PDA

View Full Version : The next MoneyBomb PLANNING thread

RileyE104
06-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Shortly after the May 5th moneybomb there was a sudden push for another within just one month, on today's date of June 5.

Many of us disagreed with the date and said that it was too soon, but our arguments were not enough to halt it as so many people had already pledged and had been spreading the word across the internet.

Now, although many of us cried out that this date was a mistake, I have to say that we should all agree that while it WAS a very risky move, it was a success. Sometimes we have to take risks and that's what we did by committing to a moneybomb so soon after we just had one. After all, we could have failed miserably. Thankfully we pulled through, and I for one am sorry that I ever doubted the persistence behind this movement.

HOWEVER, we can't afford to take risks ALL the time. That's why I believe we need to better plan the next moneybomb. The next one shouldn't be until at least LATE July, so there can be much more time to spread the word. I think it's a decent time span too because Ron will have much more media coverage through speeches, polls and debates by then.

<discussion>

SUGGESTED THEMES:

1) Ames straw poll, which occurs on August 13th.
---- possible dates:
> three day moneybomb (July 29, 30, 31)
> July 19th moneybomb - http://www.readyamesfire.com/

2) Independence Day, two day moneybomb (July 4,5) - http://independencedaybomb.com/

Other Suggestions:
> end-of-the-quarter push, three weeks leading up to June 30th (followed by late July moneybomb for Ames preparation)

libertybrewcity
06-05-2011, 09:16 PM
lol, this money bomb hasn't even ended yet...i guess it's never too early to start planning

low preference guy
06-05-2011, 09:16 PM
wait till this one ends

sailingaway
06-05-2011, 09:17 PM
You know, I have opinions, but I have only one demand. We pick something and settle on it. We didn't 'know for sure' this was going to be 'the' money bomb until last week and I think we could have done better.

But given the way it was, I think we did pretty well.

sailingaway
06-05-2011, 09:17 PM
wait till this one ends

This I agree with. Let's discuss this tomorrow.

RileyE104
06-05-2011, 09:18 PM
lol, this money bomb hasn't even ended yet...i guess it's never too early to start planning

wait till this one ends

Let's discuss this tomorrow.

I never said it was over.. I said it was a success, which is obvious.

truthdivides
06-05-2011, 09:18 PM
I think www.readyamesfire.com should be the next one.

UtahApocalypse
06-05-2011, 09:20 PM
I think we need too seriously consider the point now that planning a real big money bomb takes a couple months.... and a couple months is something we do not have. Right now we all need to be all in, both in donations, and in finding new donors for later. Ames is just a couple months away.... if we have a lack of funds, or a moneybomb being to close to put the funds into play we could lose there. If we lose Ames we likely lose it all.

I think the campaign needs to just put up a 5 million ticker, set the goal for July 4th. That way over the next month we will constantly be piling in funds. Anything not collected by the 4th then can be the needs for the moneybomb. In reality that is much more like the first ever money bombs happpend. I remember celebration threads here as we hit the first ever 100k, and then a million, and the rest is history.

RileyE104
06-05-2011, 09:21 PM

Wow, there's already a site up for the next one! lmao

I like that theme, A LOT, but maybe it should be a week/few days before the Ames poll?
That way the moneybomb will be fresh in people's minds from media coverage before they vote there.

Thomas
06-05-2011, 09:24 PM
According to Trevor Lyman and assuredly the campaign, the next moneybomb is July 4th-5th (http://independencedaybomb.com/). However, I think our grassroots fundraising is in desperate need of innovation. We pioneered the moneybomb, but it's not new, not as exciting, and everyone uses it. Tickers for example. What happened to the 24/7 fundraising ticker? I think that encouraged donations. The meter on the ticker used to be a cool image like the statue of liberty, a thermometer, or picture of the constitution, but now it's just a line. And what happened to ronpaulgraphs? Those statistics were fascinating and tons of people checked it regularly.

The grassroots needs to unleash its creative energy.

civusamericanus
06-05-2011, 09:26 PM

The next money bomb needs to revolve around Ames Straw Poll (Supposedly it does), which is scheduled for August 13, 2011 at the Hilton Coliseum on the campus of Iowa State University. Someone mentioned perhaps a week long money bomb say from July 12th to July 19th. That will give the campaign an added boast before the event, and allow them to secure their money before the big event.

WE also need to have official and grassroots phonebanks in place to get the donations. If I don't hear some serious plans for phonebank fundraising in the next week, it will be hard to pull off with the limited time we have before Ames.

Plus the Iowa for Ron Paul Projects site http://iowaforronpaul.com/projects.php is down right now, which is a serious issue, considering we were trying to get a mini-bomb going towards that project tonight. We need assurances that this site will have a 99.999% uptime, especially during money bombs!

Right now their's a Independence Day Money Bomb Site up and an Ready Ames Fire site up, which one is it going to be, we can't have both. IMHO we need to dump the independence day one, and go with the July 19th Amesreadyfire one, and do some serious planning around it!

Bryan
06-05-2011, 09:27 PM
I think the campaign needs to just put up a 5 million ticker, set the goal for July 4th. That way over the next month we will constantly be piling in funds. Anything not collected by the 4th then can be the needs for the moneybomb. In reality that is much more like the first ever money bombs happpend. I remember celebration threads here as we hit the first ever 100k, and then a million, and the rest is history.
I agree- but they really could just do an end-of-quarter push, which ends June 30. They need to set a thermometer for us to bust-- this will give us 3+ weeks to do it. Then do the Ames bomb on July 19th. July 4th, people are with their families, or out on vacation. It's nice symbolism, but a bad date IMO.

RileyE104
06-05-2011, 09:28 PM
According to Trevor Lyman and assuredly the campaign, the next moneybomb is July 4th (http://independencedaybomb.com/).

So soon again... This guy sure does like to pull the trigger as fast as he can.

realtonygoodwin
06-05-2011, 09:30 PM
July 29, 30, 31 , a three day mega-bomb....

The Fraz That Payz
06-05-2011, 09:33 PM
I'm in for $100 every money bomb even if they are only a month apart. Ill give more if I got some extra FRNs lying around!

Delegate2
06-05-2011, 09:36 PM
It's all about collecting emails with Trevor, the forums do most of the work and he collects the data base.

Maximilian American
06-05-2011, 09:37 PM
I have two points...

1. I disagree with those who say to leave this discussion for tomorrow (after 12am), the floor never closes in my world and if something good can be said let it be said.

2. I am OK with a 4th of July Moneybomb as long as it is an extended MB like for a weekend or an entire week with a goal of 3 to 5 Million. Just having the MB on July 4th is uncomfortable for those who will be away from home and without access to any internet on the Holiday or simply not have the time to give it attention...plus many of their friends will not be available to make donations either if they are busy with their Holiday plans.

RileyE104
06-05-2011, 09:39 PM
I am OK with a 4th of July Moneybomb as long as it is an extended MB like for a weekend or an entire week with a goal of 3 to 5 Million.

Trevor Lyman's plan calls for a July 4th and 5th moneybomb.

I personally think it's too risky... We already risked it once and luckily got another million. IDK if risking another so soon is a very good idea.

Murphy's law states that anything that can go wrong will sooner or later.

mport1
06-05-2011, 09:43 PM
According to Trevor Lyman and assuredly the campaign, the next moneybomb is July 4th-5th (http://independencedaybomb.com/). However, I think our grassroots fundraising is in desperate need of innovation. We pioneered the moneybomb, but it's not new, not as exciting, and everyone uses it. Tickers for example. What happened to the 24/7 fundraising ticker? I think that encouraged donations. The meter on the ticker used to be a cool image like the statue of liberty, a thermometer, or picture of the constitution, but now it's just a line. And what happened to ronpaulgraphs? Those statistics were fascinating and tons of people checked it regularly.

I completely agree. We definitely need to find some ways to spice things up.

RileyE104
06-05-2011, 09:46 PM
I completely agree. We definitely need to find some ways to spice things up.

I'd like to see the ticker show exactly how many persons have donated so far..

Maximilian American
06-05-2011, 09:49 PM
Trevor Lyman's plan calls for a July 4th and 5th moneybomb.

Thanks for the info. Good thread too.

This is a good idea in my opinion. The die-hards will put in a strong contribution on the 4th and then the rest of the country will have a chance to contribute the next day when they are back from the Holiday.

I also like that there is another MB being organized on July 19th by someone else other than Trever Lyman or the campaign (ReadyAmesFire.com) that is grassroots written all over it and you know the die-hards will add a respectable result to that. Two MB's in July, I love it...totally pumps me up with excitement!

Maximilian American
06-05-2011, 09:51 PM
I'd like to see the ticker show exactly how many persons have donated so far..

Me too, and another member mentioned in a different thread that the average donation amount information should be available to us and the media shortly after the MB.

RileyE104
06-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Me too, and another member mentioned in a different thread that the average donation amount information should be available to us and the media shortly after the MB.

If the ticker showed how many people have donated so far, we could easily figure the average donation per person.

Sentinelrv
06-05-2011, 09:53 PM
I posted a thread here (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?296948-If-We-Can-Raise-1-Mil-With-Such-Short-Notice-Imagine-if-We-Had-More-Time-to-Promote-it!) without seeing this thread first. Here is what I wrote because I think it's very important...

The problem with this money bomb was that we only had a week to promote it. Everyone finally got on board once the campaign sent an email about it. Imagine if we actually took the initiative this time around and started promoting the next bomb much earlier instead of waiting to the last minute. If we can raise this much without even trying, imagine what we could do if everybody got behind the next date immediately and did their part in promoting it for the entire month. Everybody needs to utilize the fundraising board for this to happen. That board has been dead empty, when it could be used to pass ideas around for promoting the next big bomb.

People seem to complain that the money bombs are so close together, but if I remember correctly both the November 5th and December 16th money bombs were very close together and both were highly successful. Besides it not being farther into the campaign season, I think it comes down to people's lack of initiative in promoting these things. Use the entire next month to spread the next date through Facebook, Youtube, forum posts, etc... I seem to remember many many threads on this board in 2007 encouraging promotion of the 5th and 16th. This money bomb lacked that same drive from the grassroots and it still became successful. We could do so much more if only people joined in early enough and did everything they could. The energy we see in the forum right now is what we needed a week ago when we started to spread it around.

malkusm
06-05-2011, 09:55 PM
I like a "No More Bailouts" moneybomb theme

We have a noticeable lack of good ideas for the September/October time period. I think we should have a good push to end Q3 for Ron Paul's quarterly reporting (end of September). I think we could implicitly call out candidates while also generating mainstream GOP interest in Ron Paul by going with this "No More Bailouts" theme.

From Wikipedia:

In a dramatic meeting on September 18, 2008, Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson and Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke met with key legislators to propose a $700 billion emergency bailout. Bernanke reportedly told them: "If we don't do this, we may not have an economy on Monday."[154] The Emergency Economic Stabilization Act, which implemented the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP), was signed into law on October 3, 2008.[155]

How does September 18th sound for a "No More Bailouts" moneybomb?

Maximilian American
06-05-2011, 09:56 PM
If the ticker showed how many people have donated so far, we could easily figure the average donation per person.

That's true, thanks for pointing that out. I have a feeling that the July 4th-5th MB will have that and other ideas added to the live ticker.

libertybrewcity
06-05-2011, 09:56 PM

I like that theme, A LOT, but maybe it should be a week/few days before the Ames poll?
That way the moneybomb will be fresh in people's minds from media coverage before they vote there.

there are websites for the next 9 moneybombs

RileyE104
06-05-2011, 10:02 PM
The problem with this money bomb was that we only had a week to promote it.

Well, I think if you're a regular here we had at least two to three weeks to promote it. I personally felt like that wasn't enough either but thankfully we made it to a million again.

Everyone finally got on board once the campaign sent an email about it. Imagine if we actually took the initiative this time around and started promoting the next bomb much earlier instead of waiting to the last minute. If we can raise this much without even trying, imagine what we could do if everybody got behind the next date immediately and did their part in promoting it for the entire month.

Agreed... I know that if we could get even just 200,000 of Ron Paul's almost 400,000 fans on Facebook to donate at least $20 each it would be awesome. There's so much potential that Facebook offers us, if only we could find a way to better utilize it.

itsnobody
06-05-2011, 10:02 PM
I guess I'm for the three-day mega bomb (July 29, 30, 31)....sounds much more interesting than the other one-day ones...

Well whatever we decide on we need something really big to generate energy for the Iowa Ames Straw poll

GunnyFreedom
06-05-2011, 10:05 PM
While I love Independence day, i do not want to tread upon the Ames work.

I think September 17th Constitution Day is a critical one.

Of course November 5 and December 16

ETA - I had been thinking of calling July 4th the "Freedom Bomb" with a firework and tricorn hat theme. "The greatest celebration of Independence evar!" and everybody do July 4th picnics and talk about why Ron Paul is the best thing to save our nation.

ETAA - the other side is Ames puts another payday between now and next, which can help

Maximilian American
06-05-2011, 10:06 PM
I posted a thread here (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?296948-If-We-Can-Raise-1-Mil-With-Such-Short-Notice-Imagine-if-We-Had-More-Time-to-Promote-it!) without seeing this thread first. Here is what I wrote because I think it's very important...

The problem with this money bomb was that we only had a week to promote it. Everyone finally got on board once the campaign sent an email about it. Imagine if we actually took the initiative this time around and started promoting the next bomb much earlier instead of waiting to the last minute. If we can raise this much without even trying, imagine what we could do if everybody got behind the next date immediately and did their part in promoting it for the entire month. Everybody needs to utilize the fundraising board for this to happen. That board has been dead empty, when it could be used to pass ideas around for promoting the next big bomb.

People seem to complain that the money bombs are so close together, but if I remember correctly both the November 5th and December 16th money bombs were very close together and both were highly successful. Besides it not being farther into the campaign season, I think it comes down to people's lack of initiative in promoting these things. Use the entire next month to spread the next date through Facebook, Youtube, forum posts, etc... I seem to remember many many threads on this board in 2007 encouraging promotion of the 5th and 16th. This money bomb lacked that same drive from the grassroots and it still became successful. We could do so much more if only people joined in early enough and did everything they could. The energy we see in the forum right now is what we needed a week ago when we started to spread it around.

You bring up a lot of innefficiancies of this MB. The organizing should be started immediately. We all need to post on the fundraising board with ideas and actual work that is being done no matter how big or small, it will be both informative and motivational help to cover many goals. Utilizing the total time from now to the MB is critical to its success. Every day counts and should consist of a contribution from every individual. We have a major challenge to change this country's policies and it will take extraordinary effort from every single one of us.

afwjam
06-05-2011, 10:08 PM
YES great Job!!
Attend the Ready, Ames, Fire! Facebook event now! (https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=221469004546764)

Maximilian American
06-05-2011, 10:12 PM
I guess I'm for the three-day mega bomb (July 29, 30, 31)....sounds much more interesting than the other one-day ones...

Well whatever we decide on we need something really big to generate energy for the Iowa Ames Straw poll

While I love Independence day, i do not want to tread upon the Ames work.

I think September 17th Constitution Day is a critical one.

Of course November 5 and December 16

The more MB's the better, for its all about activity in my view. The more active we are the better, for every MB will have support that will help whether its a 5 Million dollar result on July 4th-5th, a $500,000 result on July 19th, and a 2 Million dollar result on July 29th-31st. Its lack of activity that subdues the energy of the movement.

mport1
06-05-2011, 10:16 PM
It looks like we have two competing money bombs in July going on right now for July 4th and July 19th. One of these needs to be the decided on and then efforts should be merged and we can start promoting.

afwjam
06-05-2011, 10:19 PM
The next one needs to be July 19th.
Attend the Ready, Ames, Fire! Facebook event now! (https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=221469004546764)

GunnyFreedom
06-05-2011, 10:20 PM
The best thing would be to publish a schedule from now until December 16th so that people can plan. it would have to be one we all agree upon.

July - Independence Day Freedom Bomb / Ready Ames Fire
September 17th Constitutional Liberty Bomb
November the 5th Remember, Remember
December 16th let's show em how a real Tea Party is done!

Maximilian American
06-05-2011, 10:23 PM
The best thing would be to publish a schedule from now until December 16th so that people can plan. it would have to be one we all agree upon.

Exactly, treat it like a channel. Let the market decide on the schedule for it. Information is key.

mport1
06-05-2011, 10:23 PM

Agreed, and that looks like a pretty solid list.

afwjam
06-05-2011, 10:27 PM

Don't forget Ron Paul's birthday august 20th!
I don't think we should do July 4th.

Should be:
Ready, Ames, Fire! July 19th
Ron Paul Birthday bomb August 20th
Constitution day bomb Sep 17th
Guy Fawkes day bomb Nov 5th
Tea party bomb Dec 16th

What do you think?

ronpaulordietrying
06-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Brainstorm:

Bring the troops home moneybomb
Legalize Marijuana Moneybombs
Lawyers suck moneybomb
END THE FED Moneybomb
END MONOPOLIES moneybomb
REAL CHANGE 2012 moneybomb
Humanitarian Moneybomb
Liberty Moneybomb
NO MORE TAXES MONEY BOMB
RAW MILK MONEY BOMB
DEPLETED URANIUM FREE moneybomb
Veteran Moneybomb
States Rights Moneybomb
China sucks moneybomb
restore america moneybomb
Boston Tea Party Money Bomb
Christian Values Money Bomb
Reagan Republican Money Bomb
Lets say we dont bomb Iran money bomb
"EXTREMIST" CAUSE WE DONT FIT IN BETWEEN THE 1 INCH GAP IN BETWEEN HILLARY CLINTON AND MITT ROMNEY MONEY BOMB

Maximilian American
06-05-2011, 10:33 PM
How about aquiring a permit for a rally on the Capital on September 17th to coincide with the Constitutional Day Liberty Bomb. I think that MB will be a major success with the time inbetween the previous ones' in July and the further up the campaign it is and that a same day or same weekend Rally could be a overall positive event.

Maximilian American
06-05-2011, 10:36 PM
BTW, Consitution Day is being "observed" on the 16th, anyone know why?

LibertyIn08
06-05-2011, 10:41 PM
BTW, Consitution Day is being "observed" on the 16th, anyone know why?

Federal Holidays on a weekend will generally take the preceding Friday or following Monday off.

Bryan
06-05-2011, 10:42 PM

Here's my proposal-- it does several things. One, it puts us on a money bomb schedule for once every 6 weeks for now, which I think is the best time frame for early in the campaign (so I agree with the OP on the risk factor).

Come November, things will really pick up, so we can do them once a month then.

This plan also accounts for the very important end of quarter totals and is a mix of money bombs and "fill the quill" efforts, both have a place. The campaign will not want us to hold off for a money bomb that is just after the end of a quarter. It's important to get all in before the end. Don't underestimate this as those FEC numbers get pushed hard in the media.

All money bomb themes should have as broad appeal as possible, to bring in more people. So here is what I have:

June 7 - June 30 -- End of second quarter push
July 19 -- Ready, Ames, Fire money bomb
Aug 30 (approx) -- money bomb ("No More Bailouts" theme suggested)
Sept 15 - Sept 30 -- End of third quarter push
mid Oct (11-17) -- money bomb (theme TBD)
November 11 -- For the Troops money bomb
December 16 -- Tea Party money bomb
Dec 17 - 31 - End of year push

There's flexibility in this, but the principles are important. The July 4th bomb misses the mark by being too soon and just after the end of the quarter. People are on vacation with family too.

Maximilian American
06-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Federal Holidays on a weekend will generally take the preceding Friday or following Monday off.

Thanks, I doubt that's Constitutional though.

Maximilian American
06-05-2011, 10:52 PM
The July 4th bomb misses the mark by being too soon and just after the end of the quarter. People are on vacation with family too.

I like your ideas because they put actual important campaign related events that will occur into consideration and thats a smart strategy, but the July 4th MB is a two day MB that is on the 5th too...do you still hold the same opinion of it?

Bryan
06-05-2011, 11:15 PM
I like your ideas because they put actual important campaign related events that will occur into consideration and thats a smart strategy, but the July 4th MB is a two day MB that is on the 5th too...do you still hold the same opinion of it?
Yes, since there are several other reasons too, it's too soon and just after the end of the quarter. If we have an end of second quarter push then it's just right after that.

Thanks for the feedback.

GunnyFreedom
06-05-2011, 11:24 PM
Here's my proposal-- it does several things. One, it puts us on a money bomb schedule for once every 6 weeks for now, which I think is the best time frame for early in the campaign (so I agree with the OP on the risk factor).

This plan also accounts for the very important end of quarter totals and is a mix of money bombs and "fill the quill" efforts, both have a place. The campaign will not want us to hold off for a money bomb that is just after the end of a quarter. It's important to get all in before the end. Don't underestimate this as those FEC numbers get pushed hard in the media.

All money bomb themes should have as broad appeal as possible, to bring in more people. So here is what I have:

There's flexibility in this, but the principles are important. The July 4th bomb misses the mark by being too soon and just after the end of the quarter. People are on vacation with family too.

I think that's too many. A lot of little ones work better than a few big ones, but you are almost getting down to one every paycheck there and that will be really hard to pull off.

July 19 Ready Ames Fire
November the 11th Remember the Troops

Gage
06-05-2011, 11:25 PM

I agree with this.

Bryan
06-05-2011, 11:36 PM
I think that's too many. A lot of little ones work better than a few big ones, but you are almost getting down to one every paycheck there and that will be really hard to pull off.
Sorry it ifs not clear- they aren't all money bombs- the end of quarter pushes are just a fun way to hit the campaigns quarterly fund raising goal. If there is a money bomb just after the quarter people will be saying (and rightfully so) to donate now, before the end of the quarter since the FEC reports are important.

So this is something for everyone-- money bombs every 6 weeks for now, 4 later, and end of quarter pushes.

Let me know if I'm off base still. :)

GunnyFreedom
06-05-2011, 11:39 PM
Sorry it ifs not clear- they aren't all money bombs- the end of quarter pushes are just a fun way to hit the campaigns quarterly fund raising goal. If there is a money bomb just after the quarter people will be saying (and rightfully so) to donate now, before the end of the quarter since the FEC reports are important.

So this is something for everyone-- money bombs every 6 weeks for now, 4 later, and end of quarter pushes.

ok, the end of quarter pushes are still pretty much compatible with the list of four I posted. I do think the mid-october one may be pushing it.

tpreitzel
06-05-2011, 11:42 PM

Really, "end of quarter pushes" will likely be received as a money bomb regardless of the semantics employed. Personally, your listing is too frequent. I think the next two money bombs should be late July at the earliest and in the middle of September. After the one in September, hold ONE more money bomb near the end of the quarter, NLT the middle of December due to Christmas and preferably in November.

Bryan
06-05-2011, 11:52 PM
ok, the end of quarter pushes are still pretty much compatible with the list of four I posted. I do think the mid-october one may be pushing it.

Really, "end of quarter pushes" will likely be received as a money bomb regardless of the semantics employed. Personally, your listing is too frequent. I think the next two money bombs should be late July at the earliest and in the middle of September. After the one in September, hold ONE more money bomb near the end of the quarter, NLT the middle of December due to Christmas and preferably in November.
I think what is most important is that we understand that the campaign is likely going to do end-of-quarter pushes to meet their quarterly goal-- so we need to work around that. It makes a lot of sense too, and if we had a money bomb just at the start of the quarter people would be saying to "donate now" - before the end of the quarter-- and that will have merit.

Also, there seems to be large agreement that 7-19 is the next best one. What happens after that is certainly up in the air, but there is also large agreement on the 11/5 or 11/11 dates and of course on 12-16.

Money bombs between 7/19 and 11/5 are a bit of a wild card, but should be 4-6 weeks apart. I don't think we'd know what is best yet, but we can both guess. :)

GunnyFreedom
06-05-2011, 11:55 PM

I think maybe different marketing. Some people will prefer to give regularly, like on the month or the quarter. Others will prefer to give on the events. You are really pointing the MBs and the EOQs to two different sets of people I think.

GunnyFreedom
06-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Yeah, wire your monthly givers more deeply into the EOQ pushes, and wire your event donors more deeply into the MB's

brent022
06-05-2011, 11:59 PM
I think a quarter long ticker, starting at the beginning of a quarter, with a campaign set goal for the quarter would encourage early donations as well as set up an end of the quarter MB to reach whatever hadn't been achieved. In this situation though I also believe the first goal should be one they expect to reach midway through the quarter that they could then increase. I remember in the last campaign watching the ticker fill up to the goal only to be replaced by a larger goal and as part of the grassroots feeling both accomplishment for reaching the first goal and challenge to reach the second.

The current MB's seem to focus on the challenge part with their larger goals but skipping the sense of accomplishment with the more reachable 1st goal.

Bryan
06-06-2011, 12:00 AM
I think maybe different marketing. Some people will prefer to give regularly, like on the month or the quarter. Others will prefer to give on the events. You are really pointing the MBs and the EOQs to two different sets of people I think.

Yeah, wire your monthly givers more deeply into the EOQ pushes, and wire your event donors more deeply into the MB's
Exactly. On both accounts.

Gage
06-06-2011, 12:00 AM
I think a quarter long ticker, starting at the beginning of a quarter, with a campaign set goal for the quarter would encourage early donations as well as set up an end of the quarter MB to reach whatever hadn't been achieved. In this situation though I also believe the first goal should be one they expect to reach midway through the quarter that they could then increase. I remember in the last campaign watching the ticker fill up to the goal only to be replaced by a larger goal and as part of the grassroots feeling both accomplishment for reaching the first goal and challenge to reach the second.

The current MB's seem to focus on the challenge part with their larger goals but skipping the sense of accomplishment with the more reachable 1st goal.

The FEC launched an investigation against Rand for using the ticker, which is the reason they can't keep the ticker up the entire time, only for moneybombs.

GunnyFreedom
06-06-2011, 12:03 AM
The FEC launched an investigation against Rand for using the ticker, which is the reason they can't keep the ticker up the entire time, only for moneybombs.

GAaahHH! http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz236/Aspigander/Emoticons/ExplodingHead.gif?t=1257281646

afwjam
06-06-2011, 12:04 AM
This is my revised schedule idea taking Bryan's end of quarter pushes into account.

How about:

June 6 - June 30 -- End of second quarter push
Constitution day bomb Sep 17-30 end of quarter push
Nov 11th Support Troops and Veterans.(Ron paul is the only veteran.)
Tea party bomb Dec 16th

We should talk about this in the fundraising forum.

tpreitzel
06-06-2011, 12:08 AM

Yes, employ the money bomb as a mechanism for reaching quarterly funding goals which naturally means ONE such money bomb will be held per quarter and the rest of the quarter will consist of a modified version of Bryan's "end of quarter pushes" or rather "end of month pushes". The money bomb should assume it's most appropriate place, the first week of the month in the last month of every quarter.

brent022
06-06-2011, 12:10 AM

Was there a conclusion to the investigation? I only ask because I dont see much difference in giving stats for a day comapred to another time period.

tpreitzel
06-06-2011, 12:14 AM
Was there a conclusion to the investigation? I only ask because I dont see much difference in giving stats for a day comapred to another time period.

I'd like to know the specific reason as well

MelissaWV
06-06-2011, 04:47 AM
Anything with "FEC investigation" in it should be avoided at the moment. Just donate. :p You don't need to see a month-long ticker, but if you do, you could donate to Iowa Projects since they have a ticker for each individual project.

Planning had started on that one some time ago. Making a fundraising event a few days before you need the money is ill-advised, though. If you need the money to reserve things or pay for materials, it will be too late.

The bolded part rankles. I think that's the only negative to come out of this, and it might bite us in the butt later.

The ticker looked good this time, and I would love to see those that hate it so much come up with alternatives, please :)

Slutter McGee
06-06-2011, 07:48 AM
I have never insulted Lyman. Not once. But this is crap. Screw his money bomb dates. Decide for ourselves.

Slutter McGee

Bryan
06-06-2011, 09:00 AM
I've been working to refine some principles for fundraising. For starters, I think there are two type of fund raising efforts that have value: single day money bombs and other "push" mini-drives that are a week or more. Both have a place in this campaign.

There are some obvious and much called-for pushes, such as the push for the FEC end of quarter deadlines. These drives are a must, others can be filled in too.

As we have seen, money bombs are still very important and can help raise big cash fast, however they must be timed properly.

Some people do not like money bombs and prefer to mini-drives, so this is why there is a need for both.

Money bombs should not be scheduled within about the first three weeks of a quarter. Why? Many will be arguing to "donate now" at the end of the quarter, and there will be good merit to that as the FEC numbers get pushed hard in the media as indicators of campaign strength.

Money bombs should also not be in the last few days of the quarter so if the bomb falls a little short of campaign goals for the quarter then those supporting the end-of-quarter push can take over and get us to the finish line.

Likewise, "push" mini-drives should end at least 7, 10 or 14 days before a money bomb so focus can shift, with a calm before the storm. So both techniques need to complement each other and not step on toes.

The second issue of money bombs is the interval. IMO, early in the campaign one every 6 weeks is a good timeframe. Later, once a month-- it will be hard to predict when that will happen, but it will for sure be no later than November.

The third issue on the money bombs is the themes. There are some obviously good dates that we did in 2007 that bear repeating, mainly:

One thing to keep in mind is that it is clear that the official campaign is going to use themes for the bombs, and with that, doing one on 11-5 will give them PR issues. Also, I do not think that a money bomb on Dr. Paul's birthday of August 20th is good for that reason as well, Dr. Paul is not a narcissist and the campaign would not want this, IMO. (How would their e-mail read? "Please donate on my birthday"?) As well, we need things with more emotional political appeal like the anti-Romneycare, or "No more bailouts". If we want to honor Dr. Paul we can do a money bomb on his and Carol's anniversary in 2012 like we did in 2008. I think he'd appreciate that more anyway and it is a very nice gesture to honor his family.

The July 4th bomb misses the mark by being too soon and just after the end of the quarter. People are on vacation with family too. It is also too close to the much better July 19th "Ready, Ames, Fire" money bomb.

The fourth issue is the day of the week for the money bomb. We're showing that Sundays can work, but I'd guess Saturday wouldn't be as good. Mondays have worked. Friday's might not be the best but both 11/11 and 12/16 are Fridays, but that still might not be enough to change them. Tu-Th are about the same. Considerations for day-after media impact are important too.

One final note, the campaign is going to have to anticipate how much money they are going to get, and spend appropriately. In other words, when they are spending for Ames in early July they should expect a good money bomb on the 19th and maybe spend as if they had 80% of what is projected.

So here is what I have:

June 7 - June 30 -- End of second quarter push (not a money bomb) This can focus to fund these http://iowaforronpaul.com/projects.php
Sept 15 - Sept 30 -- End of third quarter push (not a money bomb)
Dec 17 - 31 - End of year push (not a money bomb)

There's flexibility in this, particularly with the money bombs between July 19th and November 11th. The principles are important however.

Delegate2
06-06-2011, 10:13 AM
I like Bryans plan. It makes more sense.

Trigonx
06-06-2011, 10:51 AM
I like Bryan's plan as well because I really think this first FEC report for Q2 is gonna be of great importance to US if we can make a nice push and make sure we are a top dog in cash. Only part I disagree with is the money bomb in October should just be replaced with November the 5th, and the November 11th removed. We need to have a few big days and only way to do that is to let people save for 11/5, and that gives a bit more time for 12/16. I just wanna see big numbers, I know 1 mil is nice here and there, but the effect of 5 million in a day just feels better.

We could move the August bomb into early September, get a bit more time to gather funds, and lessens the gap to Nov 5th.

Michael P
06-06-2011, 11:00 AM
So here is what I have:

June 7 - June 30 -- End of second quarter push (not a money bomb)
Sept 15 - Sept 30 -- End of third quarter push (not a money bomb)
Dec 17 - 31 - End of year push (not a money bomb)

I like this. My 2c

White Bear Lake
06-06-2011, 11:07 AM
So it's Nov 11th this time, not Nov 5th?

PaulConventionWV
06-06-2011, 11:12 AM
The next money bomb needs to revolve around Ames Straw Poll (Supposedly it does), which is scheduled for August 13, 2011 at the Hilton Coliseum on the campus of Iowa State University. Someone mentioned perhaps a week long money bomb say from July 12th to July 19th. That will give the campaign an added boast before the event, and allow them to secure their money before the big event.

WE also need to have official and grassroots phonebanks in place to get the donations. If I don't hear some serious plans for phonebank fundraising in the next week, it will be hard to pull off with the limited time we have before Ames.

Plus the Iowa for Ron Paul Projects site http://iowaforronpaul.com/projects.php is down right now, which is a serious issue, considering we were trying to get a mini-bomb going towards that project tonight. We need assurances that this site will have a 99.999% uptime, especially during money bombs!

Right now their's a Independence Day Money Bomb Site up and an Ready Ames Fire site up, which one is it going to be, we can't have both. IMHO we need to dump the independence day one, and go with the July 19th Amesreadyfire one, and do some serious planning around it!

The grassroots needs to get behind the ReadyAmesFire moneybomb NOW. We can't let Trevor Lyman co-opt us into another moneybomb too soon on a bad day.

PaulConventionWV
06-06-2011, 11:34 AM
This is my revised schedule idea taking Bryan's end of quarter pushes into account.

How about:

June 6 - June 30 -- End of second quarter push
Constitution day bomb Sep 17-30 end of quarter push
Nov 11th Support Troops and Veterans.(Ron paul is the only veteran.)
Tea party bomb Dec 16th

We should talk about this in the fundraising forum.

This is a good list except for the October one. We don't need it. Let's just focus on the September one and the November one. A month off would be good for the others, IMO. We can still donate, we just won't have a moneybomb.

Bryan
06-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks Delegate2.

I like Bryan's plan as well because I really think this first FEC report for Q2 is gonna be of great importance to US if we can make a nice push and make sure we are a top dog in cash. Only part I disagree with is the money bomb in October should just be replaced with November the 5th, and the November 11th removed. We need to have a few big days and only way to do that is to let people save for 11/5, and that gives a bit more time for 12/16. I just wanna see big numbers, I know 1 mil is nice here and there, but the effect of 5 million in a day just feels better.

We could move the August bomb into early September, get a bit more time to gather funds, and lessens the gap to Nov 5th.
Q2 cash is going to be very important- we can't just do nothing until July. I updated the plan too in that the Q2 push should be to fund these: http://iowaforronpaul.com/projects.php

I totally agree that I want to see a $10M day, come November or December. It's too early to expect that but the $1M ones are good warm ups. :)

I personally like the 11/5 day over 11/11 but, as I said, if the campaign keeps picking up the dates then 11/5 will be an issue.

Thanks for the feedback!

Bryan
06-06-2011, 11:41 AM
So it's Nov 11th this time, not Nov 5th?
These are just ideas, certainly nothings written in stone-- and that is a long ways out, so plans can change. As I pointed out however, as the campaign adopted yesterdays money bomb (and applied their own theme) they will likely do so in the future, and I think they will prefer Veteran's Day over "V" or whatnot.

Bryan
06-06-2011, 11:43 AM
The grassroots needs to get behind the ReadyAmesFire moneybomb NOW.
I totally agree- I think the focus should be however for an end of quarter push to get these funded:
http://iowaforronpaul.com/projects.php

While we build up for the big ReadyAmesFire moneybomb.

Many people will want to support the end of quarter push, doing nothing for the rest of the quarter will be a big loss, IMO.

PaulConventionWV
06-06-2011, 11:47 AM
I totally agree- I think the focus should be however for an end of quarter push to get these funded:
http://iowaforronpaul.com/projects.php

While we build up for the big ReadyAmesFire moneybomb.

Many people will want to support the end of quarter push, doing nothing for the rest of the quarter will be a big loss, IMO.

Agreed. The end of the quarter push is a good idea, as well. My main concern is that the next moneybomb should NOT be on July 4th-5th or whatever. It's too early and it's not a good day.

Nate-ForLiberty
06-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Here are some lengthy posts I've made on the subject of moneybombs. I think they are worth a look-see. If you were involved in the moneybomb discussions back in February you've probably read all this before.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?280985-MoneyBomb!!!-Potential-Dates-for-RP2012&p=3131795&viewfull=1#post3131795

How many moneybombs should we have total?

Why? Moneybombs are a media stunt designed to garner nation wide attention Ron Paul otherwise would not receive. News is only news if it happens rarely, or at least has the appearance of happening rarely. 5 moneybombs is way too much.

1st Moneybomb (late april/early may) - get the attention of the media, supply Ron with plenty of cash for quarter 2. Having it earlier than late april/early may would seem counterproductive since he will probably announce in April and we'll need time to advertise. When Ron announces people will want to donate immediately, which is good because he'll need starting out funds. Expect this moneybomb to raise a few million at most. We should aim for more, but expecting 10 million on the first go around may be a bit much. Remember, it is not all about raising all of the money on one day. We have 3 months each quarter to bust our asses getting the word out about Ron Paul. [I like May 2nd as the first moneybomb because it is the day of the first debate, it's not on a weekend, and, because the debate will be going on, it has the potential to bring in donors who would most likely not have considered giving money to Ron Paul or any politician. It is a wonderful chance to expand our donor base. The theme could simply be the "Reagan Debate Moneybomb" or something like that. It puts the attention on the debate itself.] May 2nd is a Monday.

2nd Moneybomb (July 4th weekend is a bad time for this, early August would be much better; Aug 5th 1861 the first Income Tax act was passed, signed by Lincoln) - The purpose of the second moneybomb will be to show the media that we are quickly increasing in number (of supporters), refill Dr. Paul's coffers, and keep the public eye focused on the Presidential race. The beginning of August sees a lot of things starting up and ending (i.e. school, summer camps, certain types of work. It's a crazy time that can distract the average person). This second moneybomb's main purpose though is to raise awareness to insane levels for the 3rd and final moneybomb. As we have this 2nd moneybomb we need to make people aware of the last moneybomb for 2012. This means all our ducks have to be in a row. [I like August 5th for this day because the theme would be a defiant one. "Repeal the Income Tax!". It is also a week before Ames Iowa giving a great (as in optimal) amount of time for Dr. Paul to do the media rounds before hand.] August 5th is a Friday.

3rd Moneybomb (I'd like to see November 11th, Veterans' Day) - This is our chance to really show our numbers. The main purpose of this moneybomb is MONEY! After this day, Ron Paul's coffers should be fatter than Oprah at a KFC convention. If we can blow the top off of his funds he can saturate the media outlets with ads right before the primaries begin. This will also show that he has a massive wide range of support and a SERIOUS CHANCE TO WIN. People need to be convinced other people are going to vote for him. This is that chance to show them that YES! we are legion! [I like Veterans' Day because of the wide range of appeal. I'm sure by this time Ron Paul will be able to tout "most donations from military personnel" again.] November 11th is a Friday. It is also 11/11/11.

A major point of interest with all of these moneybombs is that they come near the middle of the quarter. This allows the official Campaign to "push" at the end for more funds and be able to get a sizable response. They are spread out to allow for an increase in awareness and personal funds, and are not too late to not make a difference.

Why is December 16th not in my recommended days?

- We need to show that we are bigger than the Tea Party. Ron Paul did not join the Tea Party caucus, December 16th is just too late for the official campaign to do anything with the money.

Remember, there is no formula for what we are doing! Just because something was successful in the past does not mean it will be again. Our biggest asset is our willingness to explore and try things that haven't been done before.

this was yesterday....
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?296942-Could-Ron-Make-More-Without-Money-Bombs&p=3322644&viewfull=1#post3322644

I don't know if he could raise more money or not, but he could definitely get the money faster without them. The first moneybomb the '08 campaign experienced was a 2 day weekend push that brought in a million bucks. It was fueled by a live ticker with the stated goal of first $500K and then $1 Million. This is what I think we should do. Instead of setting the bar so high, we need to set attainable goals and then blow them completely away. I wish we would do away with the "moneybomb" and let the campaign take care of "when" they receive donations.

A 24/7 ticker with a stated goal would go a long way in bringing in good sums of money faster. I personally do not feel the excitement during moneybombs this time around that I felt in the fall of '07. I want constant relatively small goals set by the campaign for us to fulfill.

i.e. "500K by Sunday!" -- then if we get the $500k by friday, the campaign ups the ante to "$1 Million by Sunday!!"

or maybe even

"Project Knock Knock 10,000 Homes By Friday" -- and if we report that we've hit 11,000 homes by Wednesday they up the ante to "20,000 Homes By Friday!!"

This approach shows the grassroots what the immediate goals and expectations are from the campaign, and it allows the grassroots to see itself meeting and exceeding those goals. There is a sense of victory once the 1st goal is met and then a sense of urgency when the second goal is set. I feel like people would respond much better to this. Also, with the different types of projects available for this kind of marketing, it would keep the grassroots alert and on their toes, not knowing what they will be called to do next.

But all this requires a 24/7 ticker. Contact the campaign!

and then the idea that came out of this thread

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?291498-4-Million-For-Freedom-on-the-Fourth!!!!

i'll bump these threads

Bryan
06-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Nate, you have a lot of good points, and I totally agree that 11/11/11 should be the big one that sets the tone. I disagree in the 12/16 however, this can be big and done at the time when we bring in lots of people into the fold, and the last before any votes are cast. I don't think it's too late however in that the campaign will need to anticipate the influx and pre-spend much of it. They couldn't do that in '07, they can now.

The only issue is what happens between now and 11/11. There is already some momentum for 7/19, and while it may not be 4+ million, it can bring in a lot. In some ways the money bombs might change from being a big media stunt to a steady cash-raising, fun event where we can gauge our growth. I don't think there is any right answer here, and we can see that far out, but there are some good principles that we should consider.

Nate-ForLiberty
06-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Nate, you have a lot of good points, and I totally agree that 11/11/11 should be the big one that sets the tone. I disagree in the 12/16 however, this can be big and done at the time when we bring in lots of people into the fold, and the last before any votes are cast. I don't think it's too late however in that the campaign will need to anticipate the influx and pre-spend much of it. They couldn't do that in '07, they can now.

The only issue is what happens between now and 11/11. There is already some momentum for 7/19, and while it may not be 4+ million, it can bring in a lot. In some ways the money bombs might change from being a big media stunt to a steady cash-raising, fun event where we can gauge our growth. I don't think there is any right answer here, and we can see that far out, but there are some good principles that we should consider.

If 12/16 isn't too late for the campaign, it might be alright. I think it will happen no matter what since there is so much Tea Party attachment to that date. I just don't want to see people holding out for "the big day" as if donating on 12/16 will single handedly destroy the Illuminati.

Between now and 11/11/11, if the campaign was to implement the ideas in my second quote, that would bring about the support needed for a massive mega super ultra moneybomb. It's really up to the campaign though. And of course, how does that compliment or conflict with the monthly moneybomb schedule that will be pushed by Lyman.

Bryan
06-06-2011, 01:08 PM
If 12/16 isn't too late for the campaign, it might be alright. I think it will happen no matter what since there is so much Tea Party attachment to that date. I just don't want to see people holding out for "the big day" as if donating on 12/16 will single handedly destroy the Illuminati.
I totally agree, no one should hold out cash- the big bombs will come from new people on board.

Between now and 11/11/11, if the campaign was to implement the ideas in my second quote, that would bring about the support needed for a massive mega super ultra moneybomb. It's really up to the campaign though. And of course, how does that compliment or conflict with the monthly moneybomb schedule that will be pushed by Lyman.
I totally agree with this- and if you look at my suggestions that is a part of it. There needs to be regular "pushes", at least for the end of quarters, and more as seen fit. The key is that these pushes and the money bombs should compliment each other, not conflict-- again, that's a part of my suggestions.