PDA

View Full Version : Obama losing support from his voters. Good or bad thing?

CapitalistJerk
06-06-2011, 03:52 PM
This post is meant to examine the psyche of the American voting public.

When we read or hear of Obama's loss of support from, well, his supporters, should we be glad or be extra careful? Sure, it is possible that people realize that it's best for the government to withdraw from central economic planning and let the private sector do it's thing, but what if that is not the case? What if, they actually stop supporting the president because he is not as to the left as they thought when they voted for him?

Personally, I think it's the latter. From people that think that he has been too willing to compromise with Republicans, to black people that think that he has not done enough for the black community. It's a mixed bag, but from what I've experienced, people are withdrawing support because he's not acting enough like a dictator and turning the tables on traditional American values and capitalism. It's not easy for a leftist to turn libertarian, even though I am an example, I think I am a rare animal.

Well, enough of me talking, what do you all think?

jmdrake
06-06-2011, 04:05 PM
You know as an African American I get tired of the "Black folks just want a handout" nonsense. Most other blacks I know are not on welfare and recognize welfare as a problem. That said, Ron Paul himself has said that when he went to Washington he thought welfare queens were the problem, but soon realize corporate welfare was a much bigger issue. The congressional black caucus initially voted against TARP, and only signed on it based on arm twisting (and promises) from then candidate Obama. After voting for that horrid bill, and seeing their own constituents still being sold down the river like the rest of the country, I can't blame the CBC for being upset.

Okay, now that I've got that off my chest, Obama voters that are turning against him, initially voted for him largely for two reasons. 1) They were still mad at the republicans for the war. 2) They are finally starting to blame the democrats for the continued bad economy. That's it. Yes you will find some "Obama hasn't been progressive enough" people, but there cover is "Look at what he did for the banks and GM and the rest of WallStreet as compared to mainstreet". These people will still support and will vote for Obama. They have no other choice. Plus the healthcare bill is more than they could have hoped for. But again, even among these liberals, there is still angst over the wars and the economy. The biggest wakeup call I've seen is when ask Obama supporters "So what do you think about us supporting Al Qaeda in Libya"? Of course they ask for documentation, which I am more than happy to provide.

ItsTime
06-06-2011, 04:10 PM
I have a friend on wall street that does huge volumes, that is a democrat and voted for Obama. And I quote "he (Obama) has no fucking clue what he is doing! He is driving the economy into the ground" He went on to say that he is thinking about backing Ron Paul just on his economic plank.

YumYum
06-06-2011, 04:16 PM
I asked my cousin, who is a democrat liberal and voted for Obama, why is he upset with him? He is upset because he didn't push hard enough for a public option in the Obamacare bill, and the biggest reason he said he is mad at him: "He lied." The man is a liar. Even liberals don't like being lied to.

CapitalistJerk
06-06-2011, 04:29 PM
I asked my cousin, who is a democrat liberal and voted for Obama, why is he upset with him? He is upset because he didn't push hard enough for a public option in the Obamacare bill, and the biggest reason he said he is mad at him: "He lied." The man is a liar. Even liberals don't like being lied to.

Well, I feel the same way you do.

Drive down a ghetto neighborhood in June around the hours of 10AM - 4PM. There are tons of people out on their porches. Maybe their time would be better spent looking for a job, rather than living off welfare and section 8 and not playing xbox all day.

I'm of the belief that if you want to get yourself out of poverty, you can -- simply by working and gaining job experience. But all the government freebees are way too enticing.

jmdrake
06-06-2011, 04:32 PM

Drive down a ghetto neighborhood in June around the hours of 10AM - 4PM. There are tons of people out on their porches. Maybe their time would be better spent looking for a job, rather than living off welfare and section 8 and not playing xbox all day.

I'm of the belief that if you want to get yourself out of poverty, you can -- simply by working and gaining job experience. But all the government freebees are way too enticing.

Let's see. You drive through a poor neighborhood and you assume everyone you see on their porch is getting section 8 and doesn't have a job but plays xbox all day. :rolleyes: You might have quit being a liberal, but you haven't quit being a collectivist.

BlackTerrel
06-06-2011, 07:59 PM

Are they on the porch or playing XBox? Which is it?

Also most black people I know have upgraded to the XBox 360 so I know you are lying.

cindy25
06-06-2011, 09:14 PM
it depends on where the Obama supporters end up.

young voters should , and are, switching to Paul; blacks will stick with Obama but it does not matter as they mainly vote Dem anyway. Jews could be a problem if they gravitate to Bachmann.

as far as blacks not working blame LBJ; he made it profitable to play basketball all day. people do what is in their own self interest, and if sitting home beats work then you sit. and while past generations of blacks got out of poverty by working at Chevy or a steel mill, no one will get anywhere working a minimum wage McJob.

CapitalistJerk
06-07-2011, 04:59 AM
it depends on where the Obama supporters end up.

young voters should , and are, switching to Paul; blacks will stick with Obama but it does not matter as they mainly vote Dem anyway. Jews could be a problem if they gravitate to Bachmann.

as far as blacks not working blame LBJ; he made it profitable to play basketball all day. people do what is in their own self interest, and if sitting home beats work then you sit. and while past generations of blacks got out of poverty by working at Chevy or a steel mill, no one will get anywhere working a minimum wage McJob.

I think Jews tend to vote to the left. But support of Israel from the right may sway their vote.

Don't down McJobs. I worked several low paying jobs that most kids wouldn't work today. I answered phones for a pizza restaurant. I swiped people's membership cards at the YMCA to allow them into the gym. I worked at a call center for a marketing group and called random people to ask them to do a survey over the phone. Now, I work a much higher paying job, but I respect the value of shit jobs. It's a good experience.

The point is, you have to start somewhere. If they don't start with what you call McJobs, they definitely will not get the better paying jobs.

CapitalistJerk
06-07-2011, 05:06 AM
Oh, and throwing around the word collectivism doesn't mean anything to me. True collectivism is thinking that the group is more important than the individual. I don't think that way. Recognizing the behavior of people that belong to a certain group is not collectivism. I don't have time to meet every black person or every poor person, so I go with what I have experienced in the past. If you don't agree, that's fine. Everyone has prejudices, and prejudice is very useful because as human beings we have limited information.

jmdrake
06-07-2011, 05:52 AM
Oh, and throwing around the word collectivism doesn't mean anything to me. True collectivism is thinking that the group is more important than the individual. I don't think that way. Recognizing the behavior of people that belong to a certain group is not collectivism. I don't have time to meet every black person or every poor person, so I go with what I have experienced in the past. If you don't agree, that's fine. Everyone has prejudices, and prejudice is very useful because as human beings we have limited information.

Wallowing in your own ignorance is not the way to win over the swing voters you claim to be seeking. I don't know if you are trolling are just not very bright.

BlackTerrel
06-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Or both.

sailingaway
06-07-2011, 08:16 PM
I think collectivism is viewing people as groups. We aren't collectivists here, by and large, and while we may want collectivists to consider voting for our candidate, I doubt collectivism is going to be our particular bonding territory.

amy31416
06-07-2011, 08:18 PM

I wonder how a trailer park in Alabama would compare? (Hell, since we're "stealth" stereotyping here.)

Tyr
06-07-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm not for sure where you're getting this "black people will" stuff from, but it certainly isn't reality. I can tell you I work with 'em daily, live round 'em, attend night classes with 'em once a week and am friends with plenty of 'em and the opinions vary just as much as any other grouping of people. Of course i've seen more of a preponderance of being against Obama over his race baiting and allowing Eric Holder to run amok more than anything else. I won't proclaim every person with dark skin believes such, i'll leave that sort of thing to you and Faux News.

Back on topic Obama is continually bleeding support and it is a VERY good thing. On the whole racial bullshit, people are seeing he and his circle are racists. He's losing alot of black people who don't feel like trying to relive the 1950's and create a racial battle, he is losing latinos who and this is going to blow your mind, who largely aren't racist, DON'T see themselves as some freakin' victim and just want to work a job and provide for their families like everyone else and he's bleeding off plenty of white folk too, as we've witnessed. Some due to their own racism, as we're seeing and some due to a disdain for racism in any form it takes.

Moving along large chunks of the center are realizing he isn't governing from the center as they hoped and are dropping support. Some of the hardcore left are dropping support because he isn't left enough. The unemployed are rapidly dropping everytime he trots out his phony unemployment numbers and lying out of his ass, all the while jobs aren't being created, they're still bleeding off. He's losing supporters from all over the spectrum, that is a great thing for America AND the Ron Paul Revolution. These people aren't dropping support for him to support some RHINO corporatist like Romney, they're dropping support and looking for someone to fix this mess. Ron Pauls shot is better than 2008 and alot of these folks very well could become allies or at least on election day Ron Paul supporters for the time being.

squarepusher
06-07-2011, 10:33 PM
America's racism is coming out

BlackTerrel
06-07-2011, 10:41 PM
I'm not for sure where you're getting this "black people will" stuff from, but it certainly isn't reality. I can tell you I work with 'em daily, live round 'em, attend night classes with 'em once a week and am friends with plenty of 'em and the opinions vary just as much as any other grouping of people.

That's crazy. Who is this strange mysterious group of whom you speak :D

Just kidding. Good post.