but have some conversations out on the street and if there is any glitters of hope it is usually neatly tied in a partisan wrapping paper.

doodle
06-06-2011, 09:09 PM
I hope it would be BEFORE all of the following and especially the highlighted become norm in America as it would be unthinkable... but I'm not very confident looking at all the previously unthinkable things happening in America today:

Looking at the current direction of things, if Obama handlers stayed in control of White House beyond 2012, won't be too surprised if :

Number of Americans on Food Stamps breaks all previous records:

link (http://www.thestreet.com/story/11137852/1/food-stamp-participation-rises-for-37th-straight-month.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN)

Americans daughters and sons are asked to undress completely before boarding planes, trains to make America secure.

link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx153bakIdQ&NR=1)

Female reporters are asked to remove their underwear before meeting with Obama:

link (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/view-from-jerusalem-with-harriet-sherwood/2011/jan/17/israel)

Cutlerzzz
06-06-2011, 09:42 PM
I'd like to hope they will eventually, but have some conversations out on the street and if there is any glitters of hope it is usually neatly tied in a partisan wrapping paper.

I can frequently connect with Republicans about the loss of freedom on issues like taxes, Obamacare, and gun control; but, once I mention that it was also happening under Bush, they change their mind on the whole freedom issue. It is only when Democrats are in office that they care about freedom, and even then it is only some freedoms. The same is true with Democrats, or atleast was when they were in office.

daviddee
06-06-2011, 09:44 PM

Cutlerzzz
06-06-2011, 09:46 PM
In answer to your question:

"Is there any point in which the American people will believe that they are no longer free?"

Probably when their second cornea (or kidney) is being harvested...

I was going to say:

offspring taken
land stolen
money stolen
general liberty

But all 4 of the above are already happening and nothing is being done. So I think it will have to be forced organ removal... Cavity searches -might- be a nudge, but it is doubtful as the new TSA techniques has barely gotten a wimper from the mundanes.

I lol'd. +Rep.

Anti Federalist
06-06-2011, 09:47 PM
At this point in time, is there anything the government the government can do that would convince the American people that we are not free?

Short answer: no.

You could be shipping them off to the gulag and they would thank the brave boys in blue doing it, in order to keep them safe.

Let a low yield nuke go off or biological attack happen and see what government will be able to get away with then.

JamesButabi
06-06-2011, 10:11 PM
When the currency collapses and people have to provide real services with real demand.

doodle
06-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Line should been drawn here:

video link (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?289543-Miss-America-sexually-molested-by-TSA-%E2%80%9Cscreener%E2%80%9D&p=3231882&viewfull=1#post3231882)

Vessol
06-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Line should been drawn here:

video link (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?289543-Miss-America-sexually-molested-by-TSA-%E2%80%9Cscreener%E2%80%9D&p=3231882&viewfull=1#post3231882)

I'd say the line shouldv'e been drawn with the income tax.

Pericles
06-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Most people in the US will behave just as Jews did in Germany and Nazi occupied Europe.

Seraphim
06-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Shameful silence?

I.e. Complicit.

Most people in the US will behave just as Jews did in Germany and Nazi occupied Europe.

Chester Copperpot
06-06-2011, 11:39 PM
Maybe these are the moments that wake us up... I know I had my moment 10 years ago.. And like Pastor Anderson getting the shit kicked out of him at those inland checkpoints that mustve been his wake up call that he wasnt free.

I think thats it.. We each have a run-in with govt and it is then and only then that the scales come off and we realize we are not free.