PDA

View Full Version : Political Breaking News: Rick Santorum announces 2012 presidential bid

tangent4ronpaul
06-06-2011, 05:34 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/06/politics/main20069209.shtml

Former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum announced on Monday what has been expected for months: He is running for president.

Santorum, the former No. 3 Republican in the U.S. Senate and a favorite among his party's anti-abortion rights bloc, made official his White House aspirations from the western Pennsylvania coal fields where his Italian immigrant grandfather worked, announcing on ABC's "Good Morning America" that he was "in it to win it." He has already hired a small staff and has made frequent visits to early voting states New Hampshire, Iowa and South Carolina.

The blunt-talking conservative lacks the name recognition and fundraising organization of his better-known rivals, but the two-term senator's advisers are counting on social conservatives who have huge sway in some early nominating states and have yet to settle on a favorite candidate.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/06/politics/main20069209.shtml#ixzz1OUkGgRzk

SHIT! :(

tangent4ronpaul
06-06-2011, 05:36 AM
Why don't we call him Sanitarium? - The INSANE, Totally Loony Toons choice! :D

Johnnybags
06-06-2011, 05:42 AM
Yawn, he'll be out faster than he got in. Yest another 4 minute man out there to protect Romney and waste debate time. Next debate might have 10 on stage and the look of a circus side show.

CaptUSA
06-06-2011, 05:45 AM
Yawn, he'll be out faster than he got in. Yest another 4 minute man out there to protect Romney and waste debate time. Next debate might have 10 on stage and the look of a circus side show.
Exactly. This is why we need more like Johnson in the debates. It helps keep Paul from looking like the oddball. While that may be desirable to us, it's not going to be desirable to a typical GOP primary voter.

Cowlesy
06-06-2011, 05:46 AM
My father, who is extremely conservative and a life long Pennsylvanian, and will pretty much give anyone a chance, thinks Rick Santorum is a jerk and will not vote for him.

I think the guy is an ass. We met him in 9th grade and I think my teachers were embarassed in how he shoo'd us around to quickly take a picture and then take off at the U.S. Capitol.

My impression of him is that he thinks his sh*t doesn't smell and that no "conservative" could *possibly* not support him.

pauladin
06-06-2011, 05:46 AM
won't even make it to the primaries.

Napoleon's Shadow
06-06-2011, 05:48 AM
Who?

Chieppa1
06-06-2011, 06:13 AM
lol.

Ray
06-06-2011, 06:28 AM
If you guys aren't too familiar with him, make sure to go google him!

CaptUSA
06-06-2011, 06:46 AM
In most cases, when speaking of other candidates, you will hear me speak civilly, so as not to turn off any potential supporters that may eventually end up supporting Ron Paul. You will not hear that stuff about Santorum. He's emblematic of what's wrong with the republican party and why I've been affiliated otherwise for so many years. I find it hard to believe that anyone who falls for Santorum could ever be turned onto to Paul. They will have no idea about how government should be limited in its scope. Rick just thinks government should do what HE wants it to do.

I still believe that if we're going to win this thing, we have to take down the Santorums, Gingrichs, and Romneys, and court the Palins, Bachmans, Johnsons, and Cains.

Cowlesy
06-06-2011, 06:54 AM
If there is a consummate Bush Republican, it is Rick Santorum.

angelatc
06-06-2011, 06:57 AM

Exactly. He's absolutely running on the Bush 2.0 platform. He doesn't have a chance of beating Obama.

If these people can't figure out that they lost in 2006 for a reason that didn't involve the unemployment rate, then I don't know what to say, other than let them lose again.

Jingles
06-06-2011, 06:58 AM
I'm from PA and no one likes Rick Santorum. Not one person I know/heard of in PA likes him at all. Just wait until the primaries and he gets like 1% of the vote in his home state.

COpatriot
06-06-2011, 07:27 AM
The only people that this guy will appeal to is the hardest of the hard, hard right social conservatives. He really doesn't like the gays.

stuntman stoll
06-06-2011, 07:30 AM
If you guys aren't too familiar with him, make sure to go google him!

haha. Even if you think you know him, google "santorum."

acptulsa
06-06-2011, 07:31 AM
I'm from PA and no one likes Rick Santorum. Not one person I know/heard of in PA likes him at all. Just wait until the primaries and he gets like 1% of the vote in his home state.

I actually find it amusing that there's basically two candidates in the race who are still respected in their home states--Paul and Johnson. But if you expect the voices of Pennsylvanians to get enough airplay to torpedo the guy, you expect too much.

sailingaway
06-06-2011, 07:31 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/06/politics/main20069209.shtml

Former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum announced on Monday what has been expected for months: He is running for president.

SHIT! :(

You really care? Santorum is the reason people are giving why it is unfair to exclude Johnson from the debate -- he has never made the polling requirement, not for this debate, and not for the one in South Carolina. He just is a recent enough Senator that some of his 'connections' are still in power.

t0rnado
06-06-2011, 08:16 AM

Santorum represents neocons like Bill Frist and Trent Lott who controlled the Senate between 2000 and 2006.

He is definitely the most socially conservative guy in the field right now and no one can question his consistency when it comes those issues.

acptulsa
06-06-2011, 08:22 AM
This candidacy is just a sign of how incredibly fractured the G.O.P. is right now. Nothing more. Whoever gets the most independents voting in the primary wins. It's just that simple.

This won't be Santorum.

specsaregood
06-06-2011, 08:24 AM
I still want to know why as a someone that claims to be a catholic why he continues to endorse and promote behavior that the pope explicitly condemned.

CaptUSA
06-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Ha! I just googled "Santorum" to find out what everyone was alluding to. That's great!

BuddyRey
06-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Rick Santorum is just Sam Brownback with even less charisma.

pacelli
06-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Just another idiot who will be a waste of oxygen and time on-stage, thus preventing Dr. Paul from talking about the economy and why he is the only one on stage with a plan to fix it for good.

Tax the Fed
06-06-2011, 03:29 PM
. . . Sam Brownback with even less charisma.

but more quotable . . .
Santorum : "Dog pee's on you, soldier on"

Read more about the story . . . dogpeecantstopsantorum.com

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/28/rachel-maddow-rick-santorum-google-problem_n_868430.html

kahless
06-06-2011, 03:31 PM
The good thing is he picked a bad day to announce. The media cycle will be all about Weiner and will likely continue to be all week.

Feeding the Abscess
06-06-2011, 04:05 PM
How fitting that the day Santorum announces, we're all talking about wiener.

HarryBrowneLives
06-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Rick Santorum = Case of Premature Electulation:D